2009 Scion xD - Hat tolerance for zero-assery.

• Thread starter Pupik
  • 15 comments

Pupik

dig the bolts in my neck
Staff Emeritus
United States
HSV
So yeah...I test drove a few cars, narrowed it down to the new Mazda 3 (couldn't agree on a price at two dealers), the Honda Fit (a little too small on the inside), and finally my final choice, the Scion xD. It had more headroom than I expected too, which was nice when wearing my full regalia, like that of a breakfast cereal commander.

I enjoy my 32 miles per galleon (er, gallon), even with brisk driving. I enjoy rowing the shifter (although having been 6.5 years removed from daily use of a third pedal, there's still a few barnacles on my hull). The car's got a decent trot, lots of weird and useful shapes to catch my eye, and storage for my booty. Or was that a boot for storage? Or ass-tolerance for my medium-butted frame? Enough posting about my posterior, I shall now display images of my new automobile.

Under neon lighting...

Scion-xD_003_1200.jpg

Last edited:
Hey! I don't fault you at all! After all, I came to realize that "Toyotas" can be friendly vehicles long before I decided to buy my own. The xD is an honest-to-goodness good, "basic," car. Much, much better than the xB I might add.

I totally agree on how functional the car is as well. Its almost too functional. I just wish the clutch would have been a bit more... Uhhh, can we say "less odd" while being grammatically correct? I couldn't figure out where the position was, so I stalled it a time or two, and overrevved on some shifts. Weird. Still, that little 1.8L is fun to play with... Especially compared to the "big" 2.2L and 2.0L engines I've lived with over the past five or so years.

BTW, YSS, It's a 1.5L engine.

BTW, you're wrong. It is a 1.8 Liter engine, the 2ZR-FE. The Yaris has the 1.5 Liter.

As for the xD itself, I test drove one and I do agree it is a good form of transportation. A much better feeling version of the Corolla that I use to own, in a manner of speaking. And more functional, hatch backs for the win!

I'm sorry, I just can't take a car that's constantly making a laughing face at me. I'm trying to look at you, mr xD

Cool looking car, but I wish it had larger headlights. Congrats on the new car! :D

Car Mitzvah? I've had my car for just over 13 years now.

Wife and two kids still fit in it, so as long as the the stay isn't more than two nights.

Daughter learned to drive stick in this car.

Traveled through 15 states with it.

106,000 miles and no break downs. Notchy shifter when vehicle is cold and below 45°F outside. Needs a little maintenance. Mostly garaged at airports or at home. But I typically enjoy driving it after suffering through most rental cars during the week.

And it still gets 30-35mpg.

42CE05B8-A7DA-4EDB-A619-08B9E199A8BB.jpeg

Last edited:
This thread makes me miss my 2011 xD. The Mazda3 I traded it in for and the mk7 GTI I have now are both technically much better cars but neither have the charm the xD had. Did 150k kms with it in a bit less than 5 years including the Cabot Trail with the front bumper duct taped together.

My girlfriend always hated it though so was thrilled to see it go. Never saw any of them on the road when they were new and now I might be lucky to see one every 2 years.

That car felt “mine” in a way no other one probably ever will.
A41620EE-DC4E-478B-9F19-76B3C49159A1.jpeg

I really miss the whole Scion brand. Cars that were budget-oriented and didn't try to pretend otherwise. You didn't get fake stitching, fake leather, fake premium - you got interesting design that was purposefully economical practically packaged with superb dependability. There is really no equivalent left in the US Market, even a Nissan Versa has delusions of being premium.

Back