»GP Competition« - Week 5 - VOTE!!!!!111!!1!

Theme: Slice of life

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Portugal
Lisboa
feedingbee.jpg

Week 5

wk3winner.jpg

upload5un4.jpg

Slice of Life

In the words of F1GTR: "Choose any subject that represents what life is like in the area you live. Candid shots of people in their environment would be a good subject to focus on, but any interpretations of the theme are welcome".

bm1.jpg

• Only one entry may be submitted. It must be your own work and it can’t be one entry already submitted in another competition;
  • Don’t post any other Image beside the entry. If you have any honorable mention, please post a link to it;
  • The photograph shouldn't have been taken more than 4 months before this week started;
  • You can edit your image in any way you see it more fit;
  • You may not use objects that are not in the original Image.
  • Please, try to have you photograph in a .jpg or .png file format;
  • The entry must have a “Final Entry” written in the post, as well has a title or the name of the subject photographed;
  • The entry may only be changed once. When changing it, indicate clearly (please, when doing this, edit your post with your new entry, do not submit a new post with a new entry);
  • Submit your entry either on thumbnail or as a preview linked to the full size image. The preview must not be larger than 400 pixels (to either side).
  • Don't ask others members to choose your entry. Have confidence in your own skills;
  • In the poll, don’t vote for yourself.

Failure to follow the rules will result in disqualification from the competition.

If you have any question or any complain, please, send me a Private Message.

Above all, have fun and enjoy yourself.

jgfjgfjgf.jpg

1st 5th, February 2009

Last edited:
Very cool theme indeed! 👍

I think I have a few that may suit this, though the lack of depth of field my camera has makes most shots seem bland.

I'm hoping to see some pretty amazing shots for this theme, as some of the members here are excellent with this kind of images. :bowdown:

Sorry for the double post, but I have my image ready for submitting and not a single entry so far.

FINAL ENTRY

C'mon, let's see those people shots!

Very cool shot. 👍 That’s the part of the «Ria do Seixal», isn’t it?

I’d love to go out there and shot, but I sprained my ankle (3 weeks ago, or so), and I am still not fully recovered. I am still walking with the aid of crutches.

I'll extend the deadline to a phew more days.

I'd love to do this but I think my camera might get stolen if I try street photography in my area. :( But then I guess that's why I have insurance! I'll see if I can get some shots on my local high street tomorrow, might ask the weird old guy who sits on the same bench all day every day if I can take some shots of him.

Last edited:
LdS - It's Costa da Caparica, I went there to take a few pics of my buddy surfing and took the opportunity to take a few of the local guys fishing.

Mog - Let your beard grow and try to look mean. Works like a charm, nobody'll try to touch your goods. :lol:👍

Well I went into Birmingham today in the snow to see if I could get some shots, but it was dead as everyone had stayed indoors!

However the first thing that happened was some guy with his mates said as they walked past "I'll throw a snowball at his camera, haha!"

My reply was simply "I wouldn't mate, unless you can afford to replace it?" to which he got all funny with me and said "What did you say?"
"I said if you can't afford it then don't bother"
"You what?"
"DON'T DAMAGE IT IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO PAY FOR IT" (By this point he had carried on walking the other way)
"Yeah? Come on then prick"
"Er....what?"
"Yeah? Meet me outside town then yeah, you dick"
Then he stood there with his arms open as if wanting a fight while me and my friend were stood laughing! He was really young, must have been about 17-18, but we just walked off as there were about 8 people in his group of friends. Had he been alone his lip would have gotten him into a 'spot of bother'.

It put me off my trip a little bit, that and the fact that it was freezing cold and snowing heavily meant I only got a few shots. I couldn't really shoot much as it was very quiet anyway.

Damn, I wish it snowed where I live... :(

But did you shoot anyone so you can at least enter the comp and make me lose right on the spot? :)

(you should really try growing a mean beard and going out with your camera, see the difference it makes...)

Aye, I got one I liked;

FINAL ENTRY

Birmingham Bullring, 2nd February 2009

I'm tempted to do one, if I can find the time. I like the 'get away from the pc and PS3 and go outside to shoot some pics' aspect. :)

We are maybe entering week 6 of the GP Competition, and I would like to know what should be changed in order to get more entries. Is there any rule that should be altered?

LdS
We are maybe entering week 6 of the GP Competition, and I would like to know what should be changed in order to get more entries. Is there any rule that should be altered?

I don't think any particular rule could be changed, I mean for example I didn't enter this week because I couldn't get out and about to shoot. Next week if the theme is right I'll try to enter. I think the competition is just going to have weeks like this one sometimes. Hopefully next time it'll have more entries.

LdS
I did go out, shot some pictures, but none fitted the theme or were worth entering.

I loved both shots for this week, infact both could quite easily win the competition. However when it came to voting I was swayed originally towards Beerz's shot as I liked the composition more than Mog's. Then I was put off at how deep the blacks were on Beerz's if the blacks were bought out a little bit more then it would have secured my vote. However, because of that I had to voted for Moglets which is still a excellent shot in its own rights.

Come on, people. Vote!
Only 8 voters so far, wtf is that?

Adam - I have no idea, as I've never owned a laptop. But on my work monitor (standard crt) the black levels looks weird too, as do colours. They're always kind of pale, no liveness, and also seems to lack a lot of contrast compared to my home monitor.

Voted for Beerz, it really captures the theme. As for colors: if you want two screens to show colors the exact same way, they need to be calibrated. When using Firefox, changing the color_management setting in the about:config page may help too.

Wow, I won!

Thanks a lot for the votes, guys! :cheers:

NLx - Yeah, but the problem is that at work no customizing is allowed on the computers. At all. Really sucks...

Back