• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 33 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
This is my first time covering this race on GTPlanet. This is in a move to broaden my horizon of races that I want to start and cover. You may note that I started the Rolex24 discussion back in January. Allow me to introduce this race to you all in case you have no idea what this race is all about. In case I mess up anything, PLEASE correct me. You probably know much more about this course than I do.

--- Introduction to 24H at the Nürburgring ---
Imagine you guys meeting a beautiful young lady. Just as you think you're making magic in getting to know her and asking her out on a date, she says "I'm sorry. I have a boyfriend." Then when he comes around, you see this bug, hulking giant that intimidates everyone in his path. That loosely describes this hellaciously long track. The F1 course is a much sane version of the track that is almost 5.15 kilometers long. The Nürburgring Nordschliefe (North Course) is over 12 miles in length and usually used by commuters and as a test facility for automobile manufacturers. Formula One once raced the very long course way back when with names like Niki Lauda taking part in the race. The course literally takes forever to master. The narrow roads of the Nordschliefe portion may allow for about two-wide action. Maybe even three-wide. Unlike Le Mans, most of the cars involved in this race range from nicely-tuned street cars all the way to touring cars and some GT racing cars. Even some of the DTM (Deutsche Tourenwagen Meisterschaft, Germany's premier racing series) machines compete here. I can remember a Chrysler Viper racing around this track. Somewhere between 200 to 220 entries compete around this course. Lap times are VERY long. Some of the better lap times are usually in the range of nine minutes. Meaning you'd better have plenty of fuel and quality tires to help you out. And to classify, you must finish. Some of the competitors are even kind enough to push you to the line so you can classify at race's end. Just don't let them do any any favors to try to win this one.

As far as the track itself goes, it is situated in a very serene setting, especially away from the F1 course. You have plenty of trees and grass and lots of other lush greenery. In the distance is the Nüremburg Castle. This can really be seen to your right on the easiest part of the course (the long backstretch).

This race is usually run on the same weekend of the 24 Hours of Le Mans. You be the judge as to which is the better race. Regardless, 24 hours is 24 hours. These folks in Germany just do things a bit different (understatement).

You're welcome to talk the 24 Hours at the Nürburgring. PLEASE set me straight on anything I may have not discussed successfully.

to give you a better picture of one of the worl'ds Longest circuits, we take a lap onboard a RUF CTR

John, please use paragraphs. My heard hurts. :crazy:

Meanwhile, does anyone know if there is any Australian coverage of this event? I’ve always wanted to watch some real race footage from the Nürburgring. All I’ve ever seen is on-board shots.

John, please use paragraphs. My heard hurts. :crazy:

Meanwhile, does anyone know if there is any Australian coverage of this event? I’ve always wanted to watch some real race footage from the Nürburgring. All I’ve ever seen is on-board shots.

Blakes right! Also, you went from measuring the GP circuit in kilometres and measured the Nordshleife in miles, isn't that kinda strange?

Anyway. I'm quite sure there wont be any coverage, except for a tiny update on RPM, probably. I know there is one Australian team that regularly enters and I believe that one of the VIP Petfoods Porsche Cup Cars will be in the event this year.

The only international events they broadcast in Australian free-to-air is F1, Red Bull Air Race, WRC and the Dakar Rally.

i get everything from Link removed by moderator
and this forum should promote that site.

VIP Petfoods is awesome, they were there last year. They go to this race to prove that they're the fastest petfood makers in the world, or something along the same lines.

And A1.

Anyway, FOX Sports might have something, but somehow I doubt it.

I don't think they have in the past. They do show highlights of the Daytona and Le Mans 24 hour though.

I apologize for my inexperience. This is my first time hosting a thread on this race. I want to offer a little discussion topic here.

DISCUSSION:
1.) What makes the 24 Hours at the Nürburgring important/special to you?

2.) Le Mans is obviously a much bigger and much more prestigious event. Having said this, how underrated (if at all) is this race compared to Le Mans?

3.) What are your most favorite and least favorite moments in 24h @ Nürburgring history?

4.) BMW is usually the team to beat. Any chance BMW gets knocked off here?

I previewed the race. Now help set the mood for this endurance race.

Well, since there might be some legal issues with that site, I think that it's best kept "underground," as the name implies.

Personally, i think its unfair that the location of where you live dictates what you have on TV. A lot people complain about being fans of certain motorsport disciplines and not having any coverage. Here is a site that gives them the option of what they want to watch. I don't think thats wrong, since i was subjected to crappy TV coverage.

BTW sorry for going off topic

Whether it’s right or wrong is not the issue. It’s illegal and, thus, against the AUP to discuss it on this forum.

Personally, i think its unfair that the location of where you live dictates what you have on TV. A lot people complain about being fans of certain motorsport disciplines and not having any coverage. Here is a site that gives them the option of what they want to watch. I don't think thats wrong, since i was subjected to crappy TV coverage.

I agree with you. Motorsport should be enjoyed by everyone, regardless of where they live. There is certainly nothing wrong the site's motives, and I commend them for providing everyone the opportunity to witness motor events that would otherwise be appreciated only by a few. It is a prime example of people with a common interest using the technology available to unite and eliminate barriers. One can argue that this has a positive effect on the world of motorsport, as it gives the various series more exposure, and thus, opening the door to more fans.

However, the companies that broadcast these events do not see it this way. They have other motives and place restrictions accordingly. Unfortunately, the laws are on their side, fair or not. While individuals may choose to ignore these restrictions at little to no risk, GTPlanet simply cannot.

I apologize for my inexperience. This is my first time hosting a thread on this race. I want to offer a little discussion topic here.

DISCUSSION:
1.) What makes the 24 Hours at the Nürburgring important/special to you?

2.) Le Mans is obviously a much bigger and much more prestigious event. Having said this, how underrated (if at all) is this race compared to Le Mans?

3.) What are your most favorite and least favorite moments in 24h @ Nürburgring history?

4.) BMW is usually the team to beat. Any chance BMW gets knocked off here?

I previewed the race. Now help set the mood for this endurance race.

1)24hr Ring is... well... great. How could anyone really explain? Ok, I've got it... The 24hrs of Nurburgring is important or special to me because :drumroll:
One lap of racing on the Ring is (IMO) a monumental feat for any driver. :P
In any hour some cars could run 8 laps maybe? 8 laps compared to one lap is 8 times the "monumental feat."
24hrs of 8 laps an hour is 24 times more monumental than one hour of 8 laps.
Basically, 24hrs of the Ring is an incredible feat of racing skill (as a team).
2) I do not believe the Ring 24hrs is under-rated. I think the perception is as you have said, 24hrsLM is more prestigious than 24hrsRing. However, the perception from individual to individual or even Nation to Nation will certainly vary.
I'd be willing to be the nation of Germany generally holds the Ring 24hrs as a more prestigious event. :confused:
3) Don't really know the history, although I'm happy to see they still do this event. 👍
4) I was not aware of BMW being the team to beat. I was under the assumption this was part of the LM enduro series where LMP teams would running the race.
I'm interested to hear more about BMW's entries for this year. 👍

The startingfield usually consists of FIA GT2, GT3, GT4 (ADAC) and DTM cars, where the old M3 GTR still is very competitive.

The ADAC 24hrs is now in its 35th year and is a stand-alone event, rather than being part of any Sports or Endurance series, a good number of starters do come from the VLN race series (Veranstaltergemeinschaft Langstreckenpokal Nürburgring - go on, try and say that after a beer or six) an endurance race series that runs exclusively at the 'ring.

Details of the ADAC 24hrs can be found at its web-site here...

http://adac.24h-rennen.de/en.html

...with results found here...

http://adac.24h-rennen.de/en/database/result-database.html

...and as you will see very few races have such a wide range of cars participating. Add in the 24hrs element and that fact that its the 'ring and you have a very special race indeed. EVO magazine in the UK drove with one of the teams last year and the piece written about it was first rate, particularly the night driving element of it.

As for the profile of the ADAC 24hrs, well while the public profile of Le Mans is very well known and has the glamour; the ADAC is like a well kept secret. Those that really love racing, know and respect it as an event, but is still slightly off the public radar.

One interesting GT4 related bit, remember the Falken Skyline that featured so heavily on the 'ring footage before GT4 was released; well it was used with good reason. The Falken Skyline was built for the Nurburgring 24hrs.

Regards

Scaff

I can remember a very weird weather situation two years (IIRC) ago during the last 30 minutes of the race. There was massive rain, snow (!), hail and bright sunshine at the same time. I have never seen anything like that. You could watch the cars drive through a section with perfect summer weather and two minutes later they were in a heavy thunder storm. It was absolutely surreal.

The interesting thing about this race is the huge numbers of cars. Where else do you have 250+ cars on the track at the same time? This is especially interesting at night. Race cars have much more powerful lights than ordinary cars. Looks very impressive with all the trees around the track.

*McLaren* - Good set of links - Very handy.

As we already have a thread on the 24hrs (just slipped over the page) I'm going to merge the two together - hope you don't mind.

Regards

Scaff

EVO magazine in the UK drove with one of the teams last year and the piece written about it was first rate, particularly the night driving element of it.

Regards

Scaff

If i remember correctly Richard Meaden raced for the Maserati team last year and is racing in this years event as part of the Aston Martin team in one of the new AMV8 N24's.

Spec....

The live streaming has started, but because of the weather, a rain storm, the race hasn't started yet.

Keep in mind that the site is also painfully slow right now; no doubt a lot of people are watching the stream.

edit 1: There is a small bit of stretch, which has been flooded with mud because of the rain; my german is far from usable, but I believe the announcers said that was the reason why the race hasn't started. Obviously the have plenty of cameras showing the muded bit of track.
edit 2: Notable sight; black/red Aston Martin DB9R (car #007, no joke) sports Gran Turismo sponsorship. Said car is also starting in 3rd position.
edit 3: Can't believe I saw it earlier; all cars seem to sport Gran Turismo HD sponsorship. Which is obvious because the live stream is sponsored by, no less, Gran Turismo HD.

edit 4: The Aston Martin, nicknamed "James Bond" by the announcers, started 4th, and not third, but grabbed the lead right from the start, and passed its first cars some fifteen minutes into the race/late in the second lap.

mms://odm-streaming-01.odmedia.net/f_24h_500
i thought i posted a link.

You can open up the stream in VLC media player if you just

go to file, open network stream and then copy paste this url into the box

mms://odm-streaming-01.odmedia.net/f_24h_500

Also if you want commentary in english radio le mans link is here

mms://stream022.octopustv.com/globecast

Its a bit better if you open the stream in a separate app.

Did anyone see the FD RX7? It will be a miracle if that finishes.

Edit: 1-Series just wrecked itself.

Oh god the radio lemans guys are hillarious, they are talking about taking a Suzuki Cappocino to the N24 race.

Is anyone still watching this? Im trying to figure out whats going on. The radiolemans feed is still playing crappy music. The video feed has also added crappy music now to replace the German speaking, but is only showing one view from pit lane.

Im not positive, but it looks like its morning there now hopefully meaning theyll go back to full coverage soon. But judging by the pit lane picture, the race is fog delayed? If so, does anyone know if the clock still runs during the delay? I hope not, if they delay the clock that means I wont have to wake up as early tomorrow morning to catch the end of the race.

Latest Posts

Back