1300 Miles. 638 Horsepower. 0 Tickets. 1 Helluva ride.

• Thread starter bennyrrr
  • 20 comments
United States
SLO, CA
SimplyBenny
So I got the random phone call from an old client last Monday. "I'm buying a ZR1 in Colorado and I want to fly you out so you can drive it back." Before I knew it I was being picked up at the airport by the Lexus dealer the car was at. Yes a ZR1 was traded in at a Lexus dealer. See, the lady who owned the ZR1 was scared by the car, so she traded it for an RX400H. A ZR1 for a hybrid. Yea, I was laughing. I walked into the dealer feeling pretty awesome. No one at the dealer had been allowed to drive the car so after signing my life away, they wanted me to give it a good rip when I left. I might have obliged
IMG_1447.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg

After that it was off towards Boulder to visit a good friend of mine from school. I left Boulder around 5. Missing the crazy storm that hit that and Denver with lots of hail by about an hour I guess. Let me just say, Colorado, you are freaking beautiful. The scenery driving along 70 is amazing. I loved the drive. Once darkness set in I kicked it up a notch. Until a silver E46 M3 came up next to me. He gave me a thumbs up so I obliged him with a quick little blast of the glorious supercharged V8. We went back and forth running with each other for about 15-20 miles until I had to pull off for gas with a mutual appreciation for each others rides.
IMG_1451.jpg

IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1473.jpg

IMG_1991.jpg

The rest of the drive consisted of me being bored and doing some quick tests of the cars systems and gadgets. I cant really say much about this stage of the ride because honestly it started to get flat and boring. I got into Provo, Utah around 2:30 AM.
IMG_1472.jpg

I woke up the next morning at the Super 8 motel (classy, yes I know) and left Provo by 8:30 AM for Reno. Honestly I chuckled when I walked outside the motel to see kids looking at the car and gawking. I revved it up for them and they smiled and jumped. This was probably the best part of the trip for me. I have been obsessed with cars since I was born. My first word was car. I remember seeing nice cars out in the wild when I was a kid and loved hearing them and seeing them. So I tried to return the favor to any one who showed an appreciation for the car
IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1484.jpg

I arrived in Reno around 4 PM and headed over to my aunt and uncles house to meet up with my cousin. We proceeded to head back to his place and relax. Had dinner at Bully's Sports bar in Reno. Once again, I loved sitting in the bar watching kids and people walking around the car and checking it out. It made me really appreciate the opportunity I had. We got a call that one of my cousin's roomates mothers needed help with her car, so we took the car over and immedietly jaws dropped and the mom and a few others asked for rides. Once again I wanted to share the dream and they all enjoyed their blasts around in the car. Once we were done helping we headed back and put the car away and hung out. Another night asleep at 2.
IMG_1487.jpg

And woke up at 6 to get the car to the track on time for the owner. The drive through the Sierras was really beautiful. I was lucky enough to be on highway 20 which was beautifully paved, trafficless, and a blast. This car just continued to amaze me. I didnt want to give the keys back when I got to Thunderhill Raceway. But I did In return however we immedietly went out for hot laps. Kicked the tail out nice and had a blast properly running the car in. I can honestly say I grew a new appreciation for the Vette and cant wait to get it back from the owner to detail.

IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_1496.jpg

IMG_1498.jpg

IMG_1502.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

IMG_1509.jpg

IMG_1504.jpg

IMG_1503.jpg

Oh and once I got home and passed out, I got a phone call from him... "I spun the car on the track, tore off the Carbon Fiber front splitter"... You mean the one I was OCD about not scrapping for 1300 miles???? Yea that one. Thanks.

Anyways thanks for reading or checking out the pictures. I really cant say how appreciative and lucky I am!

I would've been scared to leave the car at those motel and restaurant parking lots.
Helluva trip.

So where did Colorado start to get boring? :lol: It's pretty nice until you hit the Utah border, then the scenery along with the road quality falls quite a bit. :P

How does one trade in a $112,000 car for something that starts in the $40,000s? Say somehow a one year old ZR1 is worth $85k, I don't see a dealer giving you $20k and a car. :lol:

Fantastic story 👍 Lucky bloke, glad you enjoyed the drive.

How does one trade in a $112,000 car for something that starts in the $40,000s? Say somehow a one year old ZR1 is worth $85k, I don't see a dealer giving you $20k and a car. :lol:

It can happen - the dealer will probably be able to make a big profit on the 'Vette, so they'd be happy paying out for a lesser car - after all, the value they're selling the Lexus at will be greater than they paid for it.

I have no clue how the trade in worked, all I know is im glad it happened and I got it for as long as I did.

Seems like a movie, and almost like a comedy when you find out at the end that he destroyed the one piece you worked so hard to protect. :lol:

Seems like a movie, and almost like a comedy when you find out at the end that he destroyed the one piece you worked so hard to protect. :lol:

Not to mention if it was my car I would have taped up the front to avoid the bug and rock chip problem.

Really seems like the episode of top gear where Jeremy Clarkson took the ZR-1 to the salt flats in Bonneville. Awesome story though man, I'm sure not one you will ever forget.

Well it looks like he bought the car to actually drive it, so a big 👍 to him. Battle scars.

damn, what a experience. Envy, big time. Tell him to give you the front splitter as a memento, lol.

Glad you had a good time 👍, even more so that you didn't rack up any speeding tickets and you got a good story to tell about that splitter.

Did you take it to the open lot at Thunderhill? Last time I was there a guy in an Ford SVT F-150 smacked a wall and ended up leaving in a tow truck, a Camaro chipped a wheel, and a couple of guys in a 318i and a 240sx couldn't drift to save their lives.

I don't get how anyone could buy a ZR1 and not expect to be a little bit terrified - I mean look at the thing! Does look very nice in that shade of grey too, might I add. Interesting read and of course, very, very jealous 👍

I don't get how anyone could buy a ZR1 and not expect to be a little bit terrified - I mean look at the thing! Does look very nice in that shade of grey too, might I add. Interesting read and of course, very, very jealous 👍

I'm pretty sure a base C6 would be enough to scare me for a while. 400hp in a car like that is still a lot.

That's awesome! It's cool seeing that people actually drive these cars as opposed to making them museum items. 👍

Massive props for showing it off to kids and everyone else. That's how enthusiasts are born, getting to see the cool side of a good sports car (for me it was a 964 911). As boring as middle-class cars are getting these days, our future could use a little brightening up with aspiring automotive engineers. It doesn't happen nearly often enough with these rich clowns that rarely take their cars out, then never flex their toe beyond 3000 rpm when you do eventually catch a glimpse.

Glad you enjoyed Colorado!

Back