1 minute penalty in sport races

• Thread starter Sparky964
  • 20 comments
United States
United States
Can someone please explain why I get a 1 minute penalty after a race in sport mode? The only thing I can find is something to do with changing tires during a race. But it makes no sense on the race details especially when the tires required are only Race Hard, Wet, and Intermediate.

Can someone please explain why I get a 1 minute penalty after a race in sport mode? The only thing I can find is something to do with changing tires during a race. But it makes no sense on the race details especially when the tires required are only Race Hard, Wet, and Intermediate.
Could have been a pit stop requirement. That was the case for last Manu. round, if that's what this may be referring to.

You will get a one-minute post-race penalty if you do not use all of the required tyres where there are different grades required or do not make a mandatory pit stop where one is required.

In what race did you experience this?

The recent manufacturers cup on the 2nd. I used hard tires and I don't remember seeing anyone pit, but I could be wrong since it wasn't on my radar.

The recent manufacturers cup on the 2nd. I used hard tires and I don't remember seeing anyone pit, but I could be wrong since it wasn't on my radar.
Round 2: 2 March 2023
 - Car Used: Garage Car
 - Category: Gr.4
 - BoP/Tuning Prohibited: On (Mid-speed)
 - Car Settings: Partially Allowed [Brake Balance]
 - Track: Autodrome Lago Maggiore - West End
 - Useable Tyre & Types: Racing: Hard
 - Required Tyre Type Change: None
 - Minimum No. of Pit Stops: 1
 - Qualifying Time: 5 Minutes
 - Fuel Consumption Rate (Qualifier): Off | Tyre Wear Rate (Qualifier): 1x
 - No. of Laps: 20
 - Fuel Consumption Rate (Final): 1x | Tyre Wear Rate (Final): 1x
Mandatory pit stop. That'll be what the penalty is for!

I guess I'm just confused because it doesn't explicitly say it's required to pit or use certain tires. To me it just says only what tires are allowed to use. For instance, why I would need to change tires if I have plenty of tred or use wets if it's not raining?
BTW for clarification, it's on GT7 for

Could have been a pit stop requirement. That was the case for last Manu. round, if that's what this may be referring to.
Thanks, I'll try to figure out how to spot a pitstop requirement

I guess I'm just confused because it doesn't explicitly say it's required to pit or use certain tires.
I'll try to figure out how to spot a pitstop requirement
It absolutely does, on both the game's official website (as I quoted above) so that you know in advance and in game on the Race Information screen.

That race had a mandatory pitstop, as indicated.

why I would need to change tires if I have plenty of tred
You wouldn't, unless you are required to. Mandatory use of two different tyre grades is incredibly common in motorsports, up and down the ladder. Mandatory pit stops without tyre change/refuel/driver change are more common in virtual racing; the "one-litre" stop (pitting and taking on one litre of fuel, whether you need it or not) is routine in GT World Challenge esports events.

In this case you missed a mandatory pit stop; you wouldn't need to either change tyres or refuel, just enter the pits, stop in the box, and exit again.

Last edited:
Mandatory pit stop. That'll be what the penalty is for!
Okay, thank you for showing me what I missed. I've been searching YouTube stuff and everyone is talking about the tires. That was a big help

It absolutely does, on both the game's official website (as I quoted above) so that you know in advance and in game on the Race Information screen.

You wouldn't, unless you are required to. Mandatory use of two different tyre grades is incredibly common in motorsports, up and down the ladder. Mandatory pit stops without tyre change/refuel/driver change are more common in virtual racing; the "one-litre" stop (pitting and taking on one litre of fuel, whether you need it or not) is routine in GT World Challenge esports events.

In this case you missed a mandatory pit stop; you wouldn't need to either change tyres or refuel, just enter the pits, stop in the box, and exit again.
Okay, thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm pretty new, so still learning

no pit stop requirement...corrwect tyre type...no where says change type of tyre...and still gstting 1 min....
cannot understand

You have to scroll completely down the requirements of the race information, above the "green" enter race button

It is SO not clear in-game. Boy oh boy, have you searched 'minute penalty gt7' perchance? See how many people are confused in the many forums? I see 3 sets of tyres shown for my last race, I've no idea if im supposed to use all (wet?!?) or not. Others definitely didn't pit twice, I dont even think they did so once!

Last edited:
Boy oh boy, have you searched 'minute penalty gt7' perchance? See how many people are confused in the many forums?
No need - there were so many people confused on this forum back in GT Sport that I created a pinned thread in that subforum specifically for this:

It is SO not clear in-game ... I see 3 sets of tyres shown for my last race, I've no idea if im supposed to use all (wet?!?) or not. Others definitely didn't pit twice, I dont even think they did so once!
Which race is "my last race"? If it's the Nations Cup R3 race at Sardegna, here's the official website - which has recently changed to make it even more clear:

1709725287742.png

As you can see, it tells you that Racing Medium and Racing Soft are the required tyres, while those and the two wet grades are also available. Wet tyre types are, for some reason, always available - but a race which features rain will never have mandatory slicks.

This information is replicated in the race overview screen in the game before you enter it, and is also show on the screen in the lobby.

The one thing it doesn't actually tell you is what the consequence of not using the required tyres is, although I think most people could reasonably assume that it's nothing good. Personally I think it should be a disqualification rather than just a one-minute penalty.

Just to add - that screen also shows if pit stops are mandatory, whether changing tyres or not, as in the current Daily Race C.

This information is replicated in the race overview screen in the game before you enter it, and is also show on the screen in the lobby.
This is the important part, actually.
1709727845453.png

Though from that picture (from some past event), was is possible to only run on RH without a stop, or did this mean stopping and changing to RH was mandatory even when starting on RH?
I mean I would use RM for as long as possible anyway, except for the rare case that they would wear out just short of a pitless run.

This is the important part, actually.
I'm not sure what you're showing me or why it's actually the important part rather than the things arrowed in my post.

I'm not sure what you're showing me or why it's actually the important part rather than the things arrowed in my post.
I simply wanted to point out that the information is available in the game without requiring the player to visit a website to get this kind of information - just as you have mentioned by the part I quoted.
Only added a picture to that specific quote - and added a question on my own end :)

I simply wanted to point out that the information is available in the game without requiring the player to visit a website to get this kind of information
Well... yes. Both in the race overview screen and in the actual lobby:

1709731921186.png

Another clue that isn't written, is that if you see everyone else is pitting in, then they're not doing it for fun and because they really want to lose 30 seconds of track time. See everyone pit in, you pit in!

After you enter the lobby, where you can chat with people it also show if any critical requirement is on, like pit or change tyre. That's how I knew I needed to pit once on Interlagos. But it's a little small on screen.

Back