1989 Vauxhall Nova

• Thread starter Elstro
  • 8 comments
England
Cambridge, UK
tdyln
Well as we're showing our rides off, may as well show my (admittedly unimpressive) one. Owned it for four years now. It's a poverty-spec Vauxhall Nova, with the pushrod 1.0 L engine. Yeah it won't win any drag races and I haven't glued heinous plastic bodykits to it. In fact I haven't done anything to it.

This year been using it in Sprinting and hillclimbing. Sure, come last in both events I've done but it's more for fun rather than winning any points.

Camera Roll-2100 by elstro_88, on Flickr

Sitting On The Leaves by elstro_88, on Flickr

GM 10S Engine by elstro_88, on Flickr

Still Dashing In 2012 by elstro_88, on Flickr

1984 Austin Mini and 1989 Vauxhall Nova by elstro_88, on Flickr

It's as old tech as possible even for an '80s econobox. Four-speed stick, manual choke carb engine, contact point ignition, zero electronics.

Not many of these left on the road now. Most of them were wrapped around trees or nicked in the 90s, as well as being the 'tuner' car of choice (read: kids) for a long while. Still has a bad rep amongst certain circles. I may well get laughed off the board for owning one LOL.

I do plan on modifiying it though now I've had it a while. Especially now I can insure it as a classic. Plans are some lowering springs and polybushes to improve the handling for hillclimbing and sprinting. Engine wise, just going to stick to a K&N filter and maybe a Cherry Bomb back box just to give it a meatier sound. Not many mods out there for the OHV engine and the 2 litre engine swap has been done to absolute death.

Looks-wise, get those crusty rotten arches welded to tidy it up mainly but my intention is to make it look American, inspired by stuff like the Chevrolet Celebrity Eurosport, Chevy Nova TwinCam etc, by getting vinyls of the model badge in red for the doors as well as making the bumper and rubbing strip inserts red. I'm planning on spraying the steels black (you cant run with trims in hillclimbing), and adding silver embellishers as well as colouring the tyre lettering white. All stuff that can be reversed later on.

Last edited:
An untouched Nova? Rarest car in Britain, bar none. :P

In seriousness though, it doesn't look in bad condition for its age, and its nice to see one that looks like it will stay relatively sane i.e. not filled with ICE, nor stripped out with a cage.

Excellent find. That looks to be in great shape for it's age.

Any action shots of the hillclimbs?

Looks like a great example of a now very-rare car. Glad to hear you'll be keeping it largely standard - old Novas, Fiestas and the like are now endangered examples of our motoring heritage. I'm quite glad the Nova has made a full turnaround too - as you say, it was once prime material for the awful bodykit brigade and many met their end at the hands of those owners.

>Wants to make it look American
>Chevy Nova Twincam (aka Toyota Corolla)

:P

Haha! I knew that! I meant the black-with-red colour scheme :P

Excellent find. That looks to be in great shape for it's age.

Any action shots of the hillclimbs?

Just had some emailed actually from a snapper at my last sprint a month ago.

Body roll FTW hahaha! Now I can see why kids lower them!

IMG_9491.jpg

45 lame mules at full gallop:
IMG_9493.jpg

JAcked up ride height:

IMG_9492.jpg

Probably my favourite shot this guy took:
IMG_9490.jpg

Sprinting and hillclimbing is a lot of fun and pretty cheap motorsport. You can use any car provided its in reasonable nick (after all you can see the state of mine!) and you're only racing yourself (your timed runs) so no danger of taking anyone out.

Yeah, adding the red like the Celebrity Eurosport and Nova Twincam would look good on your Nova because it already has that red pinstriping on it.

Sometimes I'm jealous with the variety of cars available across the pond. Everything here that is interesting is either hard to find, expensive, or a combination of both. Or just completely uninteresting and total piles of junk.

Yeah, adding the red like the Celebrity Eurosport and Nova Twincam would look good on your Nova because it already has that red pinstriping on it.

Sometimes I'm jealous with the variety of cars available across the pond. Everything here that is interesting is either hard to find, expensive, or a combination of both. Or just completely uninteresting and total piles of junk.

Funny thing is I feel the same way about older US cars, especially actually the ones you guys loathe. Yes, even a Chevrolet Citation.....*gets coat*.

But yeah, I forget that makes we take for granted are no longer sold Stateside eg Alfa, Peugeot et al.

Back