10 Bloomin' years

• Thread starter Boffin
  • 18 comments
Australia
Australia
It was 10 years ago today that I learnt that others shared my passion for taking photos of cars in GT4.

Excitedly, I signed up as 80Y 2C2 and entered a rather abstract Takata NSX shot into a photomode 2.0 comp which instantly sparked heated debate amongst several well respected GT4 photomode users whose work I had oggled at for the previous few days (like @Bram Turismo etc etc) . I didn't win that comp, but I got an alarming amount of votes, and it really drove me to 'capture' and photoshop better. And the rest, as they say, was history.

In between then and now I have darted around several enclaves of GTP, from the GT4 photomode days to GT5P, where I had a stab at car reviews before moving into the online racing and time trial competitions (with the likes of @Mad94d and @Paulie).

Soon it dawned on me that only a fraction of GTP was I do to with video game chat and I ventured further into the forums. I have had heated debates about irl cars (one in particular with @homeforsummer about old Alfas, I seem to remember) and ended up winning a GTP award for the best new member of 2009 after getting to know so many cool and insightful people around the forums.

Then I bumped into the arts section. I always had an interest in photography so I was super interested to see what others were doing. People like @Syntax error and @Azuremen were really pushing me to take my passion from film to digital. I, along with a group including @LongbowX and @GilesGuthrie , released an official GTP car photography calendar for a couple of years with proceeds going towards charity. I made some pretty big creative strides in my own work - I'm fairly sure @Joey D shouted me a year's premium because I photoshopped his Mini into some artwork :lol: . Since then I have hung around the forums to get feedback on photography amongst a vast array of other things.

When I started my time on GTP I was in highschool with some aspirations to get into car magazines. It's crazy to think that that's where I am now, and of the sort of conversations my younger self would have with my current self. GTP has been a massive help in realising this goal with users always willing to offer support or critique.

GTP has also helped me meet people irl, notably catching up with @Mike Rotch for a blat in our Clio RSs.

Since the GT days, life has taken over and I lurk a bit more than post, but I always enjoy signing back on and catching up with select threads I follow.

Point is, GTP is awesome and I can't thank the community enough for being just the best bunch of guys and gals. Here's to 10 more :cheers:

Tl:dr y'all alright.

It'll be 10 years for me also in March 2019. GT Planet is simply the best forum online imho.

:gtpflag::gtplanet: :gtpflag:

👍

GTP has also helped me meet people irl, notably catching up with @Mike Rotch for a blat in our Clio RSs.
That was a hoot good sir, one that will long in the memory banks. Like that weird mushroom we spotted!

24viq0j.jpg

Thanks for the write up, it's always interesting reading about the early days and how one grows on the boards. To another 10 :cheers:

I haven't posted in here in what seems like an eternity! Every year or so I pop my head in for a minute or two and reminisce about the old days... anyway just saw this recent post with a mention :)

I have to say, seeing you go from GT photo mode, to that time that when I first met you at Oran Park raceway (when that was still a thing!) to you having your shots in the feature article of the biggest automotive publications is a real treat. Well done mate.

I distinctively remember your photo comp. entries. Probably the one that stood out the most for me was an Alfa GTA on Infineon, I think it was? It was right in the thick of the 'clean up' phase of GT4 Photo Mode photography - getting the incredibly dated models to look like what we all take for granted now with Sport :D It's still vivid to me how much my 9/10/11 year old self wished I could match that level that you and the rest could muster, week after week 👍

Here's to ten years - and another ten!

Dude, I remember talking with you about how you could totally get a chance in car mags with your skills, then reading that you actually got into it later on. I always remember you because GTPlanet helped you in some way to land such a job, which is quite similar to what happened with me. Here's to other ten years! :cheers:

Ha, I also still remember your very first photomode entries and some users asking what your original username meant at that time. :D

Congratulations and here's to another 10 years! :cheers:

Oh, and also: I knew back then!

Add me to the list of people that loved eyeballing your photomode work. Congrats on the decade!

I joined the 15-year club last year, but congratulations on 10 years on GTPlanet, Boffin! Cheers to you!

I did a search just now and found it :lol: It was pretty civil, to be fair. Congrats on a decade at GTP :cheers:

Cheers! I'm sure it was a bigger deal to 17/18yo me :lol: . I also categorically apologise for any flagrant remarks on my behalf during.

That was a hoot good sir, one that will long in the memory banks. Like that weird mushroom we spotted!

24viq0j.jpg

Thanks for the write up, it's always interesting reading about the early days and how one grows on the boards. To another 10 :cheers:

EEEE! Back when my car had cool number plates! :D That drive was a hoot, was great meeting you 👍 :cheers:

I don't log in too often any more, but congrats mate. :cheers:

Thanks man, hope you're keeping well :cheers:

I haven't posted in here in what seems like an eternity! Every year or so I pop my head in for a minute or two and reminisce about the old days... anyway just saw this recent post with a mention :)

I have to say, seeing you go from GT photo mode, to that time that when I first met you at Oran Park raceway (when that was still a thing!) to you having your shots in the feature article of the biggest automotive publications is a real treat. Well done mate.

Very much appreciated mate! You were one of the people I really looked up to when I was getting started with my D60 all those years ago! Used to love your Harley and event stuff! We never actually met at Oran Park :lol: - I just saw someone I thought was you, snapped a shot and then asked you later on here :lol: . We did however later on when I exchanged some beer for those suction cups...

SVX
I distinctively remember your photo comp. entries. Probably the one that stood out the most for me was an Alfa GTA on Infineon, I think it was? It was right in the thick of the 'clean up' phase of GT4 Photo Mode photography - getting the incredibly dated models to look like what we all take for granted now with Sport :D It's still vivid to me how much my 9/10/11 year old self wished I could match that level that you and the rest could muster, week after week 👍

Here's to ten years - and another ten!

NP
Ha, I also still remember your very first photomode entries and some users asking what your original username meant at that time. :D

Congratulations and here's to another 10 years! :cheers:

Oh, and also: I knew back then!

Add me to the list of people that loved eyeballing your photomode work. Congrats on the decade!

OMG GUYS! I was never thought I was getting any notice with my stuff in GT photomode, I wasn't a big player with heaps in my galleries, but I'm well chuffed you guys remember me! :D Have a Bellett GTR that I had knocking around somewhere..

72899_10151464104646858_430102600_n.jpg

Dude, I remember talking with you about how you could totally get a chance in car mags with your skills, then reading that you actually got into it later on. I always remember you because GTPlanet helped you in some way to land such a job, which is quite similar to what happened with me. Here's to other ten years! :cheers:

Ahh sick man! I still really appreciated your critique on my stuff when I was aiming at editorial stuff. 👍 And :cheers: to that!

(not trying to pedal my stuff but if anyone would like to follow my movements these days, @alastairbrook on Instagram is where I usually post outside of the magazines ) 👍

Last edited:
I haven't logged into GTP for a month or two, but find it a funny coincidence as I was talking about your photography to a friend a couple days ago and then pop onto the forum to see this thread. Ten years is a long time (thanks for reminding me I'm old) and it is quite awesome to see your progress over the years. Keep it up and plug your work all you want - it's good. It also makes me want to get a old 911 :ouch:

I do remember fondly all those Photo Competitions (and the calendars). Those were some very good times, and it's really great to see all the familiar names in this thread. I look back on the Competitions now, and think...how was it possible to run 2 Competitions every week and have so many entries?! A testament to the strength of community, one that you were a very welcome and talented part of. It has been excellent to see the evolution of your work, and to hear that your professional work is being properly appreciated and lauded. Cheers on the 10 years!

What no 'pfft, noob' comments from anyone? Disappointing.

Congrats on the 10 years! :cheers:

Pfft, noob.

Heh.. shows I should log in here more often...

I haven't logged into GTP for a month or two, but find it a funny coincidence as I was talking about your photography to a friend a couple days ago and then pop onto the forum to see this thread. Ten years is a long time (thanks for reminding me I'm old) and it is quite awesome to see your progress over the years. Keep it up and plug your work all you want - it's good. It also makes me want to get a old 911 :ouch:

Thanks so much for the kind words! I really do get a kick out of reaching people in different countries so cheers for letting us know. Yes, I do have a penchant for old Porsches and I don't know what the prices are like in the states but anything air cooled here is absolute unobtanium sadly :(

I do remember fondly all those Photo Competitions (and the calendars). Those were some very good times, and it's really great to see all the familiar names in this thread. I look back on the Competitions now, and think...how was it possible to run 2 Competitions every week and have so many entries?! A testament to the strength of community, one that you were a very welcome and talented part of. It has been excellent to see the evolution of your work, and to hear that your professional work is being properly appreciated and lauded. Cheers on the 10 years!

Cheers mate! You did a stellar job running the comps, an effort that was greatly appreciated by all involved. 👍

What no 'pfft, noob' comments from anyone? Disappointing.

Congrats on the 10 years! :cheers:

Pfft, noob.

:(

:cheers: thanks man!

Back