2 cones - trackside

• Thread starter torque99
  • 14 comments
England
England
Since the beta I think they have added 2 cone markers to every track braking zone. There then follows just 1 cone marker for the turn in as the braking points. Do you all use these 2~1 cones for your braking areas? I only just realised they were there! (Very Helpful they are!)đź‘Ť
2017-11-13_181020.jpg

I've used those cones to set my lap-times for the sports mode. The work really well, and you can learn the track more easily. Also its a helpful hint when you need to brake later or earlier, based on how much speed you were able to carry since the last corner. If you're drafting behind someone, brake earlier, if you messed up the corner, brake later.

I've found these cones easier to use rather than rumble strips and track side markers for braking point references.

There's also one cone at the apex, and exit.
I play on Expert, and they come default with that setting, so I never cared to disable them. I like them for tracks where I don't have the break points down pat yet. However, in my experience, if you break properly, i.e. shift the weight of the car, and build up force gradually instead of slamming the breaks, you are safe to break beyond those markers.
I think the markers for apex, and exit are actually more helpful, because they aid you in increasing cornering speed.

They usually don’t last long in Sport races.
I think they are reset from time to time.

the key that I found was using the blue turning markers. I try not to initiate my turn until my rear bumper reaches the blue marker... generally that appears to be the limit relative to my reaction time. between the double cones and the turn indicators, you begin to realize how deep you are supposed to go into a turn, as the blue marker does account for ideal late apex turns even if the apex marker doesn't.

I wish they were virtual cones. The number of races I start only to find my braking markers strewn around the track. Especially annoying as I can hit them and unsettle my car!
Half the time at Sazuka the apex markers on the last chicane get taken out before the race even starts during autodrive.

I wish they were virtual cones. The number of races I start only to find my braking markers strewn around the track. Especially annoying as I can hit them and unsettle my car!
It is a good thing that track debris is interactive đź‘Ť

Yes I was using that cones as reference. 2 cones full brake, 1 cone start turning.

IIRC previous Sport Mode races does include these cones. But now they are not. (I haven't checking the assist option for a while, can someone confirm?)

There's also one cone at the apex, and exit.
I play on Expert, and they come default with that setting, so I never cared to disable them. I like them for tracks where I don't have the break points down pat yet. However, in my experience, if you break properly, i.e. shift the weight of the car, and build up force gradually instead of slamming the breaks, you are safe to break beyond those markers.
I think the markers for apex, and exit are actually more helpful, because they aid you in increasing cornering speed.

I think they are reset from time to time.
I race expert too and never realized they were aids until I drove the ring.. they stuck out like a sore thumb so I turned em off. I just rely on the racing groove mostly.. just for athestics tho.

I use them and I enjoy them.
I'm sure eventually I'll turn them off, but for the meantime they help me race faster, and they help me not overshoot my corners - potentially stopping me from unintentionally ruining other drivers races.

Win/win in my book.

It is a good thing that track debris is interactive đź‘Ť

Except you can turn them off which means they aren’t there for everyone, and therefore don’t pose a risk for people using the blue turn in markers but not the cones. Worse, people who don’t have them on can still hit them and knock them (unintentionally) into the track which poses a hazard for people who do have them on.

They should definitely not unsettle the car like they do when you hit them in the middle of the road. Or at least make them react to the car, but not the car react to them. I’m almost at a point where I’m going to turn them off because of how many times I’ve been caught out by one sitting in the driving line as I come flying around a corner.

Use them to adjust your marks in free practice but don't rely on them being there all the time. You should be looking for immovable, on-track markers while you are doing that. The fact there's no time change (yet) is super helpful in that regard.

For example, I know on the downhill on DPY I brake a little before the double cones so as not to run off into the wall. But I also know on the evening time/weather it is near the first shadow. Or the little flag on the left into Degner on Suzuka. I can't tell you how many people I've passed just because I can keep a consistent braking marker while they miss because the cones are gone.

Back