2012 questions

• Thread starter crossup
  • 9 comments
crossup125
I've driven the demo and sorta like it, mostly the cars physics seem more realistic than the Ferrrari's in GT5.
So, this being potentially the best F1 sim, I'm wondering about the following apparent(maybe it just the demo) major departures from reality:
1) the cars have reverse...and neutral...I know real F1's don't have reverse
2) qualy is only 1 lap?
3)no "solid" rev limiter? should have the stutter and that off tone sound
4)are we able to adjust the brake bias so one can trail brake AND turn? obviously that would be at the cost of a lot of braking power from the front but it should allow that

so my question is, are these only the way the demo is or is it the same in the full game/sim?

1) Yes indeed, they don't have.
2) You can change "the weekend" setting. Long weekend, short weekend, full weekend. It changes the amount of sessions.

1) Real F1 car do have reverse, but it's a bit tricky to use and dont work 100% of the times.

2) You have several ways of doing qualification. But you can do the same qualification as in real life, just can't have 3 FP there's only one.

3) Dont know what you're talking about, rev limiter is the same as in the demo tho.

4) You played a demo, there's a lot more in the full game obviously. Dont know really what you're saying here so I can't answer I usually brake in a straight line.

1. F1 cars HAVE to have a reverse gear. It's one of the first points in the regulations regarding transmissions and drivetrain.
2. No that's just that part of the game/demo.
3. F1 cars have a 'soft' limiter of 18000rpm. The engines could do more, as they did back in 2006-2007 (20000 for some of them) but have been tuned back due to the regulations and extra races each engine now has to do. Most racing cars will be soft limited in order to keep the engine from blowing due to overrevving it.
4. Trail braking and turning is a no-no for most single seaters. If you want to be fast in an F1 car, you have to learn to drive 'it's way'. Put the brake bias rearward for better turn-in when using trail braking techniques.

Thanks for the replies, been following F1 since the late '60s when I attended the Watkins Glen round. That said, I've never seen nor heard of F1 cars using reverse, but I will agree(now), the rules do indeed say its required which makes me glad I asked the question.
Basically I was trying to decide whether to buy or not based on the preceived flaws I mentioned, and thanks to your replies, I think I will buy it. Sounds like the sims accuracy exceeds my knowledge of F1 which means I can learn a lot, which I love.

They also have a sort of neutral gear. Only it's normally used if something goes wrong with the car and its needed to be removed by stewards. They press a button somewhere and it engages a "neutral" so they can just push it off.

Thanks for the replies, been following F1 since the late '60s when I attended the Watkins Glen round. That said, I've never seen nor heard of F1 cars using reverse, but I will agree(now), the rules do indeed say its required which makes me glad I asked the question.

Speaking of historic F1, check out the clip below... that is what I'd like to see from today's F1 with regard to a reverse gear (I think it's rubbish to watch them fumble to find it or be out of a race/session because it can't be engaged...) The only modern driver I've seen find reverse quickly was Schumi, can't remember where but it was this season or last.

They also have a sort of neutral gear. Only it's normally used if something goes wrong with the car and its needed to be removed by stewards. They press a button somewhere and it engages a "neutral" so they can just push it off.

That would be the big "N" button you see on the front of the car just in front of the cockpit.
And back to the thead, Yes buy it!! or F2010/ F2011 ,used, they are much the same,
The wheel "advanced settings" are different
But all good fun.

Last edited:
Back