◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,416 comments
A couple thoughts, and please forgive me if I'm missing something (I probably am since I'm very new to SNAIL)

- Regarding no points or official races for last night/moving forward until "connection issues are resolved": Why would those of us that had no connection issues and had a good clean night of racing have our results not count? We already had 1 week of testing . Plenty of people put in some good time and effort and were able to successfully race, I just don't get why the whole night would be scrapped because some people had connection issues and weren't able to race - isn't that (basically) the case on any of the regular nights?

- Regarding mandatory wired connections: connection failure has nothing to do with wired/wireless connections. The servers don't care what type we're using. I have a wired connection with one provider and a wireless connection with another. Last night my wired connection was giving me issues so I switched over to wireless. Sometimes it's the other way around. Also some people are not able to have a wired connection, so enforcing mandatory wired connections seems unnecessary, IMO.

Just my two cents! :)

For starters the results are not accurate when connections cause issues. Lag spikes. People respectfully stepping away.

Secondly D2 couldn't even finish the night.

If you are wanting a car choice prize. Then I don't see any reason those praises can't be awarded. However to say the counted towards the PSN prize or towards official points would be very slanted.

On another note. There is absolutly no reason I have lag. This via wifi to my lap top.

11405781546_fe45ddb8cf_b.jpg

You know, I wonder about this...

Not trying to put you or your speed into the spot light here hooker, but my dl/ul speeds on speedtest are 54m and 15m respectively. Yet when I check them on psn, it is like 5 dl and 2 ul. which is a better representation of what we see when playing gt6?
Tested mine through the ps3 wireless 15.4 upload 3.3 download / laptop wireless 27.8 upload 4.7 download

I can get pretty close to 100 up and 50 down from the computers in my house. I just checked on the PS3 and I got 17.6 down and 4.0 up. That's pretty normal on the PS3. I can use the same cable and get much better from a computer.

I have been reading some other forums owned by other groups that race online and have found a couple of good suggestions.

1. Be on time. Entering the room late can cause a small lag spike when entering. Having to stop and reset the room can also cause issues for the late arriving individual. I have seen being stuck at the start line, black screen before race, and not seeing everyone on track from late arriving individuals.

2. Stay off the track while the host is making changes. I have seen reports of rooms having issues when drivers are booted from the track because the host did something to reset the room.

Latency and ping is key with online gaming. If a racer is located 1000's of miles away from the majority. They inherently will be causing strain on rooms.

Actually, I'm curled up in a corner rocking back and forth right now.

We as a group are good at talking into solutions. It's often one huge brain storming session.

You and Zero have always been able to sift the info and pull out the solutions.

Good time to speak of appreciation. Many thanks.

For starters the results are not accurate when connections cause issues. Lag spikes. People respectfully stepping away.

If you are wanting a car choice prize. Then I don't see any reason those praises can't be awarded. However to say the counted towards the PSN prize or towards official points would be very slanted.

On another note. There is absolutly no reason I have lag. This via wifi to my lap top.

Show-off :P

I can get pretty close to 100 up and 50 down from the computers in my house. I just checked on the PS3 and I got 17.6 down and 4.0 up. That's pretty normal on the PS3. I can use the same cable and get much better from a computer.

I have been reading some other forums owned by other groups that race online and have found a couple of good suggestions.

1. Be on time. Entering the room late can cause a small lag spike when entering. Having to stop and reset the room can also cause issues for the late arriving individual. I have seen being stuck at the start line, black screen before race, and not seeing everyone on track from late arriving individuals.

2. Stay off the track while the host is making changes. I have seen reports of rooms having issues when drivers are booted from the track because the host did something to reset the room.

I've also had some problems on GT5 when the countdown for the start of the race was going on. If someone was on the track during the countdown they sometimes would get the black screen and be forced to quit. Staying in the pits would be smart.

SOME KEY THINGS MENTIONED

•Utilizing Fixed Host

• Exit track when changes to room are made

• Stay in pits while qualifying and race count down is happening

Hey guys- a bit off topic - but I don't have SpikeTV: I've been following the episodes when they post a day or two later on the SpikeTV website, but I'd like to catch the finale tonight- anybody know a way to do it? PM me if you've got ideas. Thanks!

So then it would not be wireless being the cause of the connection issues. It really must just be overloaded servers on PD's side. Unless of course your equipment is incompatible, as PD so cryptically puts it...

Regarding counting the points - it doesn't really matter to me because I didn't win my Division, I just feel like although some people had issues, other people didn't. So it's either the disadvantage goes to those people that did have issues last night, or the people that didn't have issues get screwed over despite having a good night. But again, I didn't see what it was like in the other Divisions but in D3 everything was very smooth and clean so after spending almost 3 hours in game troubleshooting and racing to find out that the whole night might be scrapped because some people had issues and did not race just does not seem right to me.

I just think of it this way. If myself and a bunch of other people were unable to connect for whatever reason or decided to step out due to lagging, and people raced on without us, would I expect/call for the whole night's results to be canceled? I would not.

Hey guys- a bit off topic - but I don't have SpikeTV: I've been following the episodes when they post a day or two later on the SpikeTV website, but I'd like to catch the finale tonight- anybody know a way to do it? PM me if you've got ideas. Thanks!

Simple. Go to a friends house that has Spike. ;)

I doubt you will find a streaming solution or online option during the broadcast.

To add to Owens' point of location being a factor:

As far as counting the night or not. D1 had major issues that greatly changed the outcome of the racing for the night in the three and part of a fourth race that I saw. This included huge accidents involving multiple cars because of lag and at least one driver that couldn't see over half the field which cause other drivers to be knocked off track. D2 wasn't even able to finish the night. I don't need to say anymore about that. D3 and D4 got split in two manageable groups and didn't have any issues to speak of. I would say that since almost 2/3 of the drivers that showed up were affected in one way or another, why would it be fair in any way to count the whole night? Personally, I don't care because I have no chance of winning anything in the division I'm in but it seems if that many people were affected, we still have some bugs to work out and testing to be done.

Last edited:
SOME KEY THINGS MENTIONED

•Utilizing Fixed Host

• Exit track when changes to room are made

• Stay in pits while qualifying and race count down is happening
Just in case others don't know (I was completely oblivious to this option), you don't select the go to course/checkered flag button because that will take you on course... if you want to stay off track until the qualifier/race starts, just press the button a couple over from the go to course button. I think it's called Enter or Submit Entry or something. Also make sure to Cancel Entry if the host is making changes to the track or race settings.

We've had some very bad nights/weeks on PD servers over the last couple years. I'm sure it will get fixed over the next few weeks, and like I said before, it looks like we are a big update away from GT6 being ready for stable online play. Right now it's like trying to jump through flaming hoops. I didn't even know how to get in the PIT. :embarrassed:

We could just plow through the next few weeks with the season, trying to keep things as close to "normal" as possible, and not do any promotion and relegation for the time being. Well...except for Jared. He should be in D1 I think. DM's can then meet and review any take aways form the night and build on it.

So, who's pumped for tonight's episode of GT Academy? :gtpflag:

I know D2 had even more issues than just finishing- we weren't able to successfully race the second round of the first course in reverse finishing order because of the room crashing and dropping the previous race results. We even tried (multiple times) to stack it manually using the first race results as guide but had issues, but finally I think eventually everyone just got fed up and we raced with a random starting order. I finished last in the first race and should've started in front, but started near the back. I didn't object to the starting order at the time - so it's fair to say we accepted what we could get, but that's just another kink in the mess that was last night.

Are IP addresses of GT6 servers publicly available? That way they could be pinged directly. I doubt that stuff is public though.

GT6 doesn't have dedicated servers. All racers are connecting to the race as detailed above based on the host setting. You either connect to one host or you connect to everyone in the room.

Same here. I was trying to figure out why other people were able to just sit in the pit while I would always be forced to exit the pit lane. Then when I found out I felt stupid :D

The other 15 guys were like "check the green check mark" and I was " yeah, I see the green check mark, why am I not in? Why don't I have a number beside my ID?" :dunce:

I guess the point is from top to bottom, we are on a learning curve. Patience is required for the next few weeks.

GT6 doesn't have dedicated servers. All racers are connecting to the race as detailed above based on the host setting. You either connect to one host or you connect to everyone in the room.
Gotcha. So then the cause of widespread chaos is either one of these, or a combination of 1 or 2, plus 3.:
1. Fixed ownership - host has a bad connection or "incompatible hardware"
2. Unfixed ownership - 1 or more racers has a bad connection or "incompatible hardware"
3. Software issue with GT6

So the best thing to do to definitely pin the issue on the software would be to have a person with a very good connection be a fixed owner/host, as you stated.

I think we should start by going to a fixed host, at least until we get the rest of the community features from PD. Aside from that, we need to get everyone acclimated to the fact that in the interest of having the best possible experience, everyone needs to stay off the track and not even enter pit lane until all changes have been made to the room. If you show up late for qualifying, you're going to miss that race because it causes issues to have everyone quit and restart.

The "incompatible hardware" they speak of is most likely NAT type 3 or some kind of failure that really can't be avoided i.e. internet outage/modem crash

Going to a fixed host would at least minimize the damage that one poor connection could do to a room.

we need to get everyone acclimated to the fact that in the interest of having the best possible experience, everyone needs to stay off the track and not even enter pit lane until all changes have been made to the room.
Once we started "enforcing" that everything went very smoothly.

Also another glitch with Willow Springs to note - if you lose control and go off track and re-enter even at the same place that you left, you may be put behind an entire lap. In the 2nd to last lap of race 4 last night, I was 2nd place behind hooker on the final corner (headed to the final lap). I lost control and spun out off track to the inside. A couple people passed in the meantime. When I entered the track again I was told that I was an entire lap down, as if everyone had lapped me. I'll have to watch the replay to recall how far off track I went, but just keep that in mind.

I don't mean to play devil's advocate here, but in the past, results have never been annulled due to connection issues.

The only difference is that this is the first race of GT6.

I can remember many nights where people got lag crashed off the track and major mayhem ensued but noone stopped the presses for those guys. The show went on and if two were left in the room then good for them and sorry bout your luck for everyone else.

I was 10mins from making it last night but now I'm glad I missed the D1 "fun".

Also another glitch with Willow Springs to note - if you lose control and go off track and re-enter even at the same place that you left, you may be put behind an entire lap. In the 2nd to last lap of race 4 last night, I was 2nd place behind hooker on the final corner (headed to the final lap). I lost control and spun out off track to the inside. A couple people passed in the meantime. When I entered the track again I was told that I was an entire lap down, as if everyone had lapped me. I'll have to watch the replay to recall how far off track I went, but just keep that in mind.

Same thing happened to me here. Lap 1, ran outside of final corner, skidded into infield. Returned to track and would not give me credit. I even doubled back to see if there was some threshold I had to cross but did not find it. Other than that miscue on my part, I thought D4 was pretty smooth, all in all.

We had about half a dozen visitors, maybe 8. When asked if they were a SNAIL most left. If they stayed, I gave a very brief overview. I do not mind if we use the GT6 name on the spreadsheet, maybe have members identify their PSN, GTPlanet, and GT6 name (if different) is doable?

Just record who is on track, but we need to be able to do Racing Incidents, and if I do not know A.Hole is BlahDBlah on GTPlanet,we have a gap in the system.

I'm not overly concerned with finding a solution to the room issues. We've got a few good options lined up by a bunch of smart people 👍 And PD will eventually get things stabilized, online wise. Online GT5 was also a little fragile at inception, it's just frustrating as 🤬 until they do. We'll work with what we've got and use the best procedures we know of to keep the rooms as stable as we can.

So here's why I was rocking in the corner :lol:

To change everyone's names would require me to manually update the:

Drivers List
Qualifying Times Spreadsheet
S.N.A.I.L. History Spreadsheet
Monthly Results sheet
Dec. 1st's Results sheets
Buttkicker results page
All the November Sheets in the Buttkicker spreadsheet.

Granted there's search and replace but, I'd still need to do that for 80ish different names.

The new GT6 Time Trial form has a field for GT6 Name, so it can be captured there, but at present there are only 36 entries, with a few duplicates. We can get the names without too much trouble, it's populating them everywhere they need to go and not 🤬 anything up.

Another option would be to populate the Directors sheets with the GT6 names. That would make it much easier for the scorekeepers, something I'm all for. When I run the script to populate the history spreadsheet, I'd have to cross reference the GT6 name with the PSN ID so the rest of the data flowed as it should. Problem is you'd be looking at historical stats as PSN ID and current data as GT6 id.

Option 1 - update from PSN ID to GT6 ID - lot's of work in lot's of places, easy to mess something up.
Option 2 - stay with PSN ID for historic numbers and GT6 ID's for weekly documents. A little work altering the script to cross reference GT6 and PSN ID's. Less risk to mucking the data up.

Both options require we get everyone's GT6 names, which we're roughly half way to now.

EDIT: And then Handlebar chucks a monkey wrench into the whole thing. Reporting Incidents would have to be done with GT6 id, no other way to deal with it. Looking more like a switch to GT6 ID's is the only way to keep things sane for everyone.

Back