2014 North America Discussion (US & Canada)

• Thread starter scca_ziptie
  • 1,618 comments
United States
Wilsonville, OR USA
scca_ziptie
mKxEjHP_zpsb4481bc8.png

2014 GT Academy North America/Canada discussions. Welcome Canada (with the province of Québec excluded for legal reasons), glad you finally got the green light to compete. Good luck everyone and may all your hopes and dreams be realized. :cheers:

--------------------------

UPDATE

After a phenomenal four rounds of the 2014 GT Academy, the field has been tentatively set for the national finals!!

Below is a list containing the 28 American and 4 Canadian drivers who are headed to New York!

Canadian drivers who have confirmed intent to compete at the National Finals in New York:

1. @iGoFast (thanks_eh)
  2. @Dacana (beatin_the_odds)
  3. @Forgetful Stephen
  4. brydes

US drivers who have confirmed intent to compete at the National Finals in New York:
  1. @EpicGonzago (ATW_Hero) - Gonzalo
  2. @VindictiveScrub - Brett
  3. @SilentAdrenalin (SilentAdrenaline) - Alex
  4. @L_Harrison - Landon
  5. @Speeder005 - Nicholas
  6. gtsc_prospect
  7. @Gojet (Gojet-64)
  8. purecry
  9. @fizzer (fizzer82)
  10. sabirknight
  11. @Kekambas91m
  12. @dgaf95integra (GTP_importlife) - Doug
  13. @SileightyCyrus - Cyrus
  14. @K1utch (GTP_K1utch) - Breylon
  15. @Adventuruss - Russell
  16. @Tyler Utley (proper_t11) - Tyler
  17. @Neovre - Edgar
  18. @dgriffin28 - David
  19. @Johndoe442200
  20. @jpe138083 - James
  21. @LoCoArMeN (TRC_locoarmen) - Armen
  22. @tguns16 - Tommy
  23. hydromatos22
  24. @parkermo125 (GTP_parkermo125) - Parker
  25. @scca_ziptie - Donald
  26. @NISMO_Nic (fourdoorz28) - Nic
  27. @Wanderlust2000 - Chris
  28. @PhilManGT (Black_uf0_55) - Philip

-------------------------

US drivers who have confirmed non-attendance:

@outlaw4rc (will not be attending national finals, confirmed)
hugh-jayness (will not be attending national finals-age, confirmed)
@Doodle (will not be attending national finals-age, confirmed)
@GumballCGT (should be self explanatory)
@z06fun (Silverstone finalist)
@gatordaryl (will not be attending national finals, confirmed)
@carracerptp (will not be attending national finals, confirmed)
@msgt-sd (will not be attending national finals, confirmed)
veloci-2nr (Silverstone Finalist)
@nofearmx94 (will not be attending national finals, confirmed)
teamrad_in1st (will not be attending national finals, confirmed)
ig-racing (will not be attending national finals, confirmed)[/USER]
travis453 (will not be attending national finals, confirmed)
mshelly091 (will not be attending national finals-age, confirmed)
SprintCupChamp1 (will not be attending national finals, confirmed)
@Vaca_Noche (gtsc_vacanoche) (will not be attending national finals, confirmed)
balkanknight (will not be attending national finals, confirmed)

If you are planning on attending and you don't see yourself on this list, please feel free to chime in and I'll add you to it!

Last edited:
How long did the qualifying period last in the past? How long would you speculate this years to last? Good luck everyone!

2012 was two weeks, 2013 was four, don't know about previous years. We'll just have to wait and see for this year, because it seems to constantly change format and duration... :rolleyes::banghead::lol:

Has North America been officially announced as the 21st as well? Everything seems to have been not including North America on every list I've seen so far...

My prediction for this year is that everyone in the US will be trying to see how close they can get to Doodle :)
Don't know if he is old enough for the finals yet though.
Hopefully this year's combo will be very difficult and challenging like last year, its hard to separate out the best of the best with something that is somewhat simple and short. In 2012 the US had something like 10 of the top 32 finishing with a 1'31.1xx.
Should be another good year of competition, will be fun to watch it unfold:tup:

Has North America been officially announced as the 21st as well? Everything seems to have been not including North America on every list I've seen so far...

I have the same reservations. I've asked GT Academy (North America) on their twitter, facebook and instagram accounts for clarification, but haven't received a response to confirm or deny the April 21st start date.

At this point, I'm inclined to think North America isn't starting on the 21st. There is no mention on the gran-turismo.com USA or Canada site. The only indication was a single post by GT Academy (North America) on their facebook page referencing a link to the United Kingdom, which talked about the European countries.

Hmm.. i skipped last year and uncertain if i'm gonna try this year again. It would involve buying a ps3, a copy of gt6 (that i'll never play again afterwards). The only thing i'd really be after is the free trip to nationals depending on were it is being held. At my age and my point in life racing professionally would really put a strain on my relationship. Especially considering the winners really don't get paid a wage technically. Who knows though maybe i'll give y'all a run for your money. ;)

Hmm.. i skipped last year and uncertain if i'm gonna try this year again. It would involve buying a ps3, a copy of gt6 (that i'll never play again afterwards). The only thing i'd really be after is the free trip to nationals depending on were it is being held. At my age and my point in life racing professionally would really put a strain on my relationship. Especially considering the winners really don't get paid a wage technically. Who knows though maybe i'll give y'all a run for your money. ;)

You don't even get a free trip to nationals anymore, you pay for it in taxes :)

Good luck to all the competitors!

If you're serious about winning and not just competing, it's never too early to start training physically and mentally. Also go racing asap :)

You don't even get a free trip to nationals anymore, you pay for it in taxes :)

Good luck to all the competitors!

If you're serious about winning and not just competing, it's never too early to start training physically and mentally. Also go racing asap :)

I payed taxes on my trip in 12 also. Didn't think about that. Makes my choice even easier. Good luck to all those competing though. It is an experience even only making it to the national finals just knowing you were good enough to be there is quite a feet especially if you go with people you've been racing with for years.

I payed taxes on my trip in 12 also. Didn't think about that. Makes my choice even easier. Good luck to all those competing though. It is an experience even only making it to the national finals just knowing you were good enough to be there is quite a feet especially if you go with people you've been racing with for years.

can you explain what those taxes amounted to?

I usually would get back close to 1,000 since i claim single with no children. It's been a while but i think i only got back around 100.00 that year. Like i said it's been a while so those figures might not be 100% accurate.

is that to imply that travel expenses and such were paid out of pocket by the contestants? and that you reported those expenses and got a deduction for them? (sorry if this is way off...)

is that to imply that travel expenses and such were paid out of pocket by the contestants? and that you reported those expenses and got a deduction for them? (sorry if this is way off...)

I think they're saying that the trip is free, however it gets reported to the IRS as a form of income... like gambling winnings, or if you win the lottery.

IRS taxes you on those.

I think they're saying that the trip is free, however it gets reported to the IRS as a form of income... like gambling winnings, or if you win the lottery.

IRS taxes you on those.

^^^^ exactly ^^^^. It gets reported as prize winnings. Therefore you'll get a 1099 in the mail and have to claim it as a form of income. Nothing is ever free in the long run.

Wow Canadas joining you, I can imagine the Canadians being very determined with this being their first shot! Good luck Canada and hopefully you know what it's all aboot! (I'm sorry I couldn't resist :D)

Wow Canadas joining you, I can imagine the Canadians being very determined with this being their first shot! Good luck Canada and hopefully you know what it's all aboot! (I'm sorry I couldn't resist :D)

Where'd you read that? New link?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm slow.

Oh we know what it's all about. The invasion from the Great White North starts soon. Get ready. Do you actually know how many Canadians would have qualified for the last one if we were allowed?

So, which of us is fast enough to get into the top 32 in Canada?

I vaguely recall being one of the fastest Canadians I saw in 2012, behind @Johnnypenso and various others. Typically, I think I actually was the 32nd guy in Canada.

So, this time around, it's going to be the top 32 in North America or top 32 in each country?

@ITCC_Andrew
details coming quite soon, no worries. But you'll have to be doing a lot better than just top 32 in Canada, I can say that.

So, which of us is fast enough to get into the top 32 in Canada?

I vaguely recall being one of the fastest Canadians I saw in 2012, behind @Johnnypenso and various others. Typically, I think I actually was the 32nd guy in Canada.

So, this time around, it's going to be the top 32 in North America or top 32 in each country?
You were? if you were I feel good about myself :P

:ouch: I was wondering about that, thanks @Wardez. I just remember being ecstatic (borderline insane, in typical "me" fashion,) checking the forums, and finding "Canada is NOT participating" and being broken-hearted as always seems to be the case.

To be honest, I've been in situations like that since 2005, where I've had people offer me the chance to be a professional racing driver, and then not having the funds, or not being able to make the test day because of school, or...

Gah. Just thinking about it is depressing me. I should really test myself this time, push to see how it would turn out.

Edit: @TheYaShoe, I officially hate you now. :P

I am perfectly happy as an apprentice mechanic. But, dayum I want to go to that bootcamp. Silverstone, fitness regime........ :eek: my sort of vacation! ;)

But I have probably 0 chance against Allibubba, lapierre and the other Canadians... Though I have proven that I'm capable of keeping up with @WRP001 and a few others in WRS ;) before I decided not to return.

@TheYaShoe, I'm going to refuse to acknowledge your existence for every sly comment you make because you're so certain that you're faster than me. Your dad's a freaking former rally star. Your grandpa's a former rally star with a good sense of humour and a soviet hat! Of course you're fast!

Back