1999 Toyota TS020 GT-One - why the sponsor change?

• Thread starter ajrichar
  • 6 comments
Hi all, this is something that's been bugging me for ages.

The 1999 TS020 Toyota GT-One #3 ran at Le Mans with the sponsor Esso Ultron on both the front and over its rear bodywork.

TTE.jpg

In Gran Turismo 4, the car was reproduced in its proper livery, as you can see here (although with the 1999 Le Mans door plates replaced by Gran Turismo ones):

GT4.jpg

However, we come to Gran Turismo 6 (and I believe GT5 also did this), and the sponsorship now reflects Exxon Superflo - which is historically inaccurate. This change in sponsor also seems to afflict the car's recreation in the Forza series too, which suggests to me that it's a licencing issue.

GT6.jpg

Does anyone know for certain whether this is the case? It's a major irritant, as any photograph you take in-game of the car shows an inaccurate sponsor. The TS020 is one of my all-time favourite race cars, so to see it like this is frustrating (first world problems, I know).

Yes,
Do you not understand how licensing works?

I do understand how licensing works, but what I don't understand is why the sponsors had to change? There was no alcohol or tobacco sponsorship, but I can only assume that Esso was bought out by Exxon?

Do you have any insight into this?

Yes,

I do understand how licensing works, but what I don't understand is why the sponsors had to change? There was no alcohol or tobacco sponsorship, but I can only assume that Esso was bought out by Exxon?

Do you have any insight into this?

I don't know the answer, but Exxon, Esso and Mobil are all brands owned by ExxonMobil - they tend to use different brand names in different markets / territories.

It's not a licensing problem. The problem is that ExxonMobil doesn't have rights to use "Esso" brand in the U.S.
Since GT5, PD uses the same game datas and codes for all region and PD had to replace Esso logo with Exxon.
I personally hate Exxon Superflo logo on the beautiful TS020 and hope it gets corrected in the future.

It's not a licensing problem. The problem is that ExxonMobil doesn't have rights to use "Esso" brand in the U.S.
Since GT5, PD uses the same game datas and codes for all region and PD had to replace Esso logo with Exxon.
I personally hate Exxon Superflo logo on the beautiful TS020 and hope it gets corrected in the future.

Ahhh, thanks zztmktn for that.

I find it frustrating, if what you say above is true, that we're stuck with an incorrect livery because of licensing arrangements in one territory. It's not like tobacco sponsorship and the legalities surrounding the advertising of cigarette branding.

Cheers

Back