2019/20 FIA Exhibition Series Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by nissman, Sep 13, 2019.

1. 05XR8

05XR8

Looking forward to to tonight's races. I'll probably be killed in the Indy race, but should be fun with such short laps. Shame lapped cars are ghosted. Would be interesting moving through traffic or being lapped, if cars weren't ghosted.

CurbHog and Pigems like this.
  2. SpecMiata-JSW

SpecMiata-JSW Premium

I agree on the ghosting. Ghosted cars make passing lapped traffic convenient, but these are FIA races and should have elements of risk and getting passes done cleanly and efficiently.

CurbHog and Pigems like this.
  3. Rods

Rods

I mean, in an ideal world, that’d be super fun. On the other hand, I think PD is right not to trust the average GT-er with lapped car overtaking.

I can see folks ramming lead cars out of revenge or even just out of spite. No way that would work.

CurbHog, dlshearon, Pigems and 7 others like this.
  4. Cerebral303

Cerebral303

Would Sir like to race Group 4 at Brands Hatch, or instead Group 4 at Brands Hatch?

Looks like Porsche should be OK at Manufacturers given the 4 entries in the Top 10.

Pigems and Rods like this.
  5. LeGeNd-1

LeGeNd-1 Premium

I can't believe we have 2 Gr.4 races at Brands. Bonus points to PD for creativity (not). At least for me it's going to be a case of 2 extremes: trying to go flat out in the Nations Megane Trophy Cup and trying to survive in the Pug Gr.4 Manu :lol:

Last Manu race 2 Caymans who started behind ended up ahead of me on a 1 stop strategy despite me driving a near faultless 2 stopper. Even with the toned down tyre wear FF cars are still woefully disadvantaged. I feel like Manu races should be further subdivided by drivetrain. FR/MR cars should be separated from FF/4WD to make things fairer. You just can't win when your tyre life is not even in the same ballpark, no matter how careful you drive or how fast your car is in a straight line.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    Ddkklop, Pigems and KepleroGT like this.
  6. 05XR8

05XR8

Exactly this.

Pigems likes this.
  7. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

If I race in Manu tomorrow, which I really should, I'm in for a world of pain! I'll struggle to beat my 240 points from RBR in the deluge!

8. Rods

Rods

I’m sounding like a broken record here, but FWD cars on this track should be a disaster.

Ashthebash likes this.
  9. 05XR8

05XR8

Nations Slophy Cup should be fun. I'll be cruising(in my M4 Supra) anyway, but if I'm lapped, at least I'll have the track "to myself".

[​IMG]

Edit: Qualy went better than I thought

[​IMG]

Edit2: *yawn* Pitted three times just to add some excitement.
    [​IMG]

VulcanSpirit and Pigems like this.
  10. Lion-Face

Lion-Face Premium

Fia night again with a double dose of brands hatch

JEverettL, Pigems, Pfei and 1 other person like this.
  11. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

I wish I could use that for an excuse! Fact is my Aston will spend as much time in the gravel at Paddock Hill bend as it will on the track!

SmokeyMR2, Pigems and Rods like this.
  12. 05XR8

05XR8

Much better. Not really the result. I knew the short layout would kept me awake. Pitted at 7:15, 12:15 & 18:50. Plenty of passing, cars going off, players running long. Players I raced, gave room, didn't hold one another up. Some others were going off in pairs.
    [​IMG]

13. ShiftingGears

ShiftingGears

Vaulted up from competing in third split for Nations tonight up to the top split of manufacturers. Was just making up the numbers in Brands Hatch Indy, finishing 19th, could not get any pace out of the M4.

Pigems likes this.
  14. Adam Barber

Adam Barber

A one stop in the Nations and a two in the manufacturers seems most likely for me with Aston Martin. May use it in the nation's aswell, but we'll see.

CurbHog likes this.
  15. tankuroded

tankuroded

Wednesday: withdrew due to all-day illness and creative issues regarding EF7 livery.
    Today: withdrew to avoid disturbing a sleeping infant at home after arriving late from a campus event.

watto79 and Adam Barber like this.
  16. praiano63

praiano63 Premium

I hate FF cars in this game and i hate even more races on merry go round short tracks too.
    I will skip this stupid PD tracks and Renault megane stupid BOP this time , waiting for the next FIA events that have an excelent selection of tracks next round.

17. Kevstah2004

Kevstah2004

Nations, Race1: Qualified 4th, finished 4th.
    Recovery Drive:
    Guy in 3rd spun at the first corner and hit me, I fell back to 19th and got it back to 5th by lap14, then guy in 4th got hit with a penalty on the finish line :lol:

Manufacturer: Qualified 18th, Finished 14th
    Complete disaster, poor qualification, poor race.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    VulcanSpirit, Pigems and Adam Barber like this.
  18. stpatty

stpatty

Just had an absolute clownshoes performance in Manu

Qualified 15th in the Nissan, 3 tenths from pole
    First lap, third corner, the car doesn't turn in, or I zone out, something happens, I'm off
    Next lap I **** up the first corner completely and get stuck in the sand
    I fight back up a bit and there's a 4-way battle ahead of me. I catch up to it going into turn 4, after a BMW and Dodge have come to blows. To avoid ploughing into the back of the Viper I go right, cut the corner, get .5 seconds and end up miles away when I return to the track anyway
    I'm busy plodding away in 17th for most of the race as I start catching an Audi (who qualified 3rd, poor guy)
    The BMW from the first incident goes off and the TT goes past. I spend lap 27 catching the BMW. I hit him going into the first corner on the last lap because he was going so slowly. Same for turn 3. Then going into turn 4 I'm sandwiched between him on the right and an SLS who's caught up by this point. We go into turn 4 three wide, the inevitable happens, I get 5 seconds. SLS gets 2. BMW gets nothing.

I'm doing Nations in the Megane Trophy and I don't feel vaguely guilty.

19. breeminator

breeminator

Some disappointingly dirty driving in my manufacturer lobby. Someone brake checked me shortly before the finish line in qualifying, seemingly more concerned with ruining my lap than getting their own decent lap time in. Several people driving round slowly in qualifying, possibly fuel burning, but not making enough effort to stay out of the way of people trying to set times. And in the race, after starting 3rd, I was rammed by 2 people down to 7th. I eventually finished 2nd, ahead of all the dirty drivers, so I won't go as far as to say that cheats never prosper, but they didn't on this occasion. I couldn't tell if the winner was dirty or not, as he opened up a lead while I was down in 7th, and I held the gap fairly constant once I got into 2nd, but had no chance of catching him. The usual "could have gone better, could have gone worse", but it's a net gain of around 300 points, so I'll take that.

fia_manu_19102019_race_result.jpg

20. VulcanSpirit

VulcanSpirit

19:20 Manufacturers race was a write-off. Couldn't string it together in quali, then bottled it at Paddock Hill Bend and ended up 16th on a two-stop. Regrouping for a crack at the 22:00 race. More substantial write-up to follow.

SmokeyMR2 and breeminator like this.
  21. Tidgney

Tidgney Premium

Going to be streaming the Manufacturer series tonight, may jump on Nations but I'm live on twitch for those interested!

22. Cerebral303

Cerebral303

Nations
    Was with a slow crowd. Qualified near the top, and 1st was just 4 seconds away at the end of the first couple of laps. I started on Mediums by mistake but decided as I was near the front I would run them as long as I could, not enjoying the advantage of a full tank but lasting as long as I could. I almost managed to escape the carnage but Paddock Hill claimed me around lap 3 and I suddenly had 6 positions to make up, as first disappeared into the distance.

After consistently lapping well in the mediums until about lap 14, and keeping top 5 positions all the way, I was wondering how far I could push the tyres when I went wide onto the straight, clipped a back wheel and went very sideways, suddenly reckoned I had a chance to rescue it and pit, missed the entry, and didn't make the best recovery adding 7 seconds to the lap. If I hadn't tried to pit and just rescued the spin it would probably have only lost me 2 seconds.

I took that as a sign and got Hards the next lap, and found they had more grip than the Mediums I had just got rid of, so after getting used to them I started lapping a second or two faster than I had all race now the fuel had gone, and had relatively fresh Hard tyres by the end.

I came 2nd which was very considerate of me. I reckon 12 laps medium 7 hard would be ideal, but would start on Hard tyres and pit early before gaining back the positions on the undercut. So tempted to do the later race now.

23. stpatty

stpatty

I still don't like Brands Hatch. Impossible to get any sort of rhythm or consistency.

I enjoyed the Trophy though. I feel as if there's a lot more to get out of the car than I did, but I'm not going to learn it on that track.

watto79 likes this.
  24. Kevstah2004

Kevstah2004

The key is just to clip the corners, use the late braking and turnin angle to your advantage, let the car pull you around rather than steer.
    I’m nowhere the quickest of you guys but I managed a 46.700 opt on the shorter track.

25. stpatty

stpatty

I could do a 46.4 in the GT-R in practice, but it was obviously a lot worse in the rave with tyre wear.

The full track is just awful. Every corner identical - the same angle, the same camber, the same blind over a crest approach, and all too narrow on exit. Then the vaguest whiff of going near the grass or gravel and you immediately die. Not for me.

26. Kevstah2004

Kevstah2004

Yep it is pretty boring tbh, harder than Monza but easier than the Red Bull Ring.

27. 05XR8

05XR8

Tried my Alt account(B/S).
    [​IMG]

Entered the MAnu race and got booted while loading.

28. Kevstah2004

Kevstah2004

Nations, Race 3: 3rd from 4th.
    Had a tooth & nail battle with the German guy in 3rd for a few laps but eventually made it past and ended up with a 15-20s advantage over him at the end, but the guy in 2nd was 40-45s ahead of me.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Pigems likes this.
  29. Sharkart_Kun

Sharkart_Kun

This time I messed up qualy! I went wide and burned my tires, so I compromised all my attack laps.
    It shows in my racing that I was bummed, for most of the first stint I noticed I drived erractically. On the second stint I was able to keep it together and make some good overtakes.

Hopefully it's the last race I'll do with the G29 as my T300rs is in the way! :sly:

Edit: I'd like to hear what you guys think of the camera position and size on-screen! It would be great feedback!

Pigems, watto79, HellzFire and 2 others like this.
  30. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

I felt Manufacturers would be a disaster...

Nice to be proven right every now and then!

Can't do Brands Hatch Indy at the best of times, and last slot tonight was far worse than the best of times! Might make a fist of it at Yamagiwa although I've never driven the combined track so it's either that or Monza to sort it out for me and get me to the 5k mark

Pigems and JEverettL like this.