§ The turtle vs. the hare §

Parnelli Bone

www.gtcarreviews.com
Premium
United States
Columbia, MD.
Parnelli_Bones
Yesterday my sister came over and brought her niece & nephew. So my nephew finds me racing GT2, at the time I was racing against the Peugeot 306 in the Pike's Peak downhill race, and I was in a Renault Clio sport... making good time. My nephew keeps bugging me can I race?, can I go next? can I race? Yes, yes, yes I kept saying, But not here. Pike's Peak is way too advanced for you.

So he's all fascinated. He's got a PS2 at home but only gets to play Disney-type games, and he apparently has an ATV/motorcycle game, too, so at least he's got some motor skills. I break out the Arcade disc so we can go head to head. He's asking a million questions at once as kids do!

Long story short: I did a race and beat him all too easily at Super Speedway. So I decided to severely handicap myself. Mike (that's his name) decided on a black Mercury Cougar with about 163 hp and I challenged him with a 32 hp Daihatsu Midget saved from my memory card!

We go to Red Rock speedway, and he of course blazes ahead of my funny-looking milk truck, he made it thru the 1st banked corner okay, but completely lost it in the chicane! As the Mercury spun and did donuts, my Midget rounded the corners. Just as I was passing him, he got back on track and once again was far ahead! This went on for the rest of the race: Mike would lose it in the corners, and my rattling truck would catch up to him, but could only max 77 mph!

I thought the turtle would win this race, but the hare won by 3 seconds.

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
Yesterday my sister came over and brought her neice & nephew. So my nephew finds me racing GT2, at the time i was racing against the Peugeot 306 in the Pike's Peak downhill race, and i was in a Renault Clio sport... making good time. My nephew keeps bugging me ‘can i race?, can i go next? can i race?’ “Yes, yes, yes” I kept saying, “But not here. Pike's Peak is way too advanced for you”.

So he's all fascinated. He's got a PS2 at home but only gets to play Disney-type games, and he apparently has an ATV/motorcycle game, too, so at least he's got some motor skills. I break out the Arcade disc so we can go head to head. He's asking a million questions at once as kids do!

Long story short: i did a race and beat him all too easily at Super Speedway. So i decided to severely handicap myself. Mike (that's his name) decided on a black Mercury Cougar with about 163 hp and I challenged him with a 32 hp Daihatsu Midget saved from my memory card!

We go to Red Rock speedway, and he of course blazes ahead of my funny-looking milk truck, he made it thru the 1st banked corner okay, but completely lost it in the chicane! As the Mercury spun and did donuts, my Midget rounded the corners. Just as i was passing him, he got back on track and once again was far ahead! This went on for the rest of the race: Mike would lose it in the corners, and my rattling truck would catch up to him, but could only max 77 mph!

Nice 1 PB. Keeping the kids amused. Did you try and teach him any of your staying on the course tricks?

Naw, he spends his entire day being taught how to do stuff by his school and his parents so I view my half-hour with him as precious time and I don't have to be the adult. If he keeps wanting to race I'll eventually teach him stuff.

Last edited:
Or how about actually teaching somebody? 💡 I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but imo that's the best way to learn. Teach him how to race, but teach him not only verbally, but visually as well. It took me two years to perfect my skills in GT2, so for
Parnelli Bone's friend, It may take a while until he's as good as us. ;)

I never learned very well from people trying to show me ...

Kids usually pick up things very quickly ... I taught my GF's 8-year-old niece how to play NFSU using a manual transmission ... She picked up on my driving style on her own and kicks my GF's ass :P

My GF sucks at driving ... It's very disappointing ...

lol... :lol: very nice, thanks for sharing it with us, Parnelli 👍

In real life, if you enter into a car with a pro driving it, you'll be able to see and feel so many things that after it you'll be able to raise your driving skills into a new level... no words can show you so much...

Sure, some tips also help to improve your skills, but you can't get nearly as much info, and so quickly, as when you're there watching all the action.

Yeah, if Mike wants to learn stuff, he'll ask or otherwise show interest, he's kinda like me at his age actually. I didn't want to immediately jump into that role of being the adult telling him what to do, he was in his own world going COOL IM DRIVING, I'M AHEAD OF YOU stuff like that.

That's what made me think of the turtle & hare. I said to him just after he zoomed ahead that first time: remember the story of the turtle and the rabbit? Rite now you're the rabbit, and I'm the turtle, so watch out, I may just get ahead! But at the end, I literally could't keep up with him. Red Rock is an easy course because it's so wide...something clicked and Mike was doing okay towards the end.

My other racing partner Dave moved to Arizona so rite now I have no one to race against in r/l. Too bad...Dave was at my level!

Last edited:
That reminds me of all the races I've done with my sucky friends. One of them can drive the Weds Celica and absolutly nothing else, I have no idea why.

MacRoadster
Sucky friends here too, but luckily i have a younger brother that can be faster than me... i just have to setup his car... :rolleyes:

hehe, i wish my lil bros played.. they only like fighting games. i got nobody at all to race in r/l since i moved out here to cali, but my friends in virginia (my old home) werent too bad, one of em was just as good as me, it seemed like we even had the same driving style. i remember once we raced at red rock in fully modded imprezas, each with our own personal suspension and gear setup, and at the end of the race we were around a half a second apart, i dont remember who won

That's weird, Korndawg, I just moved from Oregon to Maryland..west to east...exactly 1 state above either way.

On the west coast, I also knew this 26 year old redhead girl (friend of mine & Daves) who could only do rally races. She sucked on tarmac. We called her the skirt in the dirt. She actually would kill us about 1/2 the time at the Tahiti Dirt Road no. 3

Last edited:
hah thats awesome. i personaly havnt met a girl that could beat me, no offense to any girls out there tho, i just dont know any that play. i have a question about rallying tho. i can destroy the gold times in the license tests, i was just wondering if that means im fast or is it just plain easy? :crazy:

heh. i've never really had an op to race against someone cause my arcade disc is gone.

but a real "tortise and the hare" race would prob be the Subie 360 and a golf (americans will get the joke)

I've done a few of those in my day. It's amazing how quickly people don't learn how to control a car in a video game. "This time I know I can take this corner at 140mph ... DOH! Lost it again." I once told a friend that he might do better if he slowed down for the corners. He said, litterally, "If you're not going full speed you're not going to get there as fast as you can", to which I replied, "That's funny, because right now you're sitting still in the dirt and I'm going 30mph around this corner. Who's going to get there first?" He just got fed up and left the room.

It's that arcade racer mentality. In arcade racers, you can go full speed through a corner and not crash into a wall, or if it's slightly more realistic, you can lift off of the accelerator. You have to burn the thought of "This is a driving simulator, Use the friggin brakes!" into there head.

lol yeah or sometimes they will use the brakes, but only half a second before they smash the wall at 150. or they get mad if i take a turn at say 80mph and they try to and cant, i try to explain the whole keeping your line thing, then they just get even more mad with the whole 'dont tell me how to do it' thing

TMM
I bet she would kill you for calling her that!!!???? :lol:

Huh? no, she didn't mind! I had a crush on her for a short while, but she was kinda flakey. We'd all get stoned and race for an hour, it was fun!

LoudMusic
I once told a friend that he might do better if he slowed down for the corners. He said, litterally, "If you're not going full speed you're not going to get there as fast as you can", to which I replied, "That's funny, because right now you're sitting still in the dirt and I'm going 30mph around this corner. Who's going to get there first?" He just got fed up and left the room.

Funny. there was this other guy Ramsey who was a friend of Dave & mine. He was really into slash & bash type games but one day he tried racing against Dave. Apparently (i wasn't there to witness this) he got frustrated and left the house without a word. And normally, he was a very gregarious guy!

www.dictionary.com

gre·gar·i·ous

1. Seeking and enjoying the company of others; sociable. See Synonyms at social.
2. Tending to move in or form a group with others of the same kind: gregarious bird species.
3. Botany. Growing in groups that are close together but not densely clustered or matted.

Parnelli Bone
Huh? no, she didn't mind! I had a crush on her for a short while, but she was kinda flakey. We'd all get stoned and race for an hour, it was fun!

Sounds like she was a cool chick, shame about the flakey though. I never really played GT stoned, used to be Tekkan Tag and some adventure game going round London killing loads of vampires and demon's. This was round at a friends house and I used to work during the day when they would finish the games off. I sort of dropped out of the group and stopped the habit. then I found GT but I was bad enough at it without being stonned as well.

Yesterday my sister came over and brought her neice & nephew. So my nephew finds me racing GT2, at the time i was racing against the Peugeot 306 in the Pike's Peak downhill race, and i was in a Renault Clio sport... making good time. My nephew keeps bugging me ‘can i race?, can i go next? can i race?’ “Yes, yes, yes” I kept saying, “But not here. Pike's Peak is way too advanced for you”.

Long story short: i did a race and beat him all too easily at Super Speedway. So i decided to severely handicap myself. Mike (that's his name) decided on a black Mercury Cougar with about 163 hp and I challenged him with a 32 hp Daihatsu Midget saved from my memory card!

We go to Red Rock speedway, and he of course blazes ahead of my funny-looking milk truck, he made it thru the 1st banked corner okay, but completely lost it in the chicane! As the Mercury spun and did donuts, my Midget rounded the corners. Just as i was passing him, he got back on track and once again was far ahead! This went on for the rest of the race: Mike would lose it in the corners, and my rattling truck would catch up to him, but could only max 77 mph!

After playing with the gear box and all the upgrades got the milk truck up to 101. 35 MPH on a downhill straite

Only person I know who beat me at Gran Turismo was my dad. Other than that, I'll bet on my PlayStation 4 no friend of mine can beat me at GT.

Back