This Weeks Banners!

Photo cred in order
@RobbiefromBC
@ ??
@shmibal_GT

1799053_10152679837619278_924447350_o.jpg

1523644_10152679837629278_1177409832_o.jpg

10005982_10152679837614278_1458888102_o.jpg

Thanks for the pic entry’s everyone! I am keeping track who gets on the banner to be sure of not picking a favourite photographer and everybody gets a pic up. Next week be sure to post pics if you want to see it up on the banners

Also if the photographer for the combo 2 pic would like to claim it that would be great!

Last edited:
Last edited:
March 9, 2014 lineup
banners by @LoganMichael

ROUND ONE
Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5 - 16 Evolution ll '91
(???HP / PP ???) (Sports Hard tires)
at Nürburgring GP/F (? laps)

photo by @shmibal_GT

ROUND TWO
Renault Sport Megane Trophy Base Model '11
(377HP / PP 518) (Racing Hard tires)
at Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps (4 laps)

photo by ???

ROUND THREE
Red Bull X2014 Junior
(???HP / PP ???) (Racing Medium tires)
at Twin Ring Motegi Road Course (? laps)

photo by @RobbiefromBC

Looking like the missing info is going to be:
Combo 1: 416PP/242HP (4laps)
Combo 3: 736PP/258HP (5laps)

Basing lap amounts on 10 minute races. Combo 1 roughly 2:30 per lap and combo 3 rought 1:50 a lap.

Looks good though, nice work Logan

This Weeks Banners!

Photo cred in order
@RobbiefromBC
@ ??
@shmibal_GT

Thanks for the pic entry’s everyone! I am keeping track who gets on the banner to be sure of not picking a favourite photographer and everybody gets a pic up. Next week be sure to post pics if you want to see it up on the banners

Also if the photographer for the combo 2 pic would like to claim it that would be great!

In the future you may want to wait until Friday evening to post the banners. Typically we would post pictures from the official practice sessions.

In the future you may want to wait until Friday evening to post the banners. Typically we would post pictures from the official practice sessions.

This message is approved by the Division 3 Photography Office! Very true!

Will try to host Red Room.

Tex,
Thank you for stepping up last minute last night.

Current Host and Race Directors from D5,6,7,8. In order for practice to run smoothly I need to have at least 2 more capable hosts willing to host the Red Room and perhaps Yellow Overflow when needed.

If you are interested please let me know on a side conversation.

Blue room was a blast last night and for a couple of races we actually had a full grid of 16.

I had an idea for prize C last night. 💡 What if we gave prize C a "freeze play" by which I mean they can choose a part(track or car) to stay, or freeze, for combo B. This would actually be a prize instead of just the tie breaking vote, which rarely happens.
So if you win prize C you can have a say in what part of combo B stays, the track or the car.

What do you guys think about the prize C freeze play?

I had an idea for prize C last night. 💡 What if we gave prize C a "freeze play" by which I mean they can choose a part(track or car) to stay, or freeze, for combo B. This would actually be a prize instead of just the tie breaking vote, which rarely happens.
So if you win prize C you can have a say in what part of combo B stays, the track or the car.

I think this would be a great idea. Price C doesn't get to chose anything new, which will be fair to prizes A and B.

Basically, I'm thinking that if we can get a message or two translated into Japanese, we could use our sizable member base to our advantage by asking SNAILs to send those messages to @Kaz_Yamauchi via Twitter. It may be a pipe dream, but my hope is that the number of tweets he receives with the same requests (and in Japanese so he fully understands them) will show him that there is a significant number of GT fans who are wanting the same thing.

Of course, there have been other attempts to get Kaz's attention (e.g. the petition that @cmbeal317 linked for us), but what I want to ask for is something that I doubt has ever been brought up to him before. More importantly, it's something that would seemingly be very easy to implement (at least easier than turning GT6's vaporware into something that actually exists). What I would like us to push for is just a small tweak rather than a brand new feature, so hopefully he might be more receptive to looking into it.

Everyone who follows this thread knows how much of a hot-button issue penalty settings have been for us. It's literally been something that has been discussed almost since the beginning of the league. We've have countless debates on the topic and have taken votes (one of which was taken at the end of of league night in each division right after the elimination votes were cast). Anyways, my point is that the penalty system is severely flawed because it forces us to accept the negatives of a penalty setting if we want the benefits of it as well.

A prime example is short-cutting penalties. Aside from some questionable penalty areas on certain tracks (like La Sarthe), most everyone agrees that shortcut penalties are a generally a good thing because they prevent cheating both during races and during qualifying (btw, this is not possible - someone would have to leave the track in order to change the setting. We tested having the last qualifier do it, but there was something else that happened when this was done if I recall). But I digress..

As much as shortcut penalties are desirable, collision penalties are equally as undesirable. So why force one to be chosen when the other is? Why can't we just choose which penalties we want to allow just like we can choose which driving aids we want to allow? I joked about contacting Kaz about this almost two years ago, but I'm not joking anymore. After all this time, I think it's as valid of a request as ever, and I think that if we approach this in the right way, we might be able to get something to happen. Even if it's a long shot, we'll never know unless we try.

EDIT: It's worth mentioning that I got additional motivation to do something like this after watching this video:

WARNING! Don't roll your eyes too far up at the 1:10 mark. They might not come back down! :sly:

If you're just wanting to send short messages via twitter, wouldn't google translate function?

I heard you suggest this last night, but I don't have a mic, so I couldn't respond. The part about this I don't like about is that from my perspective, prize C seems to have more "power" than prize B would. Being able to tell the prize B winner what they need to replace. It is a good idea though and I agree we should find a better reward for prize C winners.

Basically, I'm thinking that if we can get a message or two translated into Japanese, we could use our sizable member base to our advantage by asking SNAILs to send those messages to @Kaz_Yamauchi via Twitter. It may be a pipe dream, but my hope is that the number of tweets he receives with the same requests (and in Japanese so he fully understands them) will show him that there is a significant number of GT fans who are wanting the same thing.

Of course, there have been other attempts to get Kaz's attention (e.g. the petition that @cmbeal317 linked for us), but what I want to ask for is something that I doubt has ever been brought up to him before. More importantly, it's something that would seemingly be very easy to implement (at least easier than turning GT6's vaporware into something that actually exists). What I would like us to push for is just a small tweak rather than a brand new feature, so hopefully he might be more receptive to looking into it.

Everyone who follows this thread knows how much of a hot-button issue penalty settings have been for us. It's literally been something that has been discussed almost since the beginning of the league. We've have countless debates on the topic and have taken votes (one of which was taken at the end of of league night in each division right after the elimination votes were cast). Anyways, my point is that the penalty system is severely flawed because it forces us to accept the negatives of a penalty setting if we want the benefits of it as well.

A prime example is short-cutting penalties. Aside from some questionable penalty areas on certain tracks (like La Sarthe), most everyone agrees that shortcut penalties are a generally a good thing because they prevent cheating both during races and during qualifying (btw, this is not possible - someone would have to leave the track in order to change the setting. We tested having the last qualifier do it, but there was something else that happened when this was done if I recall). But I digress..

As much as shortcut penalties are desirable, collision penalties are equally as undesirable. So why force one to be chosen when the other is? Why can't we just choose which penalties we want to allow just like we can choose which driving aids we want to allow? I joked about contacting Kaz about this almost two years ago, but I'm not joking anymore. After all this time, I think it's as valid of a request as ever, and I think that if we approach this in the right way, we might be able to get something to happen. Even if it's a long shot, we'll never know unless we try.

EDIT: It's worth mentioning that I got additional motivation to do something like this after watching this video:

WARNING! Don't roll your eyes too far up at the 1:10 mark. They might not come back down! :sly:

I don't know if it's worth looking into, but my younger brother lives in the Philippines and his 3 kids all take Mandarin in school and I think he knows at least a little too. The catch is his oldest just turned 8, so I'm not sure how much he has learned in the last 3 years of taking it. If you want to PM me your intended message I can get it to him and see if they can translate it clearly.

Kaz is Japanese, not Chinese, so Mandarin would not translate for Kaz. At least he probably understand some English. Mandarin is doubtful.

@OwensRacing , this weekend, I think I'll be coming back to iRacing. Considering GT6's issues, lack of communication, and lack of what I actually bought the game for, getting a few months and a couple of cars/tracks sounds better than getting a new laser and fixing my PS3 at the moment.
Maybe we can gather some of the other snails that ventured over and get a snail event started there.

Kaz is Japanese, not Chinese, so Mandarin would not translate for Kaz. At least he probably understand some English. Mandarin is doubtful.

@OwensRacing , this weekend, I think I'll be coming back to iRacing. Considering GT6's issues, lack of communication, and lack of what I actually bought the game for, getting a few months and a couple of cars/tracks sounds better than getting a new laser and fixing my PS3 at the moment.

Oh, well then, I guess my suggestion is pretty much worthless. Someone mentioned Mandarin earlier, and I didn't think about the fact that it's Chinese, not Japanese.

Maybe we can gather some of the other snails that ventured over and get a snail event started there.

I ran some laps in iRacing with Kcheeb last night. Much fun.

RB JR if you change tires to RM you will not be allowed to enter race not sure if you all know about this. It's going to cause issues on Sunday so please some1 look into this.

'Tis true! Thanks dabneyd. Getting used to the UI and the Mazda.

Wish there was more control over who you race with, practice rooms are open to all, so I can see the potential for randoms causing issues. But it is what it is. Also, the add on car and tracks packs can add up pretty quickly.

Going to check into their league functionality ...

Right on. I'm gonna start a new account and take advantage of the 50% off for 3 months, and a get a few cars. What way are you all planning to go with your car purchases? In thinking of going with prototypes and the gt3 style cars.

RB JR if you change tires to RM you will not be allowed to enter race not sure if you all know about this. It's going to cause issues on Sunday so please some1 look into this.
You probably have the brake balance adjusted. For some reason it won't let me adjust bb and still get on track

'Tis true! Thanks dabneyd. Getting used to the UI and the Mazda.

Wish there was more control over who you race with, practice rooms are open to all, so I can see the potential for randoms causing issues. But it is what it is. Also, the add on car and tracks packs can add up pretty quickly.

Going to check into their league functionality ...
Is SNAIL going to be starting a league there soon? I can devote some Monday and Wednesday time to this. I'll be working on the basement tonight at some point, so I should be up and running this weekend.

Is SNAIL going to be starting a league there soon? I can devote some Monday and Wednesday time to this. I'll be working on the basement tonight at some point, so I should be up and running this weekend.

I just checked it out, costs $10/year. Not a deterrent :)

If there's enough interest, I'd be game. Just add your name to the latest S.N.A.I.L. iRacing League Interest Check post and we'll see where it goes.

S.N.A.I.L. iRacing League Interest Check

@kcheeb

Like @Troggy said, it's probably a brake balance issue. In the RED room last night we all used RM tires and only @sseyferth had to get a new car, but I'm not sure the error message he was getting.

I am interested, just a little leery of the monthly price - I may try it for a month. Not sure if I will do that before May - I'm entering my 'silly season' here.

Right on. I'm gonna start a new account and take advantage of the 50% off for 3 months, and a get a few cars. What way are you all planning to go with your car purchases? In thinking of going with prototypes and the gt3 style cars.

I've recently bought the Jetta, Kia, Ruf, McLaren, HPD ARX-01, and the Skip Barber car for road racing. I've got the late model and the SK modified for ovals.

@kcheeb
@OwensRacing
@Handlebar
@dabneyd

Back