Option for showing ONLY posts in a thread by a specific user?

Digital-Nitrate

1955-2011 R.I.P.
Premium
United States
Austin, Texas
D-Nitrate / GTP_DNitrate
This is a useful feature I have seen on other forums to be able to display only the posts by a specific member in a specific thread.

This makes it much easier to try and find a specific posts another member has made in large threads, and would allow members to find key posts without having to always use the sites search engine...

The limit has bothered me as well, but searches already give us the majority of our problems.

Here is a visual example of what I am suggesting:

(click both pics to enlarge)

As you can see, like GTP, for each board on HTF threads are listed showing the number of replies and views. The number of replies is also a link to a pop-up window listing all the names of the members and the number of times they have posted in the thread - also sorted by who has posted the most.

However, HTF, like some other forums also places a link on the number showing the number of times they have posted in the thread, which if clicked opens a new window displaying the thread, but showing ONLY the posts by that specific member.

It is a very useful feature for finding posts buried deep in a thread without exhausting the sites resources with various searches. In some cases, unless a post has some really unique word in it, even searches can come up either empty, or with so many unrelated hits that they end up being of no use.

In the case of HTF, a shortcut to showing all the posts by one member in a thread is to simply add &onlybyuserid= and the members ID number to the end of the URL for any given thread.

I thought maybe the same might be true with GTP threads, but unfortunately that feature in vBulletin has to be activated first.

If it is possible to add this feature to GTP, I certainly would find it very helpful, and I suspect others might prefer to use that as well instead of doing multiple searches.

Thanks for your consideration.

Could you not just search for the name of the user in the thread search box, you would get all their posts that way instead, thats how Ive always done it.

Robin

Yeah, as Robin points out, this functionality already exists. ;) When you use “Search this Thread”, it doesn’t just search the posts, but also usernames, so it works for what you want to do.

Yeah, as Robin points out, this functionality already exists. ;) When you use “Search this Thread”, it doesn’t just search the posts, but also usernames, so it works for what you want to do.

Kinda yeah no. Example, I just searched your name into this thread, and there were no results. I searched Diego's username in the premium chat thread, and the only posts that came up was when someone quoted one of his posts.

The difference is that we want all of ____'s posts, not posts that have quoted ____.

Oh, strange – if you search for “Digital-Nitrate” in this thread, you’ll get his post, even though it doesn’t have his name in it. But yeah, trying to search for anybody else doesn’t return any results.

I've searched for several names - Casio, Omnis in the Pics of Yourself thread, me and Sting in a Premium forum thread, and Diablo' and Duċk in here - and the only results that appear are those that have mentioned the members' names, or have been quoted. Only Digital-Nitrates worked, and that was in here.

Maybe it is because the search includes the green edited message below his post? Because the same search doesn't work in the PS3 Discussion thread.

Edit: Nevertheless, it would be a useful feature.

Could you not just search for the name of the user in the thread search box, you would get all their posts that way instead, thats how Ive always done it.
As mentioned, because it often doesn't work, and it can also return with posts mentioning that member, but not posted by that member.

It's simply a more accurate way of isolating posts from one member, and is less tasking on GTP's servers.

That said, even if the search engine could be improved to always result in all the posts from one member in a thread, and that searches didn't cause problems for the GTP servers, are you opposed to having that link as an option?

As mentioned, because it often doesn't work, and it can also return with posts mentioning that member, but not posted by that member.

It's simply a more accurate way of isolating posts from one member, and is less tasking on GTP's servers.

That said, even if the search engine could be improved to always result in all the posts from one member in a thread, and that searches didn't cause problems for the GTP servers, are you opposed to having that link as an option?

No not at all, was just wondering why doing it the way I said didn't work but you have now explained.

Robin

Oh, strange – if you search for “Digital-Nitrate” in this thread, you’ll get his post, even though it doesn’t have his name in it. But yeah, trying to search for anybody else doesn’t return any results.

That would be because the link to the image has his name in it.

This is actually a feature of vBulletin 3.6.1, and as you can see we're still running 3.6.0. And yes, we will be upgrading very soon. :)

Ah, nicely done. This is a feature I've wanted for years with GTp and other boards, but I couldn't put it into words to request it!

For the record, this feature is now available. :)
:cheers:

Well done, and thank you! 👍

EDIT: Hmmm... When ever I click on the link to show just a specific member's posts I keep getting the following message:

"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

BTW: You likely already saw it, but the Quick Reply box has been "squeezed":

squeezed_reply_window.jpg

It's normal here, on Firefox 2.0.0.6...
I'm running IE 7.0.

Also, I edited my post, as the links to show just a specific member's posts in a thread all keep resulting in the same message:

"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

OK, I tried it with Firefox, and the quick reply box looks normal, and the links to show just a specific member's posts in a thread sort of work. Instead of showing the entire posts as shown in the example in post #1:

SortByUser_HTF.jpg

It shows a list of the posts, with the first line or so, as if you did a search for that member's posts in just that thread:

SortByUser_GTP_2.jpg

Beggars can't be choosers, so if this is the only reasonable solution then I for one am happy to have it.

However, if it can be done so that it shows the posts in their entirety, like the example given, where the thread is displayed but only showing the posts by that member, and not just a search list with abbreviated posts, that would be fantastic!

It would be a good deal more convenient that way, because the search list format means having to click on each of those posts to try and find the one you are looking for ro worse, if you are wanting to read all the posts by that member; where as if those posts are all shown in their entirety on the same page it would be much easier to find, or even just read through posts by a specific member in a specific thread.

I agree, that is definitely a better method of displaying the user's post. However, I just visited that site, and discovered they are using an (ancient) plug-in only compatible with the old vB 3.5.x. Sorry to disappoint!

I agree, that is definitely a better method of displaying the user's post. However, I just visited that site, and discovered they are using an (ancient) plug-in only compatible with the old vB 3.5.x. Sorry to disappoint!
Thanks for looking into it Jordan, and at least this is a nice compromise. 👍

That feature doesn't seem to be working on my gallery at all. Every username I click it say's "Sorry No Results Found". I don't know if it is for every thread or not. Just thought I would speak up.

It's not working for IE users at the moment - not sure why, but it doesn't appear to using the Javascript properly while other browsers don't have a problem. I'll keep investigating.

Back