10 Motorcycles To Last You The Rest Of Your Life

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by Populuxe Cowboy, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Populuxe Cowboy

Populuxe Cowboy

It was suggested I start this thread since people seemed to like the car thread. The idea is the same. You only get ten motorcycles to last you the rest of your life. Choose however you like, but you don't ever get another bike. It's assumed you can afford to keep all these on the road, and yes, customs are permitted. Here's my list:

off-road/adventure: 2015 Triumph Tiger XRx. Gotta have an off-road bike. Not just for the fun of off-road riding, but just in case there's a zombie apocalypse. Hey, you never know. I chose the Triumph over the more common BMW because I like the triple engine.
    [​IMG]

touring bike: 2015 Victory Vision Tour. Why get a Harley when I can get something really unique. I've test ridden the Vision and it's an impressive motorcycle. Big relaxed v-twin and surprisingly good handling.
    [​IMG]

cruiser: 2015 Moto Guzzi Eldorado. Again, I go off the beaten path for my cruiser. I love Moto Guzzis. The Eldorado has a great new 1400cc engine and looks great.
    [​IMG]

tiddler: 1965 Honda Benley 150. You know, you need a little bike to really appreciate life on a motorcycle. I actually own one (this isn't it, I haven't properly photographed mine yet), and it reminds me of how little I need to enjoy motorcycling.
    [​IMG]

two-stroke: 1968 Honda T500. No list is complete without a classic Japanese two-stroke. The Titan 500 is a sexy little beast and I've always wanted one.
    [​IMG]

classic: 1952 Vincent Rapide Touring in Chinese Red. The Chinese red tourer is a little-known variant of the Vincent Rapide. I've been in love with it for decades. The Vincent is one of the greatest motorcycles ever and my collection wouldn't be complete without it.
    [​IMG]

old crock: 1952 Nimbus 750. This is a bit of a rarity. The Nimbus is a Danish motorcycle made from 1919 to 1960 with a 750cc inline-4. There are still quite a few of these on the road, and I really think one of them needs to be in my garage.
    [​IMG]

cafe racer: 1976 Honda GL1000. I owned a '75 Gold Wing that was halfway to being a cafe racer, and I loved it. I still miss it. A friend described it as riding a leather-covered beer barrel. I'll take that.
    [​IMG]

chopper: Triumph 750. Although this is a unit 750, I'll take any Triumph twin from 500, 650 or 750cc, unit or pre-unit. The Triumph twin is a great engine, and looks great as a chopper. Just make sure you cover it in metal-flake paint.
    [​IMG]

bobber: 1948 Indian Chief. A grimy, stripped down Indian Chief makes a classic bobber. Authentic and sexy.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  2. W3HS

W3HS Premium

10? That's a bit excessive.

1. Honda Cub (90 or 100). Will. Last. For. Ever
    [​IMG]
    2. Ducati 899 Panigale. Because beautiful.
    [​IMG]
    3. KTM Duke 690. Because capable.
    [​IMG]
    4. Royal Enfield Bullet 500. Because prestige.
    [​IMG]
    5. Gas Gas EC Raid 450. Because mountains, forests & desert.
    [​IMG]

Not sure I would want any more to be honest. If I had all the wealth in the world then yeah, but maintaining these 5 alone would cost me a fair chunk of my income (except for the 90).

3. Smoke&Slide

Smoke&Slide

I'd have these to ride:

Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC in Alitalia race rep colours ( with gold or green or white Marchesini wheels obviously )

Aprilia Mille SP

Mondial Piega Carbon Edition

Ducati 916/955 conversion AMA bike

Yoshimura X1R Hayabusa

Vyrus 987 C3 4V supercharged

Irving Vincent road bike ( with left foot gear change )

2008 Repsol Honda Fireblade

Honda CBR600FS in Rossi colours

Mv Agusta F4RC

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    Carlos, Skython and Populuxe Cowboy like this.
  4. The Vanishing Boy

The Vanishing Boy Premium

-> Here are my picks, given to my lack of experience (been test riding since 2014) and I'm still bike-less:

Suzuki V-Strom 650 '12-'16 or '17+
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yamaha XSR900 '16+ or FZ/MT-09 '17+ (if you can swap with XSR gauge)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Victory Octane '14+
    [​IMG]

Honda VFR800 VTEC '14+
    [​IMG]

BMW S1000 XR '15+
    [​IMG]

Gibbs Biski '17+
    [​IMG]

Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory '15+
    [​IMG]

Honda DN-01 '08-'10 (my Kamen Rider Decade 'fanboy' bike)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yamaha WR250R '14+
    [​IMG]

Triumph Bonneville T120 '15+
    [​IMG]

^ In case everyone wonders why all of these are newer bikes, I'm a total newbie on bikes so yeah.

:)

Carlos, Populuxe Cowboy and Skython like this.
  5. Carlos

Carlos Premium

I have a thing for Aprilia's so prepare :p

1. 90's Aprilia RS250
    [​IMG]

2. 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R 'Haga'
    [​IMG]

3. 2007 Aprilia RSV1000R Factory (mine hihi :D )
    [​IMG]

4. 2016 Aprilia RSV4 RF
    [​IMG]

5. 2007 Aprilia SXV550
    [​IMG]

6. 2015 Ducati 1299 Panigale S
    [​IMG]

7. 2015 Ducati Diavel
    [​IMG]

8. 2016 BMW R1200 GS
    [​IMG]

9. 2016 MV Agusta F4 RR
    [​IMG]

10. A custom Harley Davidson Night Rod :p
    [​IMG]

6. The Vanishing Boy

-> Oh, oh, oh! May I have 5 more!? Sorry, I can't help it!

SYM Symba 100 '15
    [​IMG]

Honda CB1100 EX '17
    [​IMG]

Zero SR '14+
    [​IMG]

Ducati XDiavel S '16+
    [​IMG]

BMW R1200 GS Adventure '14+
    [​IMG]

#allbikesmatter :D

Carlos likes this.
  7. Carlos

Carlos Premium

They sell those things at my local Aprilia dealer, I'm not sold (yet). I like the idea of having an electric car but motorcycle, naahh I'll hold that off for as long as possible :p Thing is, it loses some 'personality'. Like my bike (a V2) in low revs it's like doing rodeo.

8. The Vanishing Boy

-> ...
    ^ Me neither thou, but since I test rode this specific bike.

[​IMG]

-> I can only see it as a toy for the greenie-rich folk, it was a different experience! But if you're not ready for a pure EV, the half-way option is a decent choice:

Victory Empulse TT '14+
    [​IMG]

^ The only EV bike that has a traditional 6-speed M/T (1-2-N-3-4-5-6). :)

-> I can replace the Zero to this one instead:

Christini 450 Explorer AWD '16+
    [​IMG]

^ For an advanced bike, the price is quite reasonable! At USD$9,600, and the engine is based (ie. Chinese copy) off a Honda CRF450, you can't go wrong! I have a strong feeling that this will be my 1st dirt bike if given the chance! :dopey:

Carlos likes this.
  9. Carlos

Carlos Premium

@The Vanishing Boy , well I guess a test drive can't hurt. I'll ask next time when I'm there if they can arrange something. I would be sold if BMW makes an hybrid GS1200. Drive electric in the woods and use the engine for the faster sections.

10. The Vanishing Boy

@Carlos -> But in my opinion, EV-bikes are way to premature for mainstream use. Just the charging time and range alone scares the heck out of me!

-> And also a hybrid GS will (definitely) weigh as much as a Honda Beat by then, so nope!

11. AlvaroF

AlvaroF

My choices would be (I won't even reach 10 :lol:)

1. Famel XF17. This portuguese 50cc 2-stroke bike (moped, really) is absolutely insane, with a top speed easily over 100km/h (62mph) they were horribly dangerous and totally awsome. This is the bike to put a smile on my face when I'm sad.

[​IMG]

2. Ducati Diavel. Because it's probably the best looking motorbike on sale right now.

[​IMG]

3. BMW R1200GS. My "car". It does everything and goes anywhere.

[​IMG]

4. MV Agusta Brutale 800. I don't like sports bikes so I guess I'll choose a naked instead.

[​IMG]

5. Honda CB750. And transform it into a Cafe Racer and embrace the inner hipster in myself. Ok, not really, Cafe Racers are awsome.

[​IMG]

Bonus bike: Honda CBX1000. Inline 6 and the best sound ever on a bike.

[​IMG]

12. Barracuda413

Barracuda413

The bikes in my permanent collection, that is ones l will NEVER sell
    1963 Triumph 650 Bonneville
    1966 HD XLCH
    1986 HD FXWG, converted to an FLH
    1979 Honda CBX
    1975 Moto Guzzi 850 Intercepter
    Ones l will probably never sell
    1989 GB500
    1968 Triumph T100C