2017 ARCA Racing Series

• Thread starter Carbonox
  • 10 comments
Finland
Intercourse, PA
Carbonox
Any followers of the Automobile Racing Club of America on GTP? To give you a quick introduction, it's essentially a "minor" but independent stock car racing league, separate from NASCAR and thus spared from the abominations that are the caution clock and Chase. (Of course, last season we saw some dominance from Chase Briscoe, but that's not quite as terrible as the championship being decided by only a handful of races. :P)

The schedule has been released and looks promising enough, still standing at 20 races. The main concern is, for me at least, the dwindled field sizes in tracks like Madison and Winchester, which severely affects the quality of racing as well. I wonder if the new cars and engines will make a difference in the long run.

xlarge.jpg

I haven't been able to get my hands on a concrete list of full-time participants for next season, but the most influential drivers I know of are Dalton Sargeant with Cunningham, Austin Theriault at Ken Schrader Racing, and Riley Herbst in a Joe Gibbs car. That equipment may well be overpowered, but he's gotta stay out of trouble too if he's planning on backing it into a title.

Oh wow, a new ARCA thread. Seemed like the minimal attention I got with my last one indicated no one else cared :lol:

Any recent news so far?

Oh wow, a new ARCA thread. Seemed like the minimal attention I got with my last one indicated no one else cared :lol:

Any recent news so far?
I was actually inspired to make a thread for this season because I saw yours some time ago. I sort of imagine that attention levels may improve from 2014 now that every race (or so I think) is televised.

One thing of decent importance I read about on the official site was that Kyle Weatherman is doing 10 races with Mason Mitchell Motorsport. I guess that'll be a more stable deal than getting juggled between multiple teams in 2016.

ARCA is one of the most unique series here in the United States. The diversity in races is wonderful for this stock car racing league. Its diversity alone is enough to even care about the series. I do remember our RACECAR making a thread on ARCA a long time ago. I do applaud seeing this thread here. 👍

Good luck to all drivers and teams this season.

For those who didn't watch, Fontaine got clipped, slammed head on into the wall, and flipped over. He was moving in the car.

So, I got around to viewing the Nashville race a few days ago. One of the most interesting stories I caught was that of a young driver named Thad Moffitt - no relation to Brett as far as I know, but a direct grandpa-grandson-relation with none other than Richard Petty. Nice to see that bloodline of racers isn't quite dead, which I thought had been the case ever since Adam's days.

Sticking the race details in a spoiler tag just in case.

Dominating the race only to get yet another 2nd place finish at the end just about summed up Kyle Weatherman's ARCA career. Also, the field depth was pretty nice - not perfect yet, but having a grid of competent drivers like this for the other short tracks as well would be a huge boost.

Back