• 141 comments

Moglet

Gendertrash
Premium
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Moglet85
Moglet
There's a lot of stuff floating about these forums at the minute regarding the video shown at E3 yesterday, wether the damage was pre rendered, wether the whole thing was CGI etc. etc. so I've decided to a do a little breakdown of the video.

Nothing in this post or is concrete evidence, it is based upon this video alone and the opinions posted are just ideas and possibilities

Descriptions of images are BELOW the image.

----------------------------------------------------

First up we have the first scene that suggested to me that this video was NOT pre rendered CGI. In the past we've seen pre rendered videos that looked stunning, often flawless. So would PD really spend all that time making a CGI video only to include the poorly textured flowers, wall and character? This could be a photomode location of a 'start of race' video that plays as the cars are lining up.

Again, the same as above but look at the left of the image. Probably the same start of race video.

Once again, why would you pre render something and leave in something as glaringly obvious as a repeated road texture, as seen here?

Onto the ever questionable damage from the trailer. First of all, the damage looks reasonable to me, as if it could happen on single car events, such as rallies. Wether it will survive to make it into events where there are loads of cars on track is yet to be seen. Not only do we see damage, but dirt too. Lots of it. Except for on the rear wheel arch panel. An early model for the dust mechanic? The area in question has been marked with red arrows.

Another case of dust stopping suddenly, as marked with red arrows. Also shown here are low res textures (Rally Japan door graphics) that would not have been rendered so badly for a CGI video. Could it be that each panel has dust rendered seperately onto it incase that panel then comes detached from the vehicle?

That's just plain weird. Maybe you can actually now turn collisions off for online racing?

Is it the Top Gear track or not? Hard to say, but those buildings do look remarkably similar to me. The only thing missing is the roof with the 3 points on it.

Nurburgring at sunset and sunrise. Or not. All the 2nd image is is a normal replay with a blue filter applied. The shadows of the trees are in the same direction and are the same length on both replays, so the time of day is the same.

--------------------------------------------------------

If anyone has anything they want to add, post away. I just hope this doesn't turn into a massive argument about nothing. If it does I will lock it.

On the first pic of the ring you can also see that the car the furthest away from the camera doesn't cast any shadows.
I think this is a trailer like we've seen a few for GT5P: much more AA, and some extra effects, but very close to the final product.

And the missing dirt on the car is like you said probably a texture mapping issue.

I've also noticed they brought the smoke clouds from GT3/4 back (clearly visible in the wrc part).

did you notice the first picture of the Nurburgring the SLR is missing its shadow on the ground compared to the other 2 cars, take a close look guys...the SLR seems out of place in that picture :scared:

You sertainly have your eyes open Moglet! 👍

Yes, I think this confirms that the trailer is not pre rendered! Which makes it even more awesome! :D

This will start some great discussion I hope.

Good analysis, and photos. I also like the thread idea. It has certainly convinced me that the trailer didn't feature CGI, which is refreshing because it looked very good.

The Hyberbolic pit building at the Nurburing looks well modelled for such a distance feature, perhaps the GPtrack will be included too.

{edit] Mog, do you think you can get a decent shot of the SLR driver who appears to be wearing sunglasses rather than a race helmet. Custom Avatar for GT5?

Not my spot btw.

did you notice the first picture of the Nurburgring the SLR is missing its shadow on the ground compared to the other 2 cars, take a close look guys...the SLR seems out of place in that picture :scared:

It does have a shadow. The other 2 cars look like they have darker shadows but those are just the shadows from the trees extending out further into the track.

SLR driver with the sunglasses;

Except in CSI they would use a black and green screen making bleepy noises to somehow take an image the size of a stamp and blow it up to a 1600x1200 perfect recreation of their face :lol: ;)

The Mercedes has no shadows, here it is somewhat more obvious (Also notice the pretty trees :P):

cv0007.jpg

Oh yeah, I hadn't noticed that! How bizarre! It has a shadow in the close up images, so it's not like they haven't rendered one at all...

Oh yeah, I hadn't noticed that! How bizarre! It has a shadow in the close up images, so it's not like they haven't rendered one at all...

Yeah it does the same in GT5P. You can notice it on the start of the long straight (before the left turn and final chicane) of Suzuka, where first the shadow casting and later the selfshadowing pops in.

But this was just to further 'prove' that this would be something stupid to do if it was CG.

I didn't think the Nurburgring was in GT5P? :confused: I haven't updated it in a while so I could be wrong.

Some great analysis on the images. CGI or not, when the final product is ready, GT5 will kick ass. PD never ceases to amaze graphics-wise. 👍

One more thing, is that I the Nürburgring still looks like a facelifted GT4 version, instead of an up to date GT5 version, created from scratch. The lighting looks the same as GT4 as well I think...

The missing shadow is caused by something called LOD effect, the Level Of Detail gets down the further away the objects are, this is also the reason for some strange looking things when you zoom in Prologues replays.

None of the above is CGI (except maybe for the crash), everything is made with in-game assets touched up with anti aliasing and softer shadows (maybe a higher basic resolution dunno).

The missing shadow is caused by something called LOD effect, the Level Of Details gets down the further away the objects are,

That is what I thought, but the others cars have perfect shadows and they are just as far away as the SLR was originally at the end of the trailer!

Well the couple "of meters" there could be enough.

You can also see where the background of the Nürburgring starts and the basic track "model" ends, another indication for 100% in-game.

Since no one has mentioned it yet... the medieval city pic with the JGTC cars (first post, first pic in this thread) is Bern, switzerland, a famous spot for japanese tourists. The Tram also says "Ostring" on it which is a location in Bern.

Image google "Zytglogge, Bern" for proof.
Zytglogge_a.jpg

If it isn't a photomode location it could also be a hint that there's a "Bern" Track in GT5. A fictional one (typical for the GT series).

Last edited:
Well the couple "of meters" there could be enough.

That's why I said that the 2 other cars end up where the SLR started. I'm pretty sure they pass past the same distance away from the camera, even taking into account the camera movement.

It already was mentioned in another thread, theres also the name of the Italian city from the Rallye stage (look in my post history, you might find it lol).

EDIT: Oh... hm well maybe its some sort of a bug.^^

I told in another thread that the citroen clips through the tuned corvette, but no one belived))))

I watched it frame by frame, on the PS3, and it looks like it drives through the wheel, its most likely really close though, if they clipped you would've seen both cars bounce of each other, or hopefully deform each other, but really I see damage coming to race cars only, and I'm not bothered, I wouldn't be surprised, if PD can patch damage to all cars after the release.

The driver in the SLR is the same dude that was in that limited time AUdi R8 intro video to GT5p.

I'm missing that intro, great find.

I think what is also very important is that there seem to be more than 12-16 cars in a race. As seen in the nascar race! Nordschleife with 200+ cars. I can only dream!

I think what is also very important is that there seem to be more than 12-16 cars in a race. As seen in the nascar race! Nordschleife with 200+ cars. I can only dream!

I've counted the Nascars a few times and I come up with 16. Does anyone come up with more?

Back