1080p @ 120mhz or 4K @ 60mhz which is better?

• Thread starter Felix
  • 5 comments
England
Hereford
Fellix79
I'm not sure if this really the right area of the forums, but as it's kinda hardware related I thought this is as good as any.

I currently run my PC through a 43" LG LED HDR 4K TV which has a gaming/computer mode. I'm able to have 1080p @ 120mhz or 4K @ 60mhz. With my rig, that means 120fps or 60fps. I'm using an GTX1080Ti , so I'm able to play a lot of racing games with really high settings and keep a consistent frame rate.

Is it more important that my system keeps a very steady FPS, rather than it being able to hit higher and higher numbers, but it then drops the odd frame?

I've just ordered myself a Fanatec CSL Elite PS4 starter kit as I have gotten sick to death of my T300RS suffering with FFB fade way too often. I've been on iRacing again , but I also play Forza, Assetto Corsa, F1 , RF-2 . I built myself a "budget" PC using older spec parts and I've been able to play most racing games at a much higher detail.

I am not a very fast driver, but I really want to get into iRacing properly and it's why I finally gone and got the Fanatec CSL Elite after 4-5 years of fighting with the T300RS (damn thing has had to be replaced 3 times). Is racing at 1080p with 120fps better than 4k @ 60mhz? 4K the FPS counter is showing a steady 84FPS, which I expect to drop a fair bit once I am in a race.

Cheers,

Felix

Is racing at 1080p with 120fps better than 4k @ 60mhz? 4K the FPS counter is showing a steady 84FPS, which I expect to drop a fair bit once I am in a race.

I haven't tried racing with a 120 Hz display, myself. But I'm positive that I'd prefer 1080@120 Hz with a solid, steady frame rate (e.g. if you're getting 84 fps w/ 4K@60Hz driving solo, you might experience frame-skipping with many opponent cars on-screen, giving the game an unwanted jerky feel.)

Also, if your car is going at 360 km/h, in the 1/60 s it takes the hardware to draw each new frame (@60 Hz) you'd be traveling 1.67 m. At a 120 Hz refresh, that distance is halved to 0.83 m.

But, give it a try, if it's just a question of changing video config.

And about that T300, it's possible to activate an always-on cooling option to remedy the FFB fade (you might need to update the firmware first, though.)

@Felix
I did a fair amount of research recently on refresh rates with TVs and monitors. Unless you get 55 inch or larger, the refresh rates are 60 Hz. (Source: RTings.com). (To my understanding the marketing hype twists some TV processing to call it 120Hz). I expect the best performance would come from locking in at 60Hz. This may not be possible without free sync (or in your case, G-sync).

Last edited:
I haven't tried racing with a 120 Hz display, myself. But I'm positive that I'd prefer 1080@120 Hz with a solid, steady frame rate (e.g. if you're getting 84 fps w/ 4K@60Hz driving solo, you might experience frame-skipping with many opponent cars on-screen, giving the game an unwanted jerky feel.)

Also, if your car is going at 360 km/h, in the 1/60 s it takes the hardware to draw each new frame (@60 Hz) you'd be traveling 1.67 m. At a 120 Hz refresh, that distance is halved to 0.83 m.

But, give it a try, if it's just a question of changing video config.

And about that T300, it's possible to activate an always-on cooling option to remedy the FFB fade (you might need to update the firmware first, though.)

I have the T300RS with the fans always on (they are so loud) , even with a lower FFB setting I find after a few laps they strength drops. When I say FFB, I really mean the dampening as I like a heavy wheel as I've always driven sports coupes or sports cars that have a heavier PAS setting than your typical car. I've had one wheel base fail 3 weeks past the expiry on the warranty and Thrustmaster wouldn't replace the unit. I bought another base and it was the first unit that I had fade problems with. I got it replaced as faulty and the unit they sent to me was almost as bad. If it wasn't for the fact I have the 3PA-Pro pedals, I would have gone over to the Fanatec much sooner.

@Felix
I did a fair amount of research recently on refresh rates with TVs and monitors. Unless you get 55 inch or larger, the refresh rates are 60 Hz. (Source: RTings.com). (To my understanding the marketing hype twists some TV processing to call it 120Hz). I expect the best performance would come from locking in at 60Hz. This may not be possible without free sync (or in your case, G-sync).

When I am in settings in Windows/Nvidia control panel, it does see my LG TV as having 120Hz for 1080p (it also has 50Hz and 60Hz options for 1080p) I have the LG 43UJ630V. I've just checked a site and it's only showing it as 50/60Hz for 4K. Sadly I don't have G-Sync on the TV. I'm tempted to get myself a new TV now (I do need to get another TV for my living area).

If your system can't maintain the target refresh rate of your display (e.g. 120Hz) then you risk screen tearing - individual experiences will vary based on equipment of course.

Personally, given I'm very close to my 50" screen when I'm racing I'd want 2160P/60 over 1080P/120 as visual fidelity is very noticeable at close distances.

In terms of iRacing performance - your 1080 Ti will munch through it no problem. If you are only getting 84fps though I suspect you are CPU bottlenecked - which is common in iRacing as it is so poorly multithreaded.

It all comes down to personal preference, & I myself would go for 4K 60 all day long.

Latest Posts

Back