◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,804 comments
I'm firmly in the "winners should pick what they want" camp. That said, an informed decision is still a worthy goal. So I would like to point something out for those who will end up winning the chance to choose next week's combos. It isn't my goal to criticize. The prize winners chose what they did, and it was their right. I'd just like to throw this out there as food for thought. If your goal is to produce clean racing, you need to consider what makes for a clean pass.

Passes between drivers of similar ability (and close racing is what SNAIL is all about) that aren't making mistakes almost exclusively happen on straights. Whoever can make the best exit of the corner preceding the straight has an advantage for that entire straight. Combos which require nothing other than a lead foot on exit do not reward the better driver with an exit speed advantage he can use to make a clean pass. Furthermore, combos where the only difficult part is wrestling the car in for a landing before each corner reward risky out-braking maneuvers that frankly, we in SNAIL rarely can do well. Some of that is down to latency and lack of visibility. Some of it is down to the fact that we are not all Lewis Hamilton.

I'll be out next week for work, but when I get back, I won't mind if there's some livelier cars in the mix by then ;)

Last edited:
Fun night in D7 despite connection related issues. Happy to see others are saying they also had fun despite all the little issues. For me personally, connection was a better for the last setup, and it allowed me to get full races in with decent finishes. I achieved my goal of not punting anyone, which was my main goal having been traveling all week without any practice.

Replays have been uploaded, although others may be needed due to the connection weirdness. I cannot see one of the other racers in the first race (I pulled off to avoid incident), and there were some connection issues which show Singlepaddy jumping and skipping all over the place in an impossible way to interpret at times in some other races.

We had a great time in the West Coast Division. We had two new racers (@VrapPlus @RevStar-9) and a couple of visitors (@Drgreenthumb977 and @goofytyler). Overall we averaged about 10 racers. @basswerks1 joined us for two races and hopefully will be there for the whole grid next week.

@Neovre got a well earned perfect 100:bowdown:. Come on you fast west coast racers someone needs to join and give him a challenge. @NDRK1088 got 5 podiums on his way to a strong second place. I got third but leading in to the last race @GranStand Bill and I were neck and neck but he got the dreaded black screen on start and was not able to race in the last race. It was nice to see that if someone black screens in GT6 that they are in the pits and not on track to screw up others race.

For me personally I had a great night. I had some practice time this week and my speed was up. A few unforced errors on the reverse grids kept me at the back of a few races but that is racing. I seemed to be either top 3 or bottom 3.

I had a great night guys!

ps. make sure not to do any body rigidity modifications to your cars or any +sizes to your wheels. These will keep you out of the tuning prohibited races.

So long and thanks for all the fish!

Division 7 Race Report:

Today was so great racing, although we lost the room at the start everything worked out in the end, we did have a lag issue with sillypaddy but later on it got resolved. Overall the points took a major swing as Mirado struggled the 2nd half of the race giving me the points lead going into the last race next week but anything can happen as there will be fireworks going off at the end of the month but it will be an awesome battle to the end.

Also can you add me to the West Coast Division cause I'm able to race both and I had a lot of fun racing in the West Coast division

Last edited:
Uploading the WC replays now. However, I missed one of the races at Silverstone so there are only 5 in the zip file :/

I'm firmly in the "winners should pick what they want" camp. That said, an informed decision is still a worthy goal. So I would like to point something out for those who will end up winning the chance to choose next week's combos. It isn't my goal to criticize. The prize winners chose what they did, and it was their right. I'd just like to throw this out there as food for thought. If your goal is to produce clean racing, you need to consider what makes for a clean pass.

Passes between drivers of similar ability (and close racing is what SNAIL is all about) that aren't making mistakes almost exclusively happen on straights. Whoever can make the best exit of the corner preceding the straight has an advantage for that entire straight. Combos which require nothing other than a lead foot on exit do not reward the better driver with an exit speed advantage he can use to make a clean pass. Furthermore, combos where the only difficult part is wrestling the car in for a landing before each corner reward risky out-braking maneuvers that frankly, we in SNAIL rarely can do well. Some of that is down to latency and lack of visibility. Some of it is down to the fact that we are not all Lewis Hamilton.

I'll be out next week for work, but when I get back, I won't mind if there's some livelier cars in the mix by then ;)
Agreed. I may have come across all grumpy and critical earlier but what I was trying to say is what DrKronin said. I had a great night and enjoyed every combo. But some provided good racing and some provided good driving.

Great racing in D2 tonight thank you guys for making that division a permance buffet. Sorry for those who dont like some combo. I hope we will choosing the best combo's in the future for every racers confort. In the west coast division I had a blast of how these racers are great, have a nice week. :cheers::gtpflag::gtplanet: DrG !!!!!

Great racing in D2 tonight thank you guys for making that division a permancedelightfu. Sorry for those who dont like some combo. I hope we will choosing the best combo's in the future for every racers confort. In the west coast division I had a blast of how these racers are great, have a nice week. :cheers::gtpflag::gtplanet: DrG !!!!!

It was fun having you with us, definitely adds some spice with you here and also simply having a greater car count makes things more delightful

D6 Done.

Votes recorded, finishing spots done (thanks, Exo! GLAD to have ya back, man!)

D6 started with 12, and we finished with 12. One driver exited to clear up his connection after Combo 2, and he returned. 11 of 12 drivers had a (preliminary) podium finish by the end of the night! Overall, it's clear that the Team: SNAIL placement gurus are working the numbers to keep it all close.

Every combo had a unique risk and reward - but I really appreciated hearing the comments about those giving a position back, even when there was no contact - a pass that the driver knew was more a dive/cut-off than clean, and the position shouldn't be retained, we recognized the need to keep it as clean as possible.

Sure, we were not perfect, but it was definitely a clear nod to good sportsmanship. Several of us went off track in some combos (myself, rather painfully, in both races of the last combo), but track re-entry looked pretty respectable from my back-to-mid-pack position.
I have to admit that this evening was one of the top racing experiences I've had on GT6. The intensity is absolutely amazing. I wish I would've joined S.NA.I.L a lot sooner now, lol. Thanks to all D6 drivers for making this a night to remember. Can't wait to get back on and race next Sunday with yall.

Maybe one of us can keep up with you next week. :P
You're giving me way too much credit, but thank you. Yall kept up, heck I even got passed quite a few times. There are some really good racers in this division I will say. Good clean racers.

I was pretty much talking about the last races, you just walked away from the rest of us.

If the R32 stays (I do hope it does), I might have to put a mysterious rock in the trunk. :sly:

I was pretty much talking about the last races, you just walked away from the rest of us.

If the R32 stays (I do hope it does), I might have to put a mysterious rock in the trunk. :sly:
I'm really hoping it stays. That's a really, really fun car to drive. Watch the replays and you'll see why. I was laughing like a school girl thru a few of those corners smoking the tyres. It was a blast!!!!

So it appears the connection issues tonight are fair less the last week and previous?

I'm watching guys. Really miss my fellow SNAIL's and I do miss GT. Not so much GT6. However that greatness it is capable of I do.

Here in MD I think they require a cage once you run 11.50s or faster.
Here in NJ it is 11.99999 so I've seen a few funny things at the track. One was a 2012 Nissan GT-R with slicks in the back (no idea why, maybe he couldn't afford 4?) who was running 12.2s at 65mph. The car was so quick he would have to slam on the brakes 3/4 of the way down the 1/4 mile so that he didn't break into the 11s and get kicked out. Another one I saw was a C6 Z06 running 5 second 60ft times because he would baby it off the line and then run 12.5s by the end of the 1/4. He didn't want rubber on his quarter panels.

Awesome Camaro RS @qwietstorm. I can't stand import drag racing (unless they are racing in reverse) but props to @dgaf95integra and anyone who does competetive auto racing of any kind.

@OwensRacing what motor was in your '91 Z28? TBI or TPI?

I'm really hoping it stays. That's a really, really fun car to drive. Watch the replays and you'll see why. I was laughing like a school girl thru a few of those corners smoking the tyres. It was a blast!!!!

I know atleast in D8 that combo 1 was nailed pretty well and I'm hoping it's the same across the bored

Here are a few of my favorite pictures from last nights race (Div 6)....

upload_2014-2-24_6-4-30.png

Lighter up boys!!!

upload_2014-2-24_6-2-38.png

This just looked too good going down the straight not to take a pic.....

upload_2014-2-24_6-3-45.png

Getting the 2-wheel on.......

upload_2014-2-24_6-5-6.png

Burnin' those tires.......

upload_2014-2-24_6-6-6.png

Just another good pic I had to take.

I like how you can tell the other cars seem to slowly get farther and farther back from you as the race goes on.... just like last night! ;)

@OwensRacing what motor was in your '91 Z28? TBI or TPI?

5.7 TPI (L98) :)

NHRASanctioned Track - 11.49 requires Roll Bar (8 point IIRC)

IHRA Sanctioned Track - 11.99 requires Roll Bar

I race at a track that allows No Clocks. I get a slip but my times are not shown on the boards. Which means my goal for 10.99 in the Evo will not result in getting kicked out of the track.

L98... mmm, torque. I had a 3k rpm stall on mine and it was unbeatable stoplight to stoplight.

That's good that you don't need to worry about your times in the Evo.

G
We had a great time in the West Coast Division. We had two new racers (@VrapPlus @RevStar-9) and a couple of visitors (@Drgreenthumb977 and @goofytyler). Overall we averaged about 10 racers. @basswerks1 joined us for two races and hopefully will be there for the whole grid next week.

@Neovre got a well earned perfect 100:bowdown:. Come on you fast west coast racers someone needs to join and give him a challenge. @NDRK1088 got 5 podiums on his way to a strong second place. I got third but leading in to the last race @GranStand Bill and I were neck and neck but he got the dreaded black screen on start and was not able to race in the last race. It was nice to see that if someone black screens in GT6 that they are in the pits and not on track to screw up others race.

For me personally I had a great night. I had some practice time this week and my speed was up. A few unforced errors on the reverse grids kept me at the back of a few races but that is racing. I seemed to be either top 3 or bottom 3.

I had a great night guys!

ps. make sure not to do any body rigidity modifications to your cars or any +sizes to your wheels. These will keep you out of the tuning prohibited races.

So long and thanks for all the fish!
Guys I need to switch. To another time zone.
Please at the bottom division...
The races at the west coast start too late for me personally.
Great bunch of ppl there tho. @jobyone

So it appears the connection issues tonight are fair less the last week and previous?

I'm watching guys. Really miss my fellow SNAIL's and I do miss GT. Not so much GT6. However that greatness it is capable of I do.
We're missin you in D1 Owens.

It really is a shame that GT6 has so many glitches. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I would've rather had the game be delayed a little bit so that PD could fix a lot of these glitches before they release it.

Latest Posts

Back