◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,772 comments
So Team Redline, who recently welcomed into their fold our own Doug (for some reason I couldn't tag him in the post - anyone knows why?), have announced a new team member: a dude so young he doesn't have a driver's license yet, although his day job is driving for Toro Rosso: Max Verstappen.

Apparently Max got himself a Play Seat from Red Bull, installed it in his parents' house in Belgium and will spend his summer break from F1 having driving lessons so he can get his license and simracing...

Not a bad life.

You mean @TRL_Importlife?

So Team Redline, who recently welcomed into their fold our own Doug (for some reason I couldn't tag him in the post - anyone knows why?), have announced a new team member: a dude so young he doesn't have a driver's license yet, although his day job is driving for Toro Rosso: Max Verstappen.

Apparently Max got himself a Play Seat from Red Bull, installed it in his parents' house in Belgium and will spend his summer break from F1 having driving lessons so he can get his license and simracing...

Not a bad life.

@FlipJ how did you find out about this :P

To tag me you have to use @ trl_importlife

But yeah Max has joined forces with Team Red Line - TRL

He will be racing with the Iracing based trl team, I'm currently waiting on my donor computer from virtual gt so I can see where I stack up in Iracing, I will still be racing on gran Turismo.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Another week and another absentee prize winner. This time it's @Ricky Wilson and it's for prize A. It's been 24 hours since the all clear was given and we have heard nothing so here it goes.

All those who raced in D1 this Sunday are allowed one, and only one, nomination for prize A. When making your nomination, list the entire car name and the entire track name. Failure to do so will result in your nomination being thrown out. Do no edit your post that contains your nomination. Doing this will void your nomination. Making multiple nominations will void any and all nominations you make. If your nomination is thrown out for any reason, you will not get a second chance to nominate something so make the first one count. All nominations must be posted in the main thread by the driver making the nomination.

Do not get together in your divisional conversation and come to a group decision. This is not only your decision. D1 is making the nominations and the rest of the drivers are voting from those nominations.

The deadline for nominations will be Noon ET on Thursday. Voting will begin at that time. Any votes cast before I open the voting will be thrown out.

If at any time during the nomination process, @Ricky Wilson should make his choice, it will be accepted and this process will be dropped.

@TRL_Importlife @Nicktune @Matt Sierras @ConnorWolf @Vitessekid @msgt-sd @Ness @Xradkins @turnupdaheat @Crystalline_T @MSgtGunny @gtr3123

@FlipJ how did you find out about this :P

To tag me you have to use @ trl_importlife

But yeah Max has joined forces with Team Red Line - TRL

He will be racing with the Iracing based trl team, I'm currently waiting on my donor computer from virtual gt so I can see where I stack up in Iracing, I will still be racing on gran Turismo.

View attachment 420709

Someone posted that FB announcement to Reddit (same dude posted a pic of Max's setup yesterday).
So naturally I thought of our own TRL member!!
Just forgot you had changed username...

And I think we all know how you'll stack up in iRacing, about as well as in GT!

Another week and another absentee prize winner. This time it's @Ricky Wilson and it's for prize A. It's been 24 hours since the all clear was given and we have heard nothing so here it goes.

All those who raced in D1 this Sunday are allowed one, and only one, nomination for prize A. When making your nomination, list the entire car name and the entire track name. Failure to do so will result in your nomination being thrown out. Do no edit your post that contains your nomination. Doing this will void your nomination. Making multiple nominations will void any and all nominations you make. If your nomination is thrown out for any reason, you will not get a second chance to nominate something so make the first one count. All nominations must be posted in the main thread by the driver making the nomination.

Do not get together in your divisional conversation and come to a group decision. This is not only your decision. D1 is making the nominations and the rest of the drivers are voting from those nominations.

The deadline for nominations will be Noon ET on Thursday. Voting will begin at that time. Any votes cast before I open the voting will be thrown out.

If at any time during the nomination process, @Ricky Wilson should make his choice, it will be accepted and this process will be dropped.

@TRL_Importlife @Nicktune @Matt Sierras @ConnorWolf @Vitessekid @msgt-sd @Ness @Xradkins @turnupdaheat @Crystalline_T @MSgtGunny @gtr3123
Gonna have to repost this like every hour when you wake up to make sure it gets done by noon.

Someone posted that FB announcement to Reddit (same dude posted a pic of Max's setup yesterday).
So naturally I thought of our own TRL member!!
Just forgot you had changed username...

And I think we all know how you'll stack up in iRacing, about as well as in GT!

Here's his setup very close to what I get to use when I'm at virtual gt hq well minus the f1 playseat

image.jpg

I had to put the PS 3 into safe mode and found out that the file system was corrupted, so I have to wait to race with you guys soon.

Yeah, that was the picture.

I imagine it was fairly easy for him to score a PlaySeat, though...

It's close to mine as well, other than the two extra monitors, the play seat and the F1 style wheel. Hehehe

Lol and you missed the full motion d-box setup and his hydrolic pedals
And the wheel is custom sim experience arcuforce

He @Ricky Wilson was testing something with a bunch of the guys tonight. I'm sure he'll have his choice sorted out by the deadline.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see inconsistencies in these deadlines people are given for prize choices. Some people don't visit the forum every day, real life things happen. Is there a format for when these deadlines are placed? Do we have rules for them, or are they just addressed as we see fit?

To aid the prize process, are division winners notified that they unofficially won the division for the night? If not, maybe they should, so they can at least be aware at an earlier time as they are a potential prize winner. It just seems like there's a lot of pressure for prize winners to pick really quick. Some people may not have an idea of what to pick, because again, real life things happen. These kinds of things will result in poor combo decisions.

Could people offer up time to run "Potential combo rooms" once or twice a month? Even if people don't find a combo, they may pick up some ideas for good ones to practice at other times. Is there a way to streamline the process more to give people more time to make selections?

This is a random, ignorable rant that has nothing to do with the league or anyone in it, but I felt like saying this somewhere people would hear it. xD

It's sad when a stock V6 Camry is faster to 60mph than a $10mil+ Ferrari 250 GT, but if a modern sports car is slower in a straight line than that same V6 Camry it's a "poser car" or "not really a sports car".

What does that even mean?!?

If you feel like your sports car has to beat all bland modern family cars in horsepower to be respected, then it's essentially impossible to make an affordable sports car that is respected, no matter how good it is. Modern appliances are just that powerful now. A top of the line Corolla GT-S was $11k USD in 1985. With inflation that is $23,000USD in 2015... I think some of you know what I'm getting at now. That's also the base price of the Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ, it's supposed successor.

That car has been getting a bad rap as of late for it's low power output compared to other cars it competes with; even though it's essentially in a class of it's own right now, but I'm of the opinion that Toyota/Subaru simply copied the original format of the AE86 better than most people realize. (Even if the BRZ has a way better power/weight ratio than an AE86)

This is MotorWeek review from 1985 of the USDM MR2 and the AE86 GT-S... Look how slow they are, look how much body roll they have! These are cars that have a cult following and at least one of them is considered "legendary".

It's true, this review is now 30 years old - but these old cars are STILL well respected even today. Why? They were good cars; no GREAT cars, even if they were a little slow out of the box compared to other sports cars of the time. Their suspensions weren't even sophisticated. They were simple, functional, efficient and inexpensive. They did it all in the right ways, though. They were light and well balanced. They were driver-focused and road-focused. They could easily be made to outperform much more expensive cars on technical tracks (or in Rally and hillclimb events where they're still extremely popular) They didn't even pretend to isolate you from the road. They were easy to drive on the street, and rewarding to push on the track with the slightest of modifications. The interiors were cheap, but who cared? Thats not where your money went.

Following that tradition, the BRZ is the lightest semi-affordable RWD coupe with a roof since... well probably since the Nissan S chassis! And we didn't even get the last generation of that car here. The FR-S/BRZ is an amazing car to build whatever you want, or just drive around on the street and actually be able to enjoy doing it; to at least still feel like you're actually driving something.

What do you actually want from a sports car? Numbers on a page? To feel superior to the guy next to you in his Chrysler 300 land yacht because you beat him from a stoplight? Why does a sports car have to be faster than a 300HP bland appliance to be respectable? Why can't we just admit that.. "Damn, that's a pretty fast minivan [or land yacht, or bland appliance]. It's not even slightly a sports car, though." Why can't we have a cheap lightweight RWD sports car that is also practical? I guess it's a case of "light, cheap, practical, powerful. Pick any two". If only I could pick three...

The BRZ's only downfall, to me, is that it isn't quite practical enough. The hatchback version of the AE86 could haul some serious cargo (bass cab with 18" woofer, 350w bass amp head, two guitar combo amps, some small PA speakers, a drum set minus the kick, two guitars and a bass in their cases, pedals, cables, two guitar stands if I remember correctly...), and on several occasions I've carried four actual adult human passengers! All in a car that weighs ~1900lbs (in the spec mine is, with some work done, without me in it). That meant it not only functioned as a badass little RWD coupe, it could be your only car. It was just a Corolla, after all. If the FR-S/BRZ was everything it is right now, but as practical as that... I'd have one already. I'd have found a way xD

I'm hoping some other companies come out with something like what I've described, but i'm not holding my breath.

Anyway, there's something to think about I guess xD If you read that whole thing - I'm sorry.

This is a random, ignorable rant that has nothing to do with the league or anyone in it, but I felt like saying this somewhere people would hear it. xD

It's sad when a stock V6 Camry is faster to 60mph than a $10mil+ Ferrari 250 GT, but if a modern sports car is slower in a straight line than that same V6 Camry it's a "poser car" or "not really a sports car".

What does that even mean?!?

If you feel like your sports car has to beat all bland modern family cars in horsepower to be respected, then it's essentially impossible to make an affordable sports car that is respected, no matter how good it is. Modern appliances are just that powerful now. A top of the line Corolla GT-S was $11k USD in 1985. With inflation that is $23,000USD in 2015... I think some of you know what I'm getting at now. That's also the base price of the Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ, it's supposed successor.

That car has been getting a bad rap as of late for it's low power output compared to other cars it competes with; even though it's essentially in a class of it's own right now, but I'm of the opinion that Toyota/Subaru simply copied the original format of the AE86 better than most people realize. (Even if the BRZ has a way better power/weight ratio than an AE86)

This is MotorWeek review from 1985 of the USDM MR2 and the AE86 GT-S... Look how slow they are, look how much body roll they have! These are cars that have a cult following and at least one of them is considered "legendary".

It's true, this review is now 30 years old - but these old cars are STILL well respected even today. Why? They were good cars; no GREAT cars, even if they were a little slow out of the box compared to other sports cars of the time. Their suspensions weren't even sophisticated. They were simple, functional, efficient and inexpensive. They did it all in the right ways, though. They were light and well balanced. They were driver-focused and road-focused. They could easily be made to outperform much more expensive cars on technical tracks (or in Rally and hillclimb events where they're still extremely popular) They didn't even pretend to isolate you from the road. They were easy to drive on the street, and rewarding to push on the track with the slightest of modifications. The interiors were cheap, but who cared? Thats not where your money went.

Following that tradition, the BRZ is the lightest semi-affordable RWD coupe with a roof since... well probably since the Nissan S chassis! And we didn't even get the last generation of that car here. The FR-S/BRZ is an amazing car to build whatever you want, or just drive around on the street and actually be able to enjoy doing it; to at least still feel like you're actually driving something.

What do you actually want from a sports car? Numbers on a page? To feel superior to the guy next to you in his Chrysler 300 land yacht because you beat him from a stoplight? Why does a sports car have to be faster than a 300HP bland appliance to be respectable? Why can't we just admit that.. "Damn, that's a pretty fast minivan [or land yacht, or bland appliance]. It's not even slightly a sports car, though." Why can't we have a cheap lightweight RWD sports car that is also practical? I guess it's a case of "light, cheap, practical, powerful. Pick any two". If only I could pick three...

The BRZ's only downfall, to me, is that it isn't quite practical enough. The hatchback version of the AE86 could haul some serious cargo (bass cab with 18" woofer, 350w bass amp head, two guitar combo amps, some small PA speakers, a drum set minus the kick, two guitars and a bass in their cases, pedals, cables, two guitar stands if I remember correctly...), and on several occasions I've carried four actual adult human passengers! All in a car that weighs ~1900lbs (in the spec mine is, with some work done, without me in it). That meant it not only functioned as a badass little RWD coupe, it could be your only car. It was just a Corolla, after all. If the FR-S/BRZ was everything it is right now, but as practical as that... I'd have one already. I'd have found a way xD

I'm hoping some other companies come out with something like what I've described, but i'm not holding my breath.

Anyway, there's something to think about I guess xD If you read that whole thing - I'm sorry.

@ConnorWolf,one of my all time favorite cars is the ,,,,,,Trueno Sprinter!I think that was one of the cars original to Gran Turismo!That car was awesome with very few mods,and a terror when you added chassis,and drivetrain mods.

Back