• Thread starter Hun200kmh
  • 21 comments
Portugal
Lisboa
FLAT_TWELVE
realteam-lm24.jpg

1h40 (100 minutes) of LE MANS
June 11 2023

Ok, so after a few grueling events (LMP2 at Daytona, GT3 at the Norsdchleife, Group C at Brno) we'll try an easy one :D

These are the main settings:

Track - LE MANS (current version)

Cars available for the human racers to use - LMP2

Setups available - YES

Damage - PERFORMANCE IMPACTING

AI cars - YES (skill/aggression settings tbd)

Multiclass - YES but only available to the AI (LMP1, LPM2 and GTE)

Day/Night/Day cycle - YES

Lobby - PRIVATE / Invite Only - Opens at 20h30 (UK Time)

Free Practise - 20h30 (UK time) - 30 minutes

Quali - No quali, Random Grid

Race - Rolling Start at 21h00 (UK Time)

Weather - 4 slots, to be decided, but the track will always be dry

Fuel consumption - YES

Tyre Wear - Accelerated

Track Limits - ON

Everyone's welcome. The core group amounts to about half of the grid so many places available, don't make me fill'em all with AI cars! ;), we try to be fair and aim at some competence, but we do blunder sometimes and surely none of us possesses alien skills so this is mostly aimed at fun, no matter what the end result turns out to be!

If interested please post here. If not my PSN Friend, please send me a friend request (FLAT TWELVE) so I can send out the invites after opening the lobby.

So ... let's watch the real thing this weekend and top it by sunday's end with our very own Le Mans race!

See you there :gtpflag:

Last edited:
don't make me fill'em all with AI cars!
Okay then, you can inscribe my name on your inscription.

I maybe going out but should be back in plenty of time for the race. I'm not sure but I'll probably use the Oreca Nissan. It's the slowest LMP2 but I quite like it. There won't be much of a strategy, more of a jump in and hope for the best.

I'm sure the computer controlled driver will stand in for me during a potion of the race. The fact that it's remaining dry will help with that.

Ok, I've had a few questions asked about event settings so I'm going to write here a full "event details" post in case anyone wonders about any particulars

1 - EVENT SETTINGS

A) LOBBY AND RULES/PENALTIES
  • Private Lobby - Invite only
  • Fill vacant slots with AI - Yes (16 cars on the grid regardless of how many human players)
  • Wait for race ready - On
  • Rules & Penalties - On
  • Track Limit Penalties - On
  • Allowable Time Penalty - 30
  • Drive Through Penalties - Off
  • Pit Exit Penalty - Off
  • Competitive Racing License - Off
B) RACE AND REALISM SETTINGS
  • Track is "Le Mans"
  • Rolling Start
  • Allow Auto Start Engine -Yes
  • Force Interior view - No
  • Force Driving Line Off - No
  • Force Default Setups - No
  • Force Manual Gears - No
  • Force Realistic Driving Aids - No
  • Allow Anti Lock Brakes - Yes
  • Allow Traction Control - Yes
  • Allow Stability Control - No
  • Damage Type - Performance Impacting
  • Mechanical Failures - Yes
  • Allow Ghosted Vehicles - No
  • Force Manual Pit stops - Yes
  • Pit Stop Errors - No
  • Tire Wear - Accelerated
  • Fuel Depletion - On
  • Force cool down Lap - Yes
C) WEATHER:
  • Weather will change during the race, and conditions may be challenging, but it won't rain.
  • An approximate weather forecast will be given to all competitors as soon as Free Practise begins.
D) TIME OF DAY
  • Will be accelerated to simulate a 24 hours cycle, so there will be day, night, day
E) HUMAN DRIVEN CARS
  • Race will be multiclass, with LMP1, LMP2 and GTE cars sharing the track
  • Human driven cars must be LMP2 (any of the available cars)
  • All players must start the race but all can, at any given time, give their car to AI control. To do this, you must use the pop up menu (that is activated while racing using the D-Pad) and set the "SWAP DRIVER" option to "ON". When you do this, the next time you go to the pits the AI will take over the car after it has been serviced. You will still be watching your car being raced and you have control over what you are seeing, you can change or adjust your pit strategy, change the brake balance, etc, And most importantly you can call the car back to the pits. When you do so, and if you want to regain control of the driving, be sure to set the "SWAP DRIVER" again to "ON". And the car will be yours to drive after being serviced.
F) AI DRIVEN CARS

• The field will, regardless of how many human entrants, always have 16 cars, the AI will fill all available slots. Skill and aggression levels still to be decided, I'd like them to be slower than the average human but not by much so they still pose a challenge (they dont get to crash and collect damage often so they have an advantage there). Be careful around them and don't act as if they are just inconvenient pushovers, more often than not when an AI car collides with a human-driven car, it is the latter that comes off worse.
G) Random words of advice (consider this a pre-race briefing)
  • DAMAGE is set to Performance Impacting so ... be careful out there!
  • PITS are fully manual. This means you will still be driving your car inside the pit lane, and you must be the one parking it in your pit stall. It is best if you don't have a "pit limiter" button set because then the game will activate the limiter for you (same happens with headlights and windshield wipers, but people usually like to have full control over them). My guess is that this will be a 2 pitstop race (bar any need for repairs) but some of you guys may be genius at saving fuel and tyres.
  • SETUPS are open. Since there are many cars available and I don't even know yet what I will use I can't tell you what works or not. But keep in mind these few pointers:
    • Fuel - Use your own testing to understand how much fuel you use per lap and do the math to minimize time lost in the pits. Whatever the case I suggest you start with a full tank and work how many liters to add in the number of stops you must do.
    • Tyres - Soft or Hard (grip vs durability) is a VERY debatable option, I guess in normal conditions hards would do the entire race and that's exactly why I set the tyre wear to "accelerated". Then again, you guys play strategists and figure out whatever it is that you want to do.
    • Downforce/Gear ratios - From previous experience, LMP2s at Le Mans don't need downforce at all, so my advice is that you guys go with zero front and zero back. Remember to work on the gears though, or else you may find your self limited in top speed (and damaging your engine by hitting the rev limiter very often)
    • Brake Balance and Engine Braking - These settings relate to they way we drive so go with whatever makes you feel comfortable
    • Brake ducts and Engine Cooling - I suppose you can close them up a litle - supposedly they will heat more but the top speed increases. Front brakes tend to overheat, especially in the braking for Mulsanne corner, but the long straights give them room to cool off. With the engine you'll want to be careful, or else the car will lose power and the pitstops will last longer even if you never crashed.
  • PIT STRATEGY - Correctly choosing when to change tyres, when to pit according to their wear or weather conditions, how much fuel to add, what to do about damage (the headlights must always be fixed, and there's possible engine damage depending on how you drive and whatever setup you created) is crucial in a long race.
    • ALSO ... please make sure you understand how to set your RACE STRATEGY in the pre-race screen and most importantly how to change, adjust, switch to another, while in the actual race.

• FREE PRACTISE - Practise will start when I open the lobby at about 20h30 (UK) and it will last 30 minutes. It will have night and dawn so you adjust to both conditions. You don't need to take part, but be sure to enter the lobby at least 10 minutes before the end of the practise session, or else the game won't allow you to load the track in time to join the race.

• QUALIFYING - There will be no qualifying, we will start with a random grid.

• RACE - This one you must enter (and as stated abover, to enter the race you must be in-lobby before the end of practise!)

Racers with entries already submitted

1 - Flat Twelve
2 - @GTP_RPREGO
3 - raeggee
4 - @IfAndOr
5 - jmpa_prego
6 - @PANDACoff33
7 - PEDALFOOT_BEAN
8 - @half_sourly

I already know @tal and @Madbigdog won't be able to join this time.

And I'll link here many of the current and old crew just so I'm sure everyone notices this thread. If/when you guys read this consider entering

@Napalm_LT
@richroo
@Pantheons
@Zolon32
@Oldbass47
@beachboy6658
@John Wells
@xeronima
@Maxmusmonster
@Don Mejillone
@Saltyjoe90
@AndreasR
@jammy21
@slthree

Any other gtplanet forum members that might be interested in this, just post your interest and you'll be welcome.

Last edited:
Count me in Mario. I'm away on holiday but will be back in time for the race, albeit with limited to no practice and certainly no strategy planning.

I've got to say that Pedalfoot_bean is a great name. He (she) should be allowed to win just because of that. 😄

I'm almost certainly taking the Oreca. It's to damn hot to be driving anything with a roof on. Wind in my hair sort of thing.

Pedalfoot_bean is an american I met sometime ago in open lobbies. Noticed him as both fast and fair racer so sent him a PSN message for this and I'm glad he'll join. I guess for americans a late sunday race isn't a problem because it'll be mid afternoon for them.

Edit - Fantastic action at the real Le Mans, of course now it's very early to assess what will happen, but it truly appears that we have a few teams able to win (mainly Toyota, Cadillac and Porsche, but Peugeots aren't far from them)

Last edited:
Pedalfoot_bean is an american I met sometime ago in open lobbies. Noticed him as both fast and fair racer so sent him a PSN message for this and I'm glad he'll join. I guess for americans a late sunday race isn't a problem because it'll be mid afternoon for them.

Edit - Fantastic action at the real Le Mans, of course now it's very early to assess what will happen, but it truly appears that we have a few teams able to win (mainly Toyota, Cadillac and Porsche, but Peugeots aren't far from them)
You forgot to mention the WINNER!
Forza Ferrari!

Fantastic race!
I started upfront, but soon both reaggee and FLAT caught me. FLAT was too optimistic and tried to pass me in the Dunlop corner, we both made a short gravel trip (17:00 to 17:30 in the YouTube video of previous post)...

Afterwards, long cruise in 3rd place until the pitstops.I don't know why, my pit crew didn't change tires... had to nurse them until 39mins to go.

I thought the race was done, but then I passed reaggee for P2 after his 2nd stop. Just had to keep enough fuel to finish and race a Flying Last Lap!

Lovely experience, excelent Le Mans tribute! Count me in next time!

Last edited:
live_timing.jpg

My race highlights:
  • Pushed off the track on lap 1 at the S ahead of Tetre Rouge, I think by AI. No damage.
  • Down Mulsanne realised my setup (longer gears, almost no downforce) had not taken and my top speed was severely limited. This happened in free practice too, but there I could go back to pits, open and close the setup page (which confirmed I had the right setup and no settings had changed) and then it worked.
  • Slight off ahead of Tetre Rouge. No damage.
  • First pitstop the pit crew ignored my request to swap tyres. Fortunately I was on hard and they had life left.
  • Early night through Porsche was met by whomever was driving the Hun200 account sideways across the road. That was when @Pedalfoot said someone hit him hard, so presume related. Well I obviously hit Hun pretty hard. Huge damage, so limped back for an unscheduled pitstop.
  • Around early morning I think, Hun200 had an unconventional pass on an AI ahead of Tetre Rouge which caused the AI and me to make contact - suspension damage. Limped back to the pit for another unscheduled pitstop. Put some softs on to at least register a slightly more decent lap-time.

Thanks for organising the race Mario. :cheers:

• Early night through Porsche was met by whomever was driving the Hun200 account sideways across the road. That was when @Pedalfoot said someone hit him hard, so presume related. Well I obviously hit Hun pretty hard. Huge damage, so limped back for an unscheduled pitstop.
  • Around early morning I think, Hun200 had an unconventional pass on an AI ahead of Tetre Rouge which caused the AI and me to make contact - suspension damage. Limped back to the pit for another unscheduled pitstop. Put some softs on to at least register a slightly more decent lap-time.
@half_sourly, @Pedalfoot, on behalf of my friend who was driving, my most sincere apologies! He's pretty used to sim racing, but he was new to PCars2 and ended up having very little time to practice before and getting adjusted to the overall behaviour of things like FFB and the car physics itself. He made a few mistakes, had some unfortunate crashes and was feeling bad for the people that were involved in his mishaps. I specifically remember him speaking of the Porsche curves incident, he said he panic reacted to something, maybe a slow car or someone spining, and made a mess of that, both for himself and whomever was coming behind. Anyway, it was unfortunate and I'm very sorry.

Despite the incidents though, he still said he liked the event and was looking forward to taking part in them again in the future if he was allowed, and also promised to make sure he was a bit more up to speed from the start to keep these avoidable incidents from happening again.

On my side of things, I made a mess of my own driving as well, had two crashes, both on my own though, both on the right kink just before indianapolis. The first one prompted an immediate visit to the pits, the second I managed to get away with minor aero damage and a slightly bent wheel. Immediately after this second incident Reaggae got by me, and thus, my only noteworthy highlight, I ended up doing the last two laps glued to his gearbox! I would love to say I didn't try any overtakes because I was a lap down and didn't want to risk ruining his race for no good reason, but the truth is I never really had a run good enough to try it anyway (safely at least hehe)!

@Hun200kmh thank you for organising! Already looking forward to the next one!

Cheers all

Last edited:
My race started out pretty well. My tweaks to the Oreca had made it quite competitive, it wasn't loosing too much speed on the straights and I was generally keeping up with the cars around me. Quite enjoying myself.

However a few laps into the race I decided to make a few adjustments via the in-car menu. As you know this can be quite fiddly and I probably didn't pick the best time to do this, because I just came out of the chicanes and began to accelerate onto the start straight, glanced down at the menu and then looked back up and there was @Pedalfoot right in front of me! I think he might have been recovering from an off track moment because the contact from my approach speed caused his car to launch into the air!

So very sorry Pedalfoot, it's not like me, but I'm afraid I couldn't miss you. 🫣
I think you came off much worse, my car had very little damage, strangely. I'd have apologised at the time but I'd taken my headphones off.

I felt bad so that as a penance I pitted, had the minor damage repaired and then let the AI driver take over much earlier than intended. I then went to feed the cat, who had been trying to sit on my lap, which was another problem! My thought was that the AI driver would be slower and probably loose spots but when I eventually returned to the screen I found it was actually lapping faster than me. So I left it running for awhile longer and made a coffee. My penance didn't quite work as intended. 🙂

So that was it really. For the final 30ish minutes it was me at the wheel again. My AI and some of me managed to finish 7th without any further incidents and no further damage.

Cheers Mario.

Last edited:
Well, before I recap my own race let me thank everyone that took part, I understand for some it wasn't as fun as it should be, I just hope whatever the experience it won't take you from other future mini endurance races with some severe settings like damage and tricky weather conditions. My aim is to make everyone like this kind of racing (it's the one I love the most to do) even if I understand we can't have it often, just the odd event every few months.

I also understand the AI is always a tricky thing to adjust to, I had decided to get rid of them if we had at least 10 participants but we fell one short of that number so Ikept them in. To be entirely honest I still think they add something to these races (traffic and/or benchmark in laptimes for us) ad I think I have found a pretty decent setting for this race (although, granted, Le Mans is an easy track to share with AI cars considering how wide it is and how long the straights are).

Also frustrating are the quirks/inconsistencies of this game that get us if we dont check and even DOUBLE-check everything. Namely the setup bug that caught out @half_sourly. We shouldn't have to load it every time we start a race, but sometimes and for some reason the settings are lost (or aren't loaded again as they should) between sessions. It's also annoying that we must re-activate the pit strategy for every new session of the same lobby and event.

Now, my own recap of the race. I will mention or comment the important moments, I will time-stamp them is in relation to my Youtube stream video posted above so you can check there what the hell I'm talking about! :P

00:01:00 - Pre -system checks (reload setup, re-activate pit strategy)

00:01:55 - Race start, very VERY careful going into Dunlop Chicane

00:02:30 - @half_sourly vs the AI :D - I'd say with Andy Garton it's racing incident and that Charles Mader was just an innocent victim of an unsafe reentry :D :D

After these first few - and always eventful - corners I clawed my way up the field until I got to 3rd, after clearing the best placed AI driver. By then raeggee (1st) and @GTP_RPREGO (2nd) were already 10 seconds ahead, so all I could do was try to close that gap.

00:13:20 - raeggee spun at Dunlop while leading. Regained the track in 2nd, with me right behind. This allowed me to chase him after Tretre Rouge and, by using draft, I overtook him into the first chicane (00:14:15). So I got 2nd at that moment, with @GTP_RPREGO leading.

00:17:00 to 00:17:30 - This is the bit where @GTP_RPREGO thinks I was an optimist, while I think I was just lucky that he didn't crash us both by not "leaving me da space!", as Alonso would put it. We both went off into the gravel trap, he spun, I didn't, raeggee got back into the lead, I remained 2nd, Ricardo 3rd.

00:23:30 - Still chasing raeggee I spun at Arnage and hit the wall. Wasn't a big shunt and didn't get much damage in numbers, but the car became clearly unbalanced and I decided not to risk a second heavier shunt while trying to drive a damaged car. This would wreck an ideal 2-stop pit strategy but then again in a race with damage this was to be expected.

00:24:30 - Entered the pits for a full service (tryres, topping the tank and repair all damage)

00:26:00 - left the pits in 6th place, some 1m30secs behind the leader (raeggee). in 5th was @PANDACoff33 , a nice surprise considering his relatively short time playing this game.

00:29:30 - Back to 5th, because @PANDACoff33 pitted. raeggee and @GTP_RPREGO still 1st and 2nd, two AI cars after in 3rd and 4th.

00:33:20 - Back to 3rd after the AIs pitted. Wasn't gaining much on the leader, still 1m20secs to recover

00:40:45 - Back to 2nd (@GTP_RPREGO pitted). still a 1m10secs gap between me and the race leader

00.44:30 - FIRST TIME LEADING THE RACE (but it's nothing to be proud about, just that raeggee pitted, probably shouldn't have used the caps lock and red ink :P). @GTP_RPREGO managed an undercut so after all pitting he was 2nd and raeggee 3rd.

01:03:25 - Noticed that Ricardo pitted for a 2nd time, not sure why. Still he left the pits in 3rd place

1:06:40 - My second pitstop, everything ok, new tyres, tank full, no damage. Left in second, some 17 seconds behind raeggee and about 30 secs in front of @GTP_RPREGO

1:22:00 - Pushing as much as I could to catch raeggee (I still feared I would need a 3rd pitstop) I did two consecutive FL in the 3:37's but threw it all away when I spun on my own at the Dunlop Chicane. Thankfully didn't hit anything and got no damage from this.

1:25:00 - raeggee pits. 16 race-minutes to go and that brings me back into the lead (no caps this time, just the red ink:D). At this moment I was still unsure I had to pit again for fuel (which would put me back behind raeggee ) but I noticed that he got a 10 seconds penalty entering the pits (speed probably) and I thought "well, thanks for the cushion, I may need that" . But since Ricardo was now 2nd and I had no idea if he had to pit again (as it turned out, he hadn't , and didn't ) I still didn't feel safe.

1:30:40 - With 11 race-minutes to go and an obvious need to pit for fuel again it was time to consider my options and maximise my chances, so I dived into the in-car strategy menus to change my pitstop to a splash&dash. You can see me going through the menus down the Mulsanne straight ...

1:31:35 - ... and go off at the Musanne corner because of this! :dopey:

1:32:00 - with everything set I called the pits

1:33:00 - Pit entry

1:34:00 - Pit exit. Still in the lead, by a mere 14 seconds, with 7 minutes to go!

1:41:15 - Last lap. Did a "Verstappen" and went for FL so not to lose concentration. Was helped by drafting a GT car down Mulsanne, reached 322 KMH!!!!

1:44:50 - Race end, with a 3:36,428 lap (1 full second faster than the previous FL). :gtpflag:

Once again, thank you all, enjoyed reading the reviews, hope we do something like this again in the future!

Last edited:
Back