◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,793 comments
I'm already voting off Round 1. I like the other two too much. The track is great for small cars but the RX-7 is too lose

I thoroughly enjoy seeing and reading posts about fellow members' connection to motorsports, from grassroots to backyard built race cars, to hanging with the big boys, like your father did. These sorts of posts make me wish I had an opportunity to get involved more seriously at a younger age. I believe in "it's never too late", so don't read that as if I've given up. My passion drives me and it spikes into the red when I read these posts.

Thanks for sharing this Mark!
I remember reading the original article. I had just finished Usaf UPT ( undergraduate pilot training..flight school) and rewarded myself with my last trip to the 'Glen where Emerson Who won the GP in the new Lotus 72. Brock was a GREAT Writer and a passable driver at the Gentleman Driver level. Of course I knew your dad was a Pro Sports Car driver but that was all.
If that race was the Glen Region Double..a regional and a national on following days....I had entered in FF for the regional and then discovered that the guy "holding" my Lotus 51 FF had, as the brits say, Done A Burton....skipped town....with my car. Thus no race for me.

Sorta great memories...still looking for the car.

A few pics from yesterday Pre-practice @ Mount Panorama. This is gonna be exciting but as you will see mayhem might happen. Oh Yeah! a little dose of satisfaction for dgafaboutany1420. Hes finally in a picture!

Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit.jpg
Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_1.jpg
Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_2.jpg
Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_5.jpg
Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_6.jpg
Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_7.jpg
Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_8.jpg
Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_9.jpg

I don't understand you people any racing series I've ever watched where a car is snappy loose the driver wants it fixed and fixed now!
Lol. In the game , I am one who likes the cars to be on lower grip tires but you're right , outside of drift racing maybe I've never heard of a real racer saying "tires are too sticky"
:cheers:

@Die_Birdy_Die ,It's about learning the limitations of the vehicle you are driving and managing it at that limit.If you learn how to drive a car that is stock,imagine what you do with a car that is designed for the purpose and is adjustable.

@Die_Birdy_Die ,It's about learning the limitations of the vehicle you are driving and managing it at that limit.If you learn how to drive a car that is stock,imagine what you do with a car that is designed for the purpose and is adjustable.
Lol I'll drive what ever they put in front of me. The RX-7 is defiantly not one of my favorites, I find it unpredictable and just snappy loose. Which I don't find as a challenge just annoying! But as user said "Lol. In the game , I am one who likes the cars to be on lower grip tires but you're right , outside of drift racing maybe I've never heard of a real racer saying "tires are too sticky"

The reason some people ask for less grip is because it allows these people to showcase their car control.

If you ran a Miata with RS tires then there is no chance of spinning the car out and the race becomes a log jam of people where the only skill necessary to gain an advantage is the ability to run flawless lines and clip apexes perfectly. You are basically just mashing the throttle, mashing the brake, mashing throttle...rinse and repeat. Very difficult to pass under these conditions. I remember quite unfondly the Miata TC on RH tires at Tsukuba...ugh.

If you run a Miata with CH tires then there are endless way to gain an advantage over an opponent. Throttle control under various circumstances now plays a significant role in the outcome. Many more ways to make a mistake. Corner speed limits, trail braking and on and on.

Finding a balance for the entire league is troublesome. When you have varying skill levels on the track at the same time, the highly skilled drivers want more factors in the equation with which to showcase their skills and separate from the field.

The reason some people ask for less grip is because it allows these people to showcase their car control.

If you ran a Miata with RS tires then there is no chance of spinning the car out and the race becomes a log jam of people where the only skill necessary to gain an advantage is the ability to run flawless lines and clip apexes perfectly. You are basically just mashing the throttle, mashing the brake, mashing throttle...rinse and repeat. Very difficult to pass under these conditions. I remember quite unfondly the Miata TC on RH tires at Tsukuba...ugh.

If you run a Miata with CH tires then there are endless way to gain an advantage over an opponent. Throttle control under various circumstances now plays a significant role in the outcome. Many more ways to make a mistake. Corner speed limits, trail braking and on and on.

Finding a balance for the entire league is troublesome. When you have varying skill levels on the track at the same time, the highly skilled drivers want more factors in the equation with which to showcase their skills and separate from the field.

I totally agree with your comment. However, sometimes you find really awesome combos (IMO) like the Monza/GT40 and it was a 1 and done; even some of the experts disliked it much. I thought Monza perfectly fit the needs of the GT40 and the individual driving characteristics played a direct role on the outcome. First time I go from the back to a podium finish in D3.

I also like the RX-7 at Tsukuba; both the car and track complement each other. Throttle control and patience is key in obtaining good results.

Inversely, I truly dislike the 430 Scuderia at Cape Ring Inside; that track is not a good fit IMO for that car. That pony has very long legs and needs ample track to really get to race.

An early #TBT back to 1969/1970. My dad teamed up with Brock Yates, Sr to test out the Ford Boss 302 Mustang street car on the race track, specifically Watkins Glen. The following article was written by Brock Yates, Sr and published in the January 1970 issue of Car and Driver.

As the article states, my dad was collected in an incident in the first race. That caused him to start from the rear of the field the next day, moving all the way up to 2nd place in his class.

Message me your email address if you want a copy of the article.

View attachment 345856 View attachment 345859

My dad is in the drivers seat in the upper left picture with Brock Yates, Sr looking in.

View attachment 345860 View attachment 345861 View attachment 345862 View attachment 345863

My dad is in the white racing suit in the middle of the photo. Brock Yates, Sr is behind the tow truck with the black hat. My older brothers and Brock, Jr are there as well.

View attachment 345864

The #13 car was a Shelby Mustang that started up front and my dad had an intense battle with him for a couple laps.

View attachment 345865

Great piece of history @CoachMK21 . enjoyed reading this post.

Lol. In the game , I am one who likes the cars to be on lower grip tires but you're right , outside of drift racing maybe I've never heard of a real racer saying "tires are too sticky"

To be fair, real racers can tune their cars in consideration of the grip properties of the tires they run. We don't have that luxury so sometimes we're not comparing apples to apples.

Contrary to what a lot of people think about drifting in real life, they use high grip tires and have restrictions on power to tire size. Oh and the first round of Formula D is this weekend at long beach please check out the livestream.

#TBT

Pole Position was my first but Super Monaco GP was my favorite as a teenager. There was an Arcade/Go Carting track a few miles up the road " Olympic Park" that I spent countless hours and quarters on after doing some "expensive" racing in the go carts. One of the really cool features of the game was that it had what could qualify as a "butt kicker" under the seat and the seat swayed when you went through a corner! lol

1086148645.jpg

To be fair, real racers can tune their cars in consideration of the grip properties of the tires they run. We don't have that luxury so sometimes we're not comparing apples to apples.

That's not spec racing now though, is it? You need to understand that in spec racing, you race what you have, and you adjust your approach to make the best of it.

That's not spec racing now though, is it? You need to understand that in spec racing, you race what you have, and you adjust your approach to make the best of it.

Jeez. Thanks for helping me out there. I didn't realize... :rolleyes:

My point was:

One cannot reasonably compare "our" complaints about grip with "their" complaints about grip. We're playing a different game, as you've graciously pointed out.

Back