2014 LMP1 regs as explained by the ACO

• Thread starter Hun200kmh
  • 25 comments
Portugal
Lisboa
FLAT_TWELVE
Whilst browsing I came upon this link, from the ACO's site. It is a 15 page-long PDFed document, I suppose it is the document the ACO delivered to the press during the press conference last June 14th.

http://www.lemans.org/wpphpFichiers...rence_de_presse/technical_regulation_2014.pdf

I have heard many critical opinions on these LMP1 regulations, and I am myself a lover of open prototypes, but overall I think the concerns addressed and the way the ACO (and FIA) have dealt with them is to be commended.

I especially like the "bring it on" attitude regarding engines. I have grown more and more against the whole idea of spec-racing, up to a point where I actually hate it. I look into the racing of old and I just love to see so many entirely different vehicles battling. If this is self evident in vintage footage of rallying and sports cars, it is also evident in the single seaters of old. I belong to a generation that heard the Cosworth V8s battling the Boxer 12s in F1. And that was great.

I think the ACO tried to keep it open, while at the same time trying to keep it safe, and not overly expensive. Moreover, I think the ACO tried to keep sports cars a proving ground for manufacturers and the technologies that interest them
from a R&D point of vue.

My biggest concern, however, is competitiveness. But, as you may read in the document linked, they reserve themselves the right to change the specs for any technical solution if the balance in the relative performance of the cars is not achieved.

About this "ability to change the rules" we can say, as Ardius about the DeltaWing, that an artificial "performance target" does not allow us to understand what technology is more efficient. And that is true already for a few years, because nobody can say if Diesel is better than Petrol, it's the regs that favour one or the other.

But the truth is that both types of engines get tested, pushed to the limits, and both technologies get developed and researched. Honda, Nissan, Toyota in the Petrol department, Audi, Peugeot and now Mazda in the diesel department. And, so far, I take it as a given that Audi (with Williams), Peugeot and Toyota's R&D "Hybrid" departments are hugely thankful to Le Mans racing for the data they have gathered (Peugeot only in testing, sadly).

PS - I know the 2014 LMP1 regs were already referred to in both the Race thread and the "openwheel racing" thread (because of the "open cockpit" debate) but their discussion in those threads is a bit off topic and in any case ends up "buried" between all the many on-topic posts.

PPS - I hope you enjoy reading the document linked. It's an easy read, and instructive too. And if we're willing to discuss the ACO's move, then it's better if we do it well documented! Let's all be armchair engineers and racing series organizers! ;)

And Tom "Mr Le Mans" Kristensen likes them too.

Autosport
Eight-time Le Mans 24 Hours winner Tom Kristensen believes the event's 2014 LMP1 rules package will both make sportscar racing more relevant to fans and ensure parity between different technologies.

Le Mans and World Endurance Championship organisers the Automobile Club de l'Ouest and the FIA announced last Thursday that from 2014 the regulations would be opened up to allow a greater variety of energy recovery systems, with a variable fuel allocation per lap designed to ensure performance equivalency between cars with different size hybrid devices, and petrol or diesel engines.

LMP1 hybrids' energy-recovery devices are currently limited to 500KJ, but under the 2014 rules, devices of up to 8MJ will be permitted. Audi scored the first Le Mans wins for a hybrid car last weekend with its e-tron.

Kristensen hopes the new rules package will lead to a greater variety of engine types and hybrid solutions racing equally at the front of the Le Mans field, and thinks it will tie in well with the growing role of eco-technology in road car design.

"It's perfect. The same for everyone. It's the right way to go," he told AUTOSPORT.

"For sure you will see more different concepts and it sounds brilliant.

"You need 24 hour racing and Le Mans to have relevance with what's going on in, let's say, real life - what the spectators arrive and drive in. I think this makes it exactly relevant to that."

The Dane also believes that the new rules, which equalise different technology systems through fuel allocations, will give the Le Mans organisers have a better chance of achieving performance equality compared to the restrictors used to try and get diesel and petrol engines on a level playing field in recent years.

"I think so [that it will work better], because you will of course see that some are able to adapt better to different circumstances," said Kristensen.

"Now it's up to some of the brains behind the scenes to try and optimise the different ways.

"It will still count for the world championship as well, so you'll have to think, OK, there are double points for Le Mans, but you need a solution that can work at different racetracks in all areas."

Fingeres crossed for major manufacturers make a huge comeback to Le Mans and all in LMP1 or LMP2!!

Porsche, Nissan, Mazda, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Jaguar, Lotus, Peugeot-doubt it but they could change their minds. 👍

Last edited:
The Eurosport commentators discussed the new regulations during the 24 hours of Le Mans. One of them said that the new specs (at a glance) may kill off privateers. The open-ish engine specs might create intense rivalry between manufacturers, but would also make it harder for privateers to be competitive and stay with the pack. What happens then when manufacturers drop out due to spending way too much money on their cars, leaving nothing behind.

I don't agree with what I've wrote, it's just something the commentator said and I thought was relevant to this thread.

Regarding making it harder for privateers to be competitive.

I would ask the Eurosport commentators how that would be any different to the last few years?

Additionally I'd ask them if they missed the bit that states that the ACO will protect the privateers.

I'm looking forward to the new regulations coming into force. They remind me of Group C.

Fingeres crossed for major manufacturers make a huge comeback to Le Mans and all in LMP1 or LMP2!!

Porsche, Nissan, Mazda, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Jaguar, Lotus, Peugeot-doubt it but they could change their minds. 👍

Mazda is coming back with a Diesel engine next year, but only as an engine supplier. I doubt they will do a full program with the financial issues they are currently having. I'm surprised they are even doing the engines.

Selling race engines can be a profitable enterprise.

It won't do them any harm unless the engine is no good.

The Eurosport commentators discussed the new regulations during the 24 hours of Le Mans. One of them said that the new specs (at a glance) may kill off privateers. The open-ish engine specs might create intense rivalry between manufacturers, but would also make it harder for privateers to be competitive and stay with the pack. What happens then when manufacturers drop out due to spending way too much money on their cars, leaving nothing behind.

This cycle have repeated itself so many times trough the different classes and forms of motorsports and yet the sanctioning bodies and rule makers don't get it.
Cost cap restrictions would keep it in check and retain more participants in the long run.

Regarding making it harder for privateers to be competitive.

I would ask the Eurosport commentators how that would be any different to the last few years?

Additionally I'd ask them if they missed the bit that states that the ACO will protect the privateers.

I'm looking forward to the new regulations coming into force. They remind me of Group C.

Group C spec 2? ;)

LMP2 has been geared towards privateer teams more, perhaps these changes are part of making LMP1 a factory division and P2 for the Privateers.

Driver position changed for 2014, is that a big deal for the weight balance? I don't know how much higher, but in the picture it's alot..

LMP2 has been geared towards privateer teams more, perhaps these changes are part of making LMP1 a factory division and P2 for the Privateers.

But what if Privateers felt like competing at the top level, LMP1 sounds a lot better than LMP2.

But what if Privateers felt like competing at the top level, LMP1 sounds a lot better than LMP2.

'Adjustment of the perfomance of the cars in the column without KERS if necessary to protect private teams wich use them.'

I don't agree with what I've wrote, it's just something the commentator said and I thought was relevant to this thread.

Isn't that kind of how Group C died to? (Also with a bit of Ecclestone involved).

Mazda is coming back with a Diesel engine next year, but only as an engine supplier. I doubt they will do a full program with the financial issues they are currently having. I'm surprised they are even doing the engines.

And don't forgot that Toyota also supplied the Lola-rebellions their engines and now they're back in Le Mans competing against Audi in the WEC. They were also on a limited budget this year too. Since Peugeot pulled out the ACO/FIA begged Toyota to join Audi for the full WEC this year and they accepted it.

So hopefully in the next couple of years or so, Mazda can step up their game to face their Manufacturer rivals, such as Audi, Toyota and Porsche.

Maybe Nissan can follow suit, after their incident with a Toyota in LM. ;)

I think that's probably a little bit too much like wishful thinking. I'd say the series is far more likely to get Formula 1 engine suppliers selling their product to Le Mans teams and/or opt for someone like Pescarolo or Starworks to run an unofficial works team, at least to begin with. The future of manufacturers at Le Mans hinges on the success of the regulations, so I doubt we'll see a glut of new works teams to begin with. Especially if Audi continue to dominate.

^ Well that's everyones wish I suppose but yeah I do really want more manufacturers to return to Le Mans where they belong and take on the Audi's to destroy their winning streak.

Maybe the manufacturers can either supply their engines to privateers teams to give them a chance to boost their confidence, just like lola-rebellion. Such a shame that Peugeot doesn't want to sell their 908 to privateers. Really wanting to see their hybrid4 in action this year. 👎

After all, we shall see the arrival of Porsche in 2014. Maybe a sneak peak of their developing LMP1 next year perhaps??

I do really want more manufacturers to return to Le Mans where they belong and take on the Audi's to destroy their winning streak.
They won't commit unless they think Audi can be beaten.

If I were a manuacturer looking at entering Le Mans, then I would probably wait until 2014. I would try and get my hands on something like the Dome S102.5, or the Lola B12/80 (I know Lola are in trouble, but it should be easy to acquire one and develop it for a year). I'd stick the PURE engine in it - possibly re-branded - and then find a privateer team to run it. Maybe Starworks or ADR or Boutsen-Ginion; someone with recent Le Mans experience.

These regulations look awesome, I hope it does attract more factory programmes, I want it to be like group C again

They won't commit unless they think Audi can be beaten.

If I were a manuacturer looking at entering Le Mans, then I would probably wait until 2014. I would try and get my hands on something like the Dome S102.5, or the Lola B12/80 (I know Lola are in trouble, but it should be easy to acquire one and develop it for a year). I'd stick the PURE engine in it - possibly re-branded - and then find a privateer team to run it. Maybe Starworks or ADR or Boutsen-Ginion; someone with recent Le Mans experience.

Im not sure how well Starworks would go, as far as "Experience" goes. They rock, sure, but this is STILL their first year.

But I agree, Grab a Lola (or even an Oreca), and tell someone else to run your engine.

I think we could see Mercedes as one of the first manufacturers to get their nose in on the WEC under the new regs. Taking a swing at Lexus(Toyota, if they stay in the WEC) and Audi, as far as marketing goes. They certainly have no shortage of drivers, between the DTM squad, and whoever their 3rd and 4th drivers are in F1. And they have money, so they could easily suck up a privateer driver or 2.

Probably not BMW, they seem pretty Gung-Ho on their DTM car(Indicated by the lack of Mini WRC and ALMS M3 funding). Which is weird, since I dont see what development can be done in a spec series... I'd bet more money on them entering the new M3 (When it comes out) in the GT class.

And I wouldnt count Mazda out either. Giving Dempsey a Diesel LMP2 engine may be a publicity stunt, but if it does well, I can see them coming back to Le Mans as a full manufacturer(Thus, LMP1).

This thread really ought to be merged with the Le Mans Discussion thread...

I heard 2014 will be:
Audi vs. Toyota vs. Porsche.

I also heard Lotus might move there T128 to the LMP1 Category while Peouget might return.

RESHIRAM5
I heard 2014 will be:
Audi vs. Toyota vs. Porsche.

I also heard Lotus might move there T128 to the LMP1 Category while Peouget might return.

Sources? Or just a wish scenario?

Back