2006 rx7 in development

• Thread starter GaryR
  • 7 comments
Mazda has officially endorsed plans to build a rotary-powered next generation RX-7

With the Mazda RX-8 officially on sale in its major markets, Mazda is now turning to its next sports-car project. The company has officially endorsed plans to build a rotary-powered RX-7 replacement.

In the footsteps of the 1978 original, it will be a sleek, lightweight two-seater. Some platform, suspension and driveline elements will be borrowed from the RX-8 parts bin. Although expected to launch in 2006, a concept may be unveiled at the Tokyo Motor Show next month.

An amped version of the Renesis RX-8 engine is likely to power the RX-7. With wider and stiffer rotor housings, a higher redline, and displacement out to about 1.6 litres, Mazda plans on output of around 300hp in the normally aspirated form. It appears there will be no turbocharged version. Fear not, though, as for the first time ever, Mazda is working on a supercharged rotary option for RX-7.

The production car, code-named J77, is likely to be shorter and wider than the RX-8. There may even be a cabriolet variant with a fabric or folding hard-top hood.
RX7_concept.jpg

concept image

Sorry pal, but that pic you just posted is more than 2 years old. On most Mazda Forums, the new RX-7 is just a rumour, and that it will never be built. Is there any official word of Mazda making a new RX-7? All I've been hearing have been rumours for the past 2 years of a new RX-7.

Thats all, just rumour and speculation, all those pics are really old.......In fact I think that pic has been floating around before the RX-8 was released. I won't believe in the car being made, unless I see an official statement by Mazda. Sorry if I may be sounding like an ass, but I'm just trying to clear things up. Just because an automotive magazine says there might be a new RX-7 doesn't officially mean it. If there is a new RX-7, I hope it'll still have the badass looks and performance of the old RX-7, just don't know why Mazda would bring back the old RX-7 name......

1) No, you are not sounding like an ass, you are voicing your opinion.

2) I won't believe till Mazda announces it either...but I've noticed more "reputable" magazines are mentioning it.

3) I'll keep praying! lol

GaryR
1) No, you are not sounding like an ass, you are voicing your opinion.

2) I won't believe till Mazda announces it either...but I've noticed more "reputable" magazines are mentioning it.

3) I'll keep praying! lol

Touché. :)

ND4SPD

There's nothing to "tu ché" about. He didn't "get" you on anything. Also, why don't magazine or car websites date, revise and review old posts? Do they want they're readers to think that old stuff is still new and going to happen? I think all major articles should have a follow up to confirm/deny what it originally said.

Back