2002 C5 Z06 Corvette

Not at all, getting in and out of the vette feels like you are sitting on the ground. The GTR is very easy to get in and out, almost like a regular car but just a tad lower.

The Vette is so low you almost fall into the seat getting in because you can't lower yourself anymore. I'm 6'3 though. Getting out is almost equal to sitting on the pavement and trying to get up.

The GTR is just a big car in general, but its pretty damn wide.

I see, Yeah I usually just "roll" out of my 7 or Flamves vette.:dopey:

Just a warning about the stock bolts, your ride gets pretty bumpy if you lower them all the way down. I have mine as low as possible. It's not unbearable, but if there is construction on the freeway or something and the road is uneven, you get banged around a bit. It can get old, and girls complain. At first I thought I had ruined it, but it's only bad on rough roads. On smooth or new roads it's great. Just something to prepare yourself for.

I can second that riding in one thats been done that way.

ZohsixGT5
Yeah, you should get it aligned once you lower it. It's not a huge difference, ~1 inch in the rear and 3/4 of an inch in the front. But it rides fairly high stock so that little difference makes it look much better.

Here's a pic before the exhaust. I took a current one but I can't get Flickr to let me share it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65128895@N03/7003100731/

Did you lower it yourself? I called Chevy and they said they couldn't do it because it could cause other problems. It's funny though because the handbook and GM states you can lower it on stock bolts with no problems. Some people are clueless.

I'd to it myself but have no lift so I'm gonna find a corvette aftermarket/ repair shop to get it done. I've read tons of posts about doing it on stock bolts and havent heard one bad thing as long as you align it after it settles. Only draw back is scraping the front plastic air dam which is cheap to replace anyhow.

Edit: I just called a few shops and they want $80 to do it which is a bit high considering its such an easy job.

Last edited:
$80 is ridiculous. I did it myself, 20 mins tops. There is a writeup on the forums that I used.

Jack up the car, take the wheels off, turn all 4 bolts (10mm) as far as they go (counter clockwise) and measure each side to make sure they match the other side. Wheels back on, done.

If you don't have a jack/jackstands I guess your only option will be a shop. I don't think you can get a decent jack with stands for under $80, but it might be something you want to invest in. I would do it for you, but it will be more expensive to get here than going to a shop :lol:.

Regarding the plastic air dam, I left them as is, about 3/4in from the road. :lol: They scrape everywhere but it's just plastic. If you have a dremel you can take them off and cut off the bottom half, no more scraping.

Thanks, I just called one of the shops back and told them a buddy of mine did it in about 20mins himself. He said $42+tax for 30mins labor. I'm still gonna check around. I just want someone with corvette experience doing the job. Oh and I've seen that do it yourself write up, that's why I'm not gonna shell out a lot of $ for something so simple.

Edit: I called the other corvette shop and he was BSing me trying to tell me it would take over an hour so $70+tax, I just hung up, he was a **** anyway.

Last edited:
:lol: Maybe it would take an hour if you only had 1 arm.

If you are really crazy you can get the aftermarket bolt kit for about $50.00. The red Z with the LED lights has them. That's mine behind it at stock height to compare.

ZohsixGT5
:lol: Maybe it would take an hour if you only had 1 arm.

If you are really crazy you can get the aftermarket bolt kit for about $50.00. The red Z with the LED lights has them. That's mine behind it at stock height to compare.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65128895@N03/7746650068/

I don't want to go any lower than stock bolts allow. Looks good though.

I'm trying to talk to a mechanic I got referred to by a friend but if that doesnt work out I'm just going to have the corvette shop do it for around $50.

Now I want to make sure to lower it as much as I can on stock bolts so that should be about 1" in the rear and 3/4" in front, for providing rake which wouldn't mess with the aerodynamics of the car and provide the same stability as stock height, in which the rear should always be a bit higher for proper aerodynamics. I want it providing the same difference in height from the front and rear from when it was stock, just sitting lower with the same proportions. In other words I don't want the rear to sit lower than the front causing lift from the front at high speeds or changes in air flow effecting the handling dynamics. Sorry for the essay.

Last edited:
ZohsixGT5
Did you get a chance to lower it yet?

Not yet been too busy lately. I'll get around to it next week and post pics. I want to get some new wheels too, either chrome OEM C5 Z06 wheels or powder coat mine black with a chrome lip. I need to go cheap right now so those are my only options.

Back