2006/07 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

• Thread starter skip0110
  • 18 comments
United States
Worcester, MA
skip0110
Finally the old Explorer, notorious for the Firestone/rollover fiasco, will have it's DNA excised completely from the Ford brand. The Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Ford's small four-door/small bed pickup, was up until now based on the old Explorer's backbone, despite it's styling that mimicked the new Explorers. For 2006 or 2007, Ford will replace it with a new truck based on the new Explorer. I guess this means it will have an independent rear, which makes little sense in a truck.

This is the concept car.
b002-sporttrac-1204n.jpg

Look at huge pictures of the interior, front, and back; or read more here.

I'll staple my lips together and refrain from making any comment on the styling, but I just have to ask this: Why the frig does Ford insist on making the cargo beds on their new trucks so friggin' deep? I totally understand that deeper beds = greater contained storage volume, but for goodness sake, trying to put anything in from the sides is ridiculously difficult unless you're fifteen feet tall.

Sage
Why the frig does Ford insist on making the cargo beds on their new trucks so friggin' deep? I totally understand that deeper beds = greater contained storage volume, but for goodness sake, trying to put anything in from the sides is ridiculously difficult unless you're fifteen feet tall.
A high tailgate ruins backward visiblity, too--making backing into a spot or parallel parking hard as well.

I've been liking what Ford has been doing with interior styling as of late. 👍

Hopefully the build quality will be good too. I just hope the exterior styling gets redone, it looks fairly bland right now (except for the front; it looks good).

Know what I wish? Since Ford seems to be on the retro thing, and - perpetually - on the cost-cutting thing, I wish they'd bring back the 1991-1994 Explorer platform and use it on the 2006 Explorer Sport Trac. That would kill two birds with one stone, really. I should be hired

I wonder if car manufacturers have "platform archives" storage areas?

M5Power
Know what I wish? Since Ford seems to be on the retro thing, and - perpetually - on the cost-cutting thing, I wish they'd bring back the 1991-1994 Explorer platform and use it on the 2006 Explorer Sport Trac. That would kill two birds with one stone, really. I should be hired
Please don't mention the 91-96 Explorer, the '93 Explorer has been my family's main car since 1993, and although it has had near perfect reliability, I hate the car. It's lethargic, poor on gas, and feels like it has a mashed potato suspension. But above all, the interior is in afwul condition, partly due to heavy wear and tear thanks to my father, and partly due to the poor build quality (cracked plastic is commonplace). I'm sick of this car.

There is a very nice Sport-Trac featured in one of the truck mags. I agree with Sage that the bed is just too danged high. Without a tonneau that tailgate is one big airbrake.
It does add a bit of utility to the "ute" part of "sport-ute". But it would be more stylish with the flareside bed off the Ranger Edge. And it would be easier to see out of the back.

M5Power
:lol: I bet they will take you almost instantly jsut looking at your resume.

Ev0
Please don't mention the 91-96 Explorer, the '93 Explorer has been my family's main car since 1993, and although it has had near perfect reliability, I hate the car. It's lethargic, poor on gas, and feels like it has a mashed potato suspension. But above all, the interior is in afwul condition, partly due to heavy wear and tear thanks to my father, and partly due to the poor build quality (cracked plastic is commonplace). I'm sick of this car.

The 1991-1994 Ford Explorer is my very favorite midsize SUV ever built. So... tread lightly. :)

M5Power
The 1991-1994 Ford Explorer is my very favorite midsize SUV ever built. So... tread lightly. :)
Well, I will give it this. When 4WD is not engaged, it is a rear wheel drive vehicle. Massive plus in my books. And besides, I think my current automotive situation is the source of much of my disdain for this vehicle. I can either drive the Explorer or a Hyundai Santa Fe, which at least has somewhat car like handling, and a tempermental shiftronic gearbox (It's still worlds better than a plain automatic though).

Wow, anything is better than the old one! it looked so retarded but this one has an f-150 lightning feel. Nice 👍

Edit: Why oh why do car companies feel the need to make their damn emblems bigger?? I'm not blind... :rolleyes:

Latest Posts

Back