◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,686 comments
New Driver Placement Scheduling
and
Promotion and Relegation Scheduling

All drivers that submit a time trial before 23:59 ET on Saturday night will be placed in a division for racing on that Sunday. This may occur as late at Sunday afternoon but it will be done in time for Sunday night racing.

Every effort will be made to have promotion and relegation completed by the Friday night before the start of the new season. When there is a high number of new drivers in the registration process, promotion and relegation may be delayed and announced after the Saturday deadline for new driver time trials.

Last edited:
Mike,
I race a controller and have found that yes controllers seem to change direction quicker...they also are harder to modulate steering input as well. However I believe what you are seeing is the replay program isn't as defined for the second party replay as is for the driver, regardless of wheel or controller. Seems quirky for all 2nd party replays.

+1

It's 90% 2nd party replay jitter, not controller.

I am going to bring up the controller issue again. I watched one of the races from many other peoples cars. You can tell right off who is racing with a controller, their cars are all over the track and the control that is handed to them because of the supposed "inferior controller", especially on corners is blatantly apparent. Before anyone bites my head off about this, watch the replays. With a wheel, I have to take the right lines on a racetrack to carry speed, i have to be smooth to be competitive. Controller guys seem to be able to drive with what looks like reckless abandon and still carry speed. Watch some of the lines these guys take through corners....... There is no way they should be able to carry speed when their car is all over the place and nowhere near the apex. There are some drivers in Snail on top or very near the top that wouldn't be there if they were on wheels. This is not a dis to the guys, it is what it is. Wheels are expensive, but offer so much to the realism of the "game". Plus it puts you on the same playing field as the rest of the guys. I can't be the only one to notice this, maybe it's sour grapes.......not. A wheels only series, future, maybe
Edit
Controller guys tend to have to take different lines because their steering inputs are so extreme.

These guys will suffer greatly on courses where corners are longer...especially big speedways like Daytona.

It's also a huge disadvantage in other series where tire wear is a factor like the Racecar series on Wednesday, the DTC on Tues and the Saturday Enduro. Controller guys have a hard time saving tires...not a problem on Sunday though.

Mike,
I race a controller and have found that yes controllers seem to change direction quicker...they also are harder to modulate steering input as well. However I believe what you are seeing is the replay program isn't as defined for the second party replay as is for the driver, regardless of wheel or controller. Seems quirky for all 2nd party replays.
Your first line says it all, if you can change direction quicker, is that not an advantage? as for modulation......smodulation. If a guy on a controller can outdrive me through corners bouncing all over the place, not even close to the apex of a corner, while I'm perfectly in the line carrying perfect speed and control, there is something wrong. It's not a replay glitch, watch replays from all the cars in your divisions,you can instantly tell who doesn't have a wheel. Better control with 🤬 cornering and better spin recovery coming out of corners.... Advantage.... Controllers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your first line says it all, if you can change direction quicker, is that not an advantage? as for modulation......smodulation. If a guy on a controller can outdrive me through corners bouncing all over the place, not even close to the apex of a corner, while I'm perfectly in the line carrying perfect speed and control, there is something wrong. It's not a replay glitch, watch replays from all the cars in your divisions,you can instantly tell who doesn't have a wheel. Better control with shatty cornering and better spin recovery coming out of corners.... Advantage.... Controllers.
Mike take a breathe.

Your first line says it all, if you can change direction quicker, is that not an advantage? as for modulation......smodulation. If a guy on a controller can outdrive me through corners bouncing all over the place, not even close to the apex of a corner, while I'm perfectly in the line carrying perfect speed and control, there is something wrong. It's not a replay glitch, watch replays from all the cars in your divisions,you can instantly tell who doesn't have a wheel. Better control with shatty cornering and better spin recovery coming out of corners.... Advantage.... Controllers.
I have a few alien friends; LLoydz, AKA-Jay...they always go faster with wheel than controller. Also i must add, they are still faster than everybody else when on controller...which lends credence to, "if your fast...your fast".

Maybe you didn't read my reply?

Ask @turnupdaheat about his huge controller advantage in the Racecar series last season.

Controllers have a disadvantage in long corners where full lock isn't needed...looking at the tracks from last night, check your cornering speed vs controllers on the long right hander in the middle of Apricot, or the final turn at SSR5.

Controllers are great in a lot of situations, but inferior in just as many.

The ability to change direction faster isn't always a good thing. It can unsettle the car and cause a loss of traction and slow you down. Is it easier for a controller user to catch a mistake, yes, they have a smaller input to make and can do it faster but they have already made the mistake to slow them down. The bottom line is don't make the mistake and you won't have to worry about correcting it. If you are driving along as smooth as possible and the guy on the controller is making a mistake and catching it and still beating you, you need to go faster. That's not a personal shot at you or your ability, it's a general statement. If the controller user is screwing up and catching it (aided or not) and is still running faster than a wheel user then the wheel user isn't getting the full potential out of the car.

I honestly can't stand the controller vs wheel argument. It is pointless.

There are very fast people with a wheel. There are very fast people with a controller. Do not blame it on your equipment if there is someone faster than you using the same equipment.

If I were to go back to a DS3, it would take a while to get use to since I haven't used it in a long time. But I know it would be possible to get back to my same speed, because there are people who are faster than me that use a controller.

Special Stage Route 5.jpg Special Stage Route 5_1.jpg Special Stage Route 5_2.jpg Special Stage Route 5_3.jpg Special Stage Route 5_5.jpg Special Stage Route 5_4.jpg Special Stage Route 5_6.jpg Special Stage Route 5_7.jpg Special Stage Route 5_8.jpg Special Stage Route 5_9.jpg Special Stage Route 5_10.jpg Special Stage Route 5_11.jpg Special Stage Route 5_12.jpg Special Stage Route 5_13.jpg Special Stage Route 5_14.jpg Special Stage Route 5_15.jpg Special Stage Route 5_16.jpg Special Stage Route 5_17.jpg Special Stage Route 5_18.jpg Special Stage Route 5_19.jpg Special Stage Route 5_20.jpg Special Stage Route 5_21.jpg Special Stage Route 5_22.jpg Special Stage Route 5_23.jpg Special Stage Route 5_24.jpg Special Stage Route 5_25.jpg Special Stage Route 5_26.jpg Special Stage Route 5_27.jpg Special Stage Route 5_28.jpg Autodromo Nazionale Monza.jpg Autodromo Nazionale Monza_1.jpg Autodromo Nazionale Monza_2.jpg Autodromo Nazionale Monza_3.jpg Autodromo Nazionale Monza_4.jpg Autodromo Nazionale Monza_5.jpg Autodromo Nazionale Monza_6.jpg Autodromo Nazionale Monza_7.jpg Autodromo Nazionale Monza_8.jpg Autodromo Nazionale Monza_9.jpg Autodromo Nazionale Monza_10.jpg Autodromo Nazionale Monza_11.jpg Autodromo Nazionale Monza_12.jpg Autodromo Nazionale Monza_13.jpg Autodromo Nazionale Monza_14.jpg Apricot Hill Raceway.jpg Apricot Hill Raceway_1.jpg Apricot Hill Raceway_2.jpg Apricot Hill Raceway_3.jpg Apricot Hill Raceway_4.jpg Apricot Hill Raceway_5.jpg Apricot Hill Raceway_6.jpg Apricot Hill Raceway_7.jpg Apricot Hill Raceway_8.jpg Apricot Hill Raceway_9.jpg Apricot Hill Raceway_10.jpg Apricot Hill Raceway_11.jpg

I think this is worthy of discussion & should the OLR be revised to better emulate reality...
REPOSTING

Friday, watched the latest edition of GTA. Good to see our brethren represent themselves so well, however a certain section of the show; the over-taking challenge, a stark reminder of our virtual craft, "hamstrung" two of our SNAILS. I watched in anquish as Boris and Danny criticized our boys for not assuming the "racing line" after overtaking a car. It's too bad just a little coaching could spell a different outcome/result....Just say'n

Birdy, not to squash your enthusiasm but, perhaps you could limit your picturesque posts to 10, or 15, of your favorite pictures?
I meant to put them in thumb nail version so they don't take up so much space if. I can figure it out i would actually like to make them into a photo book where you only see the cover page! Is that better?

Sounds abit like a problem i have with a specific users connections ...
Thankfully hes not in my division but i noticed when some people have practice rooms open and this person joins i am heavily lagging all over the place ... my car and everybody elses car ....however everybody else seem to just be fine, the moment he leaves/looses connection however everything is back to normal ... i even switched rooms once and after like 30 minutes that person coincidently came to the same room ... the moment it said xxx joined the room everything started to lagg again ... when he left it was back to normal.

So it looks like his and my connection just doesnt play well together for whatever reason, maybe you have a guy like that in your division aswell?
I thought about that, but I have no way to know weather that is the case or what to do if that was the case.

I think this is worthy of discussion & should the OLR be revised to better emulate reality...
REPOSTING

Friday, watched the latest edition of GTA. Good to see our brethren represent themselves so well, however a certain section of the show; the over-taking challenge, a stark reminder of our virtual craft, "hamstrung" two of our SNAILS. I watched in anquish as Boris and Danny criticized our boys for not assuming the "racing line" after overtaking a car. It's too bad just a little coaching could spell a different outcome/result....Just say'n

Why would our OLR need to be revised based on that statement? There is nothing in the OLR that says you can't return to the normal line once you have completed the pass on the straight. Once the pass on the straight is complete, meaning you have completely cleared the car you are passing, you are free to return to the racing line. What you are not allowed to do is make the pass, return to the racing line and slam on your brakes right in front of the other driver. That would be called a brake check and is just plain dirty. Diving in front of someone so you can late brake the corner would also not be considered good race craft but pulling back in front of someone before the breaking point to complete the pass and give yourself the optimal line for corner entry is allowed.

REPOSTING

I think you may be confusing the OLR with the Good Race Craft Guide.

Pretty sure no where in the OLR does it specifically state a passing driver cannot return to the racing line after completing a pass. The Good Race Craft Guide states, and I paraphrase here, it's poor sportsmanship to complete a pass and jump in front of the car you passed and slam on the brakes. Not only is that poor sportsmanship, when you complete a pass and jump back to the racing line, at, or near, the braking point, you're just asking to get rear ended by the guy that had a normal out of draft braking point planned and you just put them into a drafting braking point situation. This kind of driving falls under the 1st section in the OLR.

edit; tree'd.

Firstly
I am going to bring up the controller issue again. I watched one of the races from many other peoples cars. You can tell right off who is racing with a controller, their cars are all over the track and the control that is handed to them because of the supposed "inferior controller", especially on corners is blatantly apparent. Before anyone bites my head off about this, watch the replays. With a wheel, I have to take the right lines on a racetrack to carry speed, i have to be smooth to be competitive. Controller guys seem to be able to drive with what looks like reckless abandon and still carry speed. Watch some of the lines these guys take through corners....... There is no way they should be able to carry speed when their car is all over the place and nowhere near the apex. There are some drivers in Snail on top or very near the top that wouldn't be there if they were on wheels. This is not a dis to the guys, it is what it is. Wheels are expensive, but offer so much to the realism of the "game". Plus it puts you on the same playing field as the rest of the guys. I can't be the only one to notice this, maybe it's sour grapes.......not. A wheels only series, future, maybe
Edit
Firstly, I have to say, do not judge anothers performance by the replay. Your replay firstly, will not show other drivers smoothly, what may look like them jittering about in a turn or even a straight. Your entity takes priority to any other entity while the game records the data. As such, everyone will look kinda jittery. Secondly, your replay I'll most likely not look exactly the same as someone elses, stewards can back that up. Add to that the fact that usually the input being recorded is either full on, full off with a controller, and the issue gets even further convoluted. Kinda like how someone who is lagging can go from being smashed in a wall 5 cars behind you to all of a sudden taking the same space you are in and blasting you off the track.
That said, it's all in the fine controls. Accurately modulating the brake and gas with the X and square buttons just isn't going to happen, minuet adjustments in a turn are not going to be as smooth or small using a joy stick as they will with a wheel. I know personally, there is nothing I do better with the DS3 than my wheel. Even drifting is easier with a wheel for me now. I can't imagine there is anyone worth their salt on the track that will actually be faster on the track with a controller over the wheel. They might be faster than you, but I don't think they will be faster than themselves given the same amount of experience with both.

REPOSTING

Isn't this common sense if room is available after the pass is complete and void of a potentially heavy braking zone causing a brake check situation?

Darn...gotta keep up with the posts..You guys are fast.

The ability to change direction faster isn't always a good thing. It can unsettle the car and cause a loss of traction and slow you down. Is it easier for a controller user to catch a mistake, yes, they have a smaller input to make and can do it faster but they have already made the mistake to slow them down. The bottom line is don't make the mistake and you won't have to worry about correcting it. If you are driving along as smooth as possible and the guy on the controller is making a mistake and catching it and still beating you, you need to go faster. That's not a personal shot at you or your ability, it's a general statement. If the controller user is screwing up and catching it (aided or not) and is still running faster than a wheel user then the wheel user isn't getting the full potential out of the car.
Ha, you must have watched my driving. To me, I am looking for the realism of racing. Luckily, I can afford a wheel to give me the illusion of really driving. Another dis comin': Using a controller keeps you in the "game" category. How many real race cars use controllers? I gave up "gaming" a long time ago......now I am a "simmer". Sounds more mature to my family and friends who think an old fart like me should not be playing kid games anymore. I turn 60 next year and things are slowing down. Hand to eye co-ordination is slipping, cataracts forming, arthritis in my knuckles and wrists most times force me to race in automatic, which I hate. Controllers or wheels, I guess there will always be controversy but, what can you do. I enjoy snail racing so much and really don't give a poo poo ka ka if I win or not. I'm racing for the respect and friendship of my racing peers. Snail is my first ever online experience and I am loving it. A clean fourth is more satisfying than a dirty win.

How do you like my new Avitar? It's what I look like when I see Connor in my mirror.

Firstly

Firstly, I have to say, do not judge anothers performance by the replay. Your replay firstly, will not show other drivers smoothly, what may look like them jittering about in a turn or even a straight. Your entity takes priority to any other entity while the game records the data. As such, everyone will look kinda jittery. Secondly, your replay I'll most likely not look exactly the same as someone elses, stewards can back that up. Add to that the fact that usually the input being recorded is either full on, full off with a controller, and the issue gets even further convoluted. Kinda like how someone who is lagging can go from being smashed in a wall 5 cars behind you to all of a sudden taking the same space you are in and blasting you off the track.
That said, it's all in the fine controls. Accurately modulating the brake and gas with the X and square buttons just isn't going to happen, minuet adjustments in a turn are not going to be as smooth or small using a joy stick as they will with a wheel. I know personally, there is nothing I do better with the DS3 than my wheel. Even drifting is easier with a wheel for me now. I can't imagine there is anyone worth their salt on the track that will actually be faster on the track with a controller over the wheel. They might be faster than you, but I don't think they will be faster than themselves given the same amount of experience with both.
Ok so i have first hand knowledge of what he is talking about there was a driver in our division last night who I would say was overtly aggressive. blocking, checking or trying to steal the preferred line with out sufficient gap I don't necessarily agree with Mikes rant but I do agree that the driver in question in question was driving iradically.

I meant to put them in thumb nail version so they don't take up so much space if. I can figure it out i would actually like to make them into a photo book where you only see the cover page! Is that better?
Perhaps, when you wish other SNAILs to view these epic picture albums, you could post them up to flikr or imgur or whichever hosting site you like, then post a few of them up with a link to the external site album?

Ok so i have first hand knowledge of what he is talking about there was a driver in our division last night who I would say was overtly aggressive. blocking, checking or trying to steal the preferred line with out sufficient gap I don't necessarily agree with Mikes rant but I do agree that the driver in question in question was driving iradically.
Rant? Rant? Ok, it was a rant.

Back