• Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
1992-1998, 2007+ Light Car Company Rocket nominated by gtpanoz

LCC_Rocket_Snetterton.jpg

Stats:
Production: 1992-1998, 2007+
Style: 0-door roadster
Engine: 61 ci/1,002 cc inline 4 (rated 143 HP & 77 lb-ft), 70 ci/1,150 cc inline 4 (rated 171 HP & ??? lb-ft)
Transmission: 5-speed sequential, 6-speed sequential
Layout: Mid-engine, Rear-drive​

Going to hold off voting on this and deliberate further. Heart says cool, as it's basically a race car for the road. Head says uncool, as you'd look a bit of a plank driving one around. And "meh" is a cop-out, so it has to be one or the other.

Meh. A great little car with Gordon Murray's input. But looks ridiculous IMO. Having to wear a helmet in a road car is seriously uncool.

I'd gladly use Meh for a car whose cool and uncool properties cancel each other out. If a car is actually boring enough to qualify as Meh, I'd say that's really kind of uncool.

Uncool. Between the Gran Turismo connection and that it looks like a race car for the road, there's nothing cool about it. Doesn't mean I wouldn't want a go in one though.

Cool on the track, seriously uncool on the road.

I'll go for the middle ground and say Uncool, merely because imagine trying to explain the thing!

Looks great for a track and would most likely drive great on one. But you'd look such a tit driving one on the road.

Even grounds on this one. Meh.

Designed by Gordon Murray? Drives like a 60's F1 Car? The last car built with pop-up headlights? Sub-Zero.

It's a sub-zero trackday car with loads of grips and a gritty sounding high-revving motorcycle engine. Styling and not looking like a dweeb on the road are two highly overrated concepts!

There are better track day cars out there and they don't look as silly as this does. The BAC Mono does the road-going single seater thing better.

Uncool.

It's a sub-zero trackday car with loads of grips and a gritty sounding high-revving motorcycle engine. Styling and not looking like a dweeb on the road are two highly overrated concepts!

As long as you don't mind not being able to make friends and your current friends being embarrassed to be around you. Which is rather the whole point of the cool wall, how cool a car is, not how good it is.

Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

PLEASE OH PLEASE SOMEONE GET THAT REFERENCE, IT'S KILLING ME. :D

On topic: It'd be the same reason I'll vote the SLR Stirling Moss Uncool: you have to invest in something to cover your eyes. I want to drive it with my head free of anything with hair flowing backwards please, like what i do with my MX-5. I like Gordon Murray, and the car on the whole, but lack of practical usage is what i had in mind.

And getting stuck. I'm about as wide as the average Jeremy Clarkson.

It's trying to hard to be a old race car.

It's pointless for almost everything. It's nothing more than an "accessory" for someone who is rich.

Based on this alone, it should be at least uncool. Sorry, doesn't really do much for me. There's much better options out there for a track car.

As long as you don't mind not being able to make friends and your current friends being embarrassed to be around you. Which is rather the whole point of the cool wall, how cool a car is, not how good it is.

The "coolness" of a car is a very subjective matter, and you can't reduce it to factors that you deem important but others may not, like the ability to sustain social interactions after you're seen driving the car in exam. To me, a car that is as stupid but fun to drive as the Rocket is as cool as any stylish and practical coolmobile.

Besides, not every car has to be a daily-driven.

The Caterham is for geeks, the KTM is a motorcyle with four wheels, the Morgan three-wheeler is a joke, and the Ariel...well, the Ariel looks okay.

The LCC is at least the second-best track car.

...the Morgan three-wheeler is a joke...
The problem here is that you're comparing what are basically track-only cars built for speed and grip to something built to honor Morgan's history. It was clearly not designed for racing, if it was, they'd have stuck another wheel on there.

I voted uncool, I had the same dilemma as @homeforsummer but I went with uncool because you'll just look a tool driving one around town. A car for one passenger isn't very cool even if it's a ton of fun on the track. There's a reason James Bond drive two seater Astons.

It's pointless for almost everything. It's nothing more than an "accessory" for someone who is rich.
You mean like a Shelby GT500? It's not pointless for the track, it's lightweight and goes like crazy.
Based on this alone, it should be at least uncool. Sorry, doesn't really do much for me. There's much better options out there for a track car.
I dunno. Guess it depends on what kind of track you're driving on and what kind of track driving you want to do. There's things like the Ariel Atom, KTM X-Bow and such, but they're all pretty much in the same niche. I'm just curious as to what you see as better options for a track car, because it's hard to see too many vehicles outperforming something with 140hp that weighs less than 400kg.

You mean like a Shelby GT500? It's not pointless for the track, it's lightweight and goes like crazy.

You are right, it's not pointless for the track, it does what it does good but it's pointless for anyone that wants something that's also practical for off-the-track use.

I dunno. Guess it depends on what kind of track you're driving on and what kind of track driving you want to do. There's things like the Ariel Atom, KTM X-Bow and such, but they're all pretty much in the same niche. I'm just curious as to what you see as better options for a track car, because it's hard to see too many vehicles outperforming something with 140hp that weighs less than 400kg.

Those are great at what they do yes, but personally I would think for the money people would choose something like a Miata long before they pick one of these.

It does what it does good, but at the end of the day the average joe simply won't buy one of these if they want to track a car. I would think there are more interesting cars like a Camaro or something that people tend to pick. I should have made that point clear in my previous post when you talk money.

Back