2015 24 Hours of Daytona Interest Check - Daytona Speedweeks 2015

• Thread starter Peelster1
  • 13 comments
United States
Eastern USA
Peelster1
In 2013 and 2014, I've hosted Speedweeks at Daytona. In 2013, on GT5, it was just NASCAR's Daytona Shootout and Daytona 500 with qualifying the qualifying duel races. In 2014, I expanded onto Speedweeks including IROC, ARCA, NASCAR Trucks, NASCAR Nationwide Series, and NASCAR Cup Series. I was hoping to host a 24 Hour Daytona race last year, but GT6 was pretty new and it wasn't time to hold the race. I've been thinking about holding this race since GT5 and with the 24 hour cycle, I believe it is now time.

I would need help with this as I really don't have a lot of experience in tuning GT class and prototype cars to balance them for competition. I would mainly be in charge of organizing the race. The race would be the full 24 hours with both Prototype and GT classes, a complete set of rules as close to the real set of rules that IMSA uses as possible, (so yes, there would be a caution system in place) as well as driver swaps.

For driver swaps to work, the race would have to be run in Free Run mode, instead of Endurance. (Which would be the way I would prefer to run it anyway, as this can let drivers back in if they get disconnected, and would allow drivers to change their setup mid-race. We would have to do a pace lap to set up for a rolling start. [GT6's isn't that good.] The timer is not supposed to be running during this time, but in GT6 it would be from the very start in Endurance Mode.) Anyway, drivers would be identified by their team name, so if you do not have a team prefix before your username, you will need to make a new PSN.

For example, if your team is BRRT, @BRRT_Angel would not need to make a new account. However, if @redbullrider20 wanted to be on that team, he would need to make the PSN of BRRT_redbullrider20. These team tags will be used to identify the teams progress on track. (Example: BRRT_Angel is ready to stop driving and have redbullrider20 take over, BRRT_Angel pulls into pit road, fills the gas tank, presses the start button in order to stay on pit lane, and informs Race Control about the driver swap. Race Control logs the number of laps BRRT_Angel has completed, BRRT_Angel gets off the track, and leaves the room. redbullrider20, under the username of BRRT_redbullrider20, joins the room, gets on track, and begins driving. With redbullrider20 using the username of BRRT_redbullrider20, that will tell officials that car belongs to BRRT. It will be very important to keep in contact with your teammates, in order to schedule driver swaps, as team members that are not driving will not be able to just sit in the room until it is their turn.

The race would be run close to the actual race, in late January or early February. I post this thread to make sure there is enough interest for me to bother with setting up a full set of rules and procedures. Please post, even if you're not interested in running, but would be willing to help out with balancing the cars out. I'm looking for tuners, officials and of course drivers.

Last edited:
I am definitely interested in a 24 Hours of Daytona. My only real issue would be when GTPlanet is hosting their 24 Hour race as well. All I know at present moment is that its sometime in January.

I am definitely interested in a 24 Hours of Daytona. My only real issue would be when GTPlanet is hosting their 24 Hour race as well. All I know at present moment is that its sometime in January.
What she said. (ACTUALLY what she said, not that dirty interpretation crap.)

Are you referring to the N24 hosted by CORE or something else? Checking that thread, they are doing their race in March. I'm not aware of any other 24 hour races.

Last edited:
I'll try searching back to find a better timestamp.

NOTE: GTP 24 Hour race itself is January 31-February 1, which would likely mean qualifying for it would be January 23-25 at least. Having it either in early February or early January would both be decent ideas.

Here is the thread of the latest race. The dates are in the newest post. Keep in mind there is a 18 page private conversation also.
That's what I went off of.

I've changed the driver swap procedure slightly, based off of information from the GTPlanet Endurance Series. Speaking of which, that series looks extremely promising, as it made the GTPlanet news page and got it's own sub-forum. I'm still looking for interested parties for this series, and will work around the GTPlanet Endurance Series' schedule in order to avoid competing with it.

Back