1990 NFC Championship Game as NFL's Greatest Games

BlackBeadyEyes

(Banned)
I'm a huge fan of NFL's Greatest Games on ESPN and NFL Network. I love it. Just love it to death. But I have to question the latest one they had; The 1986 AFC Divisional Playoff Game between the Jets and the Browns. I saw that a couple of weeks ago and I, quite frankly, did not find it worthy. I mean the game was kind of boring in a way. I didn't watch the entire thing (but I see the opening where they showed the end of the 1981? AFC Divisional Playoff Game between the Browns and the Raiders, in which the idiot Browns coach decided to go for it on 4th down down by two instead of the field goal), but I watched bits and pieces of it, and it just didn't catch my fancy, I'm sorry. I know it went into 2 overtimes and it was close and crap like that, but the game has not aged well with time, compared to the 1967 NFL Championship Game (The Ice Bowl) or the 1981 NFC Championship Game (The Catch/The Game-Saving Tackle, without it would be no catch). But there's one game that has stood the test of time and people who remember it still talk about today 17 Years after the final gun; The 1990 NFC Championship Game between the 49ers and the Giants. In fact, some can argue that it is even better than the Super Bowl that followed it. Anyway, here's some of the highlights

• The San Francisco 49ers were trying to win their 3rd straight NFC title and win their third straight Super Bowl, something that has never been done in the Super Bowl Era (since 1967)
  • The Giants were trying to win the Super Bowl with their backup quarterback after their starting quarterback went down in midseason
  • Both teams had started 10-0 and met each other in week 12? after they both lost the week before ( The 49ers won 7-3?, by the way)
  • The Giants won without scoring a touchdown only the 2nd (and last?) time in Conference Championship history that has happened
  • The great Joe Montana had his career basically ended on a blindside hit by Giants LB Carl Banks
  • Jerry Rice caught the only touchdown pass of the game
  • The 49ers lost the ball with just a little under a minute left on a fumble that led to the game winning field goal as time ran out
  • even NFL Films called it "One of the the most physical defensive games in NFL playoff history

Anyway, NFL Films has not done this game yet as part of NFL's Greatest Games, and I thinking about petatining NFL Films about doing this game, you know? I mean, it's long overdue. In fact, they should have done either this game or Super Bowl XXV when they first started doing this series.

So, what do you think? Please share your opinion.

Thanks! 👍

P.S. I was only five years old when this game was on, but from what I heard and seen, it should be talked about among the greatest games in NFL history.
In fact me and my best friend were talking about it, and the giants season, he said was comparable to Liverpool 2005 Champions' League run, but that's another topic for another time!:):sly:

I will never foget that game. The Giant-Cowboy game last night was
one for the ages, a hard faught nasty battle that went down to the last play of the game. But that Giant-49'er game just took my breath away - I remember being with several of my Giant friends, and when it came down to the last drive, I was sprawled out on the carpet, praying for a Giant victory.
The game was hard faught, and tense from the first play to the last, and when Bahr's winning kick sailed through the uprights, we were just out of our minds elated with joy. These were two truly great teams, playing a defensive war for the ages. Yes, this should be put out there by NFL films without question. Montana, for all his greatness, was 0-3 lifetime against The Giants in the playoffs.

Back