10,000RPM NSX Type R

United Kingdom
Bournemouth
glenn_cullen
I drove my stock NSX Type R '02 for the seasonal and it revved up to 9,000rpm. Afterwards I decided to upgrade it to 550pp for online. I bought these engine mods:

Stage 2 Engine Tuning
Sports Computer
Racing Exhaust
Manifold
Catalytic Converter
Intake

I've limited it to 386bhp to reach 550pp and it revs to 9,900rpm :)

Anybody know of any others that can reach a high rpm? I've noticed small increases in rpm but none I've seen have had such an increase as the NSX. My similarly tuned S2000 revs to 9,400rpm.

Engine tuning nearly always raises the redline.

The Spoon Integra revved to 11000 or so too.
The BECs are 11000 or 12000.
FGT is even higher, mid teens I think.

^^Definitely going to mod the Spoons, the Integra is my fave FF

Different mods add different amounts, eg intake and catalytic converter add 100rpm each on the NSX. The funny thing is you can add all the engine mods, then use the power limiter so you end up with stock power but more revs and a better power band.

Yes but when you use the power limiter you normally end up with less HP than using a proper part and not lowering HP. Also it's not always best to have the power band in higher revs.

Yes but when you use the power limiter you normally end up with less HP than using a proper part and not lowering HP. Also it's not always best to have the power band in higher revs.

My 550pp NSX has 386hp/1,039kg. Peak power comes at about 5000rpm and its a straight line of 386hp right up to 9500rpm. So that means I'm at peak power pretty much 100% of the time, which must be better than having an extra 10-20hp with a more uneven power band.

Torque peaks at 4500rpm and drops rapidly. I'm not sure how this compares to stock but without the power limiter peak torque is higher in the revs and decreases less rapidly.

So basically, power band is vastly improved but torque band is adversely affected. It depends which is more important

The same thing is being discussed in this topic (a good read);
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/reverse-engineering-on-pps.300254/

Spoon Integra comparison

Stock;
422pp (after oil change)
max rpm 10,500
max power 227@10,000rpm (gradual increase along the band up to peak)
max torque 20.4kgfm@6500rpm(ish) (relatively flat along the whole band and spikes at the peak)

Now to add Stage 3 engine and race exhaust (others not available);
474pp, 11,000rpm, 330hp and 28.1kgfm. No real difference to the power band

Now I've used the power limiter to reach 422pp again;
max power 216hp@5,000rpm (and it's a flat line all the way up to 11,000rpm!)
max torque 25.1kgfm@3,000rpm(ish) (dips from there but not excessively)

I think this is a big improvement, 216hp across the range is better than 227hp in just the top 500-1000 revs. Peak torque has increased but it's lower so no advantage there but the torque drop is progressive so you still have just as much, if not more torque where you need it. Plus you've got an extra 500rpm to play with which is always nice

Latest Posts

Back