2 Xboxs/2 routers and Open Nat??

• Thread starter katpeeler
  • 20 comments
80710A06
katpeeler
Ok.....got a nerd question that I have been struggling with. On a normal day I have 1 Xbox (wired) on 1 router with a open NAT which is what I want. During the summer my son shows up with his Xbox (wireless) and we run into issues with 1 Xbox runing open NAT and the second Xbox runing moderate/Strick NAT. I have found that what ever Xbox is turned on first is the one that gets the open NAT.

I know this question can be answered with a Google search but I have yet to find something that works. And plus there are some real a-holes on tech sites and nothing but good guys in here;) And I have spent HOURS on this trying to figure this out where my son just has to deal with it if Im playing.

But I am soon to be adding another router to the network because I have run out of wired ports. And Im courous if anyone out there is running 2 routers with open NATs on 2 Xboxs??.....It would seem that I could assign one Xbox to one router....Any direction would be appreciated...BTW Im running a Cisco router if that helps

I only have one xbox on my router, but i had to manually change it myself because i was getting a moderate/strict NAT and i couldnt join games, or even private chat with my friends. Im not sure if having 2 xbox's would be any different, I would use this video, and set it up on the wireless xbox.

Re-edit:

Hopefully i understood the question, I have my beer googles on. One thing though, the video may not show the same type of router company as you but as long as you understand it, it shouldnt be hard to find the settings the person is talking about if you use a different service.

And if i didnt understand the question right, disregard. haha

I think you should do the following:

- make sure both Xboxes have a static IP address assigned
- make sure no other device can get any of those two IP addresses assigned by DHCP (bind them to the MAC address of the Xboxes)

How to do it exactly depends on your router model, but if you need help let me know.

Right now I suspect the first Xbox that is turned on gets a dynamically assigned IP address which happens to be the one that is configured for open NAT. Most routers "remember" which MAC address had which IP address previously and stick to it (the lease is not expired yet). The second Xbox gets another IP address that is closed (which is the default setting on any router I know of)

I (sort of) had the same problem at my house, where there are two computers, a laptop and three Android phones on a wireless network. I had to make sure only my Xbox would get a certain IP address from my router and also set this IP address static in the Xbox network settings.

But can I assign 2 seperate IP address to each xbox??.....But like I said, I plan on buying another Cisco router for more ports and was going to assign one xbox to one and another to the other.......

Moved because I thought it was in the wrong place

Yes, you can assign a separate IP address to each device. By default, your router is 192.168.0.1 and starts dishing out IP addresses from 192.168.0.100 and upwards. Mind you, these IP addresses are internal to your home network. They cannot be seen from outside your network, but are used by your router to distinguish between various devices. You can use as many IP addresses as you like. The IP address that is seen from outside your network is a single IP address assigned to your router by your provider.

I had 2 of my 3 sons here for awhile last winter, we ran:
Wired: 1 xbox, 1 PS3, 2 desktops (running Starcraft)
Wireless: Ipad, 2 macbooks
All on the same router. I've never assigned any IP addresses to anything. Let the router do it. Mind you we are running with extremely fast cable so bandwidth is not an issue.

I had 2 of my 3 sons here for awhile last winter, we ran:
Wired: 1 xbox, 1 PS3, 2 desktops (running Starcraft)
Wireless: Ipad, 2 macbooks
All on the same router. I've never assigned any IP addresses to anything. Let the router do it. Mind you we are running with extremely fast cable so bandwidth is not an issue.

The thing is though, when the router automatically assigns one of his xbox's, it gives him a strict/moderate NAT which doesnt allow him to use the 360 features to its fullest. He explained that in the first post.

KATPEELER is your issue with voice and headphones?
(Others on here have issues with their and headphones, so they don't use a mic.)

It takes some configuring to get two routers to work properly on one home network.

I'm not sure the issues aren't with the capablities of the Xbox rather than networks. Or it may just be your router, some brands do not allow NAT for two xboxes.(All my kids use headphones and mic while playing, Starcraft, Diablo 111, with no problems.We use an "N" DLink)

Good for you to take on the project, good luck

KATPEELER is your issue with voice and headphones?
(Others on here have issues with their and headphones, so they don't use a mic.)

It takes some configuring to get two routers to work properly on one home network.

I'm not sure the issues aren't with the capablities of the Xbox rather than networks. (All my kids use headphones and mic while playing, Starcraft, Diablo 111, with no problems.)
Good for you to take on the project, good luck

His issue is not being able to connect both the Xbox's with an open NAT. What that means is, is he wont be able to connect to alot of online features. When i had a strict nat i couldnt join custom lobbies in any game, I had a hard time joining private party's, invites to games that my friends would send, wouldnt work. There were times where if a certain person was in a lobby it wouldnt even let me connect because of my NAT type.

I understand his issues. This is not the first time I've heard someone on here not being able to sue the game's features.

Did you get your problem solved?

I understand his issues. This is not the first time I've heard someone on here not being able to sue the game's features.

Did you get your problem solved?

Oh ok. It just seemed by what you posted you didnt understand what was going on. While i would imagine it can be done on one router, it is probably easy just to use two like he said. Good luck anywho 👍

Oh ok. It just seemed by what you posted you didnt understand what was going on. While i would imagine it can be done on one router, it is probably easy just to use two like he said. Good luck anywho 👍

I've spent 30 years in electronics, working with computers, routers, wireless communications. So yes I understand his issues....;)

I've spent 30 years in electronics, working with computers, routers, wireless communications. So yes I understand his issues....;)

Cool, its just that you brought up something like headphones and mics when hes having a NAT issue. So it made it seem like the total opposite really.

I have one Xbox, 2 desktops, two laptops, and 3 smartphones connected to my router. Because my firewall was to strict, I also had moderate/strict NAT so i had to manually configure my network and my Xbox to change it to open. That being said, i didnt think you knew because you brought up mics and whatnot.

Cool, its just that you brought up something like headphones and mics when hes having a NAT issue. So it made it seem like the total opposite really.

I have one Xbox, 2 desktops, two laptops, and 3 smartphones connected to my router. Because my firewall was to strict, I also had moderate/strict NAT so i had to manually configure my network and my Xbox to change it to open. That being said, i didnt think you knew because you brought up mics and whatnot.

I know from experience that headphones/mics with a wheel doesn't always work well. I thought that was an issue he was having...me bad

@Browneyedman....the mic/wheel combo is not my issue. Strict/moderate NAT from my router is the issue. I have yet to try Melting Brains idea since I haven't purchased the extra router yet. But within the next couple weeks it will happen and Im just trying to get info before I do....

@Browneyedman....the mic/wheel combo is not my issue. Strict/moderate NAT from my router is the issue. I have yet to try Melting Brains idea since I haven't purchased the extra router yet. But within the next couple weeks it will happen and Im just trying to get info before I do....

Hopefully you can get it fixed. Without banging your head a lot..

Linksys WRT54G2 $50.00
WRT54G2.jpg

I highly recommend getting this router if you are gaming with multiple systems.

I always have at least 3-4 systems running on the same router at the same time. Multiple xbox360s, PS3, PC, or my wifes IPHone. I have NEVER opened any ports or assigned anything. The router does all the work as a direct plug in with no problems. We have had problems with other routers, not this one at all.

Linksys WRT54G2 $50.00
WRT54G2.jpg

I highly recommend getting this router if you are gaming with multiple systems.

I always have at least 3-4 systems running on the same router at the same time. Multiple xbox360s, PS3, PC, or my wifes IPHone. I have NEVER opened any ports or assigned anything. The router does all the work as a direct plug in with no problems. We have had problems with other routers, not this one at all.

That is a bold statement there Camaroboy.....The open NAT issue seems to mainly have an effect on COD/ModernWarfare online games. I also have multiple systems on my one router (2 Xboxs, 1 laptop, 1 desktop, Ipad, Itouch, Droid and a PS3. and the only time I have issues with gaming online is when my son brings the 2nd xbox to the house. Everything else is smooth. Its just like I said in my OP that one is open and the other will be strict/moderate......BUT I will look into the router. I have Linksys now and it might even be that model (not home right now)....

I also have multiple systems on my one router (2 Xboxs, 1 laptop, 1 desktop, Ipad, Itouch, Droid and a PS3. and the only time I have issues with gaming online is when my son brings the 2nd xbox to the house.....

You need to more assertive. tell your son not to bring their Xbox into the house. I told my kids NO. Yes I know he be mad at first. So were my kids and in time....I got used to sleeping in the garden shed...haha

You need to more assertive. tell your son not to bring their Xbox into the house. I told my kids NO. Yes I know he be mad at first. So were my kids and in time....I got used to sleeping in the garden shed...haha
Does not sound like a fun dad. You are a gaming father yet tell your son NOT to bring their xbox into the house? :boggled: Maybe you were just joking?

Back