2009 GTP NASCAR Awards. Results are in!

• Thread starter LSX
  • 22 comments

LSX

GTP_LSX
-2009 GTP NASCAR Awards-

2009Daytona500racestartfromflagstan.jpg

The final checkered flag has fallen on the 2009 season.
We know who took home the cup this year, we know who had the most wins. There are however many other things we don't know, or rather have not established collectively, because the only way to find out is by voting, so everyone gets a say. So while the 2009 Nascar Sprint Cup Series is still fresh in our minds, let's find the answers to the questions that aren't necessarily reflected in the points finishing order, or how many wins a driver may, or may not have on paper.
That's just what the 2009 GTP NASCAR Awards are for!
We all have opinions, but what do we all think collectively?
Let's find out!!!

I had seen Bee's thread for the F1 section from a long time ago, this is sort of my take on that.

Please enjoy!

Well fellow GTP members. You've spoken and the votes are tallied! Some categories, everyone was almost unanimous in their decision, while in a few it was nearly everyone for themselves, with just a few in agreement. Apparently, we all liked the April Talladega race, everyone loves JPM and Marcos Ambrose too. :lol: Read on and see where the voting went! Thank you everyone who participated!

Some 2009 season highlights.
- Categories -

I. Drivers and Teams -

1.) Most improved driver for 2009.
Juan Pablo Montoya takes the title of most improved driver by a landslide.
Honorable mention being Marcos Ambrose.

2.) Most improved team in 2009.
Michal Waltrip Racing! They have apparently gotten their act together, they take the title of most improved team for 2009. Stewart-Hass CNC racing being the honorable mention in second place

3.) What team and driver fell off the most from the '08-'09 season?
What happend to Carl Edwards and Roush-Fenway Racing as a whole this year?
Kyle Busch and Joe Gibbs Racing feel off to a point as well, but nothing like RFR and the 99 Aflac Ford!

4.) Who should we be watching in 2010?
Marcos Ambrose! Look for him to really be on par for next season, he's showed a lot of promise this year, I hope we're all right!
Also look for Earnhardt-Ganassi Racing and JPM to kick it into high gear and get an oval win. (Or two!)

II. Races and on track events. -

1.) Best race of 2009.
The April Talladega race easily takes the title of most exciting race, and for good reason! The Michigan race in June oddly enough is the Honorable mention, in the closing laps it was a battle of fuel mileage, with Mark Martin having just a bit more than the others.

2.) Worst race of 2009.
Again, quite clearly, Talladega in October was a race it seems everyone could have done with out. It handily won it's self the title of "Worst race of 2009."
Any race at Fontana California being the Honorable Mention, please Nascar stop going there!

3.) Best finish of 2009.
And the best finish of 2009 is... Talladega in April! Which just edged out the July Coke Zero 400 at Daytona for best finish. Restrictor plate racing was either on fire or way off this year, these two races being on fire, the other two, not so much.

4.) Best move of 2009.
Brad Keselowski holding his ground above the yellow line after being blocked by Carl Edwards has taken this title, for good reason too. I don't think anyone knew that would happen, but the outcome was enough to have us picking our jaws up off the floor.

5.) Worst temper tantrum of 2009.
Juan Pablo Montoya all year long! Be it Indy or Homstead, JPM was not afraid to let someone know how he felt. Especially Smoke!

6.) Biggest hit of 2009.
Should this have been the April Talladega awards 2009? Carl Edwards took the hardest hit this year as the voting made clear. Safety in the cars and facilities are two of the things that Nascar does right, it showed when Edwards 3,500lb race car didn't pierce the catch fence at 185 miles per hour. Some fans were injured by debris, but it could have been much, much worse. The honorable mention, Ryan Newman's bizarre flip in the AMP Energy 500 at, AGAIN Talladega in October. When will he not total out a SHR Chevrolet at 'Dega?

7.) Most outrageous on track happening of '09.
Rookie Joey Logano, who could not keep fenders on his car in the early part of the season won a race. Regardless of how, he still won it, so congratulations to him. Anything that happened at Talladega was a very close second.

III. Other -

1.) The best story line of the 2009 season.
Mark Martin, forever Nascars brides maid. For a fifty year old man, he really diced it up with the young guns this year and showed them who the boss is. Martin was reinvigorated, winning the most races in the regular season, as well as showing everyone why he deserves respect. He never complains about the car, and he always races cleanly. The Honorable mention in this case being Juan Pablo Montoya making the chase for the cup. If you watched the Nascar award ceremony, "From Bogota Colombia, Juan Pablo Montoya!" may have sounded out of place to you as well, only because the other drivers in the chase were from the United States. It is however a VERY welcome addition!

2.) What to look forward to most in 2010.
In 2010, apparently we don't want to see Jimmie Johnson win a fifth straight title! That speaks for it's self. The honorable mention for this category is...Juan Pablo Montoya and Marcos Ambrose to hopefully make the Chase!

Looking ahead to 2010.

Thanks again everyone who participated in the voting!

Feel free to use this thread for questions and comments.

:gtplanet:

Last edited:
1.) Most improved driver for 2009: I'd say Montoya. Ever since that merger it seems like he suddenly went from back in the pack to contention finishing well consistantly and getting in the chase.

2.) Most improved team in 2009: Assuming I can say more then one, I'd say EGR and MWR. They have both stepped it up and the performances have been improving, if only the results for the latter wouldn't be hampered by bad luck.

3.) What team and driver fell off the most from the '08-'09 season?: RCR without a doubt. Just seemed like they really lost something ever since they went to four cars and switched around Bowyer to make room for Mears. I would also think Kyle and Carl fell off this year. They seemed like they were the only ones worthy of contending, but this year they were barely in the top 10 much less going for the win. Sure Kyle won 4 races but thats a huge letdown from his 8 last year.

4.) Who should we be watching in 2010?: I'd say these teams:

MWR With Truex now on the team as well as them building better cars, I think they have potential.

RCR: The last few races they seemed to have finally got something together, I think thats a good indicator that they are back.

EGR: This year they really got strong and with Mcmurray returning to a team he's very familier with along with Montoya and his crew chief, I expect them to be contending most of the season.

SHR: Right out of the gate, they were in contention and it was just thier first year. I expect 2010 to be an even stronger charge towards the championship.

Last edited:
I pm'd my choices, I guess I could copy/paste them in here so everyone could see.

Dammit, I forgot about that. Post has been edited, unless we can publicly share our nominees without being killed.

I've got your nominations Ian, same for you Pescara. :lol: You won't be killed for talking about your nominations here. Go for it. Just so long as everyone PMs me their final nominations so I can keep all the nominations organized.

I answered it as good as I could since I didn't watch a chunk of the season.

Also, I don't see how you can't vote SHR as the most improved team. Last year they had two cars that could barely stay in the top 35(As Haas/CNC), this year both were in the top 10

Alright guys. Well I've gotten most of the nominations for the regulars in the Nascar thread, but still not all. There is one week left to nominate for the categories before I tally them up to determine the winners. SO, if you still want to take part, or have been putting it off, get those nominations in! Even if you only can nominate for a few categories, it's alright, just go off what you can remember for the season, I know it was a long one so we're all bound to forget a little bit!

Just wanted to give a reminder is all!

Thanks, LSX.

And I received them, they were very well done! Thank you 👍

EDIT: Received yours as well, thanks RACECAR.

Last edited:
Alright, all the nominations that are coming are in I suppose.
Thanks everyone for participating, I will tally the votes and post the results up tomorrow! Stay tuned!

LSX.

Alright everyone, the results are up, thanks for participating! Hopefully next year we can make it even better!

LSX.

Ooh, I didn't see this thread. I would have stuck my oar in.

I think Newman's Talladega shunt was worse than Carl Edwards' one. And no mentions of the Gordon wreck at the Glen?

Montoya's consistency was definitely the year's biggest surprise to me. Loving his rage as well. Anyone who's on Twitter should follow him. He's funny and he has a life to die for. Jimmie Johnson/Chad Knaus is definitely the Michael Schumacher/Ross Brawn of NASCAR. They've become truly masterful at winning the Chase, and with Hendrick developing such good cars, it's going to take quite a team to take them down next year.

Although Carl Edwards, RCR and Roush Fenway all had massive falls this year, the biggest for me was JGR. I really expected Kyle Busch to do a lot better, and for Toyota to be much more strongly represented in the Chase. I guess the loss of Smoke (for whom I have a dislike that is as strong as it is irrational) and the effort to bring on Logano was bigger than they could have anticipated.

Your right about the Gordon/Hornish wreck at the Glenn, it may not have been at break neck speed, but it was an incredibly hard hit. It did receive a vote, but Edwards hit was more of a spectacle I suppose, which perhaps led to it's getting more votes. Even worse was Mike Skinners head on fight with the wall at Lowe's in the truck series.

You know, I really don't remember. All that I do remember from him was running well in the All-Star Open and the massive shunt with Gordon.

Dear lord, if it were not for the HANS, safer barrier and the new car, I'd hate to think how that might have turned out...
Wasn't that the 2008 season?

This was the hardest hit I could remember, but if was from the Truck side of things.

Back