2019/20 FIA Exhibition Series Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by nissman, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Schalkehelmi

Schalkehelmi Premium

I have to use Hard Tyres one time in the Manufacturer race, or?

CurbHog likes this.
  2. CurbHog

CurbHog

Yes

JEverettL, Pigems and Schalkehelmi like this.
  3. praiano63

praiano63 Premium

Totally crazy nation race. PD put a standing start for this race and turn one is a mess nobody escape. You're bumped , smashed , fly in the people in front ..... and take huge penalties for all this. Stupid idea Mr PD race organizers.
    Above this P1 and race win was for a spanish cheater doing wall riding all race long. Again PD , is it so complicated to don't let this happen ??
    What a stupid race . I will have to find a strategy for the next slot .
    Need a total revisit of damages and penalty system . Urgently.

4. watto79

watto79

So 6pm Nations was interesting. At least 2 people wall riding turn 1 every lap and then absorbing the 1.5s penalty. One of them finished with a blue SR.......
    Neither of them won the race. It was very frustrating to see though. Will write up more later.

SmokeyMR2, T_revisio and Pigems like this.
  5. 05XR8

05XR8

i wasn't phased where I was going to start. It was 10:30pm and wanted to race.
    I did the same thing in the SF19 race(pitted on lap 1, was last and finished 5th).

Wasn't tying to set a pole lap. Did one lap and waited.
    Moving up 7 spots into the top 10, seems like it hasn't cost me.

Winnie847 and Pigems like this.
  6. Lilium

Lilium

Ended Up quitting my Manu race after the Chicane of Death reapin a a guy, andwhile i swerve to avoid him, he swerved into me. I was the only one who standed facing the wall, stop dead.

was in a room worthing 2700 points, with Super Gt on it. and I was just caughting the train Super GT was on. a shame. I think i was going to finish well, after qualifying 18th.

Pigems likes this.
  7. breeminator

breeminator

The first part went according to plan:

fia_manu_16102019_qual_result.jpg

The second part, not so much. I didn't quite account for the cold tyres enough and glanced the wall in the middle of the first pass through the chicane of death, allowing the Jag that started 2nd to pass me into the next hairpin. I pulled off the same move a few laps later to re-take the lead, but the NSX is easy pickings for the Jag down the straight, so I was back into 2nd. I decided it was pointless to try to overtake, as he'd just re-pass, so instead I switched my attention to minimising fuel use and tyre wear. He pitted on lap 5, whereas my plan was to pit on lap 6, so I used full fuel for lap 6 to try to achieve the overcut, but his first lap on fresh softs was too fast compared to my 6th lap on softs, so I left the pits behind him. I caught up again, and resumed building my war chest of fuel reserves while trying to keep it nice and smooth to save the tyres for another overcut attempt. He then pitted again on lap 10, again going from softs to softs, so again my overcut attempt failed, and I came out behind him after I pitted again on lap 12 and went onto hards. I was about 4 seconds back at that point, and he was able to pull away a bit more, particularly early on in my stint on hards, as the cold hards are very slow for the first lap. But I used up some of my war chest of fuel to minimise the damage, and by the end of his stint my hards were actually faster than his softs, so I started to close the gap. When he pitted on lap 15 to finally move onto the hards, I saw his fuel was down to 2% and knew it was game over provided I didn't do anything silly. So the total race time was quite slow due to spending so much of the race cruising along behind him, but the win was accomplished for my best points of this season:

fia_manu_16102019_race_result.jpg

8. Tidgney

Tidgney Premium

We are live!!! But this time on twitch (Info about that in the 10k video special). Feel free to come join me for the manufacturer series at one of my favourite tracks!!

9. Rangeraus

Rangeraus

What is the record for lowest number of points available for a top-split race ever?

Won the final Nations slot last night for a total of... 1322 points.

10. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

Well I had my one shot and made an ok fist of it. Qualified 5th with a mid 46 on my first flying lap. Made a mistake on my last ditch attempt, took so long to get out of the pits at the start that where I was getting 3-4 flying laps in practice lobbies, I had 2 in this one.

Started ok, quickly up to 4th then clipped the wall through the first chicane and lost the place straight back. Was having a decent fight with a GTR, got dive bombed by a Scirocco who came from a mile and two places back in the last right of the Esses. In the end his aggressive nature got him the penalties he deserved.

Anyway, was in the position to run the strategy I wanted of S-H-S with a long middle stint and pushing the two stints on the softs. Was running 5th I think when I got overtaken by @VulcanSpirit on L12(?) and seriously considered trying to follow him and run the hards to the end with 7th 7s back. After losing nearly 2s though on the next lap I stuck with my strategy hoping the fresh tyres would give me a better shot so pitted on 13 for softs and a splash of fuel. Then came out in TWELFTH!!! Right behind a group of four who were battling hard. Top six was out the window now and it was a case of trying to salvage a top ten. I was much the quicker of the group though and with picking my moments I managed to get past them all by the end of L16, going three abreast down the S/F straight (should have saved the replay!) up to 8th. I was closing in fast on 7th for the last two laps but not fast enough to take the spot (until he had a pen for not using hards!).

As it turned out had I not made the extra stop I'd have still finished in the same place but can't complain, finished top Aston, and 1300+ points for 7th plus DR up 700 or so

Edit: Should add for what it's worth, I was door #20, so 7th could have been way above and beyond expectation

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    SmokeyMR2, breeminator, Pfei and 2 others like this.
  11. Adam Barber

Adam Barber

I'm hoping that by doing a 6/6/6 strategy I may get some help from Satan or the shadowrealm, either is good with me.

Ashthebash, Master Weasel and watto79 like this.
  12. stpatty

stpatty

Manufacturer: Arse, finished last and ran out of petrol, am debating trying again
    Nations: Started 5th, got a 4(!) second penalty in the inevitable turn 1 carnage, was 4th, 5th caught up and I tried to let them through for some slipstream swapping, slowed me down massively, and they didn't pit anyway, so I ended up 6th, not a bad race all in

13. stpatty

stpatty

Ed - double post, sorry

14. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

I did 5-8-5 in the Aston. Laps 7 and 8 on the hards are very comparable, if not quicker than L6 on softs.

But if you're after some demonic help then definitely stick with 6-6-6!

15. Adam Barber

Adam Barber

Don't want to spend most of the race on the slowest tyre though, and the shifts are sooo much faster initially it's not really worth it.

16. DK

DK Premium

Started 9th, finished 9th with a 1-stop strategy (pitting on L8) at Tokyo. Naturally, the winner was a wallrider, I was 3 seconds a lap off his dubious pace, but at least my SR's intact.

17. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

They're faster initially but I was more concerned with the end of the stint than the start. Depends how much drop off you're getting by L6, if you're hanging onto the car for the last lap of the stint, those extra two laps on the hards take it away. And in my case, in practice my L7 and L8 on hards were quicker than my L6 on softs, so I binned off the 6 lap soft stint and added a couple of laps to the hard stint

SmokeyMR2 and Adam Barber like this.
  18. xxPinkyKissxx

xxPinkyKissxx

A8FA41D9-1A09-4088-A3D9-9344854D093B.jpeg

That’s how I qualified. Was feeling confident to finally get a top 10 result!

The race...is still going! I’m sure they’re having a lovely time!! A shameful rage quit from me after 2 big accidents and ending up in last 20 seconds behind the next car. :guilty:

Thinking of giving up on this series completely now :tdown:

GT5Power and CurbHog like this.
  19. Adam Barber

Adam Barber

6/6/6 worked well, but a poor exit out the final corner effectively cost me 2 spots as the 2 cars just Infront of me were fairly close and had a good out lap so they came out just Infront of me.

JEverettL and Ashthebash like this.
  20. JEverettL

JEverettL Premium

Congratulations on your win in the group 4 NSX!! As someone that's also with Honda this season, this is very good to see.

Very nice top 10 qual. I encourage you to keep going with the series if you can. I too had my doubts about this exhibition season and rage quit during Interlagos after spinning out during qualifying. I certainly have a one way love affair with mid engined Gr3/4 cars. Promised myself that would be the last time I rage quit, no matter what. Sometimes that's much easier said than done. :-) Not happy with BMW?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2019
  21. VulcanSpirit

VulcanSpirit

Well, well, well... tonight's Manufacturers was a roller coaster ride in every sense of the word.

Entered the 19:20 slot alongside @SmokeyMR2 and @Ashthebash, where I was promptly ranked as the first seed (don't ask me how!). Compromised my first qualifying laps by following an NSX a little too closely, initially setting a personal best of 1:47.559 with my second. Improved to a 1:46.855 on fresh Softs, which was good enough for me to start 9th, just .993 off pole. Not quite close to the 1:46.517 I set in practice, but the Viper, once again, felt like it had good pace beneath it.

After much deliberation, I opted to go for a two-stop again, this time on a Soft/Soft/Hard tyre strategy. Several test lobbies proved that this could potentially work well, providing that I could keep the tyre wear and fuel consumption in check. That meant a lot of short-shifting and mix adjustments throughout, but a best total time of 32:55.479 - set earlier in the morning - suggested that I wouldn't have to sacrifice too much speed in the long-run.

Not going to lie, the first half of the race was wild. Caught up quickly to a couple of groups fighting for 4th and 7th places, the second between a GT-R and a Frentley Mustangtinental, who loses a lot of speed coming out of the downhill S's. The Toyota who started 4th bins it at the final corner; a couple of attempts to pass the Mustang lead to me being passed by a fast-charging McLaren. A compromised run from the last S-bend leaves me on edge, for I am at the mercy of not one, not two, but four cars trying to slipstream their way past on the start/finish straight. Thankfully, I survive, and catch up to the Mustang's bumper again, eventually passing him with a strong drive up the hill. On Lap 5, I mess up my entry through the final S's, which leads me to believe that my first lot of softs have lost their bite. Rather than risk losing more time - and thus a place to the Lexus - I decided at that moment to pit early for fresh rubber, with precisely 13 laps of fuel remaining.

Returning to the midfield, a battle-scarred Honda is dispatched, then a late lunge on a Citroen brings me right back into the mix for 5th. The black and blue GT-R runs very wide at the second hairpin, as does the Red Bull-liveried Aston (was that you, @Ashthebash?), allowing me to get into another great scrap which brings the Citroen back into play. Following an off for the Jamaican-liveried Scirocco and a good run on the Citroen down the main straight, I am up to 7th, which becomes 5th when both the GT-R and Aston run wide at the second hairpin again. This gave me the opportunity to build a gap of 7.7 seconds between myself and the GT-R by the time of my second stop on Lap 11. The frequent battling meant that I had burnt slightly more fuel than I initially planned, so a splash and dash (about 3-4% extra) was also added just to be safe.

Slotting between the Red Bull Aston and a black TT Cup, I engage in a close and patient battle for 6th, which ends up with me taking the place from the Aston on the fast kink after the last hairpin. A pitstop for the GT-R promotes me up to 5th again; from there, it was a case of getting to the finish without running out of fuel or crashing at the death chicane. Must admit that the pressure began to build up in the final laps when the GT-R made big gains on fresher treads. This was especially apparent through the downhill S's, where I was struggling to get decent lines - and decent speed - on the harder compounds. Yet, despite this deficit, the Viper held on; a last lap with minimal fuel-saving and better lines brought me home in 5th. Some way off challenging Smokey and the McLaren, but good enough for a season-best score of 1,568 points - the highest earned by the Viper experiment so far.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20191016201528.png

Survived the death chicane with only a few scrapes, and, if my KP statistics are anything to go by, came out less than 500 points away from A+ rank again.

Wow!

Don't give up. I've been in similar situations before where chances of a good finish were wiped out by big crashes, penalties or both, and have felt like quitting because of it. Rest assured, these things happen to all of us, even the top split players. The best thing to hope for is for better luck in the next race - you seem to have good qualifying pace within your lobby, that's for sure. :tup:

22. stpatty

stpatty

Had another go at Manu. Having to use softs would have been more of a challenge for the GT-R. I look forward to reading about @OutlawQuadrnt's win tomorrow morning, that usually happens when I have a disaster in the Gr.4 car.

23. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

Yep, was me in the Red Bull Aston, god knows what happened around that hairpin (twice!), was just like the front end lost all grip. I wasn't particularly close to the GTR and didn't brake late so was taken by surprise on both occasions to be honest!

VulcanSpirit likes this.
  24. VulcanSpirit

VulcanSpirit

Had that happen to me quite often in test lobbies; that hairpin is much more challenging in reverse, I find. Good job on getting 7th, by the way - those midfield battles were intense!

JEverettL and Ashthebash like this.
  25. Lost Sheltie

Lost Sheltie

Things I learned tonight:
    1. You need to practice driving 600hp cars in the wet (10 mins before the race isn't enough)
    2. Grid starts are a bad idea in the wet
    3. Cheaters can prosper
    Nations was a bit of a disaster for most people in my race tonight. A guy was wall riding, got pole, then botched the start and caused a big accident at the first corner, didn't get a penalty and drove off to victory as he continued to cheat for the whole race. I had no pace so started 20th and didn't much of this, but with the carnage I managed to work my way up to 11th so was happy enough as my pace improved through the race. I did pit as I didn't trust my skills for driving on very worn tyres.

Manufacturers didn't go much better for me in quali, only managing to get 13th after a poor lap, but my strategy of starting on the hards and doing 5 laps, and then doing 2 sets of softs worked well and I managed to work my way through the field up to 4th. Made a few minor mistakes but was pretty solid.

GT5Power, Hasnain282, DK and 5 others like this.
  26. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

Tell me about it! I wish I'd saved the replay just for the couple of laps after my last stop (and to show that Scirocco being a menace!) I'll learn the more I do!!

This has been my first concerted effort to do FIA races and I love it, wanted to get over 5k points for this exhibition series and there might be a chance if I can have a couple of solid runs in between now and the end of the races

VulcanSpirit and JEverettL like this.
  27. schnick

schnick

That's just a combination of it's very late for the bulk of the region/smaller player pool/it's only exhibition series

28. Keith2324

Keith2324

Is it me, or is the racing getting worse and worse? :banghead:

29. Rods

Rods

Here I am, quoting myself... My post here was 100% a prediction of what my race ended up being.

the car was fast over one lap, I took pole on a really strong lobby and was mega happy about it.

I enjoyed my time at the front until two Toyotas took the lead from me on lap 4. I proceeded to pit and pit again, and again.

A 3-stopper (4S-6H-4S-4S) that ended up being the only race ever when the pole sitter finished 9th and was happy about it.

btw: I know most people made tires last longer, I’m just really bad at it with FWD cars.

30. GT5Apex

GT5Apex

Raging!!!! I was just doing the last manufacturer race and i was in 5th position and i was just about to cross the line to start the final lap and then my damn internet crashes. FS!!!