• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 196 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
Welcome to this year's thread for the race that is its own championship. Win in class, and you've survived a major challenge with some of the world's most capable race cars. Win overall, and you are a god. This is my personal favorite race of the year. Sportscar racing veterans know this race very well. But in case you're new to this race, allow me to introduce and offer my own personal commentary on this race.

--- Introduction to Le Mans ---

*** INTRO ***
The 24 Hours of Le Mans is the race to win if you want to really establish yourself on a world stage. Since 1923, Le Mans, France is home to the world's biggest race in which 1/16 of the course uses the Bugatti Circuit while the other 15/16 is comprised of French country roads. It is a two-hour drive west southwest of beautiful Paris. The reason why this is one of the world's finest race tracks is because it can be a dream come true, or a hellish nightmare. You must be invited to compete in this race. Winning makes include Bentley, Ford, Porsche, Audi, Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, and many more. Winning teams have ranged from the Bentley Boys all the way to Joest Racing. A variety of cars race at once including two classes of Prototype and two classes of GT. Prototype cars are usually very beautiful and powerful. They are no doubt the lighter of the two major classes. LMP1 is the top class while LMP2 is the other class in Prototypes. LMP2 cars are much lighter than LMP1 entries, but not as powerful and not as fast. Grand Touring machines are based on road-going machines. GT1 (or LMGT1 for Le Mans) are reserved for the more powerful road-going machines like the Chevrolet Corvette C6 and the Aston Martin DB9. GT2 (or LMGT2 for Le Mans) are reserved for less-powerful cars which aren't seriously modified for top performance. These cars range from Porsche GT models to the lovely and alluring Ferrari F430.

*** THE TRACK ***
Don't let its simplicity fool you. This track is almost 8.5 miles long (13.5 or 14 kilometers) with its fair share of chicanes and straights. This track is like a French Autobahn, but remember that there are plenty of tricky corners that will prevent you from getting too carried away at high speeds. The western end of the course consist of the Dunlop Chicane, Esses, and Tetre Rouge. Tetre Rouge is very tricky because you have to be at a certain speed to navigate it properly. Take it from my video and compupter game experiences. The Hunadieres (most refer to it as the Mulsanne Straight) is where you can enjoy high-speed action. Television doesn't do much justice as to how fast these cars can get at high speeds. In addition to high speed action here, it is also bumpy on these streets. The games "Le Mans 24 Hours" and "Gran Turismo 4" both simulate the bumpiness of the track wonderfully. Back in the old days, there were no two chicanes. It used to be flat-out racing. It is nowadays broken up by the L'Arche Chicane followed by the La Florandiere Chicane. The Mulsanne Kink is a slight bend to the right. After that, get ready to slow her down because the Mulsanne Corner will test your brakes. It is another high-speed section leading to the tricky Indianapolis corner, followed by the trickier Arnage. The Porsche Curves offer a combination of elevation changes and some blind corners. Maison Blanche follows the Porsche Curves and is just as tricky as the Porsche Curves. The final section is the Ford Chicane. This chicane leads to the Start/Finish line. Prototypes will finish laps between 3:30 to 3:50. GT cars will finish laps between 3:40 to even 4:10.

*** WHY SHOULD YOU CARE? ***
Many of the world's top auto makers and highest-class race manufacturers are competiting with some of the world's most advanced race cars. Countless hours in the wind tunnel. Countless time getting into shape. Miles of practice laps. And let's not forget what winning this race means. Winning this race means that you've survived 24 hours of mayhem to feel like you're on top of the world. Your home country will love you. Your winning chassis and manufacturer will be more than proud you've exposed the brand and taken them to victory in such a grueling endurance race as the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Most of the auto makes and drivers involved have earned their way into Le Mans. It's why I say this race is like its own championship. You "qualify" by getting Le Mans invites by doing well in Le Mans invite races. From that point, you're already a winner regardless of where you qualify. The race is its own championship. Winning this one-race championship is what makes it sweeter to win. This race only happens once a year. No restart button. No cheat codes. No second takes. You get only one shot to make yourself a star in northern France. Make it count!

*** WHY SHOULD YOU CARE? - THIS YEAR ***
Audi won't be the only diesel team as Peugeot wants to retain some solidarity of French racing teams winning in France. Peugeot hasn't won Le Mans since 1993. Some might say that a Peugeot win over Audi would be an upset. There's that possibility of Peugeot perhaps upsetting Audi this year. In GT1, the Corvettes will soon find out that they aren't the only world power in GT1 racing. This is especially if the Corvettes get upset by some of the other GT1 teams. We saw Panoz upset the Porsches and Ferraris last year. Can Panoz make it two straight? Or can the other GT2 teams make some noise? It is said that spice is the variety of life. Well, the variety of racing machines is what makes sportscar racing what it is- diverse and fun. Always a factor each year with this race.

And that is all. Let this be your thread to preview Le Mans, talk about during Le Mans if you're online, and review the results of this year's Le Mans race. You are also free to come up with some extra comments about this year's event. I will offer my own comments including some "FACT OR FICTION?" questions. This is my personal sixth Le Mans and the third or fourth Le Mans I've covered on GTPlanet. So feel free to communicate about this race and what it means to all the teams. Get this thread started!

to give an idea of this fast, bumpy, and tricky circuit, we'll take a lap around the famed Track onboard the #37 Intersport Lola.

This years entrylist:

LMP1
1 AUDI SPORT NORTH AMERICA DEU AUDI R10
2 AUDI SPORT NORTH AMERICA DEU AUDI R10
3 AUDI SPORT TEAM JOEST DEU AUDI R10
5 SWISS SPIRIT CHE LOLA AUDI B07 - 10
7 TEAM PEUGEOT TOTAL FRA PEUGEOT 908
8 TEAM PEUGEOT TOTAL FRA PEUGEOT 908
9 CREATION AUTOSPORTIF LTD GBR CREATION JUDD CA07
10 ARENA INTERNATIONAL MOTORSPORT GBR ZYTEK 07S
12 COURAGE COMPETITION FRA COURAGE AER LC70
13 COURAGE COMPETITION FRA COURAGE AER LC70
14 RACING FOR HOLLAND BV NLD DOME JUDD S101
15 CHAROUZ RACING SYSTEM CZE LOLA JUDD B07 - 17
16 PESCAROLO SPORT FRA PESCAROLO JUDD
17 PESCAROLO SPORT FRA PESCAROLO JUDD
18 ROLLCENTRE RACING GBR PESCAROLO JUDD
19 CHAMBERLAIN - SYNERGY MOTORSPORT GBR LOLA AER B06 - 10
LM P2
20 PIERRE BRUNEAU FRA PILBEAM JUDD MP93
24 NOEL DEL BELLO FRA COURAGE - AER LC75
25 RML GBR LOLA AER B05 - 40
28 TEAM BRUICHLADDICH RADICAL GBR RADICAL AER SR9
29 T2M MOTORSPORT JPN DOME MADER S101-5
31 BINNIE MOTORSPORTS USA LOLA ZYTEK B05 - 40
32 BARAZI EPSILON FRA ZYTEK 07S/2
33 BARAZI EPSILON FRA ZYTEK 07S/2
35 SAULNIER RACING ESP COURAGE AER LC75
40 QUIFEL - ASM TEAM PRT LOLA AER B05 - 40
44 KRUSE MOTORSPORT DEU PESCAROLO JUDD
LMGT1
006 A.M.R. LARBRE COMPETITION FRA ASTON MARTIN DBR9
007 ASTON MARTIN RACING GBR ASTON MARTIN DBR9
008 A.M.R. LARBRE COMPETITION FRA ASTON MARTIN DBR9
009 ASTON MARTIN RACING GBR ASTON MARTIN DBR9
53 JLOC ISAO NORITAKE JPN LAMBORGHINI MURCIELAGO
54 TEAM ORECA FRA SALEEN S7R
55 TEAM ORECA FRA SALEEN S7R
59 TEAM MODENA GBR ASTON MARTIN DBR9
63 CORVETTE RACING USA CORVETTE C6.R
64 CORVETTE RACING USA CORVETTE C6.R
67 CONVERS MENX TEAM RUS FERRARI 550 MARANELLO
70 PSI EXPERIENCE BEL CORVETTE C6-R
72 LUC ALPHAND AVENTURES FRA CORVETTE C6.R
73 LUC ALPHAND AVENTURES FRA CORVETTE C5-R
100 ASTON MARTIN RACING BMS ITA ASTON MARTIN DBR9
LMGT2
71 SEIKEL MOTORSPORT DEU PORSCHE 911 GT3 RSR (997)
76 IMSA PERFORMANCE MATMUT FRA PORSCHE 911 GT3 RSR (997)
78 AF CORSE ITA FERRARI F 430 GT
80 FLYING LIZARD MOTORSPORT USA PORSCHE 911 GT3 RSR (997)
81 TEAM LNT GBR PANOZ ESPERANTE
82 TEAM LNT GBR PANOZ ESPERANTE
83 GPC SPORT SRL ITA FERRARI F 430 GT
85 SPYKER SQUADRON b.v. NLD SPYKER C8 SPYDER
86 SPYKER SQUADRON b.v. NLD SPYKER C8 SPYDER
87 SCUDERIA ECOSSE GBR FERRARI F 430 GT
93 AUTORLANDO SPORT ITA PORSCHE 911 GT3 RSR (997)
97 RISI COMPETIZIONE USA FERRARI F 430 GT
99 RISI COMPETIZIONE USA FERRARI F 430 GT
RESERVE CARS
98 R1 ICE POL RACING TEAM BEL FERRARI F 430 GT
77 R2 TEAM FELBERMAYR-PROTON DEU PORSCHE 911 GT3 RSR (997)
92 R3 THIERRY PERRIER FRA PORSCHE 911 GT3 RSR (997)
84 R4 CHAD PENINSULA PANOZ GBR PANOZ ESPERANTE
86 R5 IMSA PERFORMANCE MATMUT FRA PORSCHE 911 GT3 RSR (997)

I would have loved to see the 1999 race with that awesome Toyota GT-One. I'm still a bit saddened that it couldn't join Mazda as the only two Japanese makes to win Le Mans. But this was when Audi was "developing" their two superweapons- the Audi R8, and the Bentley EXP GT.

Now, Audi and Corvette won't think they rule the world (unless that world is America and Canada) as they'll have plenty of opposition to work through. Year after year, I consider this the ultimate motorsports holiday. It's 24 hours of racing that really excites me as a sportscar racing fan. I want to see some of the best cars- they got 'em. I want to see some of the best drivers in these best cars- damn skippy. I want the marriage of man/woman and machine try to outlive a day-to-night-to-day challenge- good to go. I personally think this race connects me better than almost any other in the world. I've loved sportscar racing for as long as I've been involved as a racing fan. Say what you want about this style of racing versus any other. This is my favorite, and I hope to inject my emotion into all of my posts for this thread.

Now let me take a look at the entry list. I'm going to try something new here.

* (LMP1) I think LMP1 is going to come down to Audi vs. Pescarolo vs. Peugeot. I have only seen one online video of the Peugeot 908 in action, but it was only a test session around the Paul Ricard Circuit (name of the track failed me). In my view, I'd love to see Pescarolo win Le Mans. I can remember the classic 2005 race when Pescarolo came back from three laps down, just to be back into the pits and out of contention. I feel sorry for Mr. Henri Pescarolo. He's somewhat of a national hero around that part of France. I'd love to see him do it. Pescarolo is easily the finest privateer in this deal. If I had to pick a dark horse in LMP1, I may go with Creation Autosportif.
* (LMP2) It can be tough picking an LMP2 winner since this is madly competitive. RML is a pretty tough team in that class. I'd love to see either of the Zyteks or a Radical get it done in P2. Having said this, my dark horse would be the Radical AER SR9. A funny thing about Radical is that those mini-LMPs are usually for those who may never get a chance to race bigtime sportscar racing. This SR9 IS in bigtime sportscar racing! They set a pretty good pace last year and hope they can keep up the good work.
* (LMGT1) How would Pratt and Miller do if they raced in the LMS and not the ALMS? They may be competiting against cars like in this year's entry list. Some of the European folks were sold on the fact that the DBR9 is an awesome race car. I counted about six of them in GT1. How many were at Sebring 2007? One, and lost really bad. American Muscle comes in the form of those damned Corvettes and those also-awesome Saleen S7-Rs. The Lamborghini Murciélago is back by popular demand by the Japanese Lamborghini Owners Club (JLOC) as the Convers Menx team campaigns a 550 Maranello. I think here's no beating Corvette. I'd love to see Aston Martin win, but the chances of them upsetting (if you want to call it that) the 'Vettes are about 35% to me. My dark horse is a big one- the Lamborghini Murciélago GT-R. I still remember getting up close to a road-going variant of this wicked Lambo at a Houston Auto Show. Sexy as hell as is fast as hell. But can JLOC maybe stun some of their American and European counterparts? Slim chance. But who's to say upsets don't happen at Le Mans?
* (LMGT2) To some of you who know me on here, I'm usually singing the praises of Risi Competizione. I would say that it is an easy choice to go with Risi at Le Mans. But two car companies whose names start with "P" have something to say about Ferrari thinking they'll run over the LMGT2 field. The first is Porsche, and the second is the team who upset the LMGT2 world- Panoz. Can Panoz do it again? Somewhat likely. Can Porsche return to GT2 dominance? Likely. Hell of a fight? You bet! I have maybe two dark horses. Either one of the Spykers would be an upset overall, then maybe the GPC Sport SRL Ferrari. Since the ALMS is generally in my market, I never really get to examine other teams that doesn't race the ALMS. Likewise, most LMS fans probably don't know what the ALMS can really be like. So there's always that sort of "also-ran" factor in which inexperienced fans pick groups from series they are familiar with, then discount anyone from another series. But there's still the chance that another Ferrari outside of Risi can get it done at Le Mans.

The race is on the weekend of June 16-17, but I still have a long ways to go in talking about this year's race. Comment away.

I am going to the race this year for the first time. I am quite excited because Villeneuve is going to be there, Sebastien Loeb in the Pescarolo should also be there and I'll get to see the Aston Martins and Corvettes and that lone Saleen S7R. I am not quite excited about the Audis, I think they've had enough Le Mans wins and should move on and stop dominating the sport, so I'll be supporting Peugeot and Pescarolo. Maybe with a lot of luck on their part and bad luck on Audis part, someone other than Audi can finally win Le Mans.

Give us a forecast, MustangSVT. What are the chances (out of 100%) either Pescarolo or Peugeot knocks off Audi at Le Mans this year? What are some of your storylines regarding Audi vs. Peugeot in the diesel battle?

My main storyline is, Audi has a year of experience with the R10 while the Peugeot will do its first Le Mans with this 908. So the storyline there would be experience. Peugeot has won Le Mans before, but can they do it again with this diesel effort? Peugeot has provided power to some privateer teams, but this effort is definitely for real. Perhaps a non-factor is trying to get into this car. Ultimatecarpage.com's numbers and facts on this car can be found here:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=car.php&carnum=3064 (WARNING: may contain ads)

The Peugeot 908 HDi FAP has some pretty good numbers. (all according to ultimatecarpage.com's entry on this car) It's a diesel twin-turbo V-12 that makes about 700 horsepower and an insane 885 lb. ft (1200 Nm) of torque. This diesel has 5,500 liters (335.6 cu in) displacement. It weighs about 2,039 lbs. or 925 kilograms. It's said to have a paddle-operated six-speed semi automatic transmission. Now let's compare these numbers to the Audi R10 TDI. The 2006 Audi R10 is powered by a TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) V12 packing 650hp and 811 lb. ft (1100 Nm) of torque. The R10 weighs in at 2,039 lbs. or 925 kg. Displacement is at 5,499 liters or 335.6 cu. in. All driven by an X-Trac 5-speed sequential shift.

Let's match them heads-up. All of which based on my "research" on ultimatecarpage.com.

POWER
Peugeot over Audi (700 vs. 650)

TORQUE
Peugeot over Audi (not even close- 885 vs. 811)

WEIGHT
-pretty much a draw-

TRANSMISSION
I'm probably guessing that the Peugeot may be able to go through the gears quicker unless the cars come equipped with a very low first gear. I usually have my doubts about a very fast car with only five gears. Put that into perspective with some other 5-gear Le Mans machines like the Mazda 787B and the Nissan R92CP. So I'll reserve my judgement.

All in all, the Audi vs. Peugeot match is going to be a classic at Le Mans if both of them run all-out and keep up a steady pace all race long. Imagine if Peugeot knocks off Audi. Hell... it will be more like "Viva la France! Viva Peugeot!" And it will be the first time since 1999 that a car company not part of VW/Audi won it all at Le Mans.

Any more thoughts on this event? As an off-topic note, thank you RACECAR for providing these YouTube videos for my Le Mans and Nürburgring threads.

I'll get to see the Aston Martins and Corvettes and that lone Saleen S7R.

According to Team666's posted entry list, there will be two Saleen S7Rs, run by Team ORECA. :)

As for the race itself, I expect an Audi R10 to win this one. It's hard to bet against one Audi in a 24 hour race, let alone three Audis and two teams. Although, I must say, I was impressed with Peugeot's debut at Monza. Both cars had issues with - of all things - their doors not closing properly, but they were very quick and fairly reliable. I expect Audi and Peugeot to be evenly matched for several hours at Le Mans, but Audi will win with experience and reliability. Pescarolo will be relegated to "best of the rest," unfortunately.

Here's something I forgot to mention with this Audi vs. Peugeot deal. This battle means nothing if there is not a solid driver lineup for both outfits. I'm sure that if Audi can bring the pain with its driver lineup, then I'm sure Peugeot would follow suit.

So let's paint a picture here. Imagine Peugeot wins the Le Mans 24. What do you think would be the reaction sportscar racing fans and media would say about defeating Audi? Would it be like when the GT40s knocked off Ferrari in the 1960s, or just "eh. We expected to win?" * Also, let's imagine that Pescarolo won Le Mans over factory efforts from Audi and Peugeot. Would Pescarolo be the ultimate dragon slayer? Would this be yet another classic Le Mans moment?

What do you think?

Here's something I forgot to mention with this Audi vs. Peugeot deal. This battle means nothing if there is not a solid driver lineup for both outfits. I'm sure that if Audi can bring the pain with its driver lineup, then I'm sure Peugeot would follow suit.

So let's paint a picture here. Imagine Peugeot wins the Le Mans 24. What do you think would be the reaction sportscar racing fans and media would say about defeating Audi? Would it be like when the GT40s knocked off Ferrari in the 1960s, or just "eh. We expected to win?" * Also, let's imagine that Pescarolo won Le Mans over factory efforts from Audi and Peugeot. Would Pescarolo be the ultimate dragon slayer? Would this be yet another classic Le Mans moment?

What do you think?

The two Peugeot crews are:
Pedro LAMY (P) / Stéphane SARRAZIN (F) / Sébastien BOURDAIS (F)
Marc GENE (E) / Nicolas MINASSIAN (F) / Jacques VILLENEUVE (C)
Not bad, eh?
I expect Tom Kristensen to be one of Audi´s drivers, and I´ve also heard an unconfirmed rumour about Mattias Ekström (DTM).

I think a loss for Audi would be very good for sportscar racing. The world would see that it´s not impossible to do, and start trying harder to beat the Audis. Same if the ´Vettes lost in LMGT1. At least it would affect ALMS in a positive way.
If Audi wins, I can actually see them withdraw from the sport, since thay have achieved what they meant to do. The R10 would still be there, but in the hands of privateers. Where will Audi go if they quit? If Toyota withdraw their F1 effort at the end of this year, I say F1. If not F1, I can see them taking on a GT1 effort.

The drivers for Audi are:
Biela, Pirro, Werner
McNish, Kristensen, Capello

The Team Joest car is expected to be driven by Audi's DTM drivers. The four in running were Mike Rockenfeller, Lucas Luhr, Alexandre Premat and Mattias Ekstrom. Since Premat had an unfortunate shunt last weekend, its probably the other three who are driving.

No doubt. The Audi R10 and Peugeot 908 HDi FAP are two awesome machines. Do remember that this race is about endurance and not all-out performance. The R10 could be a through-and-through beast, but it means nothing if it can't withstand the test of time. There's almost no preparation for Le Mans. That's what makes winning this race even more intense. Only part of the Circuit de la Sarthe are portions of the Bugatti Circuit. But you have no real preparation for stuff like bumpy streets and continued high speeds like this.

I go back to thinking that I don't KNOW the Peugeot 908 HDi FAP. All I seen was that Paul Ricard test a long while ago. I'm going to have to "study film," so to speak. Yeah. An NFL approach. Have to really see what this car is all about. It's one thing about being here in America and not having too much of an idea of the other competitors. Speed Channel is usually scared that not showing a bit of the LMS and such is going to have NASCAR fans revolting. So most fans in America who have no idea about the 908 is going to be very curious about its performance. Some may even see it for the first time when Le Mans rolls around. How do you know about a race car that you've never seen perform on TV or in videos? I'm not discrediting Peugeot in any such way.

--- 24 Hours of Le Mans: Grand Touring 1 ---
I now want to turn attention over to GT1. The Corvette boys have blazed a path unlike any other. I still don't like the yellow colors, but they win races in GT1 like it's nothing. Even when Corvette stumbled as Aston Martin was leading, Corvette still won. This had me curious after the St. Petersburg or Long Beach rounds when there was talk of Corvette perhaps trying out GT2 with GT2-spec Corvettes (you're still not going to hammer Porsche and Ferrari). If the Corvettes go, then what's the future of GT1? May as well do like (I hate to bring up a rival series) the GARRA and make GT all one class with not seriously-capable cars while the prototypes have all the fun. Or this can be averted if more competitors (even if privateers) step up to the plate in GT1. I'm inclined to believe that the almost every other car in the GT1 entry list just may not be up to snuff against the more-or-less recent and still capable Corvettes from Corvette Racing USA. I think the DBR9 has yet to beat the Corvettes at Le Mans. This MAY be their year since about six of them are in this year's entry list. This isn't FACT OR FICTION?, but I think the highest-placed Aston Martin may be the #007 Aston Martin. I still think the Astons will have to run a steady pace all race long if they want GT1 honors. I think the 550 Maranello is going to be a complete non-factor in GT1 perhaps along with the JLOC Lamborghini. The JLOC (Japanese Lamborghini Owners Club) Murciélago GT-R may surprise folks in Practice or Qualifying, but they are an extreme dark horse. I think that car is incredibly fast having raced one in GTR. I just hope the Lambo and its driver lineup can make a little noise in GT1. Finally, I get to the Saleen S7R models. I think I've seen Team Oreca colors for these Saleens. They have a beautiful blue colors with several different accents representing the French flag. I always say that blue is beautiful. Oreca in this GT1 field is like Pescarolo in P1- the best French threats (not discounting Peugeot in P1) to win Le Mans in class. But again, I go back to the argument of aging cars. Can the Saleen S7R's by Team Oreca hold their own ground and stand tall against more recent machinery?

You're free to talk any aspect of Le Mans, but what are your GT1 thoughts as I attempt to talk about this year's race in a piece-by-piece basis? I may touch up on P2 and GT2 in a future post.

Concerning GT1, I think the Oreca Saleens have a fair chance on the top spots. They won last years LMS, and have since developed the cars further. They have run one of the Saleens for a full 24hrs test, with a welcome result, as the Saleens are notorious for unreliability.
The JLOC Lambo can obviously be counted out, if you look at its performance last year. If they however buy some tech from Reiter engineering, they may be a contender. The Reiter developed Murcielago R-GT won the first FIA GT race this season, against cars like Aston Martin DBR9, Corvette C6.R, Maserati MC12 and Ferrari 575M.
Aston Martin will have a close race with the bulletproof Corvettes to begin with, as usual, but have they worked out their reliability issues? I don´t know, but if they have, the Astons will be up there.

I actually hope that Team Corvette will be dethroned, as that would have a positive effect on the sport.

To start this off I must say that I'm an absolute GT1 nut! I could care less about P1 or P2. I simply can't get into the whole "prototype" racing. I like being able to identify with the cars.​
As of late I've been very pleased with team Corvette. I absolutely love the yellow, but hey everyone's got an opinion. I'd love to see the Corvettes bully the Aston Martins again, but I fear that it would be bad for the sport. Someone else needs to win. Someone has got to push Team Corvette. Last year the ALMS battle between the C-6R's and DBR9 was epic to say the least and I can only hope for a good race this year. Unfortunately, other than those two cars this field is non-existent. The Saleens have shown some good speed in LMS, but they broke. One darkhorse for me would be the French Corvette team.​
I've always been curious at the lack of participation in GT1. Ferrari's efforts are laughable. Lamborgini isn't competitive. My question is, where are all the supercars/makers? Where's the Maserati? I know Audi is after the overall and Porche likes to stay in GT2, but do they have nothing capable of competing in GT1. I would say it's a much more prestigious category. I've always been puzzled by Mercedes lack of interest.​
One area of the world has puzzled me the most. Where have the Japanese makers gone? I would love to see Nissan or Mazda, instead of tip toeing their way into GT2, head straight into GT1. Actually I'm not sure if any of the Japanese automakers have a car capable of GT1. I'd love to be wrong though!​
Last, but certainly not least would be the Americans. Why did Ford build the Ford GT, then not race it? The same can be said for Dodge. The Viper seems to have dissapeared from racing as of late.​
My belief into why teams are leaving GT1 is that the Corvette has been too good. If they do lose, everyone knows that it will be an Aston Martin who wins. Where's the excitement in that. That's why this year, I'll be cheering for anyone but the Corvettes and Aston Martins. If some maker other than those two wins it will be immensely good for the class as it will prove that another car can win. Which might be just what some automakers need to see. They want to know that they can come in and be competitive. I don't think this will happen but here's to hoping.:)

I'm giving Audi about an 80% chance of winning Le Mans and Peugeot about 15% and Pescarolo about 5%. It all depends on reliability as far as I'm concerned.

Assuming the Peugeot drivers are good enough to be able to use the car to win (not sure on this one), if the car with some luck manages good reliability, they *should* in theory win the race. On the other hand, Audi has so much experience and their driver lineups have so much experience, it's near impossible to see them not win.

As for GT1, I'm not sure. I haven't seen what the Saleen has done so far this year in LMS and the Aston hasn't been in ALMS so far, so I have no idea as to competitiveness. I only hope that someone other than Corvette wins it.

To start this off I must say that I'm an absolute GT1 nut! I could care less about P1 or P2. I simply can't get into the whole "prototype" racing. I like being able to identify with the cars.

You remind me of myself when I first began watching sports car racing. :) While I'm very much into prototypes now, I still believe that the GT1 class really draws the fans into the sport.

I've always been curious at the lack of participation in GT1. Ferrari's efforts are laughable. Lamborgini isn't competitive. My question is, where are all the supercars/makers? Where's the Maserati? I know Audi is after the overall and Porche likes to stay in GT2, but do they have nothing capable of competing in GT1. I would say it's a much more prestigious category.

Ferrari's interest seems to be in the GT2 class, where they have had spectacular battles with Porsche. As for Lamborghini, they have shown signs of competitiveness. I believe it was in 2005 when one of the JLOC entries led the way in the GT1 class for a good portion of the Monza 1000km race, only to suffer engine problems. But it was indeed the fastest car in the class. And just this year, a Lamborghini took the victory in the opening round of the FIA-GT series. How competitive will they be in June? I don't know, but they have shown promise. You also mention Maserati. They certainly have a car, however, it is not able to compete at Le Mans.

Last, but certainly not least would be the Americans. Why did Ford build the Ford GT, then not race it?

The car was simply to showcase their racing heritage. Perhaps they were afraid that, by racing it under a factory effort, they risk losing which could tarnish the car's image. That's one possibility, I suppose. However, that has not stopped many people who wish to race it, and there is still hope of the car eventually making it to Le Mans with Doran and Kuttner's current efforts.

Overall, the GT1 class is still an exciting class with great cars. Six Aston Martins, five Corvettes, two Saleens, a Lamborghini, and a Ferrari; that's not a bad list. I never thought I would ever see five Corvettes racing at Le Mans while the factory team was still running!

As for Lamborghini, they have shown signs of competitiveness. I believe it was in 2005 when one of the JLOC entries led the way in the GT1 class for a good portion of the Monza 1000km race, only to suffer engine problems. But it was indeed the fastest car in the class. And just this year, a Lamborghini took the victory in the opening round of the FIA-GT series. How competitive will they be in June? I don't know, but they have shown promise.
you forgot to mention that JLOC's #88 Aktio Murcielago also won the opening round of the 2006 Super GT Series in the GT300 class.

If the on-board shot you gave us is from 2006 than yes, it is indeed Intersport Racing, however at the 2006 Le Mans 24 Hours they were number 33. I can't remember off the top of my head their numbers in previous years at Le Mans.

Second, I must protest JLOC's Super GT Lambo, that thing isn't quite Le Mans legal, even if they un-restricted the motor.

As for P1, Peugeot has shown promise, Audi will win this year however. The battle may act out like Corvette-Aston battles of the past where the 908 is the quicker car but just can't take the body blows, if I may use a boxing term, that Le Mans dishes out the way the Audi can.

P2 I'm not particularly concerned with this year. I'll be cheering for RLM, and against the Bruichladdich Radical. 2008 is really the year I'll be waiting for. The *cough* *cough* "privateer" Acura's will most likely show up and possibly some true European Acura privateers, there darn-well better be a Porsche or two (preferably from America - just one more car to cheer for) but I digress.

GT1 well... I guess I'm cheering for Corvette Racing. I don't like George Howard-Chappell and all these idiots running Aston's have jumped on board the three numbered cars and worse 00- at that. GET OVER IT YOU IDIOTS! My Dad drives a BMW, so did James Bond, should he throw on some 007 stickers for his drive to work?! Don't forget that Bond didn't drive exclusively Aston's or even good cars at all times!!! GAH!

GT2 now this is what I'm talking about. I love the GT2 class. Flying Lizard are my default favorites, and apparently the 71 Seikel car will have some Tafel money and talent around it so for them I shall cheer as well. I love the Spyker's so they are up there and if all else fails I'll be cheering for Risi Competizione, more specifically the 99 car.

m.piedgros

So, does anyone have a complete tv-coverage schedule? I´m talking world wide, not just Speed or Motors TV?

It may be very old news, but I'm real concerned about Tom Kristensen. He was told to have this serious crash in the DTM that may jeaprodize his ability to compete in this year's Le Mans race. Kristensen is one of my motorsports heroes having surpassed Jacky Ickx in that magical 2005 Le Mans race. I'm just hoping he'll be in great shape heading into Le Mans next month. Get well soon, mate!

It's still over (just) over a month away and I read he hadn't broken anything so I think he'll be fine. I can't find anything on t'internet saying he won't be there.

I leave to go to Le Mans 4 weeks to today and I'm getting really excited.

I've been thinking about the JLOC Lamborghini team and the Reiter Engineering reference. Do you think JLOC could get a hold of a Reiter Engineering Murciélago? I don't think they could get such a Lambo for the Super GT championship, but what if one was prepared just for Le Mans? I also wonder if it's possible we could see the Gallardo racing at Le Mans someday.

As for the Tom Kristensen note, that's good to hear. Hope he'll be in great shape to throw down at Le Mans next month.

I've found a great source for motor racing tv coverage on t'internet but not sure about whether I'd be breaking rules posting it here. They have pretty much all motorsport to download.

As for the Tom Kristensen note, that's good to hear. Hope he'll be in great shape to throw down at Le Mans next month.
according to what I heard, the driver who hit him(which I believe was Harold Primat) sustained a rupture of a lumbar vertebrae, while Tom Escaped with just Bruises. hope thats good news for you.

Latest Posts

Back