◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,801 comments
The front one is a McLaren driven by Bruce McLaren. #22 in the back is a Ferrari driven by Chris Amon. #11 is Pedro Rodriguez and #14 is Piers Courage, both in BRMs. 1968.
Mclaren in Mclaren correct. Pedro and Piers correct. Ferrari correct but driver wrong. Actually it was Michael Turner's little way of keeping people honest. The number on the car should be 23...the yellow stripes on the 312 and the Blue Helmet are not Chris Amon's (his helmet is White with Red ,White and Blue accents above the visor) and the yellow stripes are Belgian national markings.

@Nail-27 I think I switched up the drivers... I edited my original post.

Also, that thing below the leaders nose is a scarf, or an early balaclava... Needed those suckers wrapped around ya with an open faced helmet! I do believe I was born at the wrong time in history, wish I could have seen this stuff first hand!
Close but no..this item was an affectation of the driver who has been correctly ID'd as Bruce Mclaren at Spa F1 in '68

But you are correct ...many drivers...Graham Hill comes to mind...wrapped a cloth...or a strip of hemmed nomex around their face and then placed their goggles down to hold the cloth up and tucked the bottom into their suits which had JUST become nomex instead of allegedly fire resistant cotton.

Last edited:
@Troggy Other Banner Pics!

TokyoR246_zpsbcf4fa91.jpg

TokyoR246_1_zpsc73d0e19.jpg

TokyoR246_2_zps271aceb6.jpg

TokyoR246_3_zps5c5a5ffa.jpg

TokyoR246_4_zpse7934545.jpg

Mclaren in Mclaren correct. Pedro and Piers correct. Ferrari correct but driver wrong. Actually it was Michael Turner's little way of keeping people honest. The number on the car should be 23...the yellow stripes on the 312 and the Blue Helmet are not Chris Amon's (his helmet is White with Red ,White and Blue accents above the visor) and the yellow stripes are Belgian national markings.

Only seeing this now. Amon's teammate was the legendary Jacky Ickx at his home GP. I was lucky to see him in action in 1984 at Mosport in the iconic Rothmans Porsche 956.

q8ai.jpg

edfz.jpg

I think it was McLarens 1st F1 win on his own car so the painting probably hangs in Ron Dennis' office. Is the piece of aluminium a mini wing?

Exactly. They rarely make mistakes...and when they do, if it is early enough in the race they will still catch me.

I guess I'll have to see the lap time stats for this month. I'm sure you are right that I would be at the upper end of D2, especially if you promote other drivers. I doubt I'd be running circles around them though...unless a combo stays around long enough for me to master it (ie Spa/Megane). I don't care about winning...I just want to be in a division where I get the opportunity to be on offense and pass someone that isn't mowing the grass instead of playing defense and/or racing alone all night.
@chuyler1 seems to me your must win!
I don't think that's what SNAIL is all about.
You will win but for now you must learn the driving habits and abilities of your opponents as well of your own, it will come to you.
Don't leave because your not the fastest, best unbeatable driver, chances are you may get there and some guy like yourself will be coming up to knock you off that podium!

Only seeing this now. Amon's teammate was the legendary Jacky Ickx at his home GP. I was lucky to see him in action in 1984 at Mosport in the iconic Rothmans Porsche 956.

q8ai.jpg

edfz.jpg

I think it was McLarens 1st F1 win on his own car so the painting probably hangs in Ron Dennis' office. Is the piece of aluminium a mini wing?

CORRECT...lets see...gotta look at the original post. 1968 Spa-Francorchamps, Bruce Mclaren leads Belgian Grand Prix in the car of his own design, the Mclaren M7A/Cosworth Ford V8, followed by Pedro Rodriguez in his BRM/BRM V-12 and Piers Courage in his BRM/BRM V-12 and Jacky Ickxx in his Ferrari 312 V-12(with the wrong number but the Blue Helmet and the yellow Belgian National Color stripes on his 312 seal the deal). Michael Turner did the painting for Bruce because it was in fact his first win in his car and it did hang in McLaren International's foyer (at least it did in 1977 when I took the tour). Now where is this corner and what it the white thing under his nose.

Oh yeah, I was there, and toured the garages (gas stations along the track) on Thursday, Fri, and Sat nights. The first Ferrari wing (sort of a tea tray bolted to the roll bar) was on Amon's car. By the end of the weekend it had evolved into a proper wing OVER the engine held in place by two scrawny little pieces of chromed tubing and two even scrawnier supports wing nutted to either side of the roll bar. Mclaren, not to be out done, fabricated a mini aluminum pooper scooper ...that's what his mechanic... a very young Tyler Alexander... later head mechanic and team principle.. I think ... called it , and riveted it to the engine cover, another attempt at the infantile aerodynamic movement.

White thing and which turn...no numbers...proper turns have proper historic names.
Gotta go practice at Bathurst....

Jacky Ickxx was 23 years old and was quite "beautiful" more so than his daughter Vanina who will stop traffic most anywhere...what happened to her racing??

Last edited:
StewardAnnouncments.png

To all Division 7 drivers. The Stewards are in need of the replays for your division. If you have them, please upload them ASAP. If you don't have access to the usual replay folder please try here or here, and post in the main thread here that you've done so.

Thank you.

CORRECT...lets see...gotta look at the original post. 1968 Spa-Francorchamps, Bruce Mclaren leads Belgian Grand Prix in the car of his own design, the Mclaren M7A/Cosworth Ford V8, followed by Pedro Rodriguez in his BRM/BRM V-12 and Piers Courage in his BRM/BRM V-12 and Jacky Ickxx in his Ferrari 312 V-12(with the wrong number but the Blue Helmet and the yellow Belgian National Color stripes on his 312 seal the deal). Michael Turner did the painting for Bruce because it was in fact his first win in his car and it did hang in McLaren International's foyer (at least it did in 1977 when I took the tour). Now where is this corner and what it the white thing under his nose.

Oh yeah, I was there, and toured the garages (gas stations along the track) on Thursday, Fri, and Sat nights. The first Ferrari wing (sort of a tea tray bolted to the roll bar) was on Amon's car. By the end of the weekend it had evolved into a proper wing OVER the engine held in place by two scrawny little pieces of chromed tubing and two even scrawnier supports wing nutted to either side of the roll bar. Mclaren, not to be out done, fabricated a mini aluminum pooper scooper ...that's what his mechanic... a very young Tyler Alexander... later head mechanic and team principle.. I think ... called it , and riveted it to the engine cover, another attempt at the infantile aerodynamic movement.

White thing and which turn...no numbers...proper turns have proper historic names.
Gotta go practice at Bathurst....

You were there! Now that's awesome. I just love the cars of that era with the unspoilt cars of '67 being my favourite. I see that I celebrated my 7th birthday 10 days after that race. :)

I don't have the answer for what Bruce was wearing but I will take a guess that the corner is Eau Rouge. If not it must be Stavelot.

Too much run in time at Grand Valley. Six minutes leaves us about 20 seconds short of getting a third lap in IIRC.

He was registered in time for this Sunday and was added to the main results sheet. Scorekeeper needed to add him to the weekly sheet.

My bad

As soon as I get a confirmation that this looks right I will add it.

Thanks @jobyone , didn't know I had to add him in or even when he joined the league. =p

You were there! Now that's awesome. I just love the cars of that era with the unspoilt cars of '67 being my favourite. I see that I celebrated my 7th birthday 10 days after that race. :)

I don't have the answer for what Bruce was wearing but I will take a guess that the corner is Eau Rouge. If not it must be Stavelot.
Stavelot. Eau Rouge led to Malmedy then the Masta Straight which led to Stavelot then a fierce full chat blast up the hill through the pines to La Source which was where the road to Spa led back to town if you went straight. The Stone Hotel de La Source which in GT6 is the stone building on the left at La Source had a patio with cafe tables where we sat sipping wine and eating cheese absoloutely deafened by the mechanical scream of the 3.0 L V-8s and V-12s. Later sanityrequired napkins for ears LOL. Bruce's accessory is all that's left.

Anyone tried the data logger? it is very useful, I found out I lost .23 or so seconds over a 1:03.002 in one corner from braking too early, immediately gained more than a tenth back. found all the pieces to go faster, just need to put them together now..

Here is the last clue...here is Bruce McLaren rounding La Source on his last lap...in the background 2d sitting on left behind guy with glasses, circled in pen, is one each SNAIL ,with two Canucks I had teamed up with..I provided transport in my rented VW ...they provided live continuous entertainment.:dopey:

Note the itty bitty tabs on the nose and the "nostrils/vents" to allow air from rads to provide better cooling flow and God Forbid....downforce...a concept that was going viral in F1 in 1968, the year of the winged Chaparral . McLaren was truly a great innovator and a superb driver. I dare you to get this close to an F! car now....

So what is that thing below his nose....(no not his mouth..)

Image from AUTOCOURSE 1968-1969, page 98 .
spa68mclaren la sourcec.jpg

I dare you to get this close to an F! car now....

So what is that thing below his nose....(no not his mouth..)

You probably wouldn't want to be that close to the track a La Source now with Grosjean in the pack! :nervous:

I don't think anyone is going to get it at this stage so go on, tell us....What's below his nose?

Practice room open
1472-6118-3658-4757-7644
Best lap: 2:09.093 but still I got a little time to make maybe mid 8's
D1 maybe 6's
For Tokyo lobby closed ill open back up in 1 hour
I ended up with 2:08.603 can maybe get 8 flat

Last edited:
I would check that lap time...I'm no snalien (D4), but I managed a 1:14.xxx at eiger last night...I did the exact track and using racing mediums per the 2nd post. I refuse to believe I'm just that much faster so what's wrong?

For those wondering about qualifying session times;

When @Skills sends out the Sunday Divisional announcements the following quote is included,

This is the basis for the calculations that determine the length of the qualifying session and is shown in the director's doc in this area.
View attachment 149419
Round 1 is at the top and round 3 is at the bottom of that little section. 11 minutes, 660 seconds, which is the middle of our target of 10-12 minute races, is divided by a median lap time and provides the number of race laps, which is put in parenthesis beside the track header for each round. That number is stripped out for cells E2, 3 & 4. In Cells F2, 3 & 4 the Qualifying laps algorithm, as quoted above, is factored. Cells G2, 3 & 4 then apply this formula, =ROUND(((700/E2)*F2+30)/60) to determine how many minutes the qualifying session should be.

For instance, Worst_driver posted he ran 1:18.xxx at Eiger. Since he's an alien, I added 2 seconds to get a median lap time. So 660/80=8.25. As it would be rounded to 8 using normal rounding rules, 8 laps is what will be ran at Eiger. 8 race laps gets 4 qualifying laps, as per that above mentioned algorithm. 700 seconds is used because we tried it at 660 and the minutes returned was bringing us up short. The +30 is there to account for run up to the start/finish line time. In this case, if 80 seconds is the median lap time, 5.3 minutes is required to get in 4 laps at that speed. The formula fudges in a total of 70 more seconds (+30 and 40 more seconds over the total race time target of 660) for late starts and/or minor mistakes and in the case of next Sunday's Round 2, almost enough for another lap. I will have to admit, in this case, rounding takes almost all of that +30 run up time away. There should still be a bit over 40 seconds to spare however, to get in your 4 laps of qualifying.

For those who want something to shoot for, if your average lap time for those 4 laps goes even .001 over 1:22.500, you're probably not going to get your 4 laps.

So, who's got a time for the Toyota at Tokyo?

The new lineup for next Sunday states that the BMW at Eiger is to have "Race Medium tires" - probably a cut-n-paste error?

stoner_791927_answer_8_xlarge.jpeg

edit: not sure if this is a worthy TOTP or whatever it's called.
It's funny that you should mention this, because I've been thinking that a more appropriate (and convenient) acronym should just be TOPP (Top Of Page Post). 👍

That being said, @dabneyd and I have plans to lessen the need for TOPP's (or eliminate the need altogether). Especially when all it takes is a mod deleting one single post to turn a TOPP into a BOPP. :banghead:

EDIT:
Good call out @TEX36. I've just corrected it. :)

Btw, can you tell me if you got a GTP notification from me tagging you in this post? I've always wanted to confirm that editing a post with a tag generated a notification to the person tagged in the edit.

Just did a 1'18.5XX with the BMW 2002 at eiger. Watch out, she loves to lift-off oversteer.

No kidding. Both ends of the tunnel will be interesting, particularly if people try to push it going into the left-hander at the entrance - if you happen to even brush the outer edge of the track on full throttle, that open diff dumps all your power into the dirt, and the resulting "lift-off" on the other tire puts you into a hard spin that's particularly difficult to recover from because of the short wheelbase. It's gonna be a challenge just to complete the race on Sunday without a crash/spin, and passing...well let's just say I wouldn't try it near the tunnel.

The new lineup for next Sunday states that the BMW at Eiger is to have "Race Medium tires" - probably a cut-n-paste error?
Ah... that explains it. Worst_Driver just realized that the tires were wrong and used the correct ones while my dumb*ss didn't think to question it.

I would check that lap time...I'm no snalien (D4), but I managed a 1:14.xxx at eiger last night...I did the exact track and using racing mediums per the 2nd post. I refuse to believe I'm just that much faster so what's wrong?

No offence, but I would check if you had the right tyres or were you on the forward rather than the reverse track? I'm not the quickest or slowest myself but I ran a few laps (very few) and the best I managed was a 1:19.9.

Edit: Ninja'd by your own response.

I was on SH btw

RoC_banner.png

Race of Champions

April Season
May 2, 2014
9:30 pm ET

In an effort to assist @Wolfsatz set up this months Race of Champions, here is a list by division of the ranked drivers. PLEASE CONFIRM IF YOU CAN OR CAN'T ATTEND

Format:
3 x 20 minute races
Race 1-
Starting position determined by division in reverse order (D8, D7, D6, etc). WC will be placed in appropriate starting position based on ability.
Race 2 & 3- Reverse grid

15 races + 1 host (TBD)

Division 1
1- @martin20az (3)
2- @CarCzar (1)

Division 2
3- @RobbiefromBC (3)
4- @ParkerMO125 (3)
alt9- @serge19

Division 3
5- @dabneyd (3)
6- @Dragonwhisky (3)

Division 4
7- @hooker4
8- @Unleashed (3)
alt6- @FloydC3 (maybe)

Division 5
9- @Munch2487
10 - @TEX36 (7)
alt4- @Grandpa Money

Division 6
11- @Mirado_7 (3)
12- @ExoSphere64

Division 7
13- @aliengamer25 (1)
alt3- @Nail-27 [eligible via @RobbiefromBC unable to attend]

Division 8
14- @dcallnight (3)
alt1- @wvhellbilly [eligible via @hooker4 unable to attend]

West Coast
15- @jpe138083
alt2- @Neovre [eligible via @jpe138083 unable to attend]

Confirmed drivers will be in bold
Scratched drivers will be crossed out

Alternate ranking determined by:
1- D7/D8/WC in order of points scored for the month (since only 1 entrant is guaranteed).
2- D1-D6 3rd place finishers in order of points scored for the month
3- D7/D8/WC 3rd place finishers in order of points scored for the month

COMBO Selection - The VOTES ARE IN.

The combo's are set:

1- 2000 Mazda Roadster Touring Car at Tsukuba Circuit (3 weeks)
--- 471 PP / 214 HP / RH tires

2- Nissan GT-R NISMO GT3 Base Model '13 at Indy Road Course (2 weeks)
--- 617 PP / 621 HP / RM tires

3- Lamborghini NOMAD Diablo GT-1 '00 at Silverstone Grand Prix Circuit (vote selected)
--- 600 PP / 621 HP / RH tires

VOTING IS COMPLETE
All non-alternates, please vote for one of the following combo's to complete the night. Each combo only raced once.

1- BMW M3 CSL '03 at Apricot Hill Raceway - Forward - 2 vote
---(this one was also raced on 3/30 - it makes sense this should be the top choice, but it's up to the voters)---

2- Lancia Delta HF Integrale Evoluzione '91 at Deep Forest (one and done)

3- Lamborghini NOMAD Diablo GT-1 '00 at Silverstone Grand Prix Circuit (one and done) - 8 votes

4- Abarth 500 '09 at Apricot Hill Raceway - Forward

5- Toyota 2000GT '67 at Apricot Hill Raceway - Forward

6- Toyota 2000GT '67 at Circuito di Roma

7- Subaru BRZ GT300 Base Model '12 at Grand Valley Speedway (Forward) - 1 vote
---ACTIVE COMBO---

I'm sure I've missed something, so please ask if you have any questions!

I will continue update this post. Bookmark it to find it easily.

If I "Like" your post, I have recorded your decision and vote.

Last edited:
Race of Champions
April Season
May 2, 2014

In an effort to assist @Wolfsatz set up this months Race of Champions, here is a list by division of the ranked drivers. PLEASE CONFIRM IF YOU CAN OR CAN'T ATTEND

Format:
3 x 20 minute races
Race 1-
Starting position determined by division in reverse order (D8, D7, D6, etc). WC will be placed in appropriate starting position based on ability.
Race 2 & 3- Reverse grid (or was it just done by reverse division only?)

15 races + 1 host (TBD)

Division 1
1- @martin20az
2- @CarCzar
alt7- @fizzer

Division 2
3- @RobbiefromBC
4- @parkermo1
alt9- @serge19

Division 3
5- @dabneyd
6- @Dragonwhisky
alt5- @JoeW

Division 4
7- @hooker4
8- @Unleashed
alt6- @FloydC3

Division 5
9- @Munch2487
10 - @TEX36
alt4- @Grandpa Money

Division 6
11- @Mirado_7
12- @ExoSphere64
alt8- @rob1nh000d

Division 7
13- @aliengamer25
alt3- @Nail-27

Division 8
14- @dcallnight
alt1- @wvhellbilly
alt10- @Sharkb8ii

West Coast
15- @jpe138083
alt2- @Neovre

1- D7/D8/WC in order of points scored for the month (since only 1 entrant is guaranteed).

COMBO Selection

2 of 3 combo's are set:

All non-alternates, please vote for one of the following combo's to complete the night. Each combo only raced once.

1- BMW M3 CSL '03 at Apricot Hill Raceway - Forward
---(this one was also raced on 3/30 - it makes sense this should be the top choice, but it's up to the voters)---

3- Lamborghini NOMAD Diablo GT-1 '00 at Silverstone Grand Prix Circuit (one and done)

7- Subaru BRZ GT300 Base Model '12 at Grand Valley Speedway (Forward)
---ACTIVE COMBO---

I'll be there, and I vote 3 (the Lambo).

Race of Champions
April Season
May 2, 2014

Format:
3 x 20 minute races
Race 1-
Race 2 & 3- Reverse grid (or was it just done by reverse division only?)

15 races + 1 host (TBD)

Division 1
1- @martin20az
2- @CarCzar
alt7- @fizzer

Division 2
3- @RobbiefromBC
4- @parkermo1
alt9- @serge19

Division 3
5- @dabneyd
6- @Dragonwhisky
alt5- @JoeW

Division 4
7- @hooker4
8- @Unleashed
alt6- @FloydC3

Division 5
9- @Munch2487
10 - @TEX36
alt4- @Grandpa Money

Division 6
11- @Mirado_7 (3)
12- @ExoSphere64
alt8- @rob1nh000d

Division 7
13- @aliengamer25
alt3- @Nail-27

Division 8
14- @dcallnight
alt1- @wvhellbilly
alt10- @Sharkb8ii

West Coast
15- @jpe138083
alt2- @Neovre

COMBO Selection

2 of 3 combo's are set:

1- BMW M3 CSL '03 at Apricot Hill Raceway - Forward

3- Lamborghini NOMAD Diablo GT-1 '00 at Silverstone Grand Prix Circuit (one and done) - 1 vote

7- Subaru BRZ GT300 Base Model '12 at Grand Valley Speedway (Forward)
---ACTIVE COMBO---

I will continue update this post. Bookmark it to find it easily.

I'll be there. I also vote for the Lambo.

Back