120 Hz + Prioritize Resolution + VRR = degraded graphics in garage and GT Auto

• Thread starter vr4_95
  • 14 comments
United States
United States
I don't see anyone talking about this, but I can't be the only one who's noticed that the garage and GT Auto graphics look way worse in 120 Hz/Resolution mode, with VRR enabled, than they do in 60 Hz/ Frame Rate mode and 120 Hz/Frame Rate mode.

To me, it's most noticeable when looking at the wheels (due to aliasing?); but reflections are also noticeably jagged and seem to stutter a bit. The cockpit view in the garage also seems to suffer from a lower frame rate compared to 60 Hz/Prioritize Frame Rate. In-race graphics look great; but this might be a deal-breaker for me, personally.

Has anyone else noticed this? I know I'm not imagining it..

(I did confirm that 120 Hz and VRR are working properly on my LG B2.)

That might be the ray tracing.
Honestly, I wish there was a 120Hz + increased resolution mode, but without the ray tracing.

That might be the ray tracing.
Honestly, I wish there was a 120Hz + increased resolution mode, but without the ray tracing.
I think you’re right… I switched over to 60 Hz/Resolution and I’m noticing the same issues.

Has Resolution mode always looked like this? It definitely looks worse overall, to me - which I find really odd.

I think you’re right… I switched over to 60 Hz/Resolution and I’m noticing the same issues.

Has Resolution mode always looked like this? It definitely looks worse overall, to me - which I find really odd.
I honestly think it looks better with RT. At first I preferred the framerate mode but I like how the ground looks on the legend dealership, with RT

Yeah, raytracing does butcher graphics in GT Auto since the beginning, thats why i never used the mode before the VRR update. Now i have to live with it.

I wish the ray tracing was a seperate option like it is on scapes , that way i could switch to whatever i would prefer

Last edited:
I think it’s ps5 pro time
Yes, I think people forget that the PS5 is equivalent to a low end PC graphics card from 2 generations ago, roughly 2060 performance. For comparison, I got a 4080 recently, and that's only just enough to run FH5 solidly at 120fps 1440p with everything maxed out. It has some headroom, it runs at 140-160fps if I uncap the framerate, but that's what you need to have a truly solid 120fps. It's actually amazing that they've managed to make GT7 run as well as it does on such low performance hardware.

Yes, I think people forget that the PS5 is equivalent to a low end PC graphics card from 2 generations ago, roughly 2060 performance. For comparison, I got a 4080 recently, and that's only just enough to run FH5 solidly at 120fps 1440p with everything maxed out. It has some headroom, it runs at 140-160fps if I uncap the framerate, but that's what you need to have a truly solid 120fps. It's actually amazing that they've managed to make GT7 run as well as it does on such low performance hardware.
I thought it was equivalent to a 2070 Super, no? In any case, the folks at Digital Foundry don’t think there’s a need for it yet, as the PS5 has yet to be truly pushed with apps built from the ground up for the system, and the cost of manufacture, the price of the system would be too much to justify the gains, which, at the moment, would be likely native 4K on a consistent basis, and improved ray tracing, and higher visual settings.

With the PS4 Pro, the advent of 4K televisions was well underway, and that was a selling point, same with the Xbox One X. PS5 Pro doesn’t really have any such USP, and while the increased power would be really nice, it’s not something that people would be foaming for.

Basically, why would your average gamer pick one up, when their regular PS5 does just fine? It outputs 4K, does 120hz, and the RT, while it is a little restrained by the hardware, improved RT wouldn’t be a “I need to buy this right now” thing, I don’t think.

Last edited:
I think people forget games on the pc are horribly optimized.. TLOU ON PC on low looks worst than it does on the ps3 but you need a pc with better specs to play it on the PC . You would be shocked to see GT7 running well on the ps4 base and the graphics aren't that far off from the ps5 minus resolution and reflection quality ( and some tracks are more detailed but carried over aren't)

I thought it was equivalent to a 2070 Super, no?
I won't be able to find the video now that I saw a long time ago that said it was closest to a 2060, so I searched to find what I could now, and it seems it varies quite a bit by game. The video I saw a long time ago used Cyberpunk 2077, and it's very similar to a 2060 for that. For other games, it can move one way or the other, e.g. for GTA V, the 2060 is faster, for RDR 2, the PS5 is faster.

Basically, why would your average gamer pick one up, when their regular PS5 does just fine? It outputs 4K, does 120hz, and the RT, while it is a little restrained by the hardware, improved RT wouldn’t be a “I need to buy this right now” thing, I don’t think.
PS5 Pro wouldn't be aimed at the average gamer, it would be aimed at people who want a better experience and are willing to pay for it. A 3060Ti plays most current PC games just fine, but people will pay for the latest cards if they want to be able to play the games extremely well rather than just fine.

I haven't noticed but the increased smoothness during gameplay makes so much difference. I kind of hate it because 60fps seems low to me now for racing/action games.

I've noticed weird frame drops since the update. I was using 120Hz but put it back down to 60 but it's still there. I'm guessing something to do with VRR and/or my TV then.

I've noticed weird frame drops since the update. I was using 120Hz but put it back down to 60 but it's still there. I'm guessing something to do with VRR and/or my TV then.

With VRR frame drops should be unnoticeable. Maybe check all your settings for you TV, console, AV receiver if applicable.

I won't be able to find the video now that I saw a long time ago that said it was closest to a 2060, so I searched to find what I could now, and it seems it varies quite a bit by game. The video I saw a long time ago used Cyberpunk 2077, and it's very similar to a 2060 for that. For other games, it can move one way or the other, e.g. for GTA V, the 2060 is faster, for RDR 2, the PS5 is faster.

PS5 Pro wouldn't be aimed at the average gamer, it would be aimed at people who want a better experience and are willing to pay for it. A 3060Ti plays most current PC games just fine, but people will pay for the latest cards if they want to be able to play the games extremely well rather than just fine.
Ah, okay. I remember that DF said it was equivalent to a 2070 Super but maybe that was an average.

Right, but the cost of manufacturing wouldn’t outweigh the profits. I don’t think it’d be worth developing from Sony’s end. You need large market appeal to recoup the costs on mid-generation refresh machines. Can we compare PC owners to console owners? As far as I know, the latter are generally less likely to purchase a new console (equivalent to buying a new GPU) as often when there’s no big “wow, I need this” feature.

I don’t think a PS5 Pro would sell all that well, relative to the cost of production and overall, I don’t see it selling as much as the PS4 Pro (again, relatively speaking). It just seems irrelevant from a business perspective. Don’t get me wrong, I’d like a PS5 Pro, but I agree with the DF folk, it doesn’t really make sense right now.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back