2019/20 FIA Exhibition Series Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by nissman, Sep 13, 2019.

1. CurbHog

CurbHog

Did not have high hopes for this race as I have been sick. I had #6 on the door and qualified 12th.
    I had read that the soft tires were what I should use, but I was undecided on a one stop or two.
    A weird lagging car impeding the start bunched up the mid field.... As I went in for my first change for a new set of soft, I had driven further on the initial set that I thought, so I started to think a one stop was possible,,,,, well you just have to watch it to see ... :-)

Winnie847, Landy1264 and JEverettL like this.
  2. GTWolverine

GTWolverine

Well, I have 2 Manu races in the books. I didn't even think of considering the Nations race as the "back" half of Brand Hatch is impossible for me to drive quickly. In the first Manufacturer's race, I had #20 as my car number, and I was the only Corvette in the room, so I was kind of expecting a little pain. I qualified and finished 15th after a rather clean race dotted with 2 off-tracks, the first of which was my own fault as I was a little too ambitious and took it 3 wide into the last 2 corners (I had a massive run on the 2 cars in front of me that I thought was too good to pass up). That race was a 2-stopper for me, with Soft-Med-Soft strategy.

2nd Manu race and I was car #9, and was still the only 'Vette. I somehow qualified 6th and passed 5th in turn 2 and managed to hold him off for several laps before he got by me. In the end, I did a 2-stopper, all soft tires this time, and finished 9th. In spite of starting with a higher car number AFTER I had a DR drop from the 1st Manu race, the point spread in both of them was almost the same, and I was pleased with my 2nd race result. I won't be chancing a 3rd race...

Also, does anyone know how much in-game free space you need to save a full replay of the FIA races? I've got around 115mb of free space and the game still won't save a complete replay and the replay crashes the game whenever I try to fast forward.

3. splitwindow

splitwindow

I'm counting the days to the next nations race.
    15 laps of Gr3 madness on The Mountain should be an absolute blast.

dlshearon likes this.
  4. HellzFire

HellzFire

Nations Cup race was nice. Almost got pole with an ok lap. On the race I spent most of it defending.

For Manufacturers I started 2nd again with an average lap. Almost impossible to overtake on this circuit, so my strategy was do the opposite of the car in front during pit stops. Unfortunately it didn't work out.

Winnie847 likes this.
  5. Master Weasel

Master Weasel Premium

Got my third win in Nations today! I qualified 7th and pole position was in a 458 Italia. I managed to make my way to second after a few laps and I was 3 seconds behind the Ferrari. But on lap 9, it made a pit stop, giving me first place. I did a no-stop on the medium tires and managed to keep it together long enough to take the win.

[​IMG]

In Manufactures, I started 3rd and finished 3rd. Went with a two-stop strategy. Nothing really noteworthy happened from my perspective of the race.

[​IMG]

6. Mistah_MCA

Mistah_MCA

Manufacturer - Brands Hatch Indy - Aston Martin V8 Vantage Gr. 4.

After the disastrous race from Dragon Trail Seaside II, I thought I was done with Manu. Or at least with Aston Martin. @CurbHog and a few others convinced me to give this next race a go, and so I did. Thank you, I owe you one.

I barely got back home just in time to enter the race. No warmup, so my qualifying is my warmup.

Started 16th. Throughout the race, some people sent themselves to the shadow realm, and I was on a mission. I think this is the first race (almost) ever where I actually started getting aggressive, going for an overtake if the opportunity presented itself. I did a 2 stop, going for soft tires in all stints.

In the end, I was able to climb into 9th place. An impressive performance, despite the odds being against me.

Still not sure if I'll do more races. I guess it's a matter of "do I feel like doing this race?" :lol:

7. 05XR8

05XR8

Did some laps for the Bathurst Nations race. In the RC F and AMG GT, I'm 0.4 seconds from the bottom of the top 10. Should be a good one.

8. Kevstah2004

Kevstah2004

9. watto79

watto79

Slight change to the updates. Today is Nations - Kinda okay - Manufacturers - Couldn't really be bothered.

Nations
    Attempted the 6pm slot and was in a 1.8k lobby. Struggled for pace, qualifying midpack and then just went backwards until I span at my absolute nemesis corner (Sheene). I hate the exit to that corner with a passion. Smidge of a tyre on the grass and around you go. Recovered to 11th and then had an amazing battle with a French guy who caught me up. They stuck a great move on me, forcing me to take a defensive line through Hawthornes and cutting back under me before the next corner. It was great clean racing. Sometimes even losing a position can be fun.

Went back in for the 11:20pm slot after a few beers. Not sure if that was wise. Now in a 2.1k lobby but somehow I was much more competitive. Still qualified 10th but was picking up positions following a well known EMEA player. Starts with M, ends with Z. Rhymes with hobos. We move up eventually to 4th and 5th after the pit stops. A group ahead attempt to take a corner 3 wide resulting in a spin out and 5 second penalties for the others (which was harsh on all concerned). We catch up and it's a tight battle. I could finish anywhere from 3rd to 6th. Hello Sheene curve you sunofabitch. Spin out, drop to 10th and fight back up to 8th, again with some great clean battles. It was a shame I never got a chance to see if I could stick a clean pass on M***z

Fun race for 1.3k (which will be disregarded) but screw you Sheene. Screw you.

20191020121839.jpg
    Gran Turismo™SPORT_20191020001007.jpg

10. pantherjag

pantherjag

Similar tale as previous rounds for me in that cant qualify but can race!!

NATIONS

Qualified 15th finished 9th in the trophy cup. Close racing throughout but very hard to pass unless car in front makes major mistake. Finished right on the bumper of 8th who had passed me earlier in what I would say was a slightly unfair manner but that would have been the optimal result from that race.

MANUFACTURERS

Only got home in time to enter last races of both Cups so got put in the top split for this one!!

Qualified 19th(hey it's not last) and finished 10th. Was a good race. 1 stopped the Citreon, made some decent passes and good race pace. Only thing is I donkeyed the pit entrance, hit the barrier which alone cost me 3 seconds then got a 1.5 sec penalty as well. Overall cost me 5 seconds and in all likely hood an 8th place finish but can only blame myself for that one.

Overall 2 enjoyable races with again mostly clean and respectable driving from those cars around me so no complaints.

Bathhurst next but I hate the middle sector however yamagiwa has generally been good for me so looking forward to those races.

11. VulcanSpirit

VulcanSpirit

So, as many of you can probably tell from my post last night, my Manufacturers meeting didn't go exactly as I expected it to.

Initially entered the 19:20 race with @SmokeyMR2 off the back of some promising runs in Free Practice and test lobbies. Yet, despite being able to set a 47.075 early in qualifying, I could not get the Viper to improve on this. No matter if I went faster in one sector on later laps, I'd always find some way of messing up another and ruining each chance I got before the softs started to give up. Brake bias adjustments did not help, either. So, with every chance of improvement wasted, I ended up starting a lowly 18th. Considering that the Viper could easily do sub-46 times in test lobbies, I was far from happy with how I did, even if the grid of 19 starters was only separated by 0.964 seconds.

The first few laps promised a reasonable shot at redemption. An off for the solitary Honda gives me one place up, but a mistake at Graham Hill Bend results in me sliding and getting my front bumper smacked by the passing Jamaican Scirocco. Not sure whether the Scirocco deserved the penalty he received immediately after - he had a clean line through the apex, and his pass didn't alter the fact that I had essentially thrown the place to him. But anyway, more offs in front of me - including one for an unfortunate Smokey - and a dive down the inside of his red Mercedes puts me up to 15th and in the mix for a solid midfield finish. For a while, it seemed like everything was making up for my shoddy qualifying performance... at least until the start of Lap 9.

Running wide at Paddock Hill Bend results in me touching the gravel and the Viper sent off into the inside tyre barrier, nearly collecting Smokey in the process. At this point, I didn't care any more about strategy - not that I had settled on one going into this race - and decided just to go flat out on a two-stopper. Not much else happened until the last 3-4 laps, when I got involved in a good scrap for 14th between myself, a Porsche and a rapidly-approaching Volex GT-R. By then, I had recovered to 15th, mostly by virtue of pitstops and Paddock Hill claiming another victim. On Lap 26, the GT-R makes a bold, but brilliant pass around the outside under braking into Druids; while I initially defend the inside, he sticks his ground and pulls out in front on the approach to Graham Hill Bend, putting me down to 16th as he proceeds to fight the Porsche alone. I was able to catch up to both cars as they squabbled between themselves, but despite a strong run down Brabham Straight, couldn't quite pull past the Porsche before the line.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20191019200425.png

With this, I initially had to make do with 333 points, as Smokey and I decided to try again for the 22:00 slot.

To make sure that I was still up to speed, I made another Free Practice run just before entering the second race, setting an average lap time of 46.436 seconds and a fastest of 46.283. This was encouraging, but it wasn't until after setting my first lap in qualifying that I found renewed confidence in my pace and the Viper's capabilities. An initial time of 46.984 was followed by a 46:809, then a 46.746, which was sufficient for me to start 6th, exactly four tenths off the pole-sitting Hyundai.

Unlike the first race, I quickly committed to a one-stop strategy on softs, which meant being extra careful with steering, acceleration and braking inputs. This also meant having to resist the temptation to fight the Mercedes in front for 5th place early on, and to be overly defensive when the red BMW once got close to my rear bumper for 6th. Fortunately, as it did in test lobbies, the Viper excelled at making the softs last; an off for the 2nd-starting Megane Trophy and an early stop for the Aston Martin put me up to 4th before I came in to pit on Lap 14. From there, it was a matter of keeping steady, consistent pace while maintaining an advantage over 5th place, which would eventually be taken by a GT-R. Since I had pulled out enough of a gap to not be challenged, I didn't feel the need to push any harder and ruin the tyres. So, the Viper returned home in 4th place with 16% fuel in the tank; the winning Hyundai finished twelve seconds up the road.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20191019224405.png

After probably the smoothest and most consistent race I've ever had, my evening's score jumped to 1,670 points, enough to propel me to provisional 5th for Dodge and 109th in EMEA. To top it all off, my DR was boosted to 49,606 points, not only repairing the damage done by the first attempt, but bringing me slightly closer to A+ rank than before. Can I get there next time round?

We'll see.

But for now, it's been another successful chapter in the Viper experiment, a worthy final showing for the Gr.4 version and a satisfying way to celebrate passing the 200 in-game follower count. :tup:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019 at 1:57 PM
  12. SmokeyMR2

SmokeyMR2

Great write up bud. If only you could have seen how big my eyes went as you spun in front of me, I thought for sure we were going to collect each other so i hit the brakes, swerved and must have missed you by millimetres :lol:

Well done on your 2nd run, good points well deserved bud :cheers:

JEverettL, watto79 and VulcanSpirit like this.
  13. Winnie847

Winnie847

I won't say I had great results yesterday, but they were good enough.

For Manufacturer's, I knew I had the one-lap pace around there in the BMW M4, but tires and fuel would be an issue.....yes, you read that right, fuel was an issue. I was one of the only cars, if not the only one who had to conserve fuel in that race, which I think is ridiculous. But I knew it was a problem since the last season I was with BMW. The M6 is decent everywhere, but the M4 is a pain with both tires and fuel. Qualified in P3 of the second-split lobby worth 2100pts. I decided to do a one-stop with mediums first as long as they would last, then softs till the end. Ran Mediums for 18 laps then softs for the remaining 10 which allowed me to make up positions at the end when most people's tires were dead...except the 2-stoppers. I dropped positions to all the cars that are OP on tires as expected, but settled for a solid P7 for 1431 points, which surprisingly put me in 1st for BMW under the current standings. Hopefully I don't mess this up! Two more rounds to go and the M6 is pretty strong at Kyoto I think, and decent enough at Monza to secure the win for my MFG.

Nations was ok as well. Top split lobby, don't remember where I qualified, maybe 13th? Ran the no-stopper and several others pitted to my surprise. Moved up a couple positions for P11. Should have been 9th or 10th but got into some heated battles early in the race that I did not win. Kinda got mugged at one point but it was nobody's fault, racing incidents where there's a pack of several fighting and people lose track of who is where. I almost gave it another try in the 2nd/3rd slots but decided to call it a night for Nations. I was really just trying to get a total of 5 scores that weren't too terrible for my standards, since I missed the first few races of this season. As it currently stands I'm ranked 23rd in the U.S. and 32nd in NA region with 2 rounds left. I think I'll sit out Bathurst as I'm way off pace there, but the final round of Gr.1 at Kyoto should be fun and I might be able to score some good points.

See you all in a couple weeks after the short break from FIA!

14. TRC_Stagger

TRC_Stagger

Not bad for a fat car.

dlshearon, Timlour, GT5Power and 2 others like this.
  15. Kevstah2004

Kevstah2004

16. joseph connor

joseph connor Premium

Did my first FIA races yesterday. Was great I thought, new to the game and new to this format of online racing, it's superb. Beats anything I've played before.

Races are intense, particularly when up front, managed to get a pole in a D race yesterday on the short track, couldn't hold it! ha! Should have gone 1 stop instead of 2!

Anyways, loving the game, only 10 days in, up to S99 rating now, just need to get myself out the Ds! Looking forward to lots more of the FIA races.

watto79, dlshearon, 05XR8 and 6 others like this.
  17. SpecMiata-JSW

SpecMiata-JSW Premium

Welcome, and keep it up, it only gets more fun and challenging!

Pfei, dlshearon, Timlour and 3 others like this.
  18. joseph connor

joseph connor Premium

Cheers, yeah, already struggling round Mount Panorama, 2:08:244 is the best at the minute, so plenty to work on there, Kyoto I'm miles off! Might need to be getting myself a wheel I think, and start reading about how to drive! :lol: Reckon overtime I'll get that down to a 2:05ish, but a 1.58.893(top at the minute), might take me a few years! (think yesterday, managed a 47.9 and a 1.32.2 on brands I if I remeber right, so about 2 and 5 secs off the pace there..)

A wee question, I don't use any assists bar ABS (kinda need to just can't control it if not), and I'm off and on with the traction control, just depends on how I'm feeling with that. Do you fast guys use ABS and TC? Or am I going to have to learn to live without them to get faster?

19. SpecMiata-JSW

SpecMiata-JSW Premium

Most top drivers use ABS I believe, none use TCS. If they did use TCS I would be shocked.

That said, I don't consider myself a fast guy, but a guy in fast lobbies who occasionally gets a lucky result if I practice and qualify well. That's very occasionally though. LOL! :lol:

Mistah_MCA and Timlour like this.
  20. OutlawQuadrnt

OutlawQuadrnt Premium

I didn't practice much for Saturday's combos but thankfully found pace rather quickly.

Had trouble getting in a clean flier for Nations but I pulled off a great qualifier on 3 lap old tires of all things! Unfortunately went with the slower no stopper strategy. Made me drive too conservatively and put me under constant pressure for a podium spot.

Had no intention of doing Manufacturer's until I saw the Euro Nissan driver get a strong result. A good qualifying but too much tire wear to challenge the Cayman and Megane.