2011 Mercedes SLS Gullwing AMG

• Thread starter J-PaP
  • 16 comments
Australia
Australia
J-PaP
I was sure a thread existed on this car but clearly couldn't find it. Some new official sketches and interior shots are out so here they are:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mercedes-benz-sls-amg-gullwing.html

Mercedes-Benz has released two official sketches of its forthcoming SLS AMG supercar, plus seven interior photos. Less than a month ago, the German automaker released a handful of images showing the exterior of a camouflaged prototype. The car is being developed entirely by the AMG division, without the help of ex-ally McLaren, or racing partner H.W.A., which was rumored to be involved at one point.

The car is expected to have a starting priced well under $200,000, which makes it far less expensive than the soon-to-be-discontinued SLR, but still out of reach from all but the wealthiest percentile of customers.

Power will come from a 6.3-liter naturally aspirated V8, delivering 563 hp at 6800 rpm and 479 pound-feet of torque at 4750 rpm. Look for a zero to 60 mph time of 3.8 seconds and a top speed of 196 mph.

A seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox will offer both manual and automatic shift modes. The gearbox will be rear-mounted for optimal weight distribution and will feature four settings — from “comfortable to extremely sporty”. Braking will be handled by six-piston calipers gripping 15.4-inch rotors in the front and 14.2-inch discs at the rear. Optional 15.8-inch carbon-ceramic rotors will be offered as well. A carbon fiber driveshaft will be standard issue for the SLS.

The SLS will be 183 inches long, 76.8 inches wide and 49.2 inches high, with a wheelbase measuring in at 105.5 inches. Front-to-rear weight distribution is estimated at 48 percent to 52 percent, according to Mercedes. The SLS will utilize an all-aluminum chassis and body — a first for Mercedes-Benz and AMG — resulting in a curb weight of 3,571 pounds, or about 30 pounds lighter than the outgoing SLR. The car will ride on 265/35 R 19 (front) and 295/30 R 20 (rear) tires.

As indicated by recent spy photos, the SLS will feature numerous details from the Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Gullwing from the 1950s. Mercedes says the supercar stays true to the original’s basic design language, with similar proportions and surface development. In fact, the SLS looks like it will be sporting a throwback look, thanks to vintage air vents that date back to Mercedes products of the 1960s. Unlike the F1-inspired styling of the SLR, there is a clear lineage to the rest of Mercedes’ lineup in the Gullwing’s front fascia, with crisp character lines that give the two-door a purposeful look.

High-tech features include LED headlights and a new version of the COMAND user interface.

The production Gullwing coupe is slated to debut at the 2010 Geneva Motor Show, with deliveries slated to start in mid 2010. A soft-top convertible version — codenamed R197 — expected to bow sometime in 2011, and might use the SLC name. Mercedes has yet to announce an official production schedule for the Gullwing, but our sources say the AMG supercar is earmarked for a two year production run, with annual production pegged at no more than 6,000 units.

phpthumbgeneratedthumbnh.jpg

phpthumbgeneratedthumbnwwa.jpg

phpthumbgeneratedthumbntot.jpg

Last edited:
At least they did a better job with it than Nissan.

how can you tell from mere artist sketch? And, if they're really sticking to merc philosophies, it will be dulled down before release until it'll look as generic as the rest of their lineup.

Okay. I hate the headlights. Fred Phelps has nothing on my hate for the headlights. But the rest of this stage of the design is a win. :)

That interior looks like a nice place to be... have they confirmed the engine yet? And how about the price? (i'm scared for that)

Alex.
Nice hyperlink :lol:

How's this?

That's a very nice interior. I think the way the steering controls are laid out are very nice. It's nothing like the TL's 13 buttons that look all jumbled up. This looks very simple.

And I think it's too early to really make any comments about the exterior. I generally ignore concept sketches because it's pretty hard to get an idea of what the final details will look like from it.

Last edited:
how can you tell from mere artist sketch? And, if they're really sticking to merc philosophies, it will be dulled down before release until it'll look as generic as the rest of their lineup.

It's a more appealing artist's sketch than the GTR's. I have no idea what it will wind up looking like. Probably ugly.

I don't think those paper napkin exterior "sketches" could be any more abstract...or more closely resembling the GT-R concepts. However, the similarities don't stop at the face. The interior is a smorgasbord of buttons and levers not seen in a Mercedes since the late 80's....well, never, really. I wish them luck with it. Any chance of someone sitting in the driver's seat and thinking "Wow, this car is special is gone already. Have the memories of the SLR been erased even before the sales are done?

Back