15 New Electric Concepts From Toyota

AudiMan2011

Scottish
Contributing Writer
Scotland
GTPlanet
Street-King-07
Quattro Saltire
Toyota have unveiled a huge stack of 15 new electric concept cars, with a target of 30 models and 3.5 million EV sales by 2030. The range includes small cars, family cars, SUVs and pickups, commerical vehicles, and most interestingly; a Lexus supercar that will apparently channel the spirit of the LFA, and a two seater Gazoo Racing sports car.

20211214-bev-45-s.jpg
20211214_BEV_33_s.jpg
20211214_BEV_39_s.jpg

I really like the pickup and the compact cruiser. Would be very cool if that Sports EV turned out to be the new MR2.

While these are really cool cars, I still couldn't see the appeal in electric vehicles from a "characteristic" standpoint. I guess I'm just not ready to say goodbye to ICE.

It's interesting that LFA inspired Lexus Sport EV reminds me so much like the FT1. Hopefully it will look better than the GR Supra.

Last edited:
While these are really cool cars, I still couldn't see the appeal in electric vehicles from a "characteristic" standpoint. I guess I'm just not ready to say goodbye to ICE.

It's interesting that LFA inspired Lexus Sport EV reminds me so much like the FT1. Hopefully it will look better than the GR Supra.
Which characteristic doesn’t appeal to you?

I see small EVs as the next step from kei cars. Kei cars have plenty character by their packaging. The EVs I mentioned in my post, have all that character. I’d say in a more silent(and probably quicker to legal road speeds) moving package.

Which characteristic doesn’t appeal to you?

I see small EVs as the next step from kei cars. Kei cars have plenty character by their packaging. The EVs I mentioned in my post, have all that character. I’d say in a more silent(and probably quicker to legal road speeds) moving package.
I'm gonna sound like an old person here but the characteristic I'm talking about is stuff like engine noise, performance, etc. I'm not saying that I hate EVs but I just haven't warm up to them yet.
I always see EVs as batteries powering the vehicles. All people are talking about are how fast these things go from a standstill or how much range they have.

But I don't know, feels like I'm talking a lot of crap honestly. It would be great if you guys can help me understand more about these stuff.

I'm gonna sound like an old person here but the characteristic I'm talking about is stuff like engine noise, performance, etc. I'm not saying that I hate EVs but I just haven't warm up to them yet.
I always see EVs as batteries powering the vehicles. All people are talking about are how fast these things go from a standstill or how much range they have.

But I don't know, feels like I'm talking a lot of crap honestly. It would be great if you guys can help me understand more about these stuff.
Nah. You can feel the way you feel. I understand some concerns about the noises, the sense of gears shifting, maybe controlling those aspects when it comes to performance. I’ve not driven a current EV since an experience in a Leaf, back in 2016.
For those that drive automatic transmission cars, it’s probably easy to grasp. Of course it’ll also be easy for any experienced driver to grasp EV operation. Probably only adapting to less mechanical noises. However, there are some ICE cars that can be whisper quiet compared to other ICE cars.
I don’t mind the quicker acceleration talk. Especially, when city speeds are only 30-60km/h.

I’ve only read, here, about some of the mishaps with EV power issues, in regards to accessing the vehicle. Network shutdown locking owners out of their cars, cold climate issues with doors frozen.
Recently, there was a matte black Tesla Model S, parked in the neighbourhood(it ain’t cheap to live where I live) for a few days. It wound up being flatbedded.

My major concern about charging, isn’t a concern, since a charging station is down the block from my place. I wholeheartedly look forward to not filling up with petrol, in my future.

I’ve only read, here, about some of the mishaps with EV power issues, in regards to accessing the vehicle. Network shutdown locking owners out of their cars, cold climate issues with doors frozen.
Recently, there was a matte black Tesla Model S, parked in the neighbourhood(it ain’t cheap to live where I live) for a few days. It wound up being flatbedded.
Network shutdown would be a major concern IMO. People could hack into these cars probably right?
I also keep thinking now that if by chance attery powered is the future, each car brands would lose their mechanical characteristics since it's all battery. There would be no comparison other than range, speed and exterior design. It would feel like people will compare EV like they're smartphones. Of course maybe each brands have their own unique features from the batteries?

Still, I don't know what I'm really talking about, I'm just a bit worried ever since I watched Savagegeese's LFA documentary. I mean the amount of mechanical they put into the car was amazing to me so seeing ICEs being slowly put to death kinda freaks me out. I couldn't see what would amazes me about the batteries in EVs yet. Hopefully I will.

Network shutdown would be a major concern IMO. People could hack into these cars probably right?
I also keep thinking now that if by chance attery powered is the future, each car brands would lose their mechanical characteristics since it's all battery. There would be no comparison other than range, speed and exterior design. It would feel like people will compare EV like they're smartphones. Of course maybe each brands have their own unique features from the batteries?

Still, I don't know what I'm really talking about, I'm just a bit worried ever since I watched Savagegeese's LFA documentary. I mean the amount of mechanical they put into the car was amazing to me so seeing ICEs being slowly put to death kinda freaks me out. I couldn't see what would amazes me about the batteries in EVs yet. Hopefully I will.
I’m sure members here have more info about the hacking concern.

Again, it’s about packaging. Autonomous features. Bells and whistles. Price.
The Ford Lightning is exiting to me. A big truck that has more power than a diesel, with much more storage space. I’d have nowhere to park such a thing, but it’s makes a whole lot of sense for what it can do without the ICE.

Toyota don’t play games. Probably depends on market, where some of these concepts show up. The potential is real.

That looks like an electric FJ. Toyota, can we please have an electric FJ? I'm asking nicely here.

The Lexus electrified concept and the Sports EV caught my intrigue. They really are trying to channel LFA vibes with the nose of the supercar concept, aren’t they? Not sure if it’s gonna be as time-proof as the LFA once the design ages, though.

For those of you who haven’t bothered to check the two sports cars’ side- and rear-views, I’ve taken some screen grabs after skimming through the briefing video (skip to 27:30 for the white supercar):

3BB228ED-4A0C-433D-A0D3-E28B4B6ACA12.png

BA01ECE7-0F8D-4ECF-8B90-4A4516A34161.png

A523CA51-0B73-4C81-9CFB-780461525BBA.png

Couldn’t find any images of the Sports EV’s rear, though.

Out of the concepts showcased, I'm mostly taken by this one of a potential Tesla competitor:

toyota-new-electric-cars-2021_35_1.jpg

Should Lexus put this saloon/liftback into production like this, I think they'll be on to a winner in the styling department. Manages to look less top-heavy than the Model 3 while avoiding the literal pig-headedness that has made the i4 so divisive.

Latest Posts

Back