• Thread starter Blackbird.
  • 16 comments

Blackbird.

Premium
United States
Bay Area
BlackbirdGTP
Blackbird5150
Well this little Audi has certainly caught my eye. Unveiled a couple of days ago for Americans to feast their eyes on. Yup this is the one we're getting and it, might I say, is glorious.

A few quick notes:

• All aluminum 2.5L 5cyl (57 lbs lighter than it's predecessor)
  • 400bhp & 354 ft. lbs.
  • Most powerful 5cyl on the market
  • 0-100 km/h in 4.1 sec
  • quattro

A few pictures shown in Catalunya Red
A1610531_full.jpg

A1610529_full.jpg

A1610530_full.jpg

A1610532_full.jpg

A1610535_full.jpg

A1610523_full.jpg

A1610525_full.jpg

A1610538_full.jpg

A1610539_full.jpg

From Audi's press release:
Audi will be presenting the most dynamic model of the A3 model series, the Audi RS 3 sedan at this year’s Motor Show in Paris*. With a 400 hp five-cylinder engine, groundbreaking efficiency and an even sharper look, it is the first compact Audi sedan to bear the RS label.

The new 2.5 TFSI outputs 294 kW (400 hp) – 33 hp more than its predecessor. That makes it the most powerful five-cylinder engine on the world market. Its 480 Nm (354.0 lb-ft) of torque is available at engine speeds between 1,700 and 5,850 revolutions per minute for outstanding tractive power. The compact RS model sprints from 0 to 100 km/h (62.1 mph) in just 4.1 seconds. It can attain a maximum speed of 250 km/h (155.3 mph); on request Audi will increase the electronically limited top speed to 280 km/h (174.0 mph). The unique sound of the five-cylinder unit intensifies an already emotionally charged driving experience. Its sound comes from having the ignition alternate between directly adjacent cylinders and widely spaced ones. The sound can be modified via Audi drive select.

With its light-alloy crankcase, the five-cylinder engine is 26 kilograms (57.3 lb) lighter than its predecessor. It employs a dual injection into the intake manifold and into the combustion chambers, as well as the Audi valvelift system for variable control of the exhaust valves. The result is optimal power development at a reduced consumption level.

Sportiness, top traction and driving safety
With lightning-fast shifting, the S tronic seven-speed dual clutch transmission transmits the power of the 2.5 TFSI to the quattro permanent all-wheel drive. Its electro-hydraulic multi-plate clutch distributes the drive torque variably between the axles. The electronic control combines superior stability with a high level of driving pleasure. The sportier the driving, the faster and more often will a large share of the torque reach the rear axle. The result: especially agile driving characteristics.

quattro management is integrated as a standard feature in the Audi drive select dynamic handling system, as are the steering, S tronic, engine management and the adjustable exhaust flaps. The driver can individually vary the operation of these components between the three modes comfort, auto and dynamic. The same is true for the optional RS sport suspension plus with adaptive damper control.

Wheel-selective torque control, an intelligent software feature of the Electronic Stabilization Control (ESC), rounds off the work of the all-wheel drive. In fast cornering it slightly brakes the inside wheels, which are under a reduced load. In this way it can transmit greater lateral power, making handling more fluid and stable. In addition, the RS-specifically tuned ESC comes with a sport mode for controlled drifting. The ESC can also be fully deactivated for especially sporty driving characteristics.

Progressive steering, four-link rear axle, a tight setup and lowered by 25 millimeters (1.0 in) relative to the standard model – the chassis of the RS 3 sedan is the perfect partner for the powerful drive system. From its stable center position, the RS 3 sedan spontaneously steers into curves and follows through with superior precision. The front brake disks have a diameter of
370 millimeters (14.6 in), while eight-piston calipers with large-area linings provide optimal deceleration. Alternatively, Audi supplies carbon-fiber ceramic disks in front. At the rear axle there are brake disks with a diameter of 310 millimeters(12.2 in). Standard on the RS 3 sedan are 19-inch wheels and 235/35 tires. 255/30 tires are optionally available in front.

Distinctive RS design outside and inside
The new top athlete in the compact segment also expresses its sporty character visually. The Singleframe with its three-dimensional honeycomb grille bears the quattro logo along the bottom. Underneath, a blade extends across the entire width of the front into the side air inlets, where it forms narrow funnels for better air flow through the wheel arches. LED headlights with their distinctive daytime running light signature are standard; Audi also offers matrix LED headlights as an option. Compared with an A3, the front track of the RS 3 sedan is wider by 20 millimeters (0.8 in) – the front wheel arches are accordingly wider flared as well. At the rear axle the wheels are spaced 14 millimeters (0.6 in) further apart compared with the basic model.

A fixed spoiler lip on the luggage compartment lid improves the separation of air flow. A distinctive diffusor insert with vertical struts and the large oval tailpipes of the RS exhaust system terminate the rear. Audi exclusively offers the RS-specific paint colors Nardo gray and Catalunya red as options.

The dark-toned interior welcomes the driver and passengers with illuminated door sills bearing the RS 3 logos as a standard feature. Black fine Nappa leather sport seats with RS logos on the backrests are standard. Optionally available are more contoured RS sport seats with integrated head restraints. Their covers are also diamond patterned and color-perforated. The RS sport leather steering wheel is flattened at the bottom. Inlays at the instrument panel and at the doors complete the atmosphere of sporty elegance.

Intuitive operation and high-definition displays
The flat hierarchies and intelligently linked context menus make operation of the Audi RS 3 sedan intuitive and ergonomic. The main control element is the rotary/push-button control on the console of the center tunnel. With the top infotainment system MMI navigation plus with MMI touch, the terminal includes a touchpad for scrolling, zooming and writing. Additionally included is a free text search feature that automatically completes the user’s input after entering just a few letters. The voice control processes questions and commands formulated in ordinary language.

Standard is an electrically extending MMI screen with a 7-inch diagonal. The two circular instrument dials are black with red needles and white scales. The centrally positioned driver information system includes a boost pressure indicator, an oil thermometer and a lap timer. The fully digital Audi virtual cockpit is optionally available. On its high-resolution 12.3-inch monitor the driver can choose between three display modes. They include a special RS screen that moves the tachometer to the center. On the left and right information appears on tire pressure, torque and g‑forces. When the transmission is operating in manual mode, a scale with a color background prompts the driver to use the steering wheel paddle or selector lever to upshift when approaching maximum revs.

Always online with Audi connect and Audi smartphone interface
An LTE module gets the Audi RS 3 sedan online. It brings on board the various services of Audi connect, including navigation with Google Earth and Google Street View, as well as information on fuel prices, the weather, travel and traffic. The information is displayed directly in the MMI, and operation is by way of the standard-equipped RS multifunction steering wheel, the rotary/push-button control and touchpad or by spoken command. Data is transmitted via the new Audi connect SIM, which is factory-installed in the car. With the corresponding data flat rate the customer can immediately use the services for up to three years free of charge – even in other European countries. In addition, the navigation systems include a Wi-Fi hotspot enabling passengers to surf the web with their tablets, smartphones and other mobile devices.

The free Audi MMI connect app offers many other features, such as transferring your smartphone’s calendar to the MMI. Through Aupeo! and Napster it affords access to countless music tracks and audio books. Destinations from Google Maps, points of interest (POIs) and the entries from the “Travel” service can be transferred from your smartphone to your car’s navigation system using the app. The Audi smartphone interface brings Apple Car Play and Android Auto into the car.

Selected apps for the phone, navigation and streaming services, for example, are then directly displayed on the MMI screen. The driver can control the apps using the various operating options in the car.

Attractive supplementary components complete the infotainment line. The Audi phone box inductively charges the smartphone according to the Qi standard and connects it to the car antenna via near-field coupling for optimal reception quality. The Bang & Olufsen Sound System produces an excellent sound experience with 705 watts of power and 14 speakers.

Arrive safe and relaxed at your destination thanks to new assistance systems
The RS 3 sedan is also the top of its class when it comes to driver assistance systems. They keep the car at the desired distance from the vehicle in front, assist the driver when changing lanes and staying within the given lane, detect traffic signs and help avoid rear-end collisions and pedestrian accidents.

New are the traffic jam assist, which briefly takes over the steering in slow-moving traffic up to 65 km/h (40.4 mph), the emergency assist, which automatically stops the car if required, and cross traffic assist rear. The latter system looks out for crossing vehicles when pulling out of a parking space.

The compact RS model will be launched in China and the USA from summer 2017 under the “Audi Sport” label.
Source

Personally i'm excited about this. It looks like a powerful package that will take on the M2 and CLA45

Last edited:
Looks great, too bad it is only available with a DSG on this side of the pond. That red looks amazing, too.

Looks great, too bad it is only available with a DSG on this side of the pond. That red looks amazing, too.

Everywhere. Audi will not offer manuals in their sportscar anymore :( Stupid....

Driving & Sound

While this is out of reach for most of us:

The LMS version (due to regulations only with a 4pot)
Audi-RS-3-LMS-6.jpg

Audi-RS-3-LMS-1.jpg

Audi-RS-3-LMS-4.jpg

The LMS is rumored to cost around 110000-130000 €. Which for a fully fledged race car is quite affordable (for racing teams)

I like it, but the TTRS is delayed again. Information why is not really public, but it's obvious that there seems to be a hiccup somewhere....

Unfortunately, Audi is rapidly shying away from manuals.(correction, they've completely gotten rid of them [in the US market at least]) Case in point the B9 S4 will not offer a manual unlike the B8/B8.5. To add insult to injury they're giving it the ZF8. Now the ZF8 is a solid tranny but driving the DSG in my B8.5 I feel as if there will be something to be desired there. Right now the only downside I can see is the M2 offers a manual and the RS3 will not. It doesn't bother me personally. However, for some reason if I were to buy an M2 i'd opt for the manual.

Anyway I think the RS3 might be a little bit more expensive then the M2.

Last edited:
Everywhere. Audi will not offer manuals in their sportscar anymore :( Stupid....

Driving & Sound

While this is out of reach for most of us:

The LMS version (due to regulations only with a 4pot)
Audi-RS-3-LMS-6.jpg

Audi-RS-3-LMS-1.jpg

Audi-RS-3-LMS-4.jpg

vs interior on the stock

Audi-RS-3-Limousine-7.jpg

The LMS is rumored to cost around 110000-130000 €. Which for a fully fledged race car is quite affordable (for racing teams)

I like it, but the TTRS is delayed again. Information why is not really public, but it's obvious that there seems to be a hiccup somewhere....

True I was surprised the RS3 was revealed before the TTRS. Think they're trying out a new engine, or using the same one that's in the RS3?

Edit: Oh my goodness that sound. I knew it would sound close to a V10 but it really sounds like one. :drool:

I know I said I'd keep my Miata for awhile but... what can I say? I didn't see this coming.

The hatchback RS3 that is available in Europe still uses the old 5 pot (370hp)...

This one will use the same engine as the TTRS (Alu block vs cast block). One info I got is the bucket seats with ventilation didn't pass the safety tests. These were the same as in the R8, and they've been pulled from the R8 offering as well....

The TTRS should have been available for order in mid September. Was postponed till the end of the month, and is apparently out for config for october...

It's a bit wierd, rumors are strong on the internet, but nobody knows for sure why this is....

The decision to switch certain cars from DSG to tiptronics, according to Audi, is that the DSG has problems with high torque specs... Something tuners had no problem with to have 600Nm on a DSG....

Audi does make some wierd choices lately...

I do like the RS3 Sedan thou....

But if I were in the market now, the choice between this and the M2 would be really really hard to make...

Wow you could fit your whole head in those exhaust tips.

Nice looking car though. I'm assuming this would be in the M2 type of MSRP?

The hatchback RS3 that is available in Europe still uses the old 5 pot (370hp)...

This one will use the same engine as the TTRS (Alu block vs cast block). One info I got is the bucket seats with ventilation didn't pass the safety tests. These were the same as in the R8, and they've been pulled from the R8 offering as well....

The TTRS should have been available for order in mid September. Was postponed till the end of the month, and is apparently out for config for october...

It's a bit wierd, rumors are strong on the internet, but nobody knows for sure why this is....

The decision to switch certain cars from DSG to tiptronics, according to Audi, is that the DSG has problems with high torque specs... Something tuners had no problem with to have 600Nm on a DSG....

Audi does make some wierd choices lately...

I do like the RS3 Sedan thou....

But if I were in the market now, the choice between this and the M2 would be really really hard to make...

Are you planning on trading in your TT for the new RS? The DSG in the B8 (and some B8.5s) was a real problem. It loomed over my head if I did anything to my car and it did fail I would be out of a lot of money. But i'd like to think 4 years later they got whatever was wrong with it fixed and hopefully shifts a bit faster. Seems like the only thing to think about between the M2 and the RS3 is if you really want a manual or not. I think the interior is a cut above the M2. Subjective thought though.

Wow you could fit your whole head in those exhaust tips.

Nice looking car though. I'm assuming this would be in the M2 type of MSRP?

I think the RS3 will be a few thousand more starting (maybe $54k) At the same time I don't think many options will be available. However, carbon ceramic brakes are optional and per usual that will be at least... what, a $6-7K option? Unless you plan to track it it's completely unnecessary. On a $150-$180k car like the R8 throwing $7K at it isn't a big deal but that kind of money for a $50k car is hard to swallow. If my starting MSRP is accurate at all that would immediately catapult it into the $60k bracket. :indiff:

In short: The M2 will most likely be the cheaper buy, and still a good buy. The Audi will have more in power and technology (in the interior anyways). If Audi is able to keep the starting price around the M2 that would be astonishing. The CLA45 isn't much of a contender IMO. It's stupidly easy to encroach on the $60k territory adding things it should already have. So unless you really want a budget AMG the M2 and the RS3 will be better buys.

Last edited:
Are you planning on trading in your TT for the new RS? The DSG in the B8 (and some B8.5s) was a real problem. It loomed over my head if I did anything to my car and it did fail I would be out of a lot of money. But i'd like to think 4 years later they got whatever was wrong with it fixed and hopefully shifts a bit faster. Seems like the only thing to think about between the M2 and the RS3 is if you really want a manual or not. I think the interior is a cut above the M2. Subjective thought though.

I think the RS3 will be a few thousand more starting (maybe $54k) At the same time I don't think many options will be available. However, carbon ceramic brakes are optional and per usual that will be at least... what, a $6-7K option? Unless you plan to track it it's completely unnecessary. On a $150-$180k car like the R8 throwing $7K at it isn't a big deal but that kind of money for a $50k car is hard to swallow. If my starting MSRP is accurate at all that would immediately catapult it into the $60k bracket. :indiff:

In short: The M2 will most likely be the cheaper buy, and still a good buy. The Audi will have more in power and technology (in the interior anyways). If Audi is able to keep the starting price around the M2 that would be astonishing. The CLA45 isn't much of a contender IMO. It's stupidly easy to encroach on the $60k territory adding things it should already have. So unless you really want a budget AMG the M2 and the RS3 will be better buys.

No I keep my TT, as it's the last generation of manual RS...

I think the biggest difference between the entry RS und the entry M is the drivetrain. If you want a daily, it's the Audi, if you want a more track oriented car the BMW.
The 1M and M2, both are very tailhappy, which in rainy or wintery conditions needs an aware driver.... the audis can be driven fast in those conditions with lots of safety left....

The ceramics are nice, but outside of Germany not really necessary (if not tracked)... though I managed to bulge my discs too. Lots of TTRS, RS3 in Germany fight with the brakes after an autobahn run, breaking down from 250km/h to 120 is not good for these brakes as the cooling is subpar. Something Audi never managed very well....

On the pricing : I think the base Audi is about 5k more expensive than a base BMW.

A well stuffed M2 will be around the price of the old TTRS (75k). The new ones (according to the few exemples shown in Neckersulm) are around 82k. Without Ceramics or "bucket" seats

Also just saw this in the German RS Forum :

TTRS postponed till 2017, to be in line with the 40th anniversary from the 5pot, according to Audi.
Then someone says that I was planned for summer 2016, which Audi replies : We don't know what the reason behind the postponing is....

:confused:

Quite expensive for car that fits TCR regulations. The Golf with the exact same engine is €77k and the successful Seat Leon Eurocup car is €70k.

The dual clutches are the way of the world in fat cars nowadays. Just prepare to leave your car at the dealership for a week if it needs replacing. Add 2 weeks if parts need to be ordered, rebooking and if any techs are available.

Other than that, it's what the race cars are using. I prefer manuals, but welcome this car itself. Owners should be encouraged to do a few track days. 400hp is terrible to waste on morning commutes only.

That diamond pattern on the seats looks hideous. Personally I would prefer if they made it look more extreme but I suppose that's just the subtlety of German sports cars. Otherwise it's pretty cool. I like what they did to the front bumper.

Standard on the RS 3 sedan are 19-inch wheels and 235/35 tires. 255/30 tires are optionally available in front.

This option could add some oversteer into play, especially if the driver fully deactivates ESC. I presume Audi is aware of problems that torture all S and RS models.

I don't like the fact you can't order manual transmission and somehow excessively puffed up body given its dimensions.

Back