2017 Formula 1 Rolex Australian Grand PrixFormula 1 

Personally I'm not a fan of the 2 second pit stops in F1. I appreciate the difficulty of it all, and the precision....but as something to watch for entertainment, I'd much rather watch a Super Formula or Super GT pit stop, with only 2 or 3 guys working on the car. Watching 1 guy change a tire is far more entertaining than watching 4 guys change a tire.

22-23 guys doing the work of 6

Or, in the case of NASCAR/Indycar, 6 doing the work of the 4 you get in WEC (and 1 of those is helping with the driver change).

glorified time trial

That describes all motorsport everywhere (bar drifting and non-timed events).

I find F1 pitstops incredible to watch, and they're right for that series. I love how so many people can be so in time in such a high-pressure environment.

I also find NASCAR pitstops incredible to watch, and they're right for that series. I love the "pewpewpewpewpew" and spent wheelnuts flying everywhere.

I also find WEC pitstops incredible to watch, and they're right for that series. I love how the 2 tyre changers almost dance around the car.

The pitstops aren't better or worse between series, just different. None are particularly unsafe, except in the tightest of pitlanes - something that's common across all series.

1 person per side tyre changes are fine in a series where races are endurance events, and pitstops are there for changing drivers, but they're nowhere near the oiled precision of a 2 second tyre change.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/h...o-easy-889447/

"We did some good progress in the mono-cylinder on the dyno, but as soon as we complete the V6 engine we had many issues.

"What we achieved in mono-cylinder is at a very good level, but when we transfer exactly the same specification to the V6 engine it doesn't work. We are very disappointed. But it was too late that we noticed that – at Christmas.

"We have huge vibrations," added Hasegawa, who says Honda's new engine currently produces "almost the same power" as the 2016 unit.

In other words, we don goofed.

At most in this current season you'd expect 10 cars at once, but realistically there is enough room for these guy to work on one car with another stacked (from the same team) behind it, while another team is servicing their car.

McLaren did exactly that when Alonso and Hamilton fell out

McLaren did exactly that when Alonso and Hamilton fell out

So did Mercedes with Lewis and Nico. That's why I bring it up, but it's so rare to use it since it essentially harms the second car in the stack that I just stuck with at most ten cars in the pit boxes, one from each team. That's not what I'd call a very heavy pit road compared to say 25 individual cars.

Wrong thread

I know I'm late, but what a boring race - and I usually love the Australian GP. Glad I didn't go for that SKY sub lol.

Well, off to the next race, hopefully that's better! :)

Back