10 Laps of Autumn Ring Mini

• Thread starter lner
  • 0 comments
A friend and I always race in 2 player battles (apt word in this case) on Autumn Ring Mini.
One night in particular we had more than twenty races with only one of these finishing with a winning margin of more than 2 seconds, and approximately 5 others more than 1 second.

This means that somewhere in the region of 13-15 of these races we were separted by less than a second. In the best of these races, we were both driving stock Lancia Delta HF Intergrale Evolutione 91s.

I chose red and my mate chose white.

I managed to edge him off the line, and was slightly wide going into the firsrt hairpin, as a result was overtaken on the exit and run down the hill. Leaving my braking as late as possible I snuck back up the inside as both of as threw the cars into mad four-wheel drifts through the second corner. I was in front until the esses when some creative curb jumping saw me drop back to second. Coming onto the start/finish straight saw a mad dash all the way to the hairpin when I was much later on the brakes and over took only to be passed again as my friend had a different line and better exit speed.
In the next eight laps this same thing happened no less than five times at the first hairpin. On the eighth occasion I had better track position and in trying to cut back to the inside there was a touch of cars from which I benefited.

Going into the final lap I was trailing through the esses by less than half a second and drifted sideways past the pit entrance (convinced I was going hit the pit wall and swearing loudly the whole way) and got the power down to roar onto the start finish straight where I found my opponent (at this point the friendship was getting a little fragile after the cars had come together three times on the final lap :ouch: ) sliding wide on the exit and bouncing along the grass. He gathered it up and tried to block my overtaking move down the straight. I sailed alongside and there was silence for a few moments while we assessed the situation. I had lost the race by a margin of 0.050 of a second.

The interesting thing about this race was that we had tyre wear on and I pitted at the end of lap 5 and he pitted the following lap. Apart from this one lap we each had on our own we were never more than 1.2 seconds apart. Our fastest laps were also within approx 0.1 seconds of each other, and although I recall I acheived fastest lap on this occassion, I cannot confirm this with times.

This track is great fun for two player races, and while we desperately wanted to be able to race the Autumn Ring, close races are very common on this track. It is great to race against someone of similar skill levels.

Back