◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,415 comments
IMO, practice the way you race. However, if this format stays, remember it is a practice to learn and perfect your driving line in and out of a draft. Please never pass at the expense of another snail when nothing is on the line. Multiple cars in a hi speed turn may send a snail straight to the back.

X

Not sure what this means? :boggled:
Might be more of a northern adage? It means, let some other fella break down in the new stuff while I finish the race with the tried and true. Another way to think about it is the race of the rabbit and the turtle, or tortoise and hare depending on where your from.
In more literal terms.

IMO, practice the way you race. However, if this format stays, remember it is a practice to learn and perfect your driving line in and out of a draft. Please never pass at the expense of another snail when nothing is on the line. Multiple cars in a hi speed turn may send a snail straight to the back.

X
Train as you fight, the ol' military standard! Which is the purpose of the race at the end of practice for each combo. However, I really am going to stick to my guns about this boost racing. The purpose is not only to learn the track and car, but also to polish your racecraft. Practice isn't about win or lose, and using boost will allow everyone the chance to be in the pack, see the front runners lines and brake points, practice passing, and adjusting to racing in a draft type situation.
The one issue I see is that we will continue, or even see an exaggeration of the issues we have now with practice racing, where not everyone will be trying to be Sunday clean.

Oops, sorry for the double post, meant to copy and paste to the above post.

Train as you fight, the ol' military standard! Which is the purpose of the race at the end of practice for each combo. However, I really am going to stick to my guns about this boost racing. The purpose is not only to learn the track and car, but also to polish your racecraft. Practice isn't about win or lose, and using boost will allow everyone the chance to be in the pack, see the front runners lines and brake points, practice passing, and adjusting to racing in a draft type situation.
The one issue I see is that we will continue, or even see an exaggeration of the issues we have now with practice racing, where not everyone will be trying to be Sunday clean.

Oops, sorry for the double post, meant to copy and paste to the above post.
Boost is pointless. People behind the leader have exaggerated grip. It is just setting them up for failure when the real race comes. If people want to better their racecraft, just ask some faster drivers to watch them and give some constructive criticism or watch how they run a course during a replay. Almost everyone that we race with would be more than happy to help fellow snails polish up before a race.

Can I get some lap times for the new combos?
Plan on practicing tonight or tomorrow night and just want to know what to shoot for.

Thanks.

Boost is pointless. People behind the leader have exaggerated grip. It is just setting them up for failure when the real race comes. If people want to better their racecraft, just ask some faster drivers to watch them and give some constructive criticism or watch how they run a course during a replay. Almost everyone that we race with would be more than happy to help fellow snails polish up before a race.
That would be teaching them racing lines, not racecraft. We have a whole OLR and video tutorials to tell people all day long what racecraft is. It does not give anyone actual on track experience with racecraft though. Having someone watch you and having someone critique your driving line doesnt tell you how to not hit someone. Getting on the track with 10 other people and having it so that everyone stays nice a packed up together on the other hand will go a long way in teaching someone situational awareness and attention to detail.

That would be teaching them racing lines, not racecraft. We have a whole OLR and video tutorials to tell people all day long what racecraft is. It does not give anyone actual on track experience with racecraft though. Having someone watch you and having someone critique your driving line doesnt tell you how to not hit someone. Getting on the track with 10 other people and having it so that everyone stays nice a packed up together on the other hand will go a long way in teaching someone situational awareness and attention to detail.

I think you're onto something here but I don't think you should use whatever the current combos are when you run a room like this. Running the current combos with enhanced grip and speed will most likely do more harm than good. The harm coming in the form that Russ mentions. I don't think you ever meant this as a replacement for Sunday night practice. If you did, I don't see that as a very good idea. I do feel that running in close proximity will serve as good general practice for doing the same when it counts and boost is a way to get everybody together.

If you looking for something to do tomorrow evening, head on over to Division 2 for S.P.E.C. Racing starting at 10PM EST.

Tomorrow's Race

Car: 2011 NASCAR

Track: Daytona Oval

Laps: 120

Cautions: Laps 30, 60, and 90

Also don't forget that starting on Dec. 7th we'll begin testing on GT6 with our first official race starting in January!

Last edited:
I think you're onto something here but I don't think you should use whatever the current combos are when you run a room like this. Running the current combos with enhanced grip and speed will most likely do more harm than good. The harm coming in the form that Russ mentions. I don't think you ever meant this as a replacement for Sunday night practice. If you did, I don't see that as a very good idea. I do feel that running in close proximity will serve as good general practice for doing the same when it counts and boost is a way to get everybody together.

Nah, I originally put it out there a few months back as its own event. Since nothing popular is catching on Fridays, maybe I'll try and get that going instead. However, my suggestion for Thursday practice, if it were coordinated well, think back in the sharkie/mopar days, I think it would really go well.

Hello guys,
Anyone knows if there is a way to watch the GT academy episodes outise of the USA?
I can't watch them in spike tv webpage because it has region filter :(

I was interested in Drive Club, but it's been delayed. Not really interested in Need For Speed, so I'll have to see what's available fo it.

One thing I'm still not clear about on Drive Club.. Can players actually race online head to head with each other (on the same track at the same time)? Everything I've read or seen makes it sound as though the idea behind the game is to compete by comparing best times on a given car/track combo. If that's the case, it sounds more like a glorified GT Academy time trial than an actual racing game. Does anyone know if that's the case?

My pre-order is ready to pick up, now I just have to wait for work to end :(

I was interested in Drive Club, but it's been delayed. Not really interested in Need For Speed, so I'll have to see what's available fo it.

Worked for a guy who was happy to say 'I prefer to be first to be second' :lol:

Not sure on the release date but check out 'the crew' it looks pretty epic

I'm not 100% sure if drive club has online race capabilities or not. Hope so. I've given need for speed enough money and not had as much fun as I'd hoped for. Willing to give Drive Club a chance.

So far impressed with the performance of the PS4. Quick navigation, easy to get from one area to another. Not had a bunch of game play yet though

Just watching a live stream of cod ghosts. Rally, you're going to love it. Just set up twitch or ustream, hit the share button on the controller and you're streaming. The quality is very good 👍

You get a list of people streaming, scroll around till you find one you're interested in, click on it and you're in game. Text chat available and the streamer can talk to you. Cool stuff. One dude had 1100+ people watching :boggled:

Okay, I'm off to my game. Hopefully someone steps up to coordinate practice and tries a few of the new ideas out. 👍

Also, I did end up posting the lineup. Sort of.. :D
Thanks for making your Prize A and Prize B selections!
Sorry for the delay, but the November 17th lineup has been posted. :gtpflag:

Can anyone assist with lap numbers please?

5 laps for both I believe.

I'm not 100% sure if drive club has online race capabilities or not. Hope so. I've given need for speed enough money and not had as much fun as I'd hoped for. Willing to give Drive Club a chance.

So far impressed with the performance of the PS4. Quick navigation, easy to get from one area to another. Not had a bunch of game play yet though

Just watching a live stream of cod ghosts. Rally, you're going to love it. Just set up twitch or ustream, hit the share button on the controller and you're streaming. The quality is very good 👍

You get a list of people streaming, scroll around till you find one you're interested in, click on it and you're in game. Text chat available and the streamer can talk to you. Cool stuff. One dude had 1100+ people watching :boggled:
I look forward to the day we can take SNAIL viral like that. Imagine doing a touge battle, and the people not racing can actually watch the cockpit view of the race and not just the track based cameras! That would be rad!

If you looking for something to do tonight, head on over to Division 2 for S.P.E.C. Racing starting at 10PM EST.

Tonight's Race

Car: 2011 NASCAR

Track: Daytona Oval

Laps: 120

Cautions: Laps 30, 60, and 90

Also don't forget that starting on Dec. 7th we'll begin testing on GT6 with our first official race starting in January!

Who's going to be around tonight that's not participating in SPEC? around 9ish, anyone feel like trying out some racecraft experiments? Maybe some boosted shuffle and and also try out strong draft settings. Play around until we get something nice. I was thinking since the good point was made that boost artificially boosts parameters and would not make for a good combo practice, maybe boosting the draft would work better. It might even help some people work on draft awareness since it will be exaggerated, but without the negative effects of changing any of the cars actual handling characteristics.

I'm very sad to learn that Trever Baine has been diagnosed with MS!

We must not take anything in life for granted!, yet live life to the fullest!
Amen!

That definitely sucks for him, but based on what I've read it looks like it won't affect his racing career. 👍

That definitely sucks for him, but based on what I've read it looks like it won't affect his racing career. 👍
Thank you Zero!
It won't hurt his career TODAY but in his future, It will!

A kid with so much talent, a DAYTONA Champion at the age of 21!

Let us not take our lives for granted but live life to the fullest and take full advantage of every opportunity!

Back