.

  • Thread starter Thread starter supersonic-88
  • 21 comments
  • 1,301 views
I have my PS3 step up wirelessly 5 feet away from my modem. Everytime I play, I usually also have two other computers connected to the same modem and I have an almost lagless experience. However, when I'm downloading something from either computer or if my brother is playing online in one of the computers, my car doesn't appear laggy to others, but others just look like they are flying all over the place.

So in my case, answer B happens to me. Hope it helped!!
 
Unfortunately PD still have to fix their servers. Our connection is fine it's just that, the online experience still suffers from little servers, not a alot bandwidth. Hopefully when GT5 comes out, this won't be a problem, after all racing with other 16 players online, the experience better be butter smooth or it will dejavu again! :P
 
If another player is lagging, only their car will move around the screen. If everyone else is moving around the screen, you are lagging.
 
[supersonic-88];3192943
Hmm well last night everyone else seemed to be fine bar 1 or 2 guys who had extreme lag, so going on that theory i wasn't lagging. And people racing around me didnt seem to be hesitant to race me or pass me, indicting that there wasn't any lag from myself. So i can't work it out :confused:
Makes perfect sense to me.

2 guys were lagging, you were not.
 
The lag for each match will change per game, since i'm pretty sure PD pick a person to be the host. Depending on where the person is in the world there could be more or less lag. I know when i race at a time when there are players from my country on there is no lag, but when i play Europeans then i notice more people skipping around.
 
first off we need to split this into downstream and upstream.

Your downstream affects only how the other cars appear to you. This is affected the most by things like downloading on another pc on your network. If your downtream is clogged up then all the other cars on the track will appear to lag.

Your upstream affects how you appear to the other players. If your upstream sucks then, potentially everything could appear normal to you but the rest of the players will see your car lagging. Your upstream will be affected if someone on your network is, say, uploading their holiday snaps to photobucket.

Next we have to take into account the host, who is just another guy like you with (potentially) a slightly better connection. If the host has upstream or downstream issues all hell will break loose with all cars appearing to lag, to everyone and possibly a disconnection for all cars, as the complex realtime conversation between 12 PS3's breaks down. Note that a filesharing protocol like bittorrent will nuke both your downstream and upstream and will look similar to this, with your car appearing to lag to the others.
 
[supersonic-88];3193077
I just asked my sister if she was uploading anything during that particular time last night & she said no, only browsing the net, so im at a loss as to how i was potentially appearing laggy to at least one other member on this forum. Also like i said in a previous post, others drivers around me didn't seem hesitant to race with me or pass me, which would be the case if i was appearing laggy on their screen so i dunno what it was.
What's your download/upload bandwidth?

Normally if you have high downloads speeds when browsing your upload data increase for itself(it's the way the web communicate) and if you have a low limit upload that can cause a bottleneck and lag your online games, specially if they are hungry on resources.
 
[supersonic-88];3193091
Im on a 1500 / 256 kbps connection. Thing is ive been racing online for months now & almost every time i have been racing online, she has been using the net at the same time & theres never been a problem, never had anyone mention to me that i was lagging, so thats what i really cant work out. Why it was happening last night, at least from one persons position, the others i was racing didnt mention anything about it to me so could it possibly just be a problem with that player & not my connection?
Exactly.
 
Think of the internet like a complicated road system. Sometimes there may be congestion on some street, in another town, between you and your destination. Might be nothing to do with your connection just the line between you and the host.

You ever notice sometimes only specific sites or domains will appear slow to you while others are fine? That's the nature of the beast. Complicated business this interwebnets :sly:
 
Solution: Dedicated Server like Burnout Motorstorm Resistance Warhark
 
Solution: Dedicated Server like Burnout Motorstorm Resistance Warhark

Partial solution. Doesn't matter where the server is, if all 12 players can't get a decent connection to it you're stuffed.

Dedicated server would only help solve hosting issues. I gotta admit I thought the peer to peer thing was lunacy when I first heard about it but, on the whole it works okay for me, even on international games. I am on proper broadband tho, not that garbage BT sells.
 
I've had consistent lag problems since the Spec III update and I'm running a very fast connection (for the USA). 10 mbps down and 1,000 kbps up.
 
I see the occasional laggy player and, very rarely, every car lagging and that's normally just before the host kicks everyone. I play over wireless network too. Decent broadband makes all the difference.
 
I hadn't seen much lag in races until this evening when it was really bad, thought it might have been my connection but i checked it and it was fine, hopefully it will be fine again tomorrow.
 
I've had consistent lag problems since the Spec III update and I'm running a very fast connection (for the USA). 10 mbps down and 1 mbps up.

Scratch that, I just checked and an upgrade was available in my area to 16 mbps down and 2 mbps up. Next time I play I'll see if things are any better.

I'm running on 100 base-t ethernet.
 
Back