◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,696 comments
7 in D1.

Edit:

We had 8 or 9 for practice today. Very enjoyable laid back session involving 20 minute practice followed by a 10 minute race. Definitely prefer having the practice instead of the stress of immediately doing a q session and racing.

Last edited:
"Also, a remind that we started to discuss changing the practice format (the conversation started here if anyone wants a refresher on some of the ideas that were suggested). You guys can try a variety of these ideas as well. Just be sure to have everyone post their feedback so that we can determine what's the best practice format going forward. 👍"[/quote]

"Speaking of practice, how was it last night? kcheeb and I were pondering some changes to the practice format. Perhaps make it a little less formal so that everyone can focus on learning the tracks with others, instead of racing and competing without really knowing the combo yet. Thoughts?"

Well we all gathered in D1, and did 20 min. Practice runs and it was virtually in silence, there was no banter, no hey why don't you try this or hey see that post?, let off there then brake a little and turn in!
It felt more like it was Sunday night!, so serious to win!
Yea I tried to get fast times but there were no comrades/Mentors to coax you, to point out possible gaining break points, Lines or turn in points!
Well in defense of it all I seemed to be in a room full of D1 racers!
Their not sharing and they will beat on you till they finally force a mistake!
Now How Does That Help Anyone?

Last edited:
We had 8 or 9 for practice today. Very enjoyable laid back session involving 20 minute practice followed by a 10 minute race. Definitely prefer having the practice instead of the stress of immediately doing a q session and racing.

Thanks for the feedback, Joe. So you guys basically sacrificed one of he two races in favor of my practice time? Who else was in D1 tonight and has any feedback?

Well we all gathered in D1, and did 20 min. Practice runs and it was virtually in silence, there was no banter, no hey why don't you try this or hey see that post?, let off there then brake a little and turn in!
It felt more like it was Sunday night!, so serious to win!
Yea I tried to get fast times but there were no comrades/Mentors to coax you, to point out possible gaining break points, Lines or turn in points!
Well in defense of it all I seemed to be in a room full of D1 racers!
Their not sharing and they will beat on you till they finally force a mistake!
Now How Does That Help Anyone?

Thanks for the feedback, chatva. Are you suggesting we try a different format or were you simply commenting on he vibe in the lounge? If it felt "so serious" like Sunday night, I'm guessing that having the same format as Sunday night would only amplify that effect. I only mention this because of your previous statements last week in favor of sticking with the Sunday night format, but please clarify if that's still your opinion.

Thanks for the feedback, chatva. Are you suggesting we try a different format or were you simply commenting on he vibe in the lounge? If it felt "so serious" like Sunday night, I'm guessing that having the same format as Sunday night would only amplify that effect. I only mention this because of your previous statements last week in favor of sticking with the Sunday night format, but please clarify if that's still your opinion.[/quote]

Well done sir!
Conflict in my response, there are two ways to go with this!
Yes Practice/Race with the fast guys, but not the ones that can only see Victory!

It was a good night of practice.
However it was not the evening of mentors giving any pointers to us lower division racers in need of guidance!

As It would be in a room with AJK-VAIL! Who wouldn't run you over to pass you, but would get right up alongside you, then tell you how you could have done that better!

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, chatva. Are you suggesting we try a different format or were you simply commenting on he vibe in the lounge? If it felt "so serious" like Sunday night, I'm guessing that having the same format as Sunday night would only amplify that effect. I only mention this because of your previous statements last week in favor of sticking with the Sunday night format, but please clarify if that's still your opinion.

Well done sir!
Conflict in my response, there are two ways to go with this!
Yes Practice/Race with the fast guys, but not the ones that can only see Victory!

It was a good night of practice.
However it was not the evening of mentors giving any pointers to us lower division racers in need of guidance!

As It would be in a room with AJK-VAIL! Who wouldn't run you over to pass you, but would get right up alongside you, then tell you how you could have done that better!

Yes, but AJK-VAIL and you are good friends, the discussion is more easily started that way. The guys you were racing last night probably didn't know you very well if at all. Nor if you were even interested in them helping you.

Sometimes it can be as easy as saying, I'm having trouble in turn 2, you guys are killing me there. How do you get through it so fast?

The best conversations are two sided ;)

Last edited:
I'm only getting a ps4 when a GT game is released for it.

That was the same thing I planned to do. I kinda hope GT7 releases on, or after the second generation of PS4s is made.

I'm not really in to "bleeding edge" tech. I prefer my tech to work.

Who's bought are will be buying a PS4 today?

My pre-order is ready to pick up, now I just have to wait for work to end :(

I'm only getting a ps4 when a GT game is released for it.

I was interested in Drive Club, but it's been delayed. Not really interested in Need For Speed, so I'll have to see what's available fo it.

That was the same thing I planned to do. I kinda hope GT7 releases on, or after the second generation of PS4s is made.

I'm not really in to "bleeding edge" tech. I prefer my tech to work.

Worked for a guy who was happy to say 'I prefer to be first to be second' :lol:

PRACTICE

I prefer the traditional way of practicing. The 20-minute workouts do not add anything because I was actually 20 minutes training alone and I can do it anytime. After training for 20 minutes did the race and races are always exciting but the race more difficult is not the first but the second, with reverse grid.
In the reverse grid race with more overtaking happen and disputes.
We could make a small change. Yesterday we had the race at Laguna with 6 boltas normally would be 3 laps of qualy and two races of 6 laps.
I think it would be better to reduce the first race and raise two more laps of qualy. So qualy'd have 5 laps, first race with 4 laps and the second with six laps.

I guess the question is "what is the goal of practice?" for the majority of drivers. There are probably at least two types of drivers and they will have different needs. The first type is a student or unemployed. They may have all afternoon to practice before the practice and are now looking for some challenging situations. The second type probably gets home late, bspecs the cars while getting cleaned up and some dinner. He then shows up wanting to "practice" and find out how the car handles, find lines and break points etc. I've seen some D1 drivers drive like crap the first few laps so it's not fully a division issue.

Perhaps we need 2 rooms for the 2 different drivers. If we are lucky we can even get an alien to participate in room #2 to give us (and Chatva) a few tips on line, break points etc.

EDIT: I was off yesterday because I'm working the weekend and was able to get some pre-practice practice in . Felt comfortable mixing it with the top guys last night but most times I'm scared to get on track and become a speed bump.

I will honestly admit I forgot about the "helping others" portion of practice last night. I'm nowhere near the fastest but if someone wanted help last night I would have happily given some tips to help them. Again, my apologies.

Like kcheeb said, it's two sided. All you have to do is ask.

Yeah, the free run loses it's value without some people out there tutoring. 2 or 3 people running a few "slow" laps explaining the brake, turn in and acceleration points, and perhaps why they chose a certain line through an odd corner (like staying up top at the last turn at HSR) or chicane. Another idea could be the "racecraft practice" idea I suggested a few months back, where you raise boost so everyone can stay tight the whole race. The slower guys can get to watch the faster guys, and everyone gets to work on racecraft.
I think the important think to remember, this is a practice session, not race night. The point isn't to go out and get you competitive thrills in, it's to give a structured place to practice.

Yeah, the free run loses it's value without some people out there tutoring. 2 or 3 people running a few "slow" laps explaining the brake, turn in and acceleration points, and perhaps why they chose a certain line through an odd corner (like staying up top at the last turn at HSR) or chicane. Another idea could be the "racecraft practice" idea I suggested a few months back, where you raise boost so everyone can stay tight the whole race. The slower guys can get to watch the faster guys, and everyone gets to work on racecraft.
I think the important think to remember, this is a practice session, not race night. The point isn't to go out and get you competitive thrills in, it's to give a structured place to practice.

Agreed. On practice night I use qualifying to get familiar with the car/track combo and the race to get familiar with the combo in a pack.

With the new format it makes a lot more sense for the top 2 or 3 on the time sheet to give pointers to anyone having trouble in a particular section. I'm a fan of the Sunday format practice more but I see some positives coming out of the new format also.

Is anyone down to do anything later? I need a break from Call of Duty and other stuff. Anyone maybe interested in shuffle races? :)
I'm down! What time were you thinking and open lobby or lounge?

I don't think I'll be able to make this Sundays races! Life is killing me! Was out ta town last Sunday and I have a wedding to go to this Sunday so I will not be able to make it! I have been trying to make it this month but, yea... :(

You gonna be buying three or does the 4 support triples?

Not sure what this means? :boggled:

Just one for now. Triple monitor support is done through Software, so until there's a game I really like with support ...

Being first to be second is a reference to staying off the bleeding edge. Let the other guys discover the pitfalls and adopt when it's stable.

Last edited:
Back