â—† SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,792 comments
As to social media...

No, this doesn't work on Facebook. I do 'like' GT5 on my Facebook account, but I do keep myself separate from Vol Jbolaz. Vol doesn't have a Facebook account.

Though, I should go make one and park it. Blah.

Facebook also doesn't work because it isn't meant to be a syndicater. It is really just a social vehicle to park ads on. It lacks the proper syndication tools. Anything one could do there would be done better here.

Twitter does work for something like this. It is really just a way to broadcast ideas and events. Twitter is perfect for announcing when people are joining rooms, when they are practicing, we they are putting together events. It is great for small little chatter that would clutter up this thread. No longer do you need to post, "I'm going to D3 right now for practice." By the time most of us see that, it won't matter. Twitter is perfect for that.

Twitter doesn't have any overlap with forum discussion either. That is another reason why it is a good compliment to a forum. It also has syndication tools, so when you post photos or videos, your twitter feed can broadcast that automatically, you don't have to lift a finger.

Twitter does require a certain critical mass to be successful. I did have a twitter account for Eve. It worked fantastically in Eve. While playing, it helped to have that open in another window to keep track of any war chatter. I've thought about reviving it for GT5, but... I don't know that it would reach much of an audience.

xf65e.jpg

The next set of races will be Friday, July 27th, at 10PM EDT.

Theme: Something Completely Different - I have had a few requests to have a night with an open theme, where every car was allowed. I agree that this would be nice, but at the same time, I worried that we would lose one of the points that makes this so fun: The idea that you can race any car, even something you're not used to, and still be competitive. I like that this type of racing can put you out of your comfort zone, and I wanted to keep it that way.

So for this week's theme, I expect you to drive something different, unique, or unusual, either in general, or to you. Drive something strange like a Tank Car or Kubelwagen, or if you usually drive supercars, try a Kei car or a Rally Car. The point is to try something different. Have fun with it and don't think too hard!
Track: Deep Forest Raceway Reverse
Car Restriction: Open (see theme)

IMPORTANT NOTE - PLEASE READ:
If you plan on racing multiple cars, get your laptimes for some of them ahead of time by practicing in an online room (This is important as the physics are different between online and offline). When the racing begins, you will have time to get your laps for one of the cars, but don't expect to have time to get them for several.

The first few races will allow any car within the theme. Because the delay times will be long with such a difference in times from the fastest to slowest car, the races will be short, one or a few laps depending on the length of the track.

After that, we will switch to the lower range of vehicles, so the fastest eligible cars will be disallowed. This will shorten the delay times so the races can be longer. After a few races like that we will switch to the high performance range, disallowing the slowest cars. If there is time, we will go back to allowing all cars and run a few more shorter races until people leave.

At any time during racing, you are free to switch to any other allowed vehicle, so long as you have the lap time handy. If you become the slowest car, however, I will have to recalculate everyone's times again, so keep that in mind.

Also feel free to adjust your times if you think your estimate was off. Just tell me your new time and I will calculate the new delay for you. Don't base this off your first lap of a race, as that will always be slower than your estimates.

For more information look here.

Last edited:
I don't know what has to happen for me to give a 🤬 about Twitter.

This.

I'll see anything posted on the thread one helluva lot sooner than I'll see anything posted? tweeted? put? on Twitter.

Dividing people attention will only make it so half of the people only see half of the info.

Prize A please :)

BMW M3 and Indianapolis road course

This is a fun combo. It could turn out to be a bit of a drifting competition in some of the pins.

A reminder/heads-up: Running outside or inside of the white lines will be considered going off-track. This is particularly important to note on the second to last turn where you go back onto the oval.

Here's a link to the thread with some more details.

The tire choice is the same as the official S.N.A.I.L. regulations:

below 300 PP: Comfort Mediums
300-349 PP: Comfort Softs
350-399 PP: Sports Hards
400-449 PP: Sports Mediums
450-499 PP: Sports Softs
500-549 PP: Racing Hards
550-599 PP: Racing Mediums
600 PP & above: Racing Softs

This is just a guideline however. If you'd like to run stock tires that's fine too. I would avoid putting racing tires on relatively slow car, however.

Tuning is also allowed, but not recommended. If you're going to try out something new you might as well try it the way it was intended.

Which brings me to this question: Do you guys think it makes more sense to use stock tires or S.N.A.I.L. guideline tires on cars? Now that I think about it it might make more sense to recommend stock, if people have them. I'd like to hear some opinions on that.

Last edited:
This is a fun combo. It could turn out to be a bit of a drifting competition in some of the pins.

A reminder/heads-up: Running outside or inside of the white lines will be considered going off-track. This is particularly important to note on the second to last turn where you go back onto the oval.

No kidding - I can't believe how far past those lines I was on my second lap when it hit me... Oh, THOSE lines over there! Wow...

And Dylan, I had assumed that it would be the same, but wanted to be sure. Thanks! Since I won't be here Sunday, I'm lobbying for some time Friday night.

And giving me an unmodified car of the one I wanted to test so I can use it, cheers for that! :)

No problem, Tez. Sorry I had to run - son was digging around in my game room and I didn't want to lose any more models. :nervous:

So do we have the line up for cars/track combo for Sunday

Not yet, but this wait has had me thinking about the selection process for Prize A, Prize B, and Prize C. Historically, we've always allowed the top prize winner to pick which prize he wants, then let the second prize winner pick out of the remaining two prizes, and the finally the third prize winner would get which prize was left.

Since the prizes are always picked in the same order (A, B, then C), I'm thinking we should just mandate the prizes in that order to the division winners with the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd highest scores respectively. I imagine doing this would remove an extra layer of process that isn't needed anyways.

For example, I could update the results post with the winners of each prize instead of having to put "???" as a place holder.

Also, when there is a tie in the elimination vote, we would know immediately who get the tie-breaking vote (the Prize C winner) and not have to wait to see if the 1st or 2nd division winner wants to pick Prize C instead of the usual Prize A and Prize B selections. This immediate tie-breaking vote when then further help move along the process of the Prize A and Prize B selection because those prize winners would know right away which cars and/or tracks they will be replacing.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Not yet, but this wait has had me thinking about the selection process for Prize A, Prize B, and Prize C. Historically, we've always allowed the top prize winner to pick which prize he wants, then let the second prize winner pick out of the remaining two prizes, and the finally the third prize winner would get which prize was left.

Since the prizes are always picked in the same order (A, B, then C), I'm thinking we should just mandate the prizes in that order to the division winners with the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd highest scores respectively. I imagine doing this would remove an extra layer of process that isn't needed anyways.

For example, I could update the results post with the winners of each prize instead of having to put "???" as a place holder.

Also, when there is a tie in the elimination vote, we would know immediately who get the tie-breaking vote (the Prize C winner) and not have to wait to see if the 1st or 2nd division winner wants to pick Prize C instead of the usual Prize A and Prize B selections. This immediate tie-breaking vote when then further help move along the process of the Prize A and Prize B selection because those prize winners would know right away which cars and/or tracks they will be replacing.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Simplify, I'm all for it and I don't think it takes anything away đź‘Ť

Thoughts? Suggestions?
While it is true that prize C is usually given to the third place winner, I can imagine situations where the first place winner might want prize B simply because they like either the track or the car and want to keep it there, and may have an idea of which they want to replace and what to replace it with.

While it is true that prize C is usually given to the third place winner, I can imagine situations where the first place winner might want prize B simply because they like either the track or the car and want to keep it there, and may have an idea of which they want to replace and what to replace it with.

Very true. In fact, that's the exact reason we wanted to give the prize winners a choice. I used to actually root for someone to pick Prize B (or even Prize C for that matter) in front of Prize A just to "mix things up". I would tell the winners to keep in mind that they can guarantee that either the car or the track of the combo with the second most votes would stay on the lineup if they selected Prize B.

However, Prize A has proven to be too appealing to be passed up thus far. So the question then is, do we continue to leave the door open for that very remote possibility, or do we simply mandate the prizes as they are usually picked and get the added simplicity that comes with it?

zer0, I like your suggestion for prize allocation. There are at least 4-5 posts each week asking when the next Sunday Lineup will be ready.

dgaf, rest assured that, if you read the thread, you won't miss the new selections. Asking us to summarize the last few posts for you will only serve to irritate us and alienate you.

My bad..... I have been reading the thread only seen that m3 has been picked and r now waiting on others to pick there prize ?

Yes, we're waiting for Jazz to select his prize. I've sent him a PM earlier today as a friendly reminder that we're all waiting (some of us not so patiently :lol:)

Latest Posts

Back