2012, a good year for games?

• Thread starter TDZdave
  • 26 comments
Australia
Hindmarsh Island
TDZ-4-12-14-88
XBOX_is_GAY!!!!
so with 2012 shorty to wrap up and 2013 to get under way, has 2012 been kind to us with video games and simulators, or has it been terrible and you want to get into the hype of game play marketed to us gamers for 2013?

personally, as a strict console gamer, the PS3 and XBOX 360 games 90% of games I feel thus far have been forced onto the market for making money, they all lack the heart and soul that the PS1 and PS2 games, so I'm very hesitant upon purchasing new product's and 2012 hasn't really provided me much light at the end of the tunnel to purchase at the spare of the minute, apart from the obvious heavy hitter's of AC3 and Black op's 2, (which my girlfriend brought for me as she got sick of me going into the game shop and looking at them for several minutes and not purchasing) I'm really hoping that this trend doesn't follow into 2013, but still yet to really be bedazzled by anything, so 2012 wasn't a disappointment more an continuance of low expectations,

ok, so this thread is starting to look like a rant but rest assured this isn't, I'm interested in your opinion on 2012 games, is there something I missed out on because I would impulse buy, or was my money better spent at the pub?

as for 2013, what's your view, what are you expecting?

I wasn't very happy with any games that released this year. Probably one of the worst years if not the worst year ever for games as far as I'm concerend and I've been playing games since games could be played. It is the end of a console cycle though so a bad year is to be excpected.

NCAA and madden football were bad
No new racing sims released
Online multiplayer shooters were bad.

The only highlight I can think of this year would be far cry 3. I had never played a far cry and am really enjoying this one.

Next year should be great for the PC, but really bad for consoles until the end of the year.
PC will have crysis 3, ARMA 3, Rfactor 2, PCARS, GTR 3, assseta corsa( or whatever it's called) and a few others maybe I'm forgetting. This could be the greatest year ever for sim racers, and with ARMA 3 coming out I really couldn't be happier. So glad I finally gave in and started PC gaming again last year.

I almost forgot about a new command and conquer and company of heros 2. PC gaming should be great next year. Hopefully we start to see some better triple screen support too in games.

Last edited:
I wasn't very happy with any games that released this year. Probably one of the worst years if not the worst year ever for games as far as I'm concerend and I've been playing games since games could be played. It is the end of a console cycle though so a bad year is to be excpected.

NCAA and madden football were bad
No new racing sims released
Online multiplayer shooters were bad.

The only highlight I can think of this year would be far cry 3. I had never played a far cry and am really enjoying this one.

Next year should be great for the PC, but really bad for consoles until the end of the year.
PC will have crysis 3, ARMA 3, Rfactor 2, PCARS, GTR 3, assseta corsa( or whatever it's called) and a few others maybe I'm forgetting. This could be the greatest year ever for sim racers, and with ARMA 3 coming out I really couldn't be happier. So glad I finally gave in and started PC gaming again last year.

I agree, this year was terrible for gaming
the games I bought were from 2010 and 2011 that I havent tried

This year was pretty great, let's be honest. We got:

Hotline Miami

End of list. That's all that matters.

No but really, we had quite a few decent games:
Borderlands 2
The Darkness II
Sniper Elite V2
Spec Ops: The Line (well, if you ignore the game and focus on the narrative anyway)
Dishonoured
Far Cry 3
Mass Effect 3
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Planetside 2
Minecraft on the 360
Max Payne 3
Ghost Recon Future Soldier (some people liked it)
MGS HD on the Vita
The Walking Dead
Darksiders II
Sleeping Dogs
Counter Strike: Global Offensive
Guild Wars 2
Diablo III
Mark of the Ninja
FTL: Faster Than Light
Black Mesa (even if it is technically a mod)
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Doom 3: BFG Edition
Forza Horizon
Assassin's Creed III
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Zone of the Enders HD
Pid
Halo 4
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (shudder) (but some people love it)
Hitman: Absolution
Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends

And, of course: DayZ.

I know this is a subjective question and all, but I think 2012 was a very good year.

The only games that grabbed me were MOH Warfighter and F1 2012.
I was really excited for those two,watched trailers for hours and got rewarded for it. (IMO)
The rest of the games,as stated earlier, were a lack of inspiration, didn't have soul and were just there to make money.
The above was al my opinion and PS3 ;)

For me..

Enjoyed

Diablo 3 - This was the biggest release of the year on the PC, and a game that I spent an unhealthy ammount of time on, even if it might have disapointed based on expectations it was an awesome game.

Guild Wars 2

Pokemon Black/White 2 - This came out just around the time my mother bought a 3DS, I decided to grab it and I was impressed... Same old format but it is well polished, a great rpg.

I also got really into SimRaceway, still beta but things really picked up throughout the year, my most played sim racer of 2012.

Only real big disapointment for me was F1 2012, though I perhaps didn't give it a good enough chance, it pissed me off enough in the first few hours that I turned it off and haven't wanted to turn it back on since.

Some decent games this year, I enjoyed Sleeping Dogs and Forza Horizon. Next year is going to be good for me though, simply because GTA V. :D

I've been annoyed with codemaster's racing games on the ps3, they developed a reputation on the PS1 and PS2 platforms for making some great games and using brilliant idea's, sure the racing itself was not very real but still enjoyable, I would love a HD remake of race driver 2 and 3, but as far as their PS3 games, the dirt series have been fun but lack something, and the F1 games are really.... poor, their indy car games were cool too,

This year was pretty great, let's be honest. We got:

Hotline Miami

End of list. That's all that matters.

No but really, we had quite a few decent games:
Borderlands 2
The Darkness II
Sniper Elite V2
Spec Ops: The Line (well, if you ignore the game and focus on the narrative anyway)
Dishonoured
Far Cry 3
Mass Effect 3
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Planetside 2
Minecraft on the 360
Max Payne 3
Ghost Recon Future Soldier (some people liked it)
MGS HD on the Vita
The Walking Dead
Darksiders II
Sleeping Dogs
Counter Strike: Global Offensive
Guild Wars 2
Diablo III
Mark of the Ninja
FTL: Faster Than Light
Black Mesa (even if it is technically a mod)
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Doom 3: BFG Edition
Forza Horizon
Assassin's Creed III
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Zone of the Enders HD
Pid
Halo 4
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (shudder) (but some people love it)
Hitman: Absolution
Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends

And, of course: DayZ.

I know this is a subjective question and all, but I think 2012 was a very good year.

Yes this was fantastic year. And thanks to Mayan screw up 2013 will be even better.

Yes this was fantastic year. And thanks to Mayan screw up 2013 will be even better.
It wasn't a mistake - people just assumed. What they said was the new baktun would begin on 21st December...a new era. They even had a party for it.

And what do you mean, no new racing sims bevo - WRC 3 was pretty damn good - but I suppose you'd have to enjoy rally driving to consider it. They did up the ante from their previous games too.

I think FC3 on the FPS front MP will prove to be long lived - it is also a good game from a SP perspective.

As for whether or not 2012 was a good year, I have yet to play some of the games released, as I have been having too much fun with a few from previous years still - notably Dishonoured and BL2.

There were also a few games which have had their releases delayed, which is a shame.

Probably would have been better for me if i had a good PC, just for DayZ more than anything :drool:.
But for PS3, Borderlands 2 is the only 2012 game I own, and I love it. Far Cry 3 looks epic too and I'll probably get that at some time soon, and Blops2 actually seems pretty good from what I've played at on my mates 360.
And if you count DLCs, Aftermath for BF3 is also extremely fun.

So yeah I think this year has been alright, no good racing sims though:tdown:.

Well, dunno. Most games that have been considered great this year just weren't for me. Torchlight II and Diablo III were probably my biggest hits these year - and I'm not playing either anymore. Aside from that, I would assume that you might count DotA, but it's still only in beta, so it's not strictly a 2012 game. There's Counterstrike: Global Offensive, too, but that's mostly for LAN parties and such for me, so not the biggest hit eiter.

Compared to 2011, which offered games like Forza Motorsport 4, Dark Souls, and Skyrim, it's not all that great. In my opinion, of course.

And with the official release of DotA 2 and StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm being scheduled for 2013, as well as GTA V, Project CARS and Asseto Corsa, it would seem that 2013 could become a much more entertaining year for me.

Last edited:
I'm adding Zombie U to my games for the year - it is intense, hard and very absorbing.

I also need to say the Birds of Steel is a good title that can keep you involved for a very long time.

First, I want to say that I am a racing game junkie. Racing games are all I play 90% of the time I have more games that are about racing than games that are in any other genre. So that already rules out the majority of the games that came out this year that interested me.

That being said, the only notable game I bought this year was Forza Horizon. The best free roam racing game I bought so far. I've also been meaning to buy NFS: Most Wanted, but I personally don't want to pay the full retail price for it.

As for other games outside of racing, I heard a lot of good things about Pokemon B/W 2. Unfortunately, my interest in Pokemon games has died for the most part. I would get it otherwise.

Not really a good year. But the older you get the more games you played the more been there done that so not that surprising. Simracing we only got GSC 2012 but that is truly excellent on the other hand. To bad it comes so late that few will bother waiting for some more high profile holy grail. Next year we will hopefully get both Assetto Corsa and rFactor 2. I don´t trust Blimey making anything goot with Project CARS will see. I don´t know how much involved they where with TDFL but they made some insane bloopers with that one. However honestly it´s the arcade/simcade title I had the most fun with 2012 followed by WRC 3.

Regular gaming Dishonored was truly good. Not spectacular perhaps. Far Cry 3 was decent.

Biggest disappointments.

Max Payne 3 and F1 2012

I don't think it was that good a year. There are a couple games that I'll probably buy at some point. Namely Far Cry 3, Assassins Creed 3 and The Walking Dead game. I did get Journey and absolutely loved it. That's about it though. I was away from home and my PS3 for most of the year and upon returning from my trip I figured there would be a ton of games I'd want to check out. Not so much. 2013 looks promising but I feel like this console generation is winding down.

It wasn't a super-crazy-awesome year, but it was solid. Far Cry 3, Assassin's Creed 3, Dishonored, Halo 4, Sleeping Dogs, Borderlands 2, Mass Effect 3, Gravity Rush, Persona 4 Golden, Zone of the Enders HD collection, among others.

Sure, it's a lot of shooters. And a lot of sequels. And HD re-releases. But not every game can be as breathtakingly original as, say, Shadow of the Colossus or Journey. And we got Journey this year too, so there's that. :P

2013 is shaping up to be a pretty kickass year though:
The Last of Us
Beyond: Two Souls
BioShock Infinite
Ni no Kuni
Fire Emblem: Awakening
SimCity
Tomb Raider
Dark Souls 2
Fortnite
Elder Scrolls Online
Grand Theft Auto V
Remember Me
Star Wars 1313
Toki to Towa
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
Metal Gear Solid V?
New Pokemon Game... maybe a remake of Ruby/Sapphire for the 3DS?
The Last Guardian?
Gran Turismo 6?
Tourist Trophy 2?
Gran Turismo Vita?
Final Fantasy X HD?
Persona 5?
Playstation "Orbis" 4?
Xbox "Durango" 720?
OUYA?

Could be an amazing year. Based on what's slated for release in the January-March timeframe, it'll definitely be a solid year at the very least.

so with 2012 shorty to wrap up and 2013 to get under way, has 2012 been kind to us with video games and simulators, or has it been terrible and you want to get into the hype of game play marketed to us gamers for 2013?

personally, as a strict console gamer, the PS3 and XBOX 360 games 90% of games I feel thus far have been forced onto the market for making money, they all lack the heart and soul that the PS1 and PS2 games, so I'm very hesitant upon purchasing new product's and 2012 hasn't really provided me much light at the end of the tunnel to purchase at the spare of the minute, apart from the obvious heavy hitter's of AC3 and Black op's 2, (which my girlfriend brought for me as she got sick of me going into the game shop and looking at them for several minutes and not purchasing) I'm really hoping that this trend doesn't follow into 2013, but still yet to really be bedazzled by anything, so 2012 wasn't a disappointment more an continuance of low expectations,

ok, so this thread is starting to look like a rant but rest assured this isn't, I'm interested in your opinion on 2012 games, is there something I missed out on because I would impulse buy, or was my money better spent at the pub?

as for 2013, what's your view, what are you expecting?

I thought i was going crazy. Glad to know I'm not the only one that noticed this. Games this gen get so much publicity but are really not worth it.

I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm being sold the same product, just with a different label, as for project cars, I'm in love with the footage I have seen, BUT, upon research I have discovered that the burnout paradise people are making it, which means it will have spectacular graphic's and crash scenes but I expect the car handling to be horrid,

I'm kind of looking forward to metal gear solid, other then the fact its all about raiden! grr! the most hated character in console gaming, but if you pretend its snake and use snake camo I think I can battle through it,

@dave i think we can rest assured that Kojima Hideo is making Metal Gear essential.

Completely agree on the reselling part. Far Cry 3 was a huge letdown for me. I think NextBox and Fourbis will have better games. Now that they are ditching the cell processor they have no choice now for they cannot blame lazy devs whom don't know how to code for the system. If they release these betas in the future then those remaining playstation 2's may fly off the shelves. Only thing this gen was good for were numbers. Units sold, polygon count, and profit.

At the start of this year I felt like nothing much of what's coming 2013 interested me. But then I watched videos from a swedish gamingsite about the 30 most anticipated games for 2013 and changed my mind. Alot is coming our way for sure.

I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm being sold the same product, just with a different label, as for project cars, I'm in love with the footage I have seen, BUT, upon research I have discovered that the burnout paradise people are making it, which means it will have spectacular graphic's and crash scenes but I expect the car handling to be horrid,
Criterion are not the ones behind Project CARS, Slightly Mad Studios are, mainly known for the Shift series.

As for 2012, as a console only and racing game junkie, it's been pending between dissapointment and fairly good. The ones that got my attention were WRC3, Most Wanted 2012, Forza Horizon, F1 2012 and Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends. Out of these, I've only bought Most Wanted, but planning to pick up the rest of them, except for F1 2012.

I bought how many games this year? Just NFS Most Wanted 2 and Street Fighter x Tekken? Hah that was a lot less than I imagined.

Was it a good year? Considering how I don't play a lot of games nor do I expand my interests in genre or platforms, it's decent enough for me.

I might get Sleeping Dogs some time this summer, and I imagine it's a game that wouldn't disappoint me too much. I would've got WRC3 but they didn't release it in North America and I'm not desperate enough to import a copy.

Racing wise it wasn't great. I was really looking forward to f1 2012, but is was a total dissappointment. Wrc 3 was nice though.

2012 I bought mostly older games. Only tekken tag tournament 2 really did it for me this year.

other then AC3 I bought dirt showdown, that got traded straight away :lol: I'm extremely hesitant to by a NFS game after the shift 2,

Back